It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Proposes $1.25 Billion Payoff to Black Farmers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

You got that right......even more, if all this spending had never started, from the banks to all the little perks they gave themselves, just think of the surplus we would be talking about know instead of the deficit that we and our grand children will be paying from time to who knows when.

Could they be talking about Black Immigrant Farmers?.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
This case has merits....

The case was dismissed 10 years ago.

Obama has UNILATERALLY handed out 1.25 Billion and overturned the courts.

He's playing God ... and he's racist while doing it ... those are the facts.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me. Really, are any of you surprised by this? It's going to get even worse, as if they don't already get everything they want on our tax dollars!!!! Chew on this

A beautiful fairy appeared one day to a destitute refugee claimant outside the Maryland immigration office.

'My good man,' the fairy said, 'I've been sent here by
President Obama and told to grant you three wishes, since
you just arrived in the United States with your wife and
three children.'

The man told the fairy. 'Well, where I come from we
don't have good teeth, so I want new teeth, maybe a lot of
gold in them.'

The fairy looked at the man's almost toothless grin
and --

PING ! -- he had a brand new shining set of gold teeth
in his mouth!

'What else?' asked the fairy, 'two more to go.'

The refugee claimant now got bolder. 'I need a big
house with a three car garage in Annapolis on the water with
eight bedrooms for my family and the rest of my relatives
who still live in my country. I want to bring them all over
here..

PING ! - In the distance there could be seen a
beautiful mansion with a three car garage, a long driveway,
a walkout patio with a BBQ in an upscale neighborhood
overlooking the bay.

'One more wish', said the fairy, waving her wand.
'Yes, one more wish.

I want to be like an American with American clothes
instead of these tore cloths, and a baseball cap instead of
this turban. And I want to have white skin like Americans.

PING ! - The man was transformed, wearing worn out
jeans, a Baltimore Orioles T-shirt and a baseball cap. He
had his bad teeth back and the mansion had disappeared from
the horizon.

'What happened to my new teeth?' he wailed. 'Where is
my new house?'

THIS IS GOOD ........

The fairy said 'Tough stuff, Mac, Now that you are a
White American, you have to fend for yourself.'

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I also have to add the obvious question here: How does America feel obligated to give these black americans everything we can because of slavery and not feel obligated to the native americans whom american leaders basically brought to near extinction??? If we owe anybody , I should say we owe the native american population, hell the blacks got off easy, at least they let them live!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I saw this on another thread and had to post it here. It fits.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

This case has merits....

The case was dismissed 10 years ago.

Obama has UNILATERALLY handed out 1.25 Billion and overturned the courts.

He's playing God ... and he's racist while doing it ... those are the facts.

Please provide me with a link to any of these claims.

As best I can tell you are once again lying.

The case was NOT dismissed ten years go.

Obama is not unilaterally doing this ...it is a bill that is co-sponsored by a Republican Senator and supported by many Republicans.

Racist?....Kettle black.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Since then, other farmers have pushed to reopen the case because they missed deadlines for filing. Many said they didn't know that damages were available.

Then you call for another trial. If you miss a deadline there is no 'do over' due to your negligence.

While Obama's proposal represents a marked shift from the Bush administration, which had fought paying new claims, it was unclear how the plan might be received on Capitol Hill.

Oh, do you mean to say a marked shift from the legal to the illegal?

Many lawmakers think the payments should not be capped and that the government should pay however much it costs to resolve successful claims.

Makes sense. They don't pay any taxes anyways. Why should they care?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The case was not dismissed (as in, thrown out for lack of merit) in 1999.

The case was settled (as in, has been resolved and is over) in 1999.

In 1999, the government settled a class-action lawsuit from black farmers, agreeing to pay $50,000 plus tax benefits to those who could show they faced discrimination. The government has paid out nearly $1 billion in damages on almost 16,000 claims.
source

The decision to allow new claims comes almost 10 years after the Agriculture Department settled a class-action lawsuit brought on behalf of thousands of black farmers. The farmers, mainly from rural areas in the South, alleged that local USDA offices routinely denied them loans, disaster assistance and other aid frequently given to whites -- practices that often drove them out of business.

At that time, 22,500 farmers filed claims. Nearly two-thirds were awarded a total of $981 million in damages, including one Virginia farmer awarded $6.6 million.

But an estimated 73,000 others were denied payments because they missed the October 1999 deadline for seeking claims. Many said the six-month filing period was too short and that they were unaware of the settlement until it was too late.

The deadline was extended for nearly a year for those who could show extraordinary circumstances, such as illness. But only a small fraction of late claims qualified, and federal courts repeatedly denied subsequent requests to reopen the settlement.

The farm bill provision gives another chance to anyone who filed late claims.
USAtoday

So, when you are in a class action lawsuit and you have 6 months to file your claim, but you don't get around to it. Then you are granted a 1 Year extension to file if you can provide a good reason why you never got around to it in the first 6 months. Then the case is settled and proceeds are paid.

Now it's 10 years later and we have a black president. Can anyone honestly say that there is not even a hint of race favoritism in the minds of these farmers??

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Please provide me with a link to any of these claims.
As best I can tell you are once again lying.

I never lie ... so you can STUFF your 'you are once again lying' crap.

Read the damn posts.

It was settled 10 years ago. This bunch of black farmers whined that they weren't included in the settlement. Their complaint was tossed out.

Now Obama reaches back 10 years and decides to hand them a pile of money.

Racist?....Kettle black.

You can stuff that as well.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

You overlook the fact that by catering to his favorite constituencies, he will "buy" his re-election. Granting amnesty ot illegal immigrants and gov't give aways to other minority classes will ensure the backing of groups who want more hand outs.

He can't miss and his strategy is well on its way.

If you think this is bad, just wait for term 2.

jw

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Further,

On the issue of the allegations that these farmers did not know about the lawsuit until it was to late. Lets take a peek at the rules of a class action lawsuit.

Brought to us by the Cornell University school of law.

(2) Notice.

(A) For (b)(1) or (b)(2) Classes. For any class certified under Rule 23(b)(1) or (b)(2), the court may direct appropriate notice to the class.

(B) For (b)(3) Classes. For any class certified under Rule 23(b)(3), the court must direct to class members the best notice that is practicable under the circumstances, including individual notice to all members who can be identified through reasonable effort. The notice must clearly and concisely state in plain, easily understood language:

(i) the nature of the action;

(ii) the definition of the class certified;

(iii) the class claims, issues, or defenses;

(iv) that a class member may enter an appearance through an attorney if the member so desires;

(v) that the court will exclude from the class any member who requests exclusion;

(vi) the time and manner for requesting exclusion; and

(vii) the binding effect of a class judgment on members under Rule 23(c)(3).
Cornell Law

Perhaps there will be another lawsuit claiming that these farmers were not duly notified on the basis of their race

[edit on 5/15/2009 by AlienChaser]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think I just threw up a little!!!

WTH is he doing? Is he printing money in the basement? Well he better be, because this pain the a_ _ isn't taking one more red cent from my pocket. Wow am I furious!!! I really cannot believe the spending. Why can't anyone stop him. This is treason against America!! What do you mean he stopped funding for nuke searching technology? I swear this guy is setting us up to be nuked. I have to go, or I'm going to get scolded by the mods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join