It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheists Mostly Left Brained?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Hi Badmedia! Thank you for joining in.

Well as I understand it it's really not a matter of what one believes, but rather how does one come to those beliefs.

Yes, what conditioning does one receive?

Meaning, they have more of an understanding of things when it comes from the right brain. The opposite of that is when people allow the left brain to be filled by others, and they dismiss their right brain understandings. In which case these people are not understanding, but rather they are just accepting what comes externally.

Are they just memorizing information or are they actually inventing it?

I find most Christians and atheists to be exactly alike. Some may think they are completely opposite, but I see 2 sides of the same coin. They have both accepted what others say over understanding provided by the right brain. The only real difference between them is they have just accepted 2 different things.

100% agree.

Those who operate on feeding the left brain externally generally look for authority and credibility. That is how they decided fact from fiction. If someone with a bunch of degrees/certificates says something, they will accept that as fact. And then Christians of course do the same exact thing with the bible/church.

Often it is the "safer" route. If one doesn't have to think for themselves but uses the gray cells of another, they can avoid judgment. Shame enters the picture. "I will believe what I am told because I don't want to stand out as being different."

As such, atheism vs religion is really more of a symptom of a deeper problem rather than the problem itself. Getting people to change which authority they accept really isn't going to change much overall. They will still be blind and without understanding.

It is so comfortable and cozy in the tight little boxes. Anything that has a tight and low ceiling is most likely going to have the larger masses as members.

So here is the question - how do we know what is true and what is false? Oddly enough, in the answer to this question you will find reasons for many things, including life, death and the reason for so many people.

By trial and error. "Sensing" what feels right, which includes the left brain but is mostly the right brain.

"It looks good, sounds good, but does it feel right?" This is the right brain in action. There is that chemical again!

What is the logic behind finding real truth?

My input? Drinking doesn't work for me anymore.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

This part of the brain is there for a reason and to ignore or shut it off is such a waste. There is so much more waiting to be unlocked.

I could not agree more!!

The more boxes we get out of, the more opportunity there is to expand our gray cells. I know, I used to be a prisoner also.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Because most people are "left brained" (I hate that psudo-scientific term so), therefore most people of any (a)theistic stance will be left brained

And you like it that way?

Why would most be left brained? I happen to think there is some truth to this as I know addiction helps to cover over our feelings which are right brain. So they anesthesize them, and a lot of society is an addict.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

the penal gland is also thought to release '___' which many who have experienced the drug say its a complete out of body experience. possibly a gateway to other dimensions

--------------

Is it really safe to assume that atheism is against ALL ideas of GOD? cant the term "GOD" not be related to the idea of a deity which I thought atheism was.

The disbelief in all deities.

But then what if consciousness was referred to as god?

edit: new thought...

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Aesthetic]

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Aesthetic]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Since most posters are indicating their denomination I would as well.

I used to be an atheist but presently, I'm not one, nor am I agnostic, nor religious (Christian). I'm studying continuously the Christian religious texts both mainstream and non in order to prove to myself the existence or non-existence of the a god and whatever it is that is written.

It does seem that atheists are left brained since their presumed logic revolves around the questioning of a god-figure and the religion itself. However, there are always two sides in a story so unless a presumed atheist has pursued the theistic side exhaustively and disproved the existence of a god-figure then the person isn't more of a left-brain but still more of a right since not a lot of logic was placed in the discovery of a god but more of an emotional detachment from that god.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Unregistered]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aesthetic

the penal gland is also thought to release '___' which many who have experienced the drug say its a complete out of body experience. possibly a gateway to other dimensions

Well, many of us can say that we have experienced things that are not of this world! I'm not talking MPD'S (disassociative personality disorder) either.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
Yes, what conditioning does one receive?

The way I see it, these things define my experience, but not me. So it's a yes and no thing there.

Often it is the "safer" route. If one doesn't have to think for themselves but uses the gray cells of another, they can avoid judgment. Shame enters the picture. "I will believe what I am told because I don't want to stand out as being different."

Yeah, and as such people no longer trust in themselves. And then they embrace a society that pushes them down and enforces that belief. Then they accept and give another authority over themselves.

By trial and error. "Sensing" what feels right, which includes the left brain but is mostly the right brain.

"It looks good, sounds good, but does it feel right?" This is the right brain in action. There is that chemical again!

Ok, let me rephrase the question. How would you use logic to decide what is true or false. While it is a question I had with AI, it is really a big thought experiment.

So, do you have the intelligence accept sources as being truthful? IE: a parent figure? CNN?

If so, how do you then get rid of false things that have been accepted as true?

These kinds of questions.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Unregistered

It does seem that atheists are left brained since their presumed logic revolves around the questioning of a god-figure and the religion itself. However, there are always two sides in a story so unless a presumed atheist has pursued the theistic side exhaustively and disproved the existence of a god-figure then the person isn't more of a left-brain but still more of a right since not a lot of logic was placed in the discovery of a god but more of an emotional detachment from that god.

Very good!

The left brain (logic) comes in with the absorption of knowledge without the feeling attachment. Often some atheists will grab onto knowledge, and reason that no more is needed. Whereas, as you say; there may be more to a story than what is presented.

The problem: knowledge is only as good as the evidence shows or the persons qualifications. Unless we are talking pure evidence that is unquestionable.

How often is it "pulled & stretched" to fit into a set of beliefs? That is the question, and it happens within all belief systems.

The right brain when tuned, is our sensor for feeling if something is right or not. Often without proof. Gut instincts falls into this category.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Because most people are "left brained" (I hate that psudo-scientific term so), therefore most people of any (a)theistic stance will be left brained

And you like it that way?

Why would most be left brained? I happen to think there is some truth to this as I know addiction helps to cover over our feelings which are right brain. So they anesthesize them, and a lot of society is an addict.

Because, from an evolutionary standpoint, it's better to have a majority of a population to be LB, so that when the RBs come along they won't act in the typical fashion. Instead RBs will be likely to do things like eating the red berries or the funny mushrooms, which LBs wouldn't do because they might be poisonous. It's about conformity and innovation. Too much innovation and nothing really gets ordered, too much conformity, and the population will never adapt to change.

A better metaphor is leaders and groups. It's bad to have a group consisting of leaders because naturally the group will break down, but without at least one leader, the groups goes nowhere.

Note to add: I'm technically right-brained.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Ok, let me rephrase the question. How would you use logic to decide what is true or false. While it is a question I had with AI, it is really a big thought experiment.

You were one of the inventors of Artificial Intelligence, right?

To answer your question: logic in combination with my senses. What feels right, along with my life experience & or references that I trust. I don't mean to brag, but I have high EQ and IQ. But it is the EQ that is the most important. I lean on it far more than my left brain intelligence.

So, do you have the intelligence accept sources as being truthful? IE: a parent figure? CNN?

??? I think I understand what you are asking? Another words; who do I turn to as reference? Or who do I trust? That is a good one!

I have had to walk a lot of rocky roads to answer that one. A combination of many things - also God.

If so, how do you then get rid of false things that have been accepted as true?

By doing it! I am a very quick learner. I know when my way does not work. Also, listening. This may be a verbal listening or intuitive.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Because, from an evolutionary standpoint, it's better to have a majority of a population to be LB, so that when the RBs come along they won't act in the typical fashion. Instead RBs will be likely to do things like eating the red berries or the funny mushrooms, which LBs wouldn't do because they might be poisonous. It's about conformity and innovation. Too much innovation and nothing really gets ordered, too much conformity, and the population will never adapt to change.

Of course the best way is to be both. That way one won't be boring as hell and the other won't be buying fairy dust!

A better metaphor is leaders and groups. It's bad to have a group consisting of leaders because naturally the group will break down, but without at least one leader, the groups goes nowhere.

Look at nature. It has the green evergreens and the wild flowers. Which would you rather be? Both are needed in nature to add balance.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Thank you for inviting me MP.
Don't really have much to add except I agree with BadMedia asessment. Particularly the part of atheists and theists being pretty simular as it is an observation I have come across often.
But the thread did make me think of this Einstein quote:

Imagination is more important than knowledge...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Of course the best way is to be both. That way one won't be boring as hell and the other won't be buying fairy dust!

And most people are to some degree. This "right-brained or left-brained" thing is a false dichotomy, and hence pseudo-scientific for this exact reason.

Look at nature. It has the green evergreens and the wild flowers. Which would you rather be? Both are needed in nature to add balance.

But that doesn't mean anything. Every environment is different and unique and everyone changes unpredictability. Adaptation is a hit or miss game, which is why larger populations adapt faster and is why you need individuals willing to act without reasoning.

Trial & error + cause & effect = advancement.

For trial and error to work at peak efficiency, you need a proportion of RB's as explained.

You are reading too much into this.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

You responded as a right brained person to 5 questions, and you responded as a left brained person to 13questions. According to the Hemispheric Dominance test, you use your left brain the most. The summary briefly describes your dominance type.

www.web-us.com...

Took the test here, apparently i'm Left Brained. As far as the simple test is concerned though, don't read to into it though.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Thank you for inviting me MP.

Thank you for coming and sharing!

But the thread did make me think of this Einstein quote:

Imagination is more important than knowledge...

Ahh, yes! I love this quote of his. He understood the differences between the brain functions so well.

Imagination obviously comes from the right side. He attached a Godly element to this. He just didn't like religion at all.

Typical of his day, there was not the distinguishing differences of religion vs. spirituality that there is today, so I found him to be a little confused on the issue, because it was foreign. Not today. Many who would otherwise be atheists are finding other avenues of understanding that was only associated with religion and "church" in the past.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

According to this I am right brained. hEh, sounds about right. The test didn't seem very thorough though.........

Type of Cognitive Processing
Holisitc Processing information from whole to part; sees the big picture first, not the details.
Random Processing information with out priority, jumps form one task to another.
Concrete Processes things that can be seen , or touched - real objects.
Intuitive Processes information based on whether or not it feels right know answer but not sure how it was derived.
Nonverbal Processes thought as illustrations.
Fantasy-Oriented Processes information with creativity; less focus on rules and regulations.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

My view on Einstein in that particular subject was that he didn't really have a side but was harrassed by members of both sides and just answered honestly and both sides twisted his answers to suit themselves. It wasn't his spirituality he was trying to "sell" after all.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

And most people are to some degree. This "right-brained or left-brained" thing is a false dichotomy, and hence pseudo-scientific for this exact reason.

Based on what? I have read the books pertaining to this, have you? Plus I work in it.

The more society or a person is an addict or is running, the more they will try to block out their feelings (because they don't want to feel) which are right brain. What better way to do so than to go to strictly the left brain. It has no judgment! Poo poo the right as being clumsy or inept.

But that doesn't mean anything. Every environment is different and unique and everyone changes unpredictability. Adaptation is a hit or miss game, which is why larger populations adapt faster and is why you need individuals willing to act without reasoning.

Fact or assumption? Remember, reasoning is primarily right brain. Logic and information are left. So it requires both sides to reason. Reason involves "senses" while logic supports it.

Trial & error + cause & effect = advancement.

Or some might say: devolving.

For trial and error to work at peak efficiency, you need a proportion of RB's as explained.

You are reading too much into this.

All left brain. Tell me what bugs you about all of this. Am I striking a cord?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Very interesting test! I will use it on my subjects.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MatrixProphet

Subjects? Nice terminology, curious to see what you mean by that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join