It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Cigarettes are they safe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
New electronic cigarettes do not contain tobacco. Some say minus tobacco means minus disease. The electronic cigs are becoming hot amongst celebrity crowd. You want a drag?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The diseases never came from tobacco, but all of the chemicals they put into them

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think if it was made to ween a person off of nicotine, it might be better, but there's nothing I see that helps you actually quit smoking. Nicotine can't be healthy, so will the FDA approve of it? Dunno, but I'm not so sure it's a great thing.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
I think if it was made to ween a person off of nicotine, it might be better, but there's nothing I see that helps you actually quit smoking. Nicotine can't be healthy, so will the FDA approve of it? Dunno, but I'm not so sure it's a great thing.

Do you actually trust the FDA's opinion?

Vaporized nicotine or 4000 chemicals or however many there are. Tough choice.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
No, I don't trust anything from any government agency. But I also can't see a nicotine infusion been good either.

I personally think the best solution is to make tobacco products illegal.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wow what a coincidence I was just debating on whether or not to buy one. I switched from smoking to snuff about 2 years ago and now I really want to quit dipping. My only concern is I do a lot more running now and I don't want to get slowed down again by smoking.

If it's just nicotine and no tar or carbon monoxide then it shouldn't slow me down......

Right?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
haha the women in this video are awful, instantly they have assumed the absolute worst about Ecigs... It's almost as if their hatred of smoking runs deeper than just caring about our collective health?!?!? NO?!?!?! haha surely i can't be saying that they're on an egotistical crusade against something just to pander to their maternal ego? Gosh no, next i'll claim that the nanny state is purposely feeding these deranged egos to further force the control system onto us!

It's funny that they don't sight any of the research done into the effects of nicotine on healthy non-pregnant adults - i wonder why that could be? hmmm.....

www.livescience.com...

-opps i made a big list of articles about studies done which prove nicotine helps memory, heals mice brains even when they've been cut with a knife, etc, etc - but then i must have used an bad char because it cut my message short, a list became a lost
if u wanna find good examples then google 'nicotine brain memory research' but don't use googlenews because the stories about the positive effects pf nicotine never get printed in papers......hmmm i wonder why? you'll have to rely on science journals

[edit on 9-5-2009 by NatureBoy]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Woah ho ho man. Watch it watch it, watch it.

This country was founded on God, Tobacco, and Freedom.

Don't illegalize tobacco. There would be havic chaos, explosive nictone fits, and road rage like none other before, in the masses!

I enjoy my cigarettes, they will probably kill me, but thats my choice, not yours. Sorry to say, but we have to take responsibility for ourselves.

It's addicting yes, but no more addicting then say ATS, should we illegalize that?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
What a coincidence. I've been having a hard time quitting smoking so another staff member here sent me a link to an electronic cigarette site. I just bought the starter kit and the cartridges it contains as well as 5 additional cartridges. So that is the equivalent of 10 packs of cigarettes. I selected low nicotine with the kit then non nicotine for the additional cartridges.

Hopefully I can start off with the low nic, then go to the non nic, then be able to quit from there.

There was a notice about pregnant or nursing women not using them. But other than that, they're supposedly 100% safe. It feels like I have a knife in my lungs right now. Been awfully stressed lately and the more I'm stressed, the more I smoke.

We'll see how it works. I'm pretty excited about it, actually.

Oh and edit to add: I don't want to mislead anyone. It's not that these things are marketed to help people quit smoking. It's basically just a way to smoke without the harmful chemicals or to be able to smoke in places that do not allow smoking.

I'm only using them to help quit smoking as I felt it would help me wean myself off of normal ciggies and get away from the addictive additives found in normal ciggies but not the mechanical ciggies.

Just wanted to add that really fast. These things by no means are a a 'stop smoking program.'

[edit on 5/9/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Nicotine while still toxic in high doses really isn't something to be worried about except blood pressure etc but alot of other things in life give you high blood pressure aswell.And it does have benefits www.forces.org... all in all i really fail to see how vapour and nicotine could be dangerous.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I find it laughable that the FDA doesn't want them out there because they don't know the health effects. They know the health effects of cigarettes but they are still out there, albeit expensive as crap. I smoke, I enjoy it but would like to quit. It's more the feeling of having a cigarette in my hand than anything. Maybe I should look into these e-cigarettes. And yeah, don't make cigarettes illegal! Make putting the terrible chemicals in them illegal

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Actually, I do have a theory, though I'm confident that the government would never put it into effect. Pass legislation to ban tobacco, but stipulate that it would be a gradual reduction being followed my an all out ban. This could be done over a matter of a year or three. When it passes, set the date that nicotine products can only be sold in limited quantity.

For example: Law goes into effect on July 1st. At that time, you are only allowed to purchase one pack (or set by milligrams) per day. Then reduce that amount say, six months later, rinse, repeat as needed. This will ween smokers off of the nicotine by force. Take away the ability to sell nicotine products over the counter at gas stations and grocery stores. Make it so they can only be sold at drug stores or tobacco shops, and put in a system similar to the one that limits that sale of psuedo-ephidrine to control it.

I'm a smoker, I've tried numerous ways to quit, and have not succeeded. States are starting to push laws to ban smoking in public places, which I feel is a good thing, because if my employer has to ban smoking, then I won't be as tempted to smoke by the smell of another persons smoke. I hardly smoke at home, but when I'm at the race track, or the tavern, or at work, I'll smoke at least a pack a day, if not more.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It's basically a fog machine infused with nicotine. In fact.. I believe the liquid element of the cartridge is only water, nicotine, and one of the [harmless] chemicals FROM fog juice.

I actually have a friend that bought one after we researched it. I'm considering it as well after using his. There's literally no possible way it could be worse for you.. so.. that's got me sold already.

It can be expensive if you buy the cartridges from nJoy. However, ebay and other e-tailers have little bottles of the liquid element in various strengths and flavors that you can use to refill the existing cartridges.

The only real danger is that it's much harder regulate your nicotine intake. With real cigs.. you have a baseline idea per cig.

If you drink.. it won't be a replacement.. but the next morning you'll probably be content with it again.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ashley what do these high tech cigs cost?

Much success & applause to your plan on quitting!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hypocrites that ban
Source

Capitol Hill has been all the buzz lately over the electronic cigarette. As reported by Roll Call, Rep. Cliff Stearns (Fla) was seen smoking his electronic cigarette in the Rayburn House Office Building cafeteria, showing some others how his e-cig works.

Shortly thereafter, Senator Lautenberg (NJ), wrote a letter to the FDA encouraging them to take action and ban the electronic cigarette until further testing could be completed.

Following the letter, came another report by Jordy Yeager from www.thehill.com, announcing the letter from Senator Lautenberg wants to snuff out the electronic cigarette. Reps. Cliff Stearns (Fla.), Duncan Hunter (Calif.) and Collin Peterson (Minn.) were all noted in the article as being electronic cigarette users.

Here is a petition to keep e-cigarettes legal
Keep life saving electronic cigarettes available!

Tobacco products have killed millions in the world and smokers find it hard to give it up even now. Smokers have found a solution that is saving lives yet we are at risk of losing our lifeline. We are requesting that the powers that be at the FDA allow us to continue to use and purchase these nicotine delivery devices at our own discretion while further testing commences from the FDA. If you ban these devices millions will return to tobacco products which would be a guaranteed death sentence for many.

The petition form follows the statement, in part above.

So, do as we say not as we do.

Once again, congress has been bullied by the special interests.
Surely Tabacco growers are against a product that cuts into market share.

Even if Nicotine is regulated, there should be proof that this is harmful, or should I say less harmful than man pharma pills whos side effects are horrifying with complications such as organ failure and death, and poisons that are bled into our air and water.

If they can legalise poison and bad pills, (remember, some medications are pulled after billions have been made, allowing monitary settlements to amount to a fraction of the haul promoting these killer meds, thus the unprecidented profits are huge even though the product has intruded on life and belief that Gov't agencies such as CDC and FDA are looking out for the common man), there should be a study if for no other reason then to convince us of the danger of these nicotine dispersal products.

Until then, these should remain legal unless some study, which should be published, pier reviewed and loaded with factual data can prove otherwise.

The wolf has been running the hen house for over a century, when will they be held accountable?

Right now the answer seems to be never.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FX44rice

They cost 75.00 at my local smoke shop. Not sure on the nicotine refill packs though.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FX44rice

Ok, first of all there is already a nice thread about this subject, which you can find here: ~~~> www.abovetopsecret.com..., which is made by "Sanitys Last Day". Thing is, I read the whole thread in one go because hey - normal ziggys are bad, right?! SO, I read it and then I went to puresmoker.com to see what it all costs. Now, because I live in the UK, I had to find an alternative, but the web site provided that as well. Therefore I went and bought an "mini e-Cig" from e-Cigs.co.uk and well - it's cool. Really. I bought a starter pack, inclusive with an battery, atomizer, loading station and a pack of trials of different nicotine cartridge samples. Well, what's the outcome? Simple. The e-Cig is better than the normal cigarette. Why? Because it's "clean", which means no smell, except the flavour of the e-Juice you bought, no ash, no butts, etc. - no lightening. Great! Surely, the taste is a bit different compared to a normal cigarette but you can always buy PG free e-Juice if the PG bothers you too much. I have not done so yet, but will do next week, as I might have a chance to try the PG free e-juice then. Basically, it all depends how much you smoke and how high your intake of nicotine is. I could write lots more about it, as I tested this for now 2 weeks but I do believe anybody who want's to try it should either visit any of those merchant sites or just visit the above mentioned thread.

One little hint - if you're a heave smoker, then use "xhigh" or "xxhigh" e-juice, medium smokers use the "medium" and low, etc. smokers find the right stuff as well, no problem.

You're cheaper with a "starter pack", than to buy the battery, atomizer, cartiges and e-Juice single.

To be honest, I love being able to smoke now in fron of my monitors or anywhere I feel like it, as it does not interfear with the air, etc. especially when it comes to reading on ATS! Usually I have to go downstairs but not any more.

P.S. Anyone who finds grammar mistakes can keep them.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I've try'd a couple there not the same to me

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
A week and a half ago I had two young kids come up to me randomnly that I had never seen before. They were in the local bar I go to occasionally. (i'd only had 2-3 beers when this happened and thats light for me). Anyway, they said they were from Michigan and in town to talk to kids about not drinking and driving or smoking?? Which came across weird to me since #1 they were in a bar and #2 what organization? They had an electronic cigarette and he asked me to try it.. I was scared it was some sort of trick thing like those lighters that zap you but he assured me it wasnt. I tried a couple of drags. Then before I could try to ask them more questions about the nature of their visit or start conversation with them they quickly left.

Dont know if this means anything but it came across to me as a strange encounter.. It was the first time I'd seen one of these cigarettes and why did they out of no where come approach only me in the bar to try it out??

It was one of those things that happens and you think something is unusual about it but you figure your being paranoid or just looking to far into something that really isnt anything? However, it just left a strange impression on me.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

So what do we have to do to keep these things on the shelves?

They appear to be safer than "traditional" cigarettes yet the FDA wants to snuff it out because lobbyist's for big tobacco are in their pocket. We need to protect the sale of these cigs. How?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join