It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Cigarettes are they safe?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

So what do we have to do to keep these things on the shelves?

They appear to be safer than "traditional" cigarettes yet the FDA wants to snuff it out because lobbyist's for big tobacco are in their pocket. We need to protect the sale of these cigs. How?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I ordered an e-cig a few weeks ago. Still waiting for the dang thing to get here. I think in the future I will start ordering and buying from somewhere else(assuming it works).

Someone said it is not a stop smoking aid. Well that is exactly how I plan to use it. I plan on taking the doses of nicotine down more and more until I wing myself off the nicotine. And then once I'm off the nicotine, I can work on the physical habit.

I have very high hopes for this. It would be so nice to get rid of my biggest vice.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
I ordered an e-cig a few weeks ago. Still waiting for the dang thing to get here. I think in the future I will start ordering and buying from somewhere else(assuming it works).

Someone said it is not a stop smoking aid. Well that is exactly how I plan to use it. I plan on taking the doses of nicotine down more and more until I wing myself off the nicotine. And then once I'm off the nicotine, I can work on the physical habit.

I have very high hopes for this. It would be so nice to get rid of my biggest vice.

Negatory, Cigarettes and the chemicals in them are not what makes them addictive, its the NICOTINE, and smoking a NICOTINE Cigarette will not help you quit in the slightest. Think about it, Amonia is not addictive, and neither is Tar... NICOTINE Cigarettes are only a way to get people to smoke while feeling safer, and possibly MORE addicted than what all the chemicals in a regular Cig would get you.. Think about it, Stuff like this is based off of money, if they dont have to buy the tobacco, and they generate the Nicotine out of a lab, rofl, you think Phillip Morris is rich...
Sorry if I dun make any sence, im drunk, but I believe that I have a valid point.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
They are probably telling us that electronic cigs are not safe because,they will not be able to collect the same amount of tax from the sale of these gadgets,espescially here in Britain!

Most of the cost of a packet of cigarettes is made up with various taxes and duties!!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R^z_
Negatory, Cigarettes and the chemicals in them are not what makes them addictive, its the NICOTINE, and smoking a NICOTINE Cigarette will not help you quit in the slightest. Think about it, Amonia is not addictive, and neither is Tar... NICOTINE Cigarettes are only a way to get people to smoke while feeling safer, and possibly MORE addicted than what all the chemicals in a regular Cig would get you.. Think about it, Stuff like this is based off of money, if they dont have to buy the tobacco, and they generate the Nicotine out of a lab, rofl, you think Phillip Morris is rich...
Sorry if I dun make any sence, im drunk, but I believe that I have a valid point.

It is cheaper than normal cigarettes. I couldn't really care less about the price though. When I started smoking they were $1 a pack(and gas was even cheaper per gallon). Now they are $5 a pack and I still smoke.

I've been smoking for 20 years. I seriously doubt I can get more addicted to nicotine than I already am. I use to smoke cigars, and I inhaled them.

And if it was just a matter of getting the nicotine, then people would be addicted to the patch. The patch helps with the nicotine, but there is a physical habit to smoking and it doesn't help with that at all. Getting past the physical habit is extremely hard to do.

As well, you can get different amounts of nicotine in them. You can start out with a very high amount of nicotine, and then work your way down. You can even get them with 0 nicotine, and then also rather than nicotine with vitamins.

Plus, I have chronic bronchitis thanks to the gas chamber from the military. So smoking is extra hard on my lungs. I had surgery a few years ago, and even with the oxygen on me full blast, the oxygen count in my blood was very low. Even if I was only ever to switch over to the e-cig and kept going with the nicotine addiction, it would be a huge bonus for my health in general.

Honestly, at this point I am more worried about being able to switch over successfully than the things you mention.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Good idea mekanic. As long as you agree to make some vice you really like illegal too. No beer, no alcohol (woo hoo prohibition worked great didn't it?) 55mph governors on cars, except in residential areas, and then the big brother GPS on your car governs it at 35mph, No gambling, No cussing, No guns, No sharp knives, (we'll be lenient and let you have butter knives as long as we never find an evil whetstone on you)and absolutely no dissention, or complaints, or we'll shoot you comrade.

Wow dude, think before you type. Is it freedom if it is only to do what is popular, or deemed beneficial by the majority? You would seriously advocate totalitarianism as long as it's tenants tickled your fancy? What about when it stopped tickling, and began to smack of oppression? What if they targeted your favorite vice, or hobby? I bet you would squeel like a stuck hog when it came time for you to give up your "dirty little habit."

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I will try them eventually. They are a bit out of my budget right now.

If one worries about the nicotine in them, look at it this way, what about the nicotine gum and patches. You aren't smoking, but you are still getting the nicotine. Besides, look at all the other chemicals floating around that we are inhaling on a daily basis. Heck, I work in a car repair shop and I get to smell brake cleaner, carb cleaner, exhaust, etc., all day, and I know that's not good either.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I have sarcoidosis and one of the new treatments they are trying are nicotine patchs.

So far i do not have sarcoidosis of the lungs because i smoke.
www.inspire.com...

I would like to quit smoking but i fear that my sarcoidosis will come out of remission that i am in now.

E cigerettes may allow me to quit smoking but allow me to protect myself from the sarcoidosis.

I also have fibromyalgia that also goes into a flare when i try to quit.
low dopamine levels??????
linzworld.wordpress.com...
www.fmpartnership.org...
Nicotine raises dopamine levels that is what makes it hard to quit.
whyfiles.org...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FX44rice

I think they are better/safer than real cigarettes. I just got started a month ago. But, the regular PG stuff gave me diarrhea. Yes, there are some side effects that you should look into. It can effect different people different ways. At first, I thought my side-effects were due to withdrawals. But I went back to the cigarette for a week and then tried the e-cig and discovered it was the PG.

So, I had to order the Non-PG. It's slightly better for me.

I've also heard that it takes time for the body to adjust. So, I'm not giving up yet.

You should know you have to take a longer drag than you do with a regular cigarette. But, that's easy to get used to.

I'm happy with the e-cig....if only I didn't have to keep running to the bathroom!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

The physical habit of smoking is most definetly for me the thing that always gets me.I can get past the nicotine craves quite easily..but the whole routine of getting a cig,smoking it flicking it is far worse.Ive also heard people have stopped smoking from these devices,some of them dont even know why..they just noticed not using it much then not all after a couple of months.Lets remember cigarette companies cut tobacco with ammonia which increase the amount of nicotine carried into the bloodstream by as much as 100 fold.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'm not sure if they reached the market here. I remember all the hype in the media, and i think they where pulled for some reason, i just didn't see them.
What i am convinced of though, is the real ones seem to be more addictive or they've done something to them because I'm smoking more then ever, and more often.
I know I'm not under any stress, in fact I have one off the most stressful jobs there is, and i love it, also i just got my monthly internet/phone bills that clams to be $26.950 for my home phone, i never use it, $2.533.869 for my internet
and a total due for $2.563.05. believe me I'm not stressed or angry about it, because I'm going to have so much fun with this, who knows, i may even get free internet
and i owe it all to ATS, my mind is so clear now i don't need to stress about anything, ever again.
I FINALLY FOUND TRUE HAPPINESS.

Sorry for getting of thread there.......

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by badmedia

Lets remember cigarette companies cut tobacco with ammonia which increase the amount of nicotine carried into the bloodstream by as much as 100 fold.

That could explain the withdrawal. The e-cig may not be as effective of a delivery system, so withdrawal symptoms are experienced at first until the body rids itself of the toxins.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well, I'm sold. I'm going to be purchasing myself a pack, cough, cartridge most definetly.

4 years of smoking, and 4 years to many, the rest of my life inhaling water vapor, well.....ha.

I have high blood pressure in my family anyways. I'd rather have a stroke then die painfully from cancer.

Oh, yeah? And if anyone hasn't said it. The retardely crude idiotic bastards at the FDA can SUCK IT. They'll approve some CRAP like Chantix that kills people, yet OH NOEZS!!!! CANT HAVE NICOTINE THAT DOESNT KILL PEOPLE THAT MAKES THEM FEEL LIKE THEY'RE ACTUALLY SMOKING!

The SMOKING part is why smokers smoke, they like it when the warm smoke, goes in their lungs and comes out. Trust me, they like that as much as the nicotine. You get me a product that simulates 50% of that feeling, and I'll buy it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I operate a website that tests and reviews products like these ( don't ask which site as I do not wish to advertise here).
The E Cigarette ( like the Luci) is a vaporiser.
the unit uses heated air to warm the cartridge enough to release a "vapor" or steam which contains the nicotine, but it is not hot enough to actually cause combustion.
Vaporising allows the smoker to get the active ingredient ( Nicotine) without the tar and ash associated with smoking.

The E Cig a simply a tiny smaller version of the popular Vaporisers sold in High end smokeshops across the globe.
the technology isnt new at all... do a search for Volcano vaporiser for more information on the science behind these devices.

IMHO, Ive tried several vaporisers, and for the most part these do work as advertised, however these units require the use of " Cartidges" that you must repeatedly buy from the manufacturer.
there are better portable units available ( like the Iolite or I Inhale) which do not require you to purchase exclusive " cartidges" to use.

These will not help you stop smoking.
they are not designed to help you stop smoking.
they are safer, because of the reduction of tar, but are they really safe to use?
I doubt it... none of these companies ever really show the meat of the argument.

My advice: don't buy into the hype surrounding these without doing your own research.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Yeah, just as i thought, e cigarettes are BANNED in Australia.
The mentality of our Government is so retarded it not funny, and they expect me to vote for them, fat chance

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
WOW! Finally a thread where I have some information to contribute!!!

I have been using an ECig for about two months now. I started looking at quitting or cutting costs after the government raised the cigarette tax from $40 a carton to $50+ a carton total cost.

I started with the problem I, and many other smokers have when it comes to quitting. Trying to be logical, I felt that the "addiction" is more than just the nicotine...it is also the process of smoking. Hand to mouth, inhale/exhale, and the "ritual" of having paraphernalia.

Long story short...I decided to try the ECig. I researched it for probably a week and discovered the following:

1. The initial cost to get the device and supplies is about $150 on the low side. You can get screwed into restocking and higher prices, but, if you know where to go...you can save quite a bit.

2. Even though it provides nicotine, it is (I believe) healthier for you since it doesn't contain all the other chemicals...and...there is no "smoke". The device uses the same fluid (basically) as a fog machine to created the smoking effect.

3. The device is three parts...a rechargeable battery with a light-up tip to look more like you are actually smoking...the supply cartridge (where the fluid is contained in a fish-tank-filter type mesh...and the atomizer. The atomizer is the root of the problem with the product. They burn out in a week to a month. However, if you know where to buy them cheaply...they are only $10.

My plan, which I think is working well, was to carry the ECig in a real cigarette pack with about 10 cigarettes...and make the mix last a day (I was a 20 cigarette a day smoker). Then...whittle this down to just the ECig. That hasn't gone completely according to plan...but I'm down to about 5 real cigarettes a day. Plus the ECig.

THESE ARE NOT "QUIT SMOKING" DEVICES! However, with a plan that works...they could be. And while I'm happy with my plan, that may be different for others. My suggestions are as follows if you wish to try this process:

1. I purchase my hardware from Totally Wicked at www.totallywicked-eliquid.com...

2. I supplement my hardware purchases at Pure Smoker at www.puresmoker.com.... That is because often, the hardware isn't in stock...its from China but ships from the US.

3. Buy two batteries...at least two atomizers...one or two packs of cartridges...then...buy a E-liquid refill bottle (available in different strengths and flavors). The E-liquid can be used to refill the cartridges after they are used up. You can refill them 10-15 times and the cost will be dramatically lower than just buying new cartridges.

4. Don't get suckered into any of the other device types. I suggest the tiny, or mini style device. It is most like a real cigarette even though it doesn't deliver as much "smoke". Your trying to quit anyway...right?

5. Recharge your battery on a regular basis. You may want to buy one of the $10 USB chargers if your on the computer a lot like me. Then...when an atomizer burns out...buy at least one replacement. You don't want to get caught without a charged battery, full cartridge or dead atomizer. That will kill your plan.

6. GET INTO THE PROCESS! Learn to like the charging, filling and preparing the device and your pack if you use my process. Make it a cool, fun ritual. If you can't handle the prep...you won't like the ECig.

Well...that is my contribution. No...I don't have any affiliation with any company etc. I just like where this has taken me so far. Any questions? Please feel free to ask.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
They want them banned because if they went mainstream and millions used them they would loose millions in taxes from tobacco.

Simple really, they would NEVER fully ban tobacco/alchohol they make far far too much money off it.

PS. i also used one of these for a few weeks and they DO work, great product. But to be honest i didnt want to go through the hassle of buying refils online when i could go to shop for cigarettes and not have to wait for postage etc etc if newsagents sold them then i would move to ecigs.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Concept X]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
PS: One more thing...SCREW THE GOVERNMENT! They have been, and continue to use smokers as a source of income. Until they approve these devices, they are not taxing them or the "fluid" or cartridges. If you have any anti-government sentiment...relish in the thought of NOT paying them over $15 per carton anymore! For me...that was $60 a month or $720 a year. And those figures are about what you can save by using an ECig (even with the replacement and fluid).

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R^z_

Originally posted by badmedia

NEGATIVE NEGATORY! There are many facets to cigarette addiction that grab hold of you! Beyond the obvious nicotine addiction, you also become addicted to the HABIT of smoking and the RITUALS you set.
Also, smokers tend to use a smoke as a sort of reward system as well.

If a person can switch over to the Ecig and gradually reduce their nicotine dose, they can MUCH more easily work out the rest with the now placebo cigarette.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Ashley, dont be mistaken. One Cart does not equate to one pack of cigarettes. Contrary to what you have seen advertised. I just got both my kits yesterday and i havent lit up a single smoke since.

I would highly suggest everyone check out e-cigarette-forum and fully inform yourself about the what they are, what they do, how they work and what your getting. It is to ecig forums what ATS is to alternative topics forums.

After 2 months of reading/researching, I went with the m401 and got it from the storefront website of the actual manufacturer, Smoore. i also got 10 blanks and the sample pack of juice for topping off of my carts. I was a pack + a day smoker so i calculated my initial purchase of 2 kits, some spare atomizers, the blanks and the sample pack, equaled to a months worth of carton purchases. The end definitely justifies the means IMHO.

As with anything, inform yourself the best you can before your purchase. Know what ur getting into. e-cigarette-forum is the best place i found to do that.

My .02

Silver

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join