It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing photo of the Sun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Awesome find, and truly amazing pics!

Thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Raabjorn

Our sun is really big but its just a grain of sand compard to some of the other large stars/suns in our galaxy and the universe. I found this very cool video presentation, it's short and there is no music, enjoy.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by reugen

This is a point that's been brought up time and again.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Darn Welfhard, I'm scared to death right now!!!

(btw...this adds to my theory of the infinite scale of things...
)

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by theufologist

There are bound to be plenty much larger stars out there than that even. What I would love to know is how large a star can be before... ?? ...what would happen if a star was too big? I'd love to know that aswell.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

you cant get a star that is "to big" or it will not form

logical answer to your question

i feel like spok from star trek i need less coffee

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
OMG, imagine the size of that ship...

it's like Arthur Clarke's "Rama", that's the first thing i thought of.

Or maybe an Imperial Cruiser from Star Wars

What the hell si that? I hope it was heading out of the solar system...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Supercertari
Daft (but serious) question for someone astronomically minded out there how can that be when the sun is THE light source?

I'm no expert, but I imagine white light coming our way from the edges of the photosphere (the solar atmosphere) would be subject to the same relative refraction effect that give us red skies at sunrise and sunset here on Earth.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
hi OP nice picture but it still does not compare to the sight of the sun through a pair of binoculars with the special solar paper to protect the eyes.. The solar paper blocks out about 99percent of the dangerous rays that come from the sun and show the sun with it's true color which is kind of a white color.. Hopefully sometime I will get to see a Venus transit when the weather allow's it..

Not to take away from the pictures you linked. they are kind of cool..

peace

daz

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by symmetricAvenger

you cant get a star that is "to big" or it will not form

I was meaning for a star, what is too big and why?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by WonkoTheSane
reply to post by ngchunter

Still think its real buddy? I'd say the science points to HOAX.

I'd love to see where you think the science points to a hoax. Of course I'm still 100% confident it's real; I've seen the shuttle and space station in orbit for myself, and Legault's images are entirely consistent with what I've seen.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Supercertari how can that be when the sun is THE light source?

We view objects by the light wave emitted OR reflected from an object. The surface of the sun is not an even light source... hence darker areas that are not emitting as much light.

But look at a light bulb in a room with no other light source. Can you not see that the bulb is round?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Supercertari
Great picture and links to follow through as well.

In a photo of a globe there are areas of light and shade relative to the light source. In this picture there is also a change in shade that shows the sun as a globe rather than a circle, daft (but serious) question for someone astronomically minded out there how can that be when the sun is THE light source?

It still looks like a globe with the shading because the centre areas are still brighter than the edges even with most of the visible light removed with the filters the photographer used.
You could think of it in a way as at the edges there's less sun behind what you can see in the image adding to the brightness compared with the centre of the image, where the sun is thicker.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
there is of coarse no such thing as light from the sun..
what comes from the sun is actually electro-magnetic radiation.
And this electro-magnetic radiation when it interacts with the molecules in the atmosphere of the earth make it appear as light to our eyes..

peace

daz__

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
nice. what a great photo you posted. hopefully the hubble telescope upgrade can get us some greater shots of far away planets

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by daz__
what comes from the sun is actually electro-magnetic radiation.

Well since light is a portion of that electro-magnet spectrum, any EM radiation leaving the sun at the wave length of visible light would be...

LIGHT

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by daz__
what comes from the sun is actually electro-magnetic radiation... it interacts with the molecules in the atmosphere of the earth make it appear as light to our eyes..

Yes, of course, that's why you can't see the sun from a spacecraft orbiting above the atmosphere, or from the moon, right?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join