It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best thing money can not buy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
During these trying economic times, I think it's mentally healthy for us all to take a step back and ask ourselves "What is the best thing in life that money can't buy?"

For me, it's Solitude. I can see all the psychological reasons why this is a need for me - I'm an only child and a loner. I need this time to replenish myself so I can better give to my family and to others. Solitude, especially found in nature, energizes me and brings balance to my hectic life.

I can think of a myriad of things in life that are free to appreciate but I'd like to hear from other ATS members as to what, for them, is the BEST thing money can not buy.

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The best thing money can not buy is love.
Love of all things around you, nature, animal, mineral, or vegetable..
Love of family and friends.
Love of oneself.
Love for your fellow man.
With love..all else good just follows....

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Humility. It seems that the more money one has, the less humble they are...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I was going to say silence but in reading your post, you have hit the nail on the head.

Sorry to be a copycat but solitude it is, as I don't want total silence, just not anything man made, or man.

Am actually going out into the bush this summer to achieve this..

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Health.

In these times, if you aren't spending your time working, you have the time to run, bike, swim, or whatever suits your fancy.

It takes time to get in or stay in shape. When the economy is good people often spend their time working.

With time on your hands, spend it wisely.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I was going to say pretty much the same thing...

Love... Love of life... love of friends and family... love of your partner.... but you said it far better though...

still

I think I can add one... giving love.

As the Beatles said...

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by grover]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
A purrring cat laying on your chest when your trying to sleep.

Your kids in the kitchen arguing while they do the dishes [at least there at home safe]

Your dogs trampling in your garden.

Ah just living life without the expectations of perfection!!!!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
i would say a first born son and a second... but today in this world, well you know what i'm getting at.

$$$ money can buy everything... you can buy love in Vietnam. you can buy solitude in Antarctica. you can buy babies in Africa. you can buy humility in Columbia.... and drugs too.

everything has a price these days. everything.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSecretSquirrel
Humility. It seems that the more money one has, the less humble they are...

Hands down agree. Nothing shatters the rank structure that exists through every aspect of humanity like humility. No disrespect intended but even the E-PEEN system of stars and points and ego of the ATS board is attached to this.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Awesome guys!

I'm going to go ahead and throw in a few more....

Loving parents. Something not all of us have. Both of mine have passed and I didn't realize the depth of my love or the love they had for me until they had passed and I had a child of my own. Mine weren't perfect but, whose are? They loved me and for that I'm forever appreciative.

And speaking of children...my daughters laughter...priceless! A kiss or hug from her, she's autistic and not much into touchy-feely behavior and the older she gets these actions are becoming even more rare but, when I do get them - they are cherished!!

On a much lighter note, and perhaps not the *best* thing in life but hey, ATS is still free

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My friend's 10 week old baby was laughing his little head off earlier today.
That is something money can't buy, and one of the greatest sounds ever.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Without doubt, #1 is my guru.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The best thing for me is peace of mind.

Money can't buy it but it's hardly free - it's taken a lot of effort to achieve it.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Self Confidence....

The feeling of being at peace and secure in your own skin without all the doubt and quilt the world heaps on us.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The best things money can't buy are love, and existence. You love for free and you live in the Universe for free. Sounds good to me.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
To me it is the sound of laughter.

Better still is the sound of laughter from young children.

If one can obtain laughter despite their circumstance or surroundings then they have achieved true enlightenment.

Seriously, how scary can it really be if people are still laughing? Laughter helps put everything into it's proper perspective and make the darkest of hours, the thorniest of situations, the deepest of fears all fade away.

(But the person who said love comes in a close second!)

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
AboveTopSecret.com membership

We got the lot.....

Truth
Lies
Love
Hate
Friends
Foes
Shocks
Information
Thoughts
Feelings
Sharing
Discussion
Debate
Surprises
etc, etc....

and opportunities beyond anything else on the net.....all for $0.00

nuff said

[edit on 15/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Cool thread OP. Starred and Flagged.

I agree with the ones that said that the best thing money can't buy is

LOVE

Unconditional.

[edit on 15/5/09 by plutoxgirl]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Excellent replies all

For me, it is harmony -- balance between me and my environment that I am blessed enough to share with my darlin'.

It is raining now, and I'm cooking chicken enchiladas. Just a bit ago, we watched the anvil clouds diffuse the sunset, and tomorrow we will use that captured rainwater and start a new round of heirloom seeds for the garden extension. It's getting pretty big....... about 2000 sq. feet of deep beds.

Harmony. Being a part of the ecosystem, and not marring it much. Can't be purchased, only shared.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sarcasm.

Replenishes or rekindles the sense of humor, and stimulates the mind in such an effective way.

Think of of important it is to smile and laugh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join