It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Cigarettes are they safe?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

True that.

If we ban everything that's harmful to us then we might as well stop breating and eating:
1. Air - most cities have air that can be considered toxic.
2 Food - most foods have additives, or chemicals/insecticides added that is toxic.
3. I can go on ... but I am sure my point is made.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R^z_

Originally posted by badmedia
I ordered an e-cig a few weeks ago. Still waiting for the dang thing to get here. I think in the future I will start ordering and buying from somewhere else(assuming it works).

Someone said it is not a stop smoking aid. Well that is exactly how I plan to use it. I plan on taking the doses of nicotine down more and more until I wing myself off the nicotine. And then once I'm off the nicotine, I can work on the physical habit.

I have very high hopes for this. It would be so nice to get rid of my biggest vice.

Negatory, Cigarettes and the chemicals in them are not what makes them addictive, its the NICOTINE, and smoking a NICOTINE Cigarette will not help you quit in the slightest. Think about it, Amonia is not addictive, and neither is Tar... NICOTINE Cigarettes are only a way to get people to smoke while feeling safer, and possibly MORE addicted than what all the chemicals in a regular Cig would get you.. Think about it, Stuff like this is based off of money, if they dont have to buy the tobacco, and they generate the Nicotine out of a lab, rofl, you think Phillip Morris is rich...
Sorry if I dun make any sence, im drunk, but I believe that I have a valid point.

Friends don't let friends post drunk!

Hopefully you've sobered up by the time you read this. If you take a good look at his post, he's using these the same way you would use the nicotine patches. You take your 'normal' dosage and then after a few weeks or so you move to a lower dose and so on until you are off of nicotine.

I personally plan on using e-cigs as a substitute rather than a quitting aid. I mean come on.... An all black e-cig with a blue LED? I ain't giving that up!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ninja-san

IMHO, Ive tried several vaporisers, and for the most part these do work as advertised, however these units require the use of " Cartidges" that you must repeatedly buy from the manufacturer.
there are better portable units available ( like the Iolite or I Inhale) which do not require you to purchase exclusive " cartidges" to use.

I don't think there is much of a difference between having to buy cartridges for them compared to having to buying a new pack of cigarettes when it's empty.

I doubt it... none of these companies ever really show the meat of the argument.

From what I've managed to read, they do appear safer. They are mainly water, flavor, PG and nicotine. The only problem I see *may* be the flavor additive.

My advice: don't buy into the hype surrounding these without doing your own research.

Agreed!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
FDA has a policy that electronic cigarettes can neither be marketed as safer than traditional cigarettes or as a device to stop smoking. Electronic cigarette smokers I know (myself included) feel better soon after starting and continue to feel better months and years after (I've been using them for a year). As a device to quick smoking regular cigarettes, most people I know that use ecigarettes quit or severely cut down on traditional cigarettes from their first day to a week or so. I know there may be an unknown risk with them, but compared to traditional cigarettes, doctors, scientists, and health-wise professionals say they are probably about 1000 times safer. I think they should be cheaper and more commonly available so more people use them. I get my electronic cigarettes at majorsmoke.com where they have free shipping and the lowest prices on the web. One of the reasons that various government groups and states are questioning their safety and use as a smoking cessation device is because money that states get from the taxes on the sale of traditional cigarettes is very predictable and they really want all that tax money.

reply to post by FX44rice

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I cant call them "safe" per se, but it is certainly better then a normal cigarette.

They are not all made equal thats for sure, I finally found a brand that works great, and you can just buy the liquid to refill the cartridges yourself. My e-cig paid for itself within 2 weeks thats how cheap it is, id spend maybe $20-40 max a month on liquid and the occasional replacement atomizer/battery, compared to $6.50/day for a pack of newports.

I cant backup the safety of it with science, but when I was actually using only the e-cig (I still end up smoking cigs here and there but not nearly as much) there was very a noticeable difference in my lungs after just 2 weeks. At first you keep coughing up all the crap in your lungs but eventually you feel brand new again as if you really quit smoking, and notice everything you do like climbing stairs become easier.

I've only used PG (propylene glycol) liquids, and it can seem harsh/dry on your throat sometimes, but that could be the nicotine levels I use, but they also sell VG (vegetable glycol) liquids, however the VG has less flavors, some people have allergic reactions to it, and it clogs atomizers faster.

No e-cig can compare to the feeling of smoking a real cigarette, but I would say if you are considering it and really want to quit go for it, just make sure you choose the right brand because some of them really suck.

If anyone wants the name of the brand I use thats shipped from michigan just PM me and I will tell you, and no I wont send you some referral link so im making no money off this, just trying to save people the trouble I had to go through

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mjrsmk
FDA has a policy that electronic cigarettes can neither be marketed as safer than traditional cigarettes or as a device to stop smoking. Electronic cigarette smokers I know (myself included) feel better soon after starting and continue to feel better months and years after (I've been using them for a year). As a device to quick smoking regular cigarettes, most people I know that use ecigarettes quit or severely cut down on traditional cigarettes from their first day to a week or so. I know there may be an unknown risk with them, but compared to traditional cigarettes, doctors, scientists, and health-wise professionals say they are probably about 1000 times safer. I think they should be cheaper and more commonly available so more people use them. I get my electronic cigarettes at majorsmoke.com where they have free shipping and the lowest prices on the web. One of the reasons that various government groups and states are questioning their safety and use as a smoking cessation device is because money that states get from the taxes on the sale of traditional cigarettes is very predictable and they really want all that tax money.

reply to post by FX44rice

Wow.. Good job promoting your own site... First post.. Your name mjrsmk...website name ...
Besides your... attempt to advertise your..or that website you do actually bring up good points. Now just keep it up and keep posting instead of "product placement" Hollywood does in the movies..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I have some experience with Vaporizers. I started Dec 09 and haven't had a cigarette since. I was a pack and a half a day smoker for 5 years. It's much cheaper and without all the crap from cigs I can actually wake up and breathe in the morning. No more daggers in the lungs when taking a deep breath.

Smokers hack is gone. The first month or so you will cough up a lot of tar while using these as the main base fluid is the stuff that is in asthma inhalers.

It took the place of the cigarette for the hand/mouth fixation. You can also start using a strength of juice and step yourself down from there kind of like the patch. You can also get non-nicotine juice if you have gotten to that point to just curb the hand/mouth fixation.

Depending on where you go you can get different flavors, saw one that was Roast Chicken. Yeah, the Willy Wonka of vaporizer juice.

As far as buying cartridges you can get a pack and clean the batting inside of them and refill. Also you can pick up more batting at a craft store if the original goes bad.

The hubby and I got ours from Totally Wicked. They're UK based, but they have a US store too. They have good videos of the products and how to care for them and give suggestions on which one would be good for people. It took us a month or so to make the decision and it was the best one we made health wise.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Honest opinion the Tobacco industry is one of the biggest hypocrites in America today, I wanna quote something that was said in the video that makes absolutely no sense to me "When you take Tobacco out of the Picture you take disease out of the Picture". I doubt that, Tobacco was not the leading cause of the diseases it's all the extra chemicals they don't tell you about... that I can almost guarantee are still inside the Liquid Nicotine.

Ive smoked 1 cigarette and Ill never touch them again the sensation of my Lungs burning from the inside is not a pleasant experience.

~CJ

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Tobacco was not the leading cause of the diseases it's all the extra chemicals they don't tell you about... that I can almost guarantee are still inside the Liquid Nicotine.

Well, you're right in all the extra chemicals being in the tobacco, however they are additives and are not part of nicotine. Nicotine itself is in naturally in tobacco and is simply nicotine, not a concoction mixed from a bunch of other stuff. It's like hydrogen is hydrogen and you don't mix things to make it, it just is.

Nicotine on its own in normal levels is about as harmful to your health as caffeine.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I am not sure how exactly safe they are in long term effects, though since I switch over, taking a drag off of mine right now with mountain dew flavoring. I've been able to breath easier, and my fingers are no longer smelly.

EDIT: Mine is a Tank system, you just pop the cap off and fill it up with the juice. Got mine from the Vapor pro.
edit on 10/13/2011 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

EDIT: OH, if you do consider buying a E-cig never get the catarige two piece system. Really expensive. The three tank piece system has save me so much money. Spent just under 30$ half the price of carton for two bottles of juice, one bottle last me two weeks. The starter kit will be expensive but you'll save money in the long run.
edit on 10/13/2011 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join