It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New colored tags to replace the mystery colored bar...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I've just noticed the new system and I have to say that I feel insulted by a community I have contributed to for five years that I am now a mere novice.

It seems that I am lacking flags, why is that more important that applauses, of which I have quite a lot? Several mods have frequently told my that my contributions are valued and valuable and frankly I object to being 'blackmailed' (for that is what it feels like) to contribute more often than I do. I try to contribute only when I feel I have something substantial to add

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well this is neat

I wonder what color I'll be

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I don't normally respond to non-goldmembers but you seem like a decent young man...

While I can see the comedic value of that, if that sort of attitude becomes prevalent I'm sure this will become a thing of the past. Not speaking for Admin but cliqueishness(new word) is not something ATS aspires to.

Perhaps not but cliqueishness[good word] is human nature. It's obvious that the conservatives star and flag their buddies and the libs do the same reguardless of the quality of the thread or post. Hell, I'm guilty too. I have stared every dgtempe post I've ever seen because she sent me a sweet u2u once.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I am chuffed!!

At last,official confirmation that i am indeed,an internet geek!!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
For the record: SDog loves all the peoplez!

Now folks ...

For the second time in a week staff is attempting to do something nice for the membership. But once again many are focusing on the tags more than the rewards and staff appreciation (no ads) that we're being given.

Sheesh, can we give this one at least a couple of weeks before jumping at their throats.

Must we deconstruct everything to oblivion?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I completely agree with your case, and honestly, would feel insulted as well..

With 87 applauses I would say that's a dang good indication of quality posting!

Especially since most of your threads/posts where done before the flag/star system was introduced..

Like many of us who have been here for a few years. I think flags should be replaced with applause.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by waynos

I completely agree with your case, and honestly, would feel insulted as well..

With 87 applauses I would say that's a dang good indication of quality posting!

Especially since most of your threads/posts where done before the flag/star system was introduced..

Like many of us who have been here for a few years. I think flags should be replaced with applause.

I think a simple solution is to add flags and applause together as a single value. So rather than evaluate based on:

xxx posts, yyy stars, and zzz flags.

Instead:

xxx posts, yyy stars, and (zzz flags + aaa applause).

Or since applause is considered rare throw in a multiplier (say 2):

xxx posts, yyy stars, and (zzz flags + (aaa applause * bbb multiplier)).

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Xtraeme]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I can certainly agree with your idea.

But I still believe the flag function should be replaced by something that does not penalize members who don't create threads so much. That is not the only source of contribution as we all know.

~Keeper

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
PS

I do know the secret of the old colored bar system.

FYI.

It was based on the top contributing poster on ATS or the number of posts by that person, this person had full bars, everyone else underneath by lesser number of posts and bars, that is how the bar system worked.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

As with anything in life, I'm sure as this new concept evolves we'll work out a few kinks and improve it as we go. In the mean time, I think we're best served allowing it that time to evolve and not getting ourselves too hot under the collar. It does seem to be an issue that those members who have contributed extensively to our site prior to flags and stars are not fully being recognized under this formula. It is an issue that has been raised and one that I'm sure will be addressed, one way or another.

Give Bill the opportunity to have this concept evolve and see how it turns out.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
In the past I haven't been real big in thread flagging unless it is a thread that I want to find later and haven't posted in.

I will be more aware in the future of the importance of flags and will use the system to forward up the flags of those threads I find worth noting as especially well researched or interesting.

I think this is a pretty good implementation, and as a Solid Contributor I am in good company.

Thanks to all who have starred and flagged along the way, it has been set up so that there is a reward system of acknowledgment that we as members have the ability to use to show how we feel about posts and threads, I for one will be more starry and flaggy to represent my tastes in the quality of the board.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Yeah I was actually proud of the fact that I had a high applause ratio. And it does seem strange to be a 'novice' when I've been here for 5 years.

But, in the end, I don't really care about the trappings.

(edit, hit enter pre-emptively)

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Jadette]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Hmmm Ide have to say I like it somewhat. Either way whatever you do, cant please everyone.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
We could simply move on and continue posting threads, replies you know just going about our daily business on ATS. I am one of those who doesn’t start a lot of threads, and it is fair to say that it will be a long long time before I get bumped from novice. You know what I am ok with that.

I come here to read what people believe and try to learn more about life. To converse with like minded individuals. Not to have a pissing contest with what title I have or how many points I have. It’s time to grow up. If it bothers you that much your maybe you should take a breather for a little while.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Since people are upset that they're being labeled a novice. Just change the wording.

SOLID:
Our brand-new thread starters who are just getting their feet wet, the indicator requires at least:
20 posts, 10 stars, and 10 flags.

BRONZE:
The core of our contributing members who may not be able to spend lots of time authoring threads, the indicator requires at least:
50 posts, 50 stars, and 50 flags.

SILVER:
The first of our elite levels also triggers the code that removes ads from the discussion board*, the indicator requires at least:
300 posts, 300 stars, and 300 flags.

GOLD:
The second of our elite levels who see no ads on the board, the indicator requires at least:
400 posts, 500 stars, and 600 flags.

PLATINUM:
The highest of our elite levels who see no ads on the board, the indicator requires at least:
500 posts, 750 stars, and 1,000 flags.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Sooo.. your saying the old bar system was based off Intrepid lol? He has the most posts.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I think your title is a mistake and you are in the wrong category. Write to one of the supermods and have them look at it. That can't be right.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

nice try. People would complain about being solid. If you made the lowest level Gold, people would complain they are Gold.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Xtraeme

nice try. People would complain about being solid. If you made the lowest level Gold, people would complain they are Gold.

Heh, it's worth a shot no? I can see how people might be a little upset with the title "novice." It isn't very flattering. Solid on the other hand sounds down right respectable. I'd almost prefer Solid to Bronze

Having worked on Xbox Live I'm painfully aware of how easily people take offense. This simple change would resolve most peoples beef.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme
Since people are upset that they're being labeled a novice. Just change the wording.

SOLID:
Our brand-new thread starters who are just getting their feet wet, the indicator requires at least:
20 posts, 10 stars, and 10 flags.

BRONZE:
The core of our contributing members who may not be able to spend lots of time authoring threads, the indicator requires at least:
50 posts, 50 stars, and 50 flags.

SILVER:
The first of our elite levels also triggers the code that removes ads from the discussion board*, the indicator requires at least:
300 posts, 300 stars, and 300 flags.

GOLD:
The second of our elite levels who see no ads on the board, the indicator requires at least:
400 posts, 500 stars, and 600 flags.

PLATINUM:
The highest of our elite levels who see no ads on the board, the indicator requires at least:
500 posts, 750 stars, and 1,000 flags.

Ya know, that really aint a ha;f bad system you have devised there. This way nobody is a "novice" and we all get to move on with our lives. Would this not be acceptible for everyone?

Not half bad.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join