It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do all the stars come from???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I have my own theory but I feel I must bring this to the attention of the board. Am I the only one noticing very rapid stars being given to people, especially during a debate type thread (example being Mikesinghs new thread but there are MANY others). I am not complaining out of jealousy as I get many myself, simply wondering is this due to staff members or lurkers or what????

It is like there is an "outside observer" in these threads. Maybe it is just the members keeping up with the thread but I think it is more than that. I don't know maybe I am just being paranoid.........

Also I have said it before and will say it again, I think that stars are being abused by different sides of ATS. I am not trying to create drama or anything, I am just asking an honest question and making a comment on some of my observations.

Thanks~Justin

Edit to add with permission of original poster ATS Staff Response

[edit on 5/9/09/09 by junglejake]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think that's a fair question JKrog, and I don't have an answer, but a possible hypothesis.

I will post on a thread wherein I think there is something I can contribute to the thread that might be interesting or beneficial to it. Quite often a thread is interesting to me, but I don't sense a clear direction that I can contribute. I tend to avoid making posts that are just "WOW! GREAT video/photo/analysis, etc."

On Mike's thread, for instance, I did that very thing, but then as more information came out, I gave stars to posts that provoked thought and intrigue.

Another example: Sometimes if there is a heated debate, I will star a post simply for being well thought out and a good point, regardless of whether I agree with the point or not. I think there must be a lot of folks that do this -- view a thread, read posts, star those they like and leave, like a whisper.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

LOL, thanks for your reply, I liked the "whisper" analogy!

I understand that, but some of them are like one liners that contribute nothing. That is my second point of this board question, I feel (I am not alone either) that the star system is being abused by the two 'factions' of ATS..ie; believers and skeptics (although I am with Skyfloatings philosophy that they dont exist really). Back on the other point, I know non-members can't star, but I also know there are many 'lurkers'.........for example, in my latest thread I have like 39 flags and "+6 stars"..I haven't got near that many different responses. I am not complaining by any means, I am just curious as to members and staff opinions on exactly what is happening here. Now back to the abuse of stars.......I have said it in Mikes new thread, I just think they are being abused and given for reasons other than quality of post, more like who posts it and in reply to who.

Switch up again to my first point (stay with me here,lol)........I often wonder if staff members are behind the scenes, like a 'judge', giving stars for like what you said, a "whisper".

Maybe all my recent research has gone to my head and made me a conspiracy nut though,lol(I am not saying it is a conspiracy btw).

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

This is of course from people who stop in and read the thread, or one individuals post within that same thread, and they decide not to post anything, but want to give recognition to the person they agree with.

Everything that has a question has of course, an answer.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Many posters here, at least I do, read quite a lot more than they post. If I see somebody in a thread with whom I agree, and can't be bothered to make a reply myself, I'll star it.

I imagine it's the same for many others.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Okay, I assumed that much, there must be A LOT of people observing threads then,lol.

My other point is still unresolved however, but I will let that go I guess. I am sure it will be dealt with accordingly.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
LOL, now watch me never get starred again,lol.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I am not complaining out of jealousy as I get many myself

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/515641955153.jpg[/atsimg]

I don't know maybe I am just being paranoid.........

On Topic:

Yes, the star system is questionable...but when you get 'selective thinking' you get abuse...

Only a generalization, but a fair one IMO...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

I only said that so my question didn't get construed as ego based. But that was funny however

Maybe I shoulda used someone elses thread as an example, I forget how easy it is to get flamed on ATS,lol.

Anyways I was just wanting members opinions on why they thought it was going on, and thats what I got, so I am happy (again not being narcissistic)

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
In reference to your second point, I've thought the same thing for a long time. I honestly believe some posters go into threads and give stars to A for debating with B just because they don't like B. It doesn't really matter what A says so long as they are disagreeing with B. So yeah, I think the star system is abused to an extent which is part of the reason I don't pay attention to stars when reading through a thread. I've seen posts with little substance but a lot of paranoia get tons of stars while posts with tons of information disproving the paranoia get ignored because they aren't far enough out there or outrageous enough to garner a response.

Some of the one or two liners get a lot of stars for being funny too though I think. I know I've given stars to one or two line posts if they made their point and were funny at the same time, so I'd imagine others do too. It doesn't happen often, but when I find a post that literally makes me laugh out loud I give it a star.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Well natured you are...

There have been many discussions/Threads in regards to both the star and flag system...some good ideas have been thrown out there.

But as much time as it takes to maintain this kick ass site, we can only be patient and hope the system works itself out...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

THANK YOU.....I am glad someone addressed my second point. As I said I am not the only one to notice this. I am not in any way being narcissistic, if I come off like that I am sorry, it is just me.

To be honest I don't know if star give points and I really don't care. I know they add respect to a post and thus if given inappropriately give undo respect and attention to members or posts.

I am not talking about OPs either, just the ensuing debates within the thread.

As far as my first point goes, I already suspected that, I just wanted clarification. Sometimes I ask questions that might be obvious, but if I or someone else doesn't who will?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

Thanks
I like to think of myself as easy going and not to serious (again not being narcissistic,lol, just a joke!)

Maybe you can clarify something for me........Do stars give points? I remember hearing they give two, but recently I heard they give none, I really don't care as that's really not the point of the system. I am just an inquisitive person if you haven't noticed,lol.

EDIT to add: I like your quote BTW,

[edit on 5/9/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Let's try an experiment and figure it out for ourselves dude...

YOu have 75012 points right now...good job btw...

I will now go star your LAST post ans see if the total goes up...

Be right back...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I just star'd your first post on the 'Dead Professor' thread...

Star = 1 ?

Total edit!

[edit on 5/9/2009 by chapter29]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Nah, it's not just you. I've noticed it almost ever since the stars were first implemented. For what it's worth, I didn't think you were being narcissistic by mentioning your own stars. I just saw it as something to back up your statement that you weren't just being jealous over the stars others get.

As for them giving points, I thought a mod had posted somewhere that they don't give points but I don't know for certain.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Just to make it official by a staff member responding, I'm going to repeat what was mentioned above.

The stars are a way of letting someone know you think they made a good/great point, or just did a great job contributing to ATS, even if you don't agree with them.

If you'll notice, above every post is an outline of a star at the end of the line of solid stars, or, if there are no stars, there is simply the outline. If you click that, another star will appear.

Unlike Applause, which is only available to ATS staff and awards points, the stars are a way for everyone to bring attention to a post that otherwise may be overlooked while reading through a thread.

So when you see those stars suddenly appear, it's because folks like you read the post and thought it was great. Since we don't allow one line posts (things like, "I agree," or "Yeah, what (s)he said!" it is a way to show your approval.

EDIT TO ADD: Stars do not give points. They are simply a way of saying, "good job" to your fellow members.

[edit on 5/9/09/09 by junglejake]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
-----------s-------------
-----------t-------------
-----------a-------------
-----------r------------

hehe i was gunna do a big one but i got lazy

some people get em coz of friends or whatver or just agree. i never get that many stars not like it bothers me so i just ignore em

not about points for me more about the message

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

It is like there is an "outside observer" in these threads. Maybe it is just the members keeping up with the thread but I think it is more than that. I don't know maybe I am just being paranoid.........

I`ve heard those rumours too , but i ain`t buying it . Apparently we are `visited` from time to time by the `lurkers` as they have been called .

Are we being watched ? .

Why won`t they show themselves ?

What do the stars mean ?

----------------------------------------

Give us a star man ,
Waiting to reply

they`d like to come and meet us
But they think they`d blow our minds .......

everybody now...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I often find myself coming to a topic late in discussion, if while reading a reply jumps to mind I make a note of it and if later in the topic someone else has already made said reply I star it rather than repeating what's already been said.

I have noticed that I find myself staring posts by certain members more than others and I notice that some of those who often make posts I deem starworthy get their posts stared by many others also.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join