It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Cigarettes are they safe?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Ashley, dont be mistaken. One Cart does not equate to one pack of cigarettes. Contrary to what you have seen advertised.

Thanks for letting me know that. Can you tell me what you believe the actual comparison is?

I just got both my kits yesterday and i havent lit up a single smoke since.

I'm so happy for you! Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing as soon as my order arrives.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FX44rice

Ashley what do these high tech cigs cost?

The starter kit I purchased that comes with everything (including 5 cartridges) was $99. Then I purchased an extra set of 5 cartridges which cost $10. With shipping and everything, my order was something like $125 dollars.

It was advertised that each cartridge is the equivalent of one pack of ciggies (but another member here disagrees). I suppose depending on how hard you are used to sucking your ciggies [which would drain the juice in this mechanical ciggie] or how long you use your faux ciggie for it could decrease or increase how long one lasts.

But depending on personal use, if the average comes out to 1 cartridge = 1 pack, then that would be the equivalent of 10 packs of ciggies. The kit was the most expensive but it's a one-time purchase. The refills are cheap ($10) so I guess that would average about $2 per 'pack.'

That's just what I have figured up in my head at least. They're not here yet and another member above believes they don't last quite that long.

But the refills are cheap, IMO. Especially compared to regular ciggies.

When my order comes in, I'll smoke one and post here how it works/feels.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well since ive been vaping less than 24hrs, its hard to tell. And since i dont smoke this like a cig, ie.. toke it till its gone, id say, depending on the model you purchased will determine the cart=cig factor. I have the m401 and its called the mini or supermini due to its size and cart size. I hit it, put it in my pocket, pull it out a few minutes later, hit it and repeat. I would have to calculate about 2-3 cigs worth of hits per cart with the occasional "topping off" which is dropping a couple drops of juice into the cart to moisten it up.

My kits were 39.99 a piece, i bought 2 plus 2 extra atomizers and 10 blank carts to fill with juice of my choosing. These are not a one time purchase. Since the technology is still new and evolving, the batts are dead sometimes from testimonials ive read. Also the atomizers burn out, but will last a good 2+ months with proper care. The batting in the carts has been debated as good vs bad. There are a couple other stuff people have tried like rolled up tea bags for wicks in the cart since they are made of hemp and not polyester. Burning the dry polyester has to be releasing some sort of chemical im sure. But probably not as bad as the 4000 different chemicals in cigarette smoke.

Cancer Causing Agents:

Nitrosamines, Crysenes, Cadmium, Benzo (a) pyrene, Polonium 210, Nickel, P.A.H.s, Diberiz Acidine, B-Napthylamine, Urethane, N. Nitrosonornicotene, Toluidine

Metals:

Aluminum, Zinc, Magnesium, Mercury, Gold, Silicon, Silver, Titanium, Lead, Copper

And more:

Acetone (nail polish remover), Acetic Acid (Vinegar), Ammonium (Floor/Toilet Cleaner), Arsenic (poison), Butane (cigarette lighter fluid), Cadmium (rechargeable batteries), Carbon Monoxide (car exhaust fumes), DDT/Dieldrin (Insecticides), Ethanol (alcohol), Formaldehyde (preserver of body tissue and fabric), Hexamine (barbecue lighter), Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison), Methane (swamp gas), Methanol (rocket fuel), Napthalene (mothballs), Nicotine ( insecticide/addictive drug), Nitrobenzene (gasoline additive), Nitrous Oxide Phenols (disinfectant), Steric Acid (candle wax), Toluene (industrial solvent), Vinyl Chloride (makes PVC)

Glantz, S. (1992). Tobacco: Biology and Politics. Health Edco, Waco TX.

Like i said, that forum i listed is a wealth of information. Inform yourself to your fullest extent.

Silver

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I did think before typing. And yea, ban alcohol too for all I care. I've watched to many people die from both. Maybe if the government would regulate the tobacco companies to take out all of the poison, it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe if the government would make it impossible to drive after drinking a case of beer, it wouldn't be so bad.

I smoke, I drink, but for all I care, take em both away. If I'm drinking, I'm not driving, and I've been smoking for 20 years. Not all that easy to quit for just anybody.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Well since ive been vaping less than 24hrs, its hard to tell. And since i dont smoke this like a cig, ie.. toke it till its gone, id say, depending on the model you purchased will determine the cart=cig factor. I have the m401 and its called the mini or supermini due to its size and cart size. I hit it, put it in my pocket, pull it out a few minutes later, hit it and repeat. I would have to calculate about 2-3 cigs worth of hits per cart with the occasional "topping off" which is dropping a couple drops of juice into the cart to moisten it up.

I have had about the same results with mine. I "vape" later in the day and indeed smoke less real cigarettes a day. I have the Mini and Janty. The Janty is nice.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just wanted to give an update:

My order finally came in yesterday. I smoked my very last real cigarette last night at 5:10 PM and am now switched over to the electronic cigarettes.

I'm very irritable right now but all in all they're pretty cool. They mist more than I thought they would. When you first insert a new cartridge, you need to suck on it a couple of times to get the mist going. Then it's ample.

It really does give you the sensation of smoking. The only real difference is there is no 'burn' in the lungs upon inhaling (which is hard to get used to but in the long run will feel so much better, health-wise).

I was using a low nicotine cartridge at first but I think everyone is getting tired of having their heads bitten off. lol So I'm switching to a high nic for now. Then will go to the low nics when those are expired. Then switch to the non nic. Hopefully cutting down in stages like that will help me kick the habit, real or fake, once and for all.

All in all, I'm really liking them, though. Just a little pissy. lol

[edit on 6/9/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hello,
I did a lot of research about E-cigs, and I believe that they are a much safer alternative to conventional smoking. When you smoke an E-cig, you are only inhaling a nicotine vapor. You are not inhaling all the tar and carconigens that are contained in traditional Tobacco. Don't take my word for it, there are plenty of links on the internet about E-Cigarettes. I will list a few, and I will list a good place to purchase them. The prices are cheaper than the bigger companies, great place to go if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

News about E-Cigs
FDA wrinkles its nose at electric cigs www.newsobserver.com...

Great Place to Buy E-Cigarettes Online
www.ecigarettes4less.com...

[edit on 18-6-2009 by josphill99]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Better ban McDonalds, and twinkies too, and cars. they kill more ppl thna cigs drugs and murders combined.....not sure Mcdonalds don't kill more than cigs do anyways.....
Sorry, not trying to be sarcastic, this is America, are we not still in the land of the free?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I own three e-cig kits, and yes, they live up to all the hype. You WILL quit smoking, if you make the switch. But you WILL also still be a nicotine addict. (So don't start if you're not one already).

Here is a forum dedicated to e-cigarattes, which is a much better place to discuss all this and find out more information.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

For cheaper you can get an nicotine inhaler to quit smoking. They also come with cartridges and you buy them at the pharmacy. They run 110 bucks, but you get 20 packs of 6 in each pack and I was given two boxes. Worked pretty good. I quit on just three cartridges and now have almost two boxes full of em and never needed them,lol

Ama

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

McDonalds does not kill thousands of people every year. Also, they have healthy alternatives that are just as satisfying as the unhealthy double-cheeseburgers that cost a dollar.

I don't want to sound like a shill for McDonalds, but I do absolutely love their salads. Can't beat the 5 dollar price for a salad that is actually higher quality and costs less than what you get at most franchised eat-in restaurants -- like chilis.

Wendys has good salads too

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Ahh come on, we all know you are Ronald
Give it up

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
reply to post by AshleyD

For cheaper you can get an nicotine inhaler to quit smoking. They also come with cartridges and you buy them at the pharmacy. They run 110 bucks, but you get 20 packs of 6 in each pack and I was given two boxes.

My kit was less than half that price, juice included.

I'm already sponsoring fast food restaurants(
), so I might as well plug where I buy my e-cigs too: litecigusa.com... I have one of their VX2's. Works very well, but I think there are better alternatives out there, as the VX2 is somewhat finicky and can taste burnt at times.
(Go here to read reviews and such about litecigusa before you decide to buy from them.)

www.ecigaretteschoice.com... is where I got my first kit -- Smoke Everywhere 3.0 gold. Good solid atomizer on it, works when you need it too. The price is a huge rip off, however, and until recently they didn't even sell e-juice that wasn't pre-filled in carts. Something you'll learn fast about e-cigs is that the pre-filled carts only last about an hour, if you're lucky. You have to buy the bottled e-juice, or you'll spend a small fortune on carts.

Best e-cig community I know of is www.e-cigarette-forum.com... . If you're thinking about starting e-cigs, definitely go here first.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Kaytagg]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
There are kits that cost as little as 30 dollars to start, replacement atomisers cost around 12 dollars, and will last about a month and a half each.

You can refill the cartridges yourself, a 30 ml bottle of fluid can be as cheap as 15 dollars.
I've gone through 15 ml of my 30 ml bottle over 4 months... it really does last a long time.

I use electronic cigarettes.

While the initial costs will make it look expensive, you have to remember that it will pay for itself before the month in savings from not smoking regular cigarettes.

I could provide distributors, but it's against T&C of ATS to advertise. So if you really want to know, I can give you a list of places to buy from, at least, if you're in the US or Canada.

As for safety, as another user put it, it's a choice between nicotine and propylene glycol (a common filler agent in pharmaceuticals), or nicotine + 40,000 chemicals which will ruin your lungs, and likely cause cancer from smoking regular cigarettes, your call.

Can you quit on these? Yep.
I started on high strength refill fluid, then to medium, now I use low. I used to smoke the equivalent of 10 cigarettes a day, now I have the equivalent of 1.

On top of that, you can use this wherever you are.
The only smell you can detect is a faint hint of sugar in the air, if you're directly in the path of the vapour. But most people have said they couldn't smell anything at all.

There's no smoke, first or second hand.

No bad breath, no stench of smoke on your clothes.

The FDA is just doing what the FDA does, they wait for someone else to do the research and testing, and then they wait for a handout. Nothing gets added to their approval list until they get paid to do so.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday
reply to post by Mekanic

Better ban McDonalds, and twinkies too, and cars. they kill more ppl thna cigs drugs and murders combined.....not sure Mcdonalds don't kill more than cigs do anyways.....
Sorry, not trying to be sarcastic, this is America, are we not still in the land of the free?

One would think so, but it seems those freedoms are vanishing anyway. Me personally, could care less about the future of tobacco. I'm smoke free for four weeks and three days. But even as a smoker, it bothered me. I couldn't stand the smoke, refused to smoke in my house or my new car, just because I couldn't bear to smell that crap all day long. It's bad enough I work with a guy who smokes 2-3 packs a day, has smoked so much that his mustache and beard are yellow. Yes, that's right, yellow. He doesn't even have to light a cig, and you can smell it.

One thing I do think, is that if a place is going to permit smoking, they should at least have an air circulation system. There are taverns that my friends will go to, and I'll stay away just because the smoke is so horribly thick.

I'll tell you what, having been on both the smokers side, and the non-smokers side, I can still say that it's a terrible addiction. I didn't like it when I smoked, tried numerous times to quit, and went back to it. Hopefully this time I can be successful. But to this day, I wish 20 years ago, I had never picked up that first cigarette.

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that not one of your examples are addictive drugs. You can choose to quit driving, eating twinkies, or eating McDonald's at any given time. Nicotine however, is addictive, and the longer you consume it, the harder it is to quit. So please, next time choose a valid arguement. And don't bother with alcohol, I'm pretty sure that could stand some heavy regulatory action as well.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Mekanic]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Congrats on your quit. I am now three weeks smoke free cold turkey. I used those cartrigdes I was prescribed for only one day and said hell with this, I want it over as soon as possible . I am STILL having major cravings.
It is my body I think used to having nicotine to calm me, and now my body has to learn to do it on it's own. Oh boy..... Anyway, I agree, I am glad I stopped, I also smoked outside, and can not stand a smokey room, but needed that nicotine. Before I quit though, (because of mini stroke) I was going to buy the E cig.

Ama

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I can only speak from personal experience - after a week of Vaping, my lungs felt better, slept better, food tasted and smelt better.
I immediately started running further on the treadmill, and picking up heavier weights.

My opinion - ecigs are definitely less harmful than normal cigarettes.

Why did I stop? Because whenever I go partying, after a tequila or two, I crave normal cigarettes.

My second opinion - drinking is worse than ecigs and normal cigs combined.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FX44rice
New electronic cigarettes do not contain tobacco. Some say minus tobacco means minus disease. The electronic cigs are becoming hot amongst celebrity crowd. You want a drag?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I've been trying to read everything I can on these, and so far it appears to me to be much safer than regular cigarettes. I just ordered a disposable e-cig to see how they work and whether I want to make the switch to them. I should get it by this Saturday or this coming Monday, I hope!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
No, I don't trust anything from any government agency. But I also can't see a nicotine infusion been good either.

I personally think the best solution is to make tobacco products illegal.

Why? If we do that then why not just start banning everything?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join