It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New colored tags to replace the mystery colored bar...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Oh my...

I feel like quite the underachiever...

I haven't started many threads since the flag system was implemented... now I'm "just getting my feet wet"?

Edit: ah read back and see that it's all been said before...

[edit on 15/5/09 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I like my novice status actually. While I easily have the the stars, posts and possibly applause (were it considered) for the Gold title; the lack of starting threads that grab flagging attention says something.

Like I either need to improve what I consider what may be worth talking about, use an absolutely catchy title or quit posting new threads at the times of the day when they go unnoticed. That or just play one for the masses that is nothing but fluff controversy in the flavor of the moment...no, sorry, I will not do that.

To date, the one thread that garnered the most replies of 22 was just a bit of a gag noting (and being) my 1000th post.

No, I think I shall enjoy my novice status and continue on with what I feel I do best: speak my mind when a subject moves me to do so. Star and/or flag what meets my criteria of mostly being either a quality post/thread/thought provoking expression of an idea...and sometimes the post that causes me to actually laugh or smile by the humor contained.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Remember what mom said?
If you keep playing with it you're going to break it.

Now is that what she ment all those years? *shrugs*

I thought it would make me Blind!?!

And once again...TINFOIL should be the highest title on a conspirecy site...

'Nuff Said...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I haven't had the time to read this entire thread, and the inevitable complaints, grousing, and general predictable disagreement with almost anything we try to do in making sure our discussion environment is among the best available. But, from many of the contrary opinions I've seen, many people appear to be missing the core point with doing something like this... acknowledging those who make the effort to create content that grabs our attention. After all, that's what sparks discussion on a discussion board, no?

These acknowledgements do not imply that those who mostly reply are not valuable to the community.

These acknowledgements do not imply that length of membership is not something we (ATS) do not treasure.

What these acknowledgements do is lend a very-favorable nod in the direction of those who take the time to consider (mostly) creating new topics that eventually spark discussion and debate. Without that, there's nothing much going on, is there?

Sure, the increasing scale of posts, stars, and flags are not perfect.

Sure, there is some level of abuse by those who simply star opinions with which they're in agreement.

Sure, some less-than stellar threads occasionally get lots of stars... but then, it's most-often because the follow-up discussion is pretty good.

But, it's a pretty good metric by which we can determine an effort to contribute content that matters. We hope most of our members are interested in compelling topics and showing appreciation for the segment of members who make an effort to give them to us.

That's all this is.

It's not a popularity contest.

It's not a clan flag.

It's democratic formula that plays no favorites.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The bottomline, the best just got better. IMHO

Now, I am wondering if there will be more new good surprises

[edit on 15-5-2009 by searching_for_truth]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Regardless of content contribution, most will look at it as being looked down upon. The mindset you all are creating is, hey im gold status, im smarter and better than you are!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The system is great... although applause should be taken into account, that's really the single gripe I have with it. Good thinking though, hopefully it doesn't term into an "achievement whoring" competition though.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Number of post = level of activity

Number of stars = how many people thought your particular posts where excellent

Flag = nothing but liking the topic

(I say liking the topic because you flag the topic if you feel it's important or what ever, but you star the OP's first post if you feel it was star worthy. Sometimes you do both, often you don't. I will often flag a thread without staring because the op didn't deserve it..)

I think Applause would be a much better gauge of "content" especially since many of us where here long before the flag system took off. That's my only bit of grief, and I think if the flag requirement was altered other people would be happier.

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
oh wow
Just logged on

thought it wasn't announced yet because no V2V annoucement

did a custom search and here I am

WOoo HOoo

looks cool!

ATS should make just one more higher level called "Superman"

With 10,000 flags and 50,000 Stars

I mean something almost unatainable!

And then 100,000 Flags and 1,000,000 Stars for GOD Mode!
Which should literally be unatainable
just to make more fun!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The concern with point systems is that it invites individuals with no self restraint the excuse they need to post frivolously to improve their standing.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEM0N
Regardless of content contribution, most will look at it as being looked down upon. The mindset you all are creating is, hey im gold status, im smarter and better than you are!

I don't see it having anythign to do with intelligence

And anyone who thinks that will simply be refuted one day when I either star them for an excellent post or flag them for an excellent thread.

Everyone is capable of this.
I think ATS members are more mature when what you are portraying.

EDIT: I think the keyword here is status for Content Contributor.
Doesn't that say it all?
I'm sure it's self explanatory
Contribution has very little to do with intelligence in fact.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I've read this entire thread, but think I may have missed something.

I've just been into BTS and found that all the stars are missing. Are we no longer able to star posts in BTS or is it a glitch?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

SDog and I are old [within context of the threadsphere] buds. He was just unleashing a wee bit of his humor. I understand how that might have been misinterpreted, but I know SDog is good guy, witty, bright and is one of the folks that really made me feel at home here when I landed.

SDog came here about the same time I did, and has really set the bar IMO for thread and posting excellence. *

* Okay, SDog, remember our deal. You owe me several duckets and a transparent deflecting cloak. You weren't fibbing about the cloak, were you?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Beware the Novice "Mafia", these guys are the lone gunmen from XFiles here at ATS. For those in the know, the "Dons" of that group are members with much experience here in the community.

You can spot them by the year they joined....because it was probably years before other Novices. Take head you were warned, the Novice Mafia takes care of it's own.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Never discussssss the family businessssssss in public. Today, I settle all family businesssss. Doan tell me you're innocent.

Novice corps? NEVER! Long live foiletry!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm pleased to see that people are rewarded for creating threads and getting stars.

Of course any Tom, Dick and Harry with a ridiculous story, or vague picture can jump up the ranks because the under-belly of ATS will jump up to star and flag them before actually paying any attention to whats been said or presented.

Obviously I disagree with your labelling system. You're going to give the impression that flags and stars equates to a weighty opinion and a worthy poster. And that is categorically inaccurate.

You've created a sytem that rewards peoples jerk reactions to OP's and rewards humourous posts that people star up the wazoo.

To fly up the ranks all you need to do is go to Skunk Works and type a load of balls with a theme that will get people up in arms or appeal to the lowest common denominater and those flags and stars will just roll in. And then you'll get a badge, and new people will see the badge and maybe offer appropriate reverance to what they see.

It's nice to reward people with badges, as long as they mean something. It's pointless when that meaning can be usurped so easily by shock posters...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I think that the bottom line here is that the site owners are attempting to remain dynamic, every time a "change" is initiated threads like this are smitten with differing opinions, which I'm not disagreeing with, I just don't like the way all of these things are examined down to the last detail, because it doesn't matter what the site owners and admin do some will never be happy period.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is a great incentive for getting out there and discovering what we are all truly capable of when we strive for excellence.

I feel this, sense this in my heart so I know that it comes from a higher vibrational level of respect from the Administration and beyond.

Thank you ATS/BTS/PTS for helping me reach to the Silver level, without your interest and connection it could not have been so.

Now SO, I Loved your status, Cosmic

Thanks for a great rating system.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
It's democratic formula that plays no favorites.

Just had to come back on this one. Becuase thats just rubbish.

It plays favourites to thread starters, regardless of content.

If you value long term members, or those that reply prolifically, then why not have badges for them too? Because without them you wouldn;t have discussion at all.

This is juts like the 'Type 100/whatever' characters before you can post a reply rubbish. It's something that sounded good, something that you guys thought was doing something useful, but that ultimately you missed the point with.

Rewarding flags and stars is a terrible metric when you have no control over how people apportion flags and stars...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I think some people are entirely missing the point (big surprise):

I agree, but not about which group it is.

This is and has always been (the old bars) about CONTENT contribution not seniority.

Contributions are found INSIDE of threads ( where i tend to contribute) and yet the points system rewards those who creates threads instead of those who make them worth reading by contributing!

Perhaps i am just paranoid, in this instance, but doesn't that then imply that the points system encourages boundless thread creation with as much contrived controversy so as to best draw those who actually do the work of contributing thus gaining attention and flags?

My 'paranoia' would be much alleviated if there was a Flag and Applause equivalency, say 20 -30 flags ( most people get about 1 applause for 100-150 posts) per applause received ? I reckon that could be fine tuned to give a good result that will encourage both good content and interesting new thread topics but as things stand the ATS owners ( or staff?) is basically telling those who don't create threads that they are not contributing to the 'content' and thus not deserving of being recognized.

I suppose i should raise my 'idea' somewhere else but frankly since i have not contributed so far ( according to this system) perhaps my opinions and ideas is exactly as valuable as is currently being indicated? I hate to talk about 'points' at all but i does lead to a certain level of 'irritation' ( call me emotional) when something as obvious as applauses isn't accounted for at all, thread creation made very important and post volumes set very low.

Stellar

[edit on 15-5-2009 by StellarX]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join