It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member Poll Results: What Content Do You Want To See Next?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The results of our latest member poll are in. With just over 1,400 votes from visiting members in the past six days, here are the completed and tabulated results...

This was a bit of a surprise, as no one expected book reviews to come in at the top. As a result, we've already begun to step up our efforts in this regard. We'll soon be announcing another new class of membership authorized to post detailed and informative book reviews in a new "Member Reviews" forum. We're also beginning to forge relationships with major and minor book publishers to ensure that we get advance copies of new books for review. As we get organized around this effort, we'll reveal the ATS staff member who will be in charge of selecting the ATS Book Reviewers, and having the publishers send advance copies directly to the appropriate reviewer.

The ATS Press Corps is already under way, and we'll be sending out the contracts to our journalists this week, with official press passes going out in May.

The other item in the top-three was also a minor surprise, and we're working behind the scenes to figure out the best approach.

We're also looking into bringing more outside experts into ATS, as well as relaunching ATS Premium.

Our members have spoken. You told us what you'd like to see. And now we're working on it.

And don't forget, a new poll is now running in the permanent position for member polls, The Discussion Board Home Page. From this point forward, all member polls will be displayed in the right-side column of the board home, unless we have a special purpose poll that won't fit the available space.

Thanks for participating.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

This was a bit of a surprise, as no one expected book reviews to come in at the top.

Wow! I didn't see that one either. I thought for sure the news corps would blow all the rest out of the water. What kind of book reviews are we talking here SO? Books of a conspiracy nature or just books in general?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux
What kind of book reviews are we talking here SO?

Definitely books that fall within the subject areas of ATS. Hopefully we'll have a solid corps of reviewers that can receive a steady stream of free advance copies from publishers.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm really surprised i thought for sure it would be alternative news, or conspiracy theory experts.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I didnt expect to see book reviews as number 1 either. I would be more interested in conspiracy experts in relation to book reviews. Also movie reviews?? That one was one I would not expect to see at all. I usually go to a very well known movie database site for those.
ATS premium? What would that be? I am new on this site and it sounds like it would be good but what would one expect from it?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

I had received a copy of a 2012 book ("2012, Biography of a Time Traveler" by Daniel Pinchbeck) and forwarded it on to Skyfloating for an official review... which gave me the idea to stick reviews into the poll. I guess if you think about it, reviews of decent books within the "alternative topics" genre are sort of a content combination of both news and experts. Looking back it makes sense, but still a bit of a (pleasant) surprise.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Book reviews? You have got to be kidding! My vote was for conspiracy experts but oh well!
The masses have spoken.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Book reviews are a good thing. I think that there are a lot of people on this site who are readers and would love to have some direction on what books to read that tie in with the topics ATS focuses on.

I'd love to be a reviewer; I inhale around 10+ books a week.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by chise61

I had received a copy of a 2012 book ("2012, Biography of a Time Traveler" by Daniel Pinchbeck) and forwarded it on to Skyfloating for an official review... which gave me the idea to stick reviews into the poll. I guess if you think about it, reviews of decent books within the "alternative topics" genre are sort of a content combination of both news and experts. Looking back it makes sense, but still a bit of a (pleasant) surprise.

I thinks its a brilliant move, and one i will be looking forward to see

I think the Polls are great. It's really nice to see a site that takes an active interest in its members - setting a nice example for others to follow.

Proud Member of ATS.
(No this isn't brown nosing, its heart felt
)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Book reviews are just a way for ATS to make more money with affiliate links.

The poll results are probably a lie.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

nevermind

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 20-4-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by X-tal_Phusion
Book reviews? You have got to be kidding! My vote was for conspiracy experts but oh well!
The masses have spoken.

Don't be disheartened. The thing about ATS is that they are always coming up with new material. It's very possible that you will see your wishes incorporated at some point in the future.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte

The poll results are probably a lie.

do you not think our members read books??? I would think there are more that DO than dont

I guess you can't please everyone

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I would like to see a dedicated group of people to act as after-news experts.

I don't know how to describe this group but let me give some examples.
It's a far-fetched possibility though

271 million pounds of pharmaceuticals into waterways that often provide drinking water
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Let's take the above article for example.
ok... now what?

How much will a brita water filterer help
what are cleaner alternatives?

Oh no, toothpaste has bad chemicals in it...
now what?? What are my options?

I heard that you shouldn't eat microwaved food, it alters your metabolism since it's radiactive food.
Is this true? okay.. now what?
what are my alternatives?
And whats the full scope of the issue?

Celebrex ruined my father's kidneys
okay... now what?

in 2001 Toyota painted the bottom of the car black
this way people wouldn't notice oil leaks
ok.. what other manufacturers did that?

organic gardening, organic food
is it really organic?
any food brands to look out for?

splenda, aspartame
all bad for you
ok.... what are my safe soda alternatives?

stay away from Bayer, they are evil
okay... what are good alternatives?

and so on and so forth
this would be a difficult project to implement but think of the possibilities

I am also fairly competent in several of these elements.

It could be interesting.
Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Book Reviews in the top slot doesn't even make sense — the majority of posters on ATS are essentially illiterate, judging from their contributions, so how can book reviews, of all things, come in at the top of the poll?

This is based on how many responses, 1400 or so? Are you certain there has been no tampering with results? I smell a conspiracy here — no, wait, that's a bowl of chili that I put in my desk drawer last week.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
the majority of posters on ATS are essentially illiterate, judging from their contributions, so how can book reviews, of all things, come in at the top of the poll?

Well, a quick look at Quantcast will show the opposite is true:

www.quantcast.com...

There is a high index of Graduates and Post Graduates here.

Quantcast Demographics link wasn't loading. so I re-posted the main page. The Demographics link is in the header.

[edit on 20/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think this is great.

I wanted either book or movie reviews so I'm glad we will get an official book review thread/forum/whatever.

Nice one

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte

There will be no affiliate links related to book reviews or related revenue generation.

Your comment is inappropriate and off-base. The results are the results of member votes.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the link, Masqua.
That was very interesting to see. I've always wondered what kinds of people were on here and in many ways, my suspicions were confirmed!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My first vote would have been for the News Corps but I was of the understanding that it was already being implemented so I cast my vote for book reviews, I'm glad it came top but I'm suprised!

I resent the comment about the users being illiterate and suprised by the lack of respect for the users and staff of ATS on this thread.

I tried starting a thread for book reviews but due to the format of the forums it isn't really possible, so im looking forward to seeing how you make it happen. Will you be indexing titles?

And as to who can review, I read roughly a book a week, and the topics vary. If I see a book I have read can I review it or do I have to be pre-selected?

Hope it gets implemented soon, Thank You!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join