It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member Poll Results: What Content Do You Want To See Next?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

In a perfect world.....

Even one reviewer that reviews on a set of criteria and then gives an overview is a really good starting point. When the book is released, people who have read it can add to the review thread and so on and so forth.

It's a really good idea and with some of the folks here, it could work out really well.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

You have brought up some great ideas. It's unfortunate that for the size of the membership of this site, that publishers would only send one copy of a book for review.

I also see something on the lines of people reviewing for certain discussion themes.

For instance, while one person might be interested in paranormal topics, they might not like reviewing a book about 9/11 conspiracies.

It should be very interesting to see how this all lines out.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux
What kind of book reviews are we talking here SO?

Definitely books that fall within the subject areas of ATS. Hopefully we'll have a solid corps of reviewers that can receive a steady stream of free advance copies from publishers.

Oh cool, I love to read and write! I assume that when and if you start this you will post a thread like with the ATS presscorp telling how people can apply?

If that is the case, AND if I am chosen to as a freelance journalist, will I still be eligible to apply for the ATS book reviewers as well? Or am I just getting way ahead of myself here?

I imagine that the book review is still in its planning stages anyway.

I thought that the announcement of the ATS presscorp would sway the poll, into the direction of the Presscorp, so I was a bit surprised to see that it only came in second. However I think an official book review forum with specific members reviewing, woould be a great idea.

Do you suspect that this would be a paying gig like the ATS presscorp is?

[edit on 20-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by skeptic1

You have brought up some great ideas. It's unfortunate that for the size of the membership of this site, that publishers would only send one copy of a book for review.

I also see something on the lines of people reviewing for certain discussion themes.

For instance, while one person might be interested in paranormal topics, they might not like reviewing a book about 9/11 conspiracies.

It should be very interesting to see how this all lines out.

That's what I'm thinking. Have folks that apply declare their area of interest, match the books to the reviewer. After all, anyone with an interest in a particular area will obviously have more expertise in that area, and thus be able to give a more informed review.

For example, 9/11 conspiracies cause me to fall asleep immediately, as if a hypnotist had snapped his fingers. I'd never be able to plod through a book on it. Political stuff, right, left, blah blah blah... I'm too opinionated on the subject to form an objective review. I might even eat the book, with a glare in my eye. I'm sure I could find SOMETHING I could write an coherent review on, though. We all have our strengths somewhere.

nenothtu out

[edit on 2009/4/20 by nenothtu]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I guess I'm one of the few people who loves the book review idea, but then I love books, especially books that cover ATS topics.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
2% WTF? Why would members not support good SITE material in the form of a produced audio Show? Johnny and Dave were badass to listen to on a regular basis. These guys-nevermind. I'll take what I can get. Cheers.

2% Why people?...

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by looneyhd
2% WTF? Why would members not support good SITE material in the form of a produced audio Show? Johnny and Dave were badass to listen to on a regular basis. These guys-nevermind. I'll take what I can get. Cheers.

2% Why people?...

Because the question was what would you like to see next? Not what would you like to see a continuance of?

Don't get me wrong, I love Johnny and Dave, but that selection didnt really belong in the poll anyway, as you and I both know, ATS mix isnt what is next for ATS because it is already around that is why it only got 2%.

We havent stopped loving the ATS mix we were just answering what we actually want next. The ATS mix does need to stick around though!

peace and love

see you guys around!

[edit on 21-4-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I am just reacting to the ATS MIX announcement. Judging from that post it sounds like the 2% was indeed a nail in the coffin for a regular scheduled program. The question did belong there because it said, "Re-Vamped ATS MIX" for one reason or another. The ATS MIX poll result was listed as another 'Development'.

Perhaps it was a last minute fishing experiment along with the previous technical issues that sealed the fate for a regularly scheduled audio event. Oh well.... Glad it will be around. Gonna chin up and let it surprise me!

San Antonio

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
WOW.

Really pleased with that result. When I voted for book reviews it was near the end of the poll, was far behind the other ideas so I am glad that it came back from the dead to win this thing.

Good stuff ATS

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
So this was just an elaborate plan to undermine my own Book Review Thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I see how it is Skeptic..... I see how it is.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Yeah, they better ask you to do book reviewing for them.

*Shakes fist at "them"*

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Books are good, nothing wrong with books.

In fact, glad to see it's not conspiracies.

Too much conspiracy theory is mind rot, too much focus on them by those easily led and influenced over powerful mediums such as the Internet can lead to paranoia, delusion and feelings of profound distrust that can wreck lives.

Conspiracy propaganda has had a terrible viral effect in societies of the Western world and futher afield in the past decade, led to so much dissent and distrust by the people of many nations towards the establishments and police forces, those who've disseminated it have a lot to answer for.

Gotta be careful with that sort of thing.

Books are good. ConCen for conspiracy overdoses!

Paxus.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by DeltaPan]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Certainly didn't see it coming, but it seems a good idea.
Do get in touch if you'd like any reviews, I work in a bookshop and am pretty much paid to read! Eeeaasy money...
U2U any suggestions on themes or anything like that.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
umm, the book idea is ok i guess, definitely didnt see that one coming, but...

maybe we should do what the U.S. has been doing for a while now

and just ignore the masses wishes and not really care about what the people want and forget about this whole book review thing, we should just skip that and do the video wrap up or news corp idea

or really be more like the U.S. and just do the ats mix

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Why would anyone not think ATSers would love books?

STOP and THINK about what ATS is... wait for it...

TEXT! Most of our content is text, one must read text in order to understand the message it contains.

The second factor of ATS is... WRITING... We are a User Generated Content site.

So what do we have here? A LOT of people (160,000 and counting) who obviously like to read and write.

Book reviews are a natural in my mind.

Springer...

Ditto.
what I don't understand here is that this seems to be such a shock value.
Google hasn't been around forever. Even though that is how most of us may have found ATS the over 100+ conspiracy related,paranormal, ufo and religious works that make up my die hard BOOK collection are what led me to search for more answers online.
I know I'm not alone.
This is a fabulous idea.
And it's pretty easy to give a review of a book without being too biased as to whether it's really good or really bad. A simple write up on the content and a brief summary of your feelings about it, perhaps in comparison to other books is easy. Like writing a grade school book report but on a grander scale.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by X-tal_Phusion
Book reviews? You have got to be kidding! My vote was for conspiracy experts but oh well!
The masses have spoken.

well... maybe too many members have bought books expecting more tangible insight or facts, and have been disappointed by garbage research and bad writing. i know i have, but only once. i have better things to spend my money on.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I am interested in being considered for book reviewing duties. My special area of interest is nonfiction, but I have been known to read and enjoy fiction as well.

Keep in mind that review copies (often called ARC or Advance Review Copies in the book business) of new books, while they are still mostly published in physical form, are more and more often featuring the download format ... that would be advantageous for ATS/BTS book reviewers since there might not be such a problem with availability of multiple copies of new works. A few prominent authors such as Stephen King have already published electronic-only versions of their books. Some proprietary download formats have been introduced (i.e., Kindle, et. al.), and others (Google Android, can you imagine all those books?) are about to be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. It'll be fun!

[edit on 4/22/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow, pretty awesome, considering the fact that all i do of late is read. Maybe ill post some reviews of the CT books i read...

Great job, SO, i think you guys are moving this place in the right direction by letting the members poll on what they think is important.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Oooh! Oooh!

Please, PLEASE cover "Breakthrough Power" by Joel Garbon and Jeanne Manning. Have a few people cover it even!

Also maybe "The Energy Solution Revolution" by Brian O'Leary!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
THE DEATH OF ATS MIX?

What exactly do these results spell for ATS Mix? I was surprised to see it come in last... and last by a country mile. Though some of the goofiness is counter-productive to serious topics, I still enjoy the show immensely!

Will we still have Johnny & Dave or will MGMT be looking at a wider variety of presenters?

IRM

[edit on 24/4/09 by InfaRedMan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join