It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah lied? Chicken denied?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Do you know how EXPENSIVE it is to eat healthy???
We don't all have the luxury and options to buy organic and cook our own meals everyday you know...

Don't knock KFC for offering an alternative and Oprah for sharing her wealth.
I'm glad I was able to save about $20 that would have normally came out of my pocket if I had to buy 4 meals.

I was able to redeem all 4 of my coupons and now I'm going to give those meals to some homebound elderly people I know.

btw...did anyone see the lines at a NYC KFC!!! They were showing it on TV earlier.

I'll never be too proud to accept charity if it means someone won't be going hungry tonight.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

2.2kg of skinless boneless breasts £10 (17 x 130g portions at 59p each )

Season and slap under grill for 15 mins.
Are you telling me that is beyond the grasp and/or price of the average human being?

(I know you're a recipe fiend,so that's a rhetorical question.
)

This is a PROMOTION,not an attempt to educate people to eat healthier nor a selfless act of charity on Oprah's part.
If she truly wanted to promote healthier food,then why not local greengrocer deals with fresh veggies or something?

But health aura research predicts that having a healthier option at KFC will encourage most customers to order more of everything else.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

A company like KFC is interested in your CASH.. not your health.

She'll be promoting free Tamiflu shots next.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
my printer is busted.
So I took my son to the worlds first KFC resteraunt (in Salt Lake City) last evening.....and we gave the grilled chicken a try. Its nuttin to write home about, but it was good.

The SMALLER KFC places do not have the grilling equipment in the kitchen so THATS WHY you can't get this deal at every single KFC......you MUST go to the larger places that have the new equipment installed and operational, and thats only about half the franchises.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The key to that story was the barcodes. When you print the coupons is specifically says that they MUST be printed to paper, not to an imaging program or PDF. The printer software recognizes it and prints the fales "1234" barcode. People who follow directions get different barcodes on each coupon, confirming their validity. I can't believe how many people are complaining, turning it into a news story, when they couldn't be bothered to follow simple directions.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Did anyone here have any of the alleged spyware downloaded on to their system with the coupons?

Just curious with a few of the other stories out there.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Did anyone here have any of the alleged spyware downloaded on to their system with the coupons?

Just curious with a few of the other stories out there.

I'd love to learn more about that, got any links?

Now we have a real conspiracy..........Coupongate.

The McNuggets are gonna be so jealous.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

www.google.co.uk...

www.wired.com...

www.benedelman.org...

* Installing with deceptive filenames and registry entries that hinder users' efforts to fully remove Coupons' software. Details.
* Failing to remove all Coupons.com components upon a user's specific request. Details.
* Assigning each user an ID number, and placing this ID onto each printed coupon, without any meaningful disclosure. Details.
* Allowing third-party web sites to retrieve users' ID numbers, in violation of Coupons.com's privacy policy. Details.
* Allowing any person to check whether a given user has printed a given coupon, in violation of Coupons.com's privacy policy. Details.

Take your pick.
Apparently not an easy one to remove either.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I haven't been to a kfc for years ...

kfc abuse

I hate those guys.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That's another reason why I despise that media whore Oprah.

PETA award 2008?
Promoting KFC 2009?

Can anyone smell hypocrisy cooking with those leftovers?

Some people are just so desperate for fame,they'll sell their soul for any publicity.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Next week she's going to be handing out Red Lobster coupons and baseball bats.

What a horrible species humans can be.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That's disgusting too

It's not a company I've heard of before.

Taking diet tips from Oprah is a little like taking babysitting advice from Michael Jackson.

Next in her book club is
'Marriage guidance' by Hawley Crippen.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I understand what you're saying, and I don't personally eat KFC and haven't eaten fast food in general in months... but I won't turn down a free meal especially when I know others will eat it and not care.

Chicken is currently $3.99 and higher for most cuts. A pre packaged package of chicken breast is between $8 and $10 dollars. Then of course I would have to cook it and come up with side dishes. To make that meal, which of course will be healthier will still cost me around $20 especially if I bought potatoes and cabbage to make my own coleslaw and mashed potatoes...and again my time involved...which for some people time is money.

Anyways I'm not arguing for the benefits of KFC, I still think it was good promotion and I hope Oprah gets a big bill for her involvement. The people whom I gave my meals to, were very appreciative and now I can use that $20 I saved today to buy them stuff again next week. Btw while we complain about the standards and quality of food, there are people who are starving and eating out of garbage cans. I'm sure those people would have been grateful for the opportunity of a free meal if they had internet to know about it.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I wanted to say that I tried to get one at Lunch and the store we went to had signs saying that because people were making copies that they stopped accepting them.My coworker said that they don't do the grilled chicken anyway and that we would have ended up with fried chicken instead I was disappointed in KFC and may stay away from them for awhile. They should have done it for one day only. Apparently sombody wasn't thinking............

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher Btw while we complain about the standards and quality of food, there are people who are starving and eating out of garbage cans. I'm sure those people would have been grateful for the opportunity of a free meal if they had internet to know about it.

So while we can make a choice to participate in these promotions because we have TV's to watch her announce it..and P.C's with printers to make the tokens..and cars to jaunt off down to the outlets(I refuse to call them restaurants) to collect our handouts..

The people who actually NEED a free meal will be unaware of anything happening,
ie homeless/TVless etc..
All they'll be aware of is a few extra people queuing for food they can't afford.

This should tell you who the promoters actually 'care about' getting into their stores.

If they want to impress me,try giving away the surplus that gets dumped every day to people like them..

Or maybe they're scared in case even starving tramps turn it down.

I had to edit an add on that at least your motives are honourable,passing on the promotion to someone in more need than yourself.
It's a rare thing these days sadly.

I know(I apologise) it's getting further away from the topic about the nutritional value,it's just a topic a bit too close to home.
When I can use half a pack of savoury rice and chicken breast for 75p total AND do it healthily..all for the sake of 15 minutes grilling(unwatched too) and boiling up a pan of water.
(Not exactly Gordon Ramsey
)
375kcals
25gcarbs
1g fat
2g fibre
AND very filling too.

If life has gotten so crowded for some that 15 minutes preparing a decent nutritional meal is impossible,then I can only feel pity for them.
Maybe they need to re-assess what's really important in life

[edit on 7-5-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
They honor them in Indiana, the KFC by my house has been crazy busy with coupon printing people.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

It's expensive to eat at KFC so I'm not sure what your point is

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I haven't printed out the coupons myself, but I've heard that you can get multiple coupons by clearing cookies and cache.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well I went to 2 KFC's on my way home for lunch and they each had a sign that said they were out of chicken.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
i knew this would turn into a "story" of some type or another.
KFC is now Overwhelmed, and is turning this into RAIN CHECK redemption.

The rain checks will have staggered redemption dates. To spread out the misery.

www.kfc.com...

WW..
I could give you a big chicken hug, for thinking of other people the way to do.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

If life has gotten so crowded for some that 15 minutes preparing a decent nutritional meal is impossible,then I can only feel pity for them.
Maybe they need to re-assess what's really important in life

[edit on 7-5-2009 by AGENT_T]

You hit the nail on the head with just a few words her, bolded to bring them out more...

You should take pity on them, and give these needy people the coupons so they may eat. I think you're also forgetting those who don't HAVE a stove to cook on, nor anywhere to do so.

This is a promotion for the company, first, yes.

But on Oprah's part, I'd personally say it's more in the vein of helping people out. If she's footing the bill for this, then clearly she's made a good choice IMHO. If she were to take your brilliant idea, and only support local organic food markets or whatnot, I don't think even she would be able to cover the bill of that.

This was a great move, and quite a large hearted one, for oprah, once again, IMHO.

Kudos to her.
Not you.
Learn some compassion for those less well off than yourself, and your life will take on an entirely new meaning.

Conversely, we could both go up to a homeless person, and use our chosen tactics to help them.

You can tell them how they SHOULD be eating healthier, and explain why.
I'll simply help them out with some food/necessities (sure, some may be handout food, obtained with a coupon for that very reason, but, well, I think you get the point, now.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join