It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetosphere Watch Thread - Pictures - Latest Information -

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Star and flag for you my friend. I was very interested in your previous Magnetosphere Thread and find this topic to be worthy of keeping track of.

Cool thread!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Ongoing research by ESA with the Cluster mission:

sci.esa.int...

THE MISSION:
Cluster is currently investigating the Earth's magnetic environment and its interaction with the solar wind in three dimensions. Science output from Cluster greatly advances our knowledge of space plasma physics, space weather and the Sun-Earth connection and has been key in improving the modeling of the magnetosphere and understanding its various physical processes.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Funny one thing I notice with any of your postings you always want to take things down to the level of "tit for tat". I will not do that, you go ahead and have fun, but also notice I put references to websites in lots of my postings to show where the information comes from and I do an external quote with it.

I will not go down to where you like to try and take some of my threads - so do your little "tit for tat" and do all you can to tear apart information - but I would advise you looking at all the links I put in also.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

You are dispensing incorrect information.
I am merely correcting it. Denying ignorance, as it were.
I did read your links. Maybe you should read them a little more carefully.

[edit on 5/11/2009 by Phage]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It will be interesting to keep an eye on this as we approach the galactic equinox (that 2012 thang). Supposedly, we are to pass through some kind of gravity wave, which might be that thang that is responsible for those periodic pole flips here on Earth. It may even affect the sun too. I guess we'll know soon enough, three and a half years is not that long to wait, and maybe we'll know sooner than that.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Excellent post! But let me ask you. If the perfect storm, so to speak, were to occur and a full burst of solar discharge was to go right through the hole in the magnetoshpere and hit us head-on. What do you think would happen?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The 2012 Apocalypse — And How to Stop It

For scary speculation about the end of civilization in 2012, people usually turn to followers of cryptic Mayan prophecy, not scientists. But that’s exactly what a group of NASA-assembled researchers described in a chilling report issued earlier this year on the destructive potential of solar storms.

Entitled "Severe Space Weather Events — Understanding Societal and Economic Impacts," it describes the consequences of solar flares unleashing waves of energy that could disrupt Earth’s magnetic field, overwhelming high-voltage transformers with vast electrical currents and short-circuiting energy grids. Such a catastrophe would cost the United States "$1 trillion to $2 trillion in the first year," concluded the panel, and "full recovery could take 4 to 10 years." That would, of course, be just a fraction of global damages.

Good-bye, civilization.

Worse yet, the next period of intense solar activity is expected in 2012, and coincides with the presence of an unusually large hole in Earth’s geomagnetic shield. But the report received relatively little attention, perhaps because of 2012’s supernatural connotations. Mayan astronomers supposedly predicted that 2012 would mark the calamitous "birth of a new era."

Nothing we didn't already know but the article highlights a secondary interview in which a question is asked as to whether or not we can stop such an apocalyptic event:

Wired.com: What’s your solution?

Kappenman: What we’re proposing is to add some fairly small and inexpensive resistors in the transformers’ ground onnections. The addition of that little bit of resistance would significantly reduce the amount of the geomagnetically induced currents that flow into the grid.

.....thereby dampening the effect of any large geomagnetic storm.

-Dev

Edit for Grammar

[edit on 12-5-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The Sun's magnetic field reverses every 11 years. It has no direct effect on us.

I don't think you seriously believe that, and if you do, you need to know a few facts before you make claims about a subject you haven't studied.

Effects of solar activity on myocardial infarction deaths in low geomagnetic latitude regions

Journal Natural Hazards
Publisher Springer Netherlands
ISSN 0921-030X (Print) 1573-0840 (Online)
Issue Volume 32, Number 1 / May, 2004
DOI 10.1023/B:NHAZ.0000026789.71030.31
Pages 25-36
Subject Collection Earth and Environmental Science
SpringerLink Date Tuesday, October 26, 2004

PDF (113.0 KB)HTMLFree Preview

Effects of solar activity on myocardial infarction deaths in low geomagnetic latitude regions
Blanca Mendoza1 and Rosa Diaz-Sandoval1

(1) Instituto de Geofísica UNAM, Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 México D.F., México. Phone

Abstract We study the effect of solar activity on the incidence of myocardial infarction deaths (MID) in Mexico. We work with 129,917 cases along 1996–1999, grouping the data by sex and age, and considering the solar cycle phases. At higher frequencies the circaseptan is the most persistent periodicity in MID occurrence. During solar minimum the circaseptan period is not detectable compared with solar maximum. During Forbush decreases and geomagnetic activity, most cases present a higher average MID occurrence. Furthermore the MID rate is higher as the level of the geomagnetic perturbation increases. Male MID rates are in general higher than female rates and the difference increases as the geomagnetic perturbation increases. The age group with the lowest MID incidence is 25 to 44 years, the age group of 65 years is the most vulnerable. We conclude that solar activity does affect MID at low geomagnetic latitudes and that the solar maximum is the most hazardous time for MID incidence.
myocardial infarctions - cosmic rays - geomagnetic phenomena

www.springerlink.com...

doi:10.1016/S0273-1177(01)00379-9

Copyright © 2001 Published by Elsevier Science Ltd. All rights reserved.
The effect of solar activity on ill and healthy people under conditions of neurous and emotional stresses

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

I. G. Zakharov and O. F. Tyrnov

V. Karasin Kharkiv National University, 4 Svoboda Square, Kharkiv 61077, Ukraine

Available online 3 January 2002.

Abstract
It is commonly agreed that solar activity has adverse effects first of all on enfeebled and ill organisms. In our study we have traced that under conditions of neurous and emotional stresses (at work, in the street, and in cars) the effect may be larger ( 30 %) for healthy people. Our calculations have been carried out applying the epoch-superposition method, spectrum and correlation analyses to daily data over a 1992 to 1994 period from three independent databases (Kharkiv City) on patients (adults and children) suffering from mental diseases and physical traumas. The effect is most marked during the recovery phase of geomagnetic storms and accompanied by the inhibition in the central nervous system.

www.sciencedirect.com

Biochemical Parameters of Human Health Monitored in Season of Low and High Solar Activity

Jana Štetiarová, Oliver Dzvoník, Karel Kudela, Peter Daxner

Abstract— In work (Dzvonik et all, Studia
psychologica, 48, 4, 273-292, 2006) was monitored
possible connectivity of space weather and some
parameters of mental performance and health in
aviation personnel
. In next study we analysed the
distributions of some physiological and biochemical
parameters monitored in Air Force Military hospital
Košice during season of low and high solar activity.
Statistical tests shows significant differences of high
density level cholesterol distribution, haemoglobin
content distribution, erythrocytes distribution and
erythrocytes sedimentation distribution in these two
data samples. The results are discussed in comparison
with similar empirical determined connectivity of
other authors.

ecrs2008.saske.sk...

2002: Breus T K; Pimenov K Yu; Cornélissen G; Halberg E; Syutkina E V; Baevsky R M; Petrov V M; Orth-Gómer K; Akerstedt T; Otsuka K; Watanabe Y; Chibisov S M
The biological effects of solar activity.
Biomedicine & pharmacotherapy = Biomédecine & pharmacothérapie 2002;56 Suppl 2():273s-283s.
The synchronization of biological circadian and circannual rhythms is broadly viewed as a result of photic solar effects. Evidence for non-photic solar effects on biota is also slowly being recognized. The ultrastructure of cardiomyocytes from rabbits, the time structure of blood pressure and heart rate of neonates, and the heart rate variability of human adults on earth and in space were examined during magnetically disturbed and quiet days, as were morbidity statistics. Alterations in both the about-daily (circadian) and about-weekly (circaseptan) components are observed during disturbed vs. quite days. The about-weekly period of neonatal blood pressure correlates with that of the local geomagnetic disturbance index K. Circaseptans which are seen early in human life and in various other forms of life, including unicells, may provide information about the possible site(s) of life's origins from an integrative as well as adaptive evolutionary perspective.

www.biomedexperts.com...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Schumann Resonance and Sunspot Relations to Human Health Effects in Thailand
Journal Natural Hazards
Publisher Springer Netherlands
ISSN 0921-030X (Print) 1573-0840 (Online)
Issue Volume 29, Number 1 / May, 2003
DOI 10.1023/A:1022949016899
Pages 1-11
Subject Collection Earth and Environmental Science
SpringerLink Date Tuesday, November 02, 2004

PDF (119.5 KB)Free Preview

Schumann Resonance and Sunspot Relations to Human Health Effects in Thailand
Neil Cherry1

(1) Human Science Department, Lincoln University, Lincoln, New Zealand

Abstract There is sensible scientific evidence to establish a trail of connection from the sun activity to human biological and health effects. This explains why sunspot numbers and indices of Geomagnetic Activity are correlated with serious human health effects in a large body of published studies. The key element is the role of the Schumann Resonance signal that is detected by human brains and is used to synchronize diurnal and ELF brain rhythms. The Schumann Resonance signal intensity is modulated and highly correlated with solar activity and the electron concentrations in the lowest layers of the ionosphere. The enhanced or weakened solar activity moves the level of the SR signal outside the normal homeostatic range and, through the Melatonin mechanism, causes health problems and enhanced death rates in large human populations. A five-year monthly data-base is used to confirm the correlation between the climatic factors of Sunspot Number, Southern Oscillation Index and Global mean temperature anomalies with the SR signal strength. The Sunspot Number emerges as the strongest factor. A 19 year data-set of annual mortality rates in SE Asia is used to seek evidence of correlations between human mortality rates and the sunspot number in order to support and confirm the SR hypothesis. A wide range of mortalities that are associated with Melatonin reduction, are found to be significantly correlated with sunspot number, including cancer, cardiac and neurological mortality.

www.springerlink.com...

Here are a couple more examples.

www.psychologia.sav.sk...

mearim.cu.edu.eg...

I can post links to dozens of similar peer-reviewed research work, ALL which show that changes in the magnetic field of the Sun, and that of the Earth, as well as atmospheric pressure oscillations (APO) affect human health.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Sorry, but what, exactly, was the point of that post? I mean, you're posting information that shows a correlation between heart attacks and space weather. Why?

Research is great, now make your point.......

-Dev

Edit: Ok, I see. One question: In the first study cited, how prevalent do you think Atherosclerosis was in those who suffered Heart Attacks during heightened Geomagnetic activity?

[edit on 12-5-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
very interesting read. thanks for everyones contributions. one question however...in the OP, you gave a link to a site that provides up to the minute data on the earths magnetic field. very interesting how it seems to change every time you reload the page. im very uninformed on the magnetosphere and what those charts represent. the changes seem to be quite drastic sometimes, so can someone explain what those changes mean?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Because a member claimed that Solar activity does not affect humans at all, when the fact is the contrary.

Solar activity does affect human health, including infants and young people, and can cause death on older people.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ledhead

Let Me Google That For You!

Couldn't resist......

-Dev

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

First of all, the point that Phage was making was in reference to the polar flip on the sun, not the effect solar radiation has on mortality rates.

Second of all, corellation does not imply causation!

How prevalent do you think Atherosclerosis was in those who suffered Heart Attacks during heightened Geomagnetic activity?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

There is no massive hole in the magnetosphere. You may be thinking of the "breach" that was observed in 2007. It was temporary.

The Earth's magnetic field has also been weakening since about 1845, and it is now 10-15% weaker than it has been for thousands of years. The weakening of the field is different in different regions of the Earth, and these breaches that have been occurring will continue to occur because of the weakened magnetic field, and the activity of the Sun, both which seem to be also affected by some new region of the LIC, from outside the Solar System, which we have been entering.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

First of all Phage claimed, and i quote:

The Sun's magnetic field reverses every 11 years. It has no direct effect on us.

Second of all perhaps you would like to show us your own peer-reviewed research work which refutes the research from those papers I quoted from.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ledhead

The link in the OP is to a computer simulation:

The real-time magnetosphere simulation is carried out using the MHD code developed by Prof. Tanaka. Input parameters are taken from the real-time solar wind and interplanetary magnetic field data observed routinely by the ACE satellite.

www2.nict.go.jp...

At various times the data provided by the sattelite less than reliable. When the simulation does not receive valid data the results can be...odd. It also seems that when certain parameters fall outside certain levels the simulator has a hard time dealing with it.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Haha good thinking. Can't believe I didn't think of Wikipedia this day in age

reply to post by Phage

Thanks. You really learn a lot about examining every aspect and detail about everything here on ATS. I will read more carefully in the future

[edit on 5/12/2009 by ledhead]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   

You should really pay attention to Context

The exchange was as follows:

Originally posted by antar
Is the sun changing it's poles ahead of our pole reversal or shifting of the earths axis?

If so what happens within our solar system when our sun undergoes its polar reversal which happens periodically, and then how does that shift affect us on Earth?

And Phage Replied:

reply to post by antar

It is obvious that he was referring to the fact that solar magnetic field reversal does not affect us directly.

The burden of proof, or any substance, is on you, my dear friend. Besides, you never answered my question: How prevalent do you think Atherosclerosis was in those who suffered Heart Attacks during heightened Geomagnetic activity?

-Dev

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

First of all, the point that Phage was making was in reference to the polar flip on the sun, not the effect solar radiation has on mortality rates.

BTW...several of those peer-reviewed research papers I quoted from show that changes in the MAGNETIC FIELD OF THE SUN affect human health, and can cause death, it has nothing to do with solar radiation...except of course magnetic fields are a form of radiation, but you were probably talking about solar irradiance.

When the Sun's magnetic field flips it does cause health problems on humans, as well as other effects, such as mood changes etc...

[edit on 12-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join