It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheists Mostly Left Brained?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Intelligence does not infer the ability to be right. People who are not intelligent probably either accept what has been taught to them, whether that is through religion or atheism.

Yes! A sign of intelligence is one who "creates" the thought. Most; just quote.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions.
Their lives a mimicry.
Their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

On the left versus right brain 'thing', here's an interesting point of view.

Why a Left Brain society? - Amagons posts.

Yes, his were good!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

Thank you for your thoughts. I am not religious either.

Most atheists I find - do not make the distinction between a person who believes in God/Source/It/Creator and religion. I find that interesting!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thank you for your post. I am aware of what you are speaking of.

Things that did not hold meaning are now imbued with a deep significance , often interpreted as a deeply religious experience.

The challenge comes in however, when you cannot find a medical answer for phenomena that cannot be explained through logic. This then, becomes very interesting!

Of course, eyewitnesses help!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet

I am by no means saying that atheists are not bright. I just feel that they work out of more "filters" than someone who is more open minded.

By 'more open-minded' are you including the religious?\
If so, then this whole thing is laughable.
If not, then this whole thing is still laughable.

If you have a firm faith, why do you even care what Atheists think?
I don't care what the religious think about me.

NB, I'm left-handed. Sinister, isn't it!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Thank you! I know that I am raising some shackles and that is not my intent, but it is to question our beliefs even if they don't support ours. I think that is what ATS is all about and why I stick around. Otherwise, I would leave.

reply to post by karl 12

I really like that cartoon! Very apropos.

reply to post by kyanther

As an atheist, sometimes I wish that I did believe in a GD. It would make my life so much easier. But I can't trust a bunch of primitive peoples ideas.

My atheism has made me neurotic, suffer from panic attacks, deal with insomnia, obsessive.. all because my brain has been condidtioned to believe that these stories must be true, because they have survived this long, yet make no sense.

I appreciate your honesty probably more than anything on this thread!

Here is my take: redefine God!!! Leave the religious and Biblical one behind. Get to know a NEW God NOT of your understanding. This is why I wrote this thread: Are We Humans an Experiment...? I am trying to teach a new way of viewing God and I am using the science approach. View him as the greatest scientist of all!

Let go of the Bible stories. God doesn't need them!

I don't understand the comment about atheists not being able to pick out patterns, as I see plenty of patterns, EVERYWHERE. I know that this statement isn't true, and whoever made it is wrong.

The point: do you know what to do with those patterns? Some are right brained, but are conditioned to place more emphasis on only the left so this leaves many with an under-used creative, imaginative side.

reply to post by miragezero

but once I had some dim hope unnamed that our curiosity and technology would help us understand and become something better than what we are eventually... and it will! Transhumanism defined really set my mind at ease... even if there is no god we can still explore, live forever and discover whatever the universe has to offer.... i guess my new religion is technology, including mother nature's technology :-)

Awfully lonely! If you can withstand a concrete and glass outlook, then more power to you. But there are gray areas to life, also.

I prefer searching out the unknown that man cannot create. If we limit ourselves without the function of a higher consciousness (God). Then - how boring! To have our lives depend so much on man and his knowledge. Even if you would call my outlook delusional, then fine by me!

Atheism is far too dim and narrow. Come out of the box and search for a new understanding. You may actually find it will make you happier.

reply to post by pcgeek

I will not change how I feel to FIT IN. I choose to question the norms and will continue to, I never argue with religious folks, what is the point. We can never win because they have something we don't, BLIND FAITH.

But...don't you see! This is exactly what you are doing, fitting in. Different group, different religion, same box. Same words, spoken over and over by the same group. Each quoting each other.

Try very hard to come up with something original. My thread is original. Try it!

reply to post by n000b

Im going to piss people off when i say this :p but aint this what this sites for ?

Hehehe, and how long have you been here? Re-read the forums.

Again, the mental block! I am not talking religion! I am against religion. This is a standard left brain atheist argument mimicking other atheists.

reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

You take a concept (organized religion) and make it your own. Yet I imagine that there is more to it then religious followers think. There is no way what we have been told by normal humans is the base of our existence.

Maybe it is you who are left-brained, and can not think of anything besides an old tradition.

Oh my, sweetie! Did you read any of the op? At all? Any of the subsequent posts? I won't slap your hand too hard, but this is a case of contempt prior to investigation, or you need a new pair of reading glasses! Assumption can be an embarrassing thing at times, right?

What would your professor tell you, in school or not?

[edit on 18-5-2009 by MatrixProphet]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

But yes I'm a very creative person. I have a creative energy. I enjoy doing things in a non-traditional way. I'm very visual in my learning style, as well. Memorization isn't useful at all for me. I learn by doing. Hands-on.

Good! Thank you for responding.

Let me take a leap here. Then you do not have a mental block necessarily against the idea of God but one that has an emotional backdrop?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokémon

But yes I'm a very creative person. I have a creative energy. I enjoy doing things in a non-traditional way. I'm very visual in my learning style, as well. Memorization isn't useful at all for me. I learn by doing. Hands-on.

Yes, that good ole' religion thing. Couldn't agree more. The problem is in the listening skills of many posters. Or perhaps, their interpretation that is based on their perspective? Which in turn creates the inability to track with the OP?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mindmelding

Yes, totally agree! Good post.

It is conditioning!! I cannot emphasize that enough. The same goes for other religions, they are all about conditioning.

Attention all posters! Please put your Dawkins book down and attempt to listen to the thread. Please no more mimicking the Pope!

Thank you very much! Maybe now, we can have an intelligent conversation, and one that actually comes from each and every one of your own gray cells!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I thought of myself as atheist for a long time but have developed my own forms of what I believe to be true and it adopts many aspects of different religions.

Now, here is a person who is actually thinking for himself! No dogma or doctrine needed, no ritual - unless desired.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by n000b

i haven't seen no divine thing - i might do, so im not been ignorant or anything. i dont diss your beliefs i merely dont thing that if god was real, he would want us to worship him like we do.

Nothing but wars, genocide and much much more has been brought on by the belief of god.

Couldn't agree more!

You can't diss me, Hehehe, you don't have that kind of power. Thank you!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Religions right now only manipulate and control people.

But I don't think you need to follow a religion to believe in God.

I believe in God but I don't follow any religions.

Star for you! Finally someone "gets" it!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kissmygrits

I was not even aware that Atheists even had a Brain. I though they were powered by electrical autonomic impulses to just eat, sleep and make babies, much like a snail. KMG

Oh God are you funny!! Needed the laugh.

In all fairness; I have atheist friends here on ATS and I learn from the smarter ones, not the parrots. They can be very bright, but they have to work at it a little harder! Hehehe!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsup

I starred you!

The difference is, why throw the baby out with the bath water just because of a fallible book and people? You past the test! You found the faulty thread throughout history in the fabric of mankind, now look for other clues. Well done!

Wouldn't it be smarter to meet in the middle? Extremes in thinking are so bourgeois!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

gads, how could i not be right-brained! i'm a singer, musician, author, poet, and artist LOL! i'm also a christian!

No, you work out of both, as is shown by your talents.
We have this in common, except for the Christian part ( I used to be). Hehehe.

Your practical side takes over and this influenced your testing.

Thanks for your post!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
That test was very cool.

For the record... I am not exactly a devout christian, however I do believe in a greater power or some kind of ID or influence. I scored overwhelmingly on the right brain side, which was really not surprising.

I don't know if this has much to do with this, but I am a musician and wannabe writer with a day job in logistics for 20 years which is very
mathcentric.

I also had my wife do the test. She is in fact a devout Catholic, goes to church regularly etc etc etc. She scored as a "left brain" but only just, very close to even.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ExistenceUnknown

Do you accept the Big Bang theory?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by the_eighth_tower

Saint Augustine (354-430) once characterized existence as an ontological set of stairs leading to God. He maintains in his writing that God exists outside of time, and that the universe was created with time and not in time. Saint Thomas (1225-74) later put forth the argument for the existence of God by asserting that every event is caused by a prior event which leads back to the first cause which is God. But the argument falls down for the reason that causality is strictly a temporal concept and, by definition, has no meaning outside of time.

Good points. Infinite regression.

It doesn't mean it isn't accurate. Our understanding in explaining it may not be. Of course, we enter into multiple universes in which God can do anything from, and the fact that most of our universe is invisible and these laws are applied within our realm of understanding the visible.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

OP I believe you are correct in your way of thinking. The way of education is so left brained these days we forget about those who are right brained. I went to a community college in Colorado and was very disappointed at what they offered for music, I left and went to Wyoming of all places lol.
I wish I was more left brained at times but being right brained is what gives me creativity and innovation, a great gift for a music major.

Thank you!

You are a wildflower in nature rather than an evergreen. Nothing wrong with that!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Taking a break, will be back!!

Don't go away.

Sorry I am off an hour, so I have more time.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by MatrixProphet]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Doesn't matter the reasons behind a action. Only the results of said action. You can shake a finger and scoff at someone who works at a soup kitchen feeding those that cannot feed themselves because they do it for the emotional pay-off they recieve or to placate whatever god they happen to believe in all you wish. All that matters to me is that they are helping people and if they get something out of it, all the better I say. I dare to say that all of humanity if not all life does not do anything there is not some sort of emotional or physical or whatever else pay off. Look at it biologically any number of natural processes that we have also have a "feel good" physical sensation associated with them.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join