It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member Poll Results: What Content Do You Want To See Next?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Well, a quick look at Quantcast will show the opposite is true: (There is a high index of Graduates and Post Graduates here).

Ah. So you equate these humans who have submitted their minds for reconditioning in the institutions of higher learning with those who are literate?

A degree doesn't automatically equate to literacy. I know physicians, lawyers, politicians, scientists and managers in every sort of organization who can't read or write their way out of a paper bag. With the lowering of academic standards over the last 40 years, allowing anyone who springs the tuition to graduate, we've seen a steady decline in the overall literacy and intelligence of trusted professionals across the board.

But this isn't the place for this discussion. Again, I'm very surprised that books are making a comeback.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm one of the people who voted for this selection.

My reasons for doing so is because when I am not here, I either have my nose in a book, or I am writing something.

Books encompass all the topics on this site, so they are very important, as far as I can see, and might add something important to every topic, especially if a lot of research was put into them. I also see it as a way for people to supply "proof," when being asked to do so.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Ah. So you equate these humans who have submitted their minds for reconditioning in the institutions of higher learning with those who are literate?

Yes... I do, and knowing quite a few people who are now, or have already gone through the process of higher education in colleges and universities, I've come to the conclusion that they DO need to be able to write and read.

Sorry you feel the way you do about your fellow ATS members.

On the percentage of members voting for a book review forum, I'm not really all that shocked. Maybe it's because I haunt the writing forums so much and I see the results of many past contests and collaborative writing efforts that prompts this reaction. Some of what I've seen is really very good.

On other forums, no matter where you look, you'll find exceptionally well-structured posts made [by] well-read and VERY literate members.

I look forward to seeing this new forum established and believe it will prove to be an active place to discuss both contemporary and dated literature.

[edit on 20/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The only question I have is this:
Will negative book reviews keep people from reading any.particular book?

I mean that's just a person's opinion. The same be said about the so called movie critics.

Originally posted by skeptic1

I'd love to be a reviewer; I inhale around 10+ books a week.

Whoah, I think the word "devour" is more appropriate here.

Sure would love to know of any tips you might have regarding speed reading.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Why would anyone not think ATSers would love books?

STOP and THINK about what ATS is... wait for it...

TEXT! Most of our content is text, one must read text in order to understand the message it contains.

The second factor of ATS is... WRITING... We are a User Generated Content site.

So what do we have here? A LOT of people (160,000 and counting) who obviously like to read and write.

Book reviews are a natural in my mind.

Springer...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Masqua, I spoke out of turn and exposed my ignorance. I apologize. I do not frequent the writing boards, and I have no idea of the general literacy of all ATS members. Please pardon my arrogance.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Wow, book reviews? I wouldn't have even imagined that such a thing would have been deemed of any importance to most of the posters here. That's some what surprising,I suppose.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The only question I have is this:
Will negative book reviews keep people from reading any.particular book?

I mean that's just a person's opinion. The same be said about the so called movie critics.

I sincerely hope so.

If a few members put negative comments towards a book, but fail to give reasoned explanations backing up their criticism, then I'd ignore their comments.

If a few did back up their negative comments with points proving they, at least, read the book and were not impressed, then I'd pay attention.

If a majority panned a book, I'd never buy it.

At the cost of books these days, it would be nice to hear from readers. I can use all the savings I can muster.

Doc... NP.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Whether a book review is 'negative' or 'positive' is to a large degree irrelevant, assuming that the REASONING for the determination and specific examples are given to support the conclusion. To be honest, I've seen as many movies receiving negative reviews, and read as many books, as I have those receiving positive reviews. Sometimes I've even gone out of my way to experience the negative ones, based on the information contained in the review. One has to realize that the review is an OPINION, which are as diverse as there are people to hold one, and just because the reviewer's opinion differs from mine, doesn't negate the viewpoint of either, or the validity of the review.

Sometimes, it's those 'negative' reviews of folks whose opinion differs drastically from mine that will prompt me to seek out the material in question, in order to form my own opinion. I've never been surprised, but sometimes I've been pleased.

I'd volunteer for this duty myself, once I get the knack of reading in hand. It's hard to turn pages, as my finger joints have become stiff from my knuckles dragging the ground
In reality, the simple fact is that I'm not sure just what sort of books I'd be qualified to review.

How would this be implemented? Submit an application, including an area of expertise? I'd have applied for the press corps as well, but nothing ever happens around here. That's good news, right?

nenothtu out

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I'm happy to see that Book Reviews got the vote.

I read constantly, buying massive amounts of books on Amazon and at Barnes and Noble.

I also check out a lot of books from the library.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I am absolutely thrilled that book reviews took the top spot in the poll. It is no surprise to me with the many brilliant people on this site. Books are my love and I would be happy to help in the ATS quest for knowledge.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Doc... NP.

I understand what you are saying/stating.
Yeah it's interesting to hear what others may think of a book, and why I think this topic is a good idea, but why let other people's opinion dictate your decision to buy/read a particular book?

How many times have you went against a movie critic's recommendation to watch a movie only to enjoy it immensely?

There is something really wrong when we get to the point where we all start doing the same things just because a particular group has made the decision for us to do so.
Sound familiar?

The last thing this world needs are literary sheeple.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I didn't vote, as there was no "none of the above" option.

But interesting anyway.

[edit on 4/20/09 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
...honestly now, the fact that that high a proportion of regular internet users (and conspiracy website goers) actually READ - and regularly...is impressive.

Amidst the spate of death knolls, fearmongering, doomsday town-criership and a world increasingly less like it used to be - my faith in hunanity is thus restored but a little.

Starred and flagged!

(Impressed by people reading books - what a sad state of affairs)

...edited for few typos!

[edit on 20/4/2009 by TailoredVagabond]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Doc... NP.

I understand what you are saying/stating.
Yeah it's interesting to hear what others may think of a book, and why I think this topic is a good idea, but why let other people's opinion dictate your decision to buy/read a particular book?

How many times have you went against a movie critic's recommendation to watch a movie only to enjoy it immensely?

There is something really wrong when we get to the point where we all start doing the same things just because a particular group has made the decision for us to do so.
Sound familiar?

The last thing this world needs are literary sheeple.

Book reviews aren't JUST to persuade people to buy a book for buying it's sake.

There is (get this, you'll never believe it) actually CONTENT worth some discussion........ some of it can even be at considerable length, or political, or funny, or, well - ANYTHING!!!

I hope you were sitting down for that

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TailoredVagabond

Book reviews aren't JUST to persuade people to buy a book for buying it's sake.

There is (get this, you'll never believe it) actually CONTENT worth some discussion........ some of it can even be at considerable length, or political, or funny, or, well - ANYTHING!!!

I hope you were sitting down for that

Seems you are missing my point as well.
I agree with your "CONTENT worth some discussion" comment, but how can you discuss it if you've never read it?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
For the last few posts, it seems we're focussed on negative comments. Now, what about the reverse?

There's hundreds of books on shelves all over my house... cherished tatty old science fiction paperbacks that I bought in the '60's for instance. Every one of them I'll re-read until they literally (pun) and finally fall apart in my hands. They're absolute gems (to me) and I'd promote each one of them, detailing what was so interesting and why it meant so much to me.

I honestly wouldn't bother starting a thread about a book I didn't like. That seems like a waste of time, imho.

To give you an example... when I bought CG Jung's Memories, Dreams and Reflections back in the early 70's, the book was ALWAYS somewhere close by. Picked up, yellowed pages flipped through a thousand times to find some passage I remembered, the paperback recently started disintegrating on me. I bought a new copy just last year, and looking at it right here as I type, I can vouch there are at least a dozen bookmarks tucked into the volume.

Any books that disappointed me are long gone... given to wherever books are welcomed or sold by the boxfull to the used bookstore. I've nothing much to say about them at all.

Looking at what is left on the shelves now... I'd say just about every book I see is worth discussing.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If we are going to have book reviews, we are going to have threads on books that were liked, books that were disliked, books that were well written, books that lacked research and depended on imagination, books that delved into historically accurate profiles of what we discuss here, and books that are based on pure fantasy.

A book review encompasses the good and the bad of the book. Not all books are going to have glowing reviews, and not all books are going to be duds.

If people are going to take on the task of reviewing and ATS wants to do it right, then the good and the bad are going to have to be reported by various people. One person doing a review on a book won't give us much insight.

I'd say for each title, we'd need at least 3 reviewers who would review a title based on a set criteria of points (context, accuracy, sources, readability, entertainment value, interest level, etc.) and then have the reviewer give their opinion on the book itself. That will do a lot more than just having various members posting blurbs on various books. (I am a book nerd....I use to manage a store that was part of a big national change, and I still miss it.
)

JMO.....

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I've also posted a somewhat related announcement about ATS MIX that ties in some of the conversation here...

The Definitive ATS MIX Status Update!
We're going to do our best to ensure that audio interviews on ATS MIX are tied into what's happening via our book interviewers and ATS journalists.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I'd say for each title, we'd need at least 3 reviewers who would review a title based on a set criteria of point...

When we can get more than one book from a publisher, we'd certainly focus on that. However, for the most part, the smaller presses that publish the kinds of books that would be more popular for our audience only send out one book per media source.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join