It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay co-founders lost

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm so very sad about this because i honestly thought they would win. The trial was completely on their side, the points they made were better, their arguments were better, their entire case was better! So why did they lose? I wonder what happened behind the scenes, who got paid off, who got threatened etc etc.

Just unbelievable.

On another note, if a radio station plays music that it paid to play and someone records it, then is the radio station an accessory to breach of copyright?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I think that the most perverse aspect of this case is that entertainment companies such as Sony, Warner Bros et al are hunting down these pirates and using the full force of the law - laws that have probably been bought (no typo!) in to existence...

...yet it is the very same entertainment companies that will be raking in the money from movies such as The Boat That Rocked - a film about pirate DJs and radio stations and the like.

You can't have it both ways - well, it seems that you can because they are!

Maybe we should rethink the way and the reasons why we give these companies our money - money being the only language they know of course.

Edit to add: Any future appeal may benefit from drawing upon the obvious glamourisation of piracy by the entertainment industry as being an influence on their actions.

[edit on 17/4/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It appears that our friendly neighborhood cyber terrorists aren't going to stand for this.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hyzera
It appears that our friendly neighborhood cyber terrorists aren't going to stand for this.

People who download piracy websites are not terrorists nor are those who go on 4chan.... or maybe I cannot detect humour. Anyway, they should sue MediaDefender for trying to use illegal methods to take them down. Who the hell was the genious who decided to use DOS attacks!? LMFAO NOOBS.

Here's some gold.

Following the raid, the number of The Pirate Bay registered users grew from one million to 2.7 million. The number of peers grew almost five times, from 2.5 million to 12 million.[3] The Pirate Bay now claims more than twenty-five million active users.[5]

Wikipedia.

[edit on 17/4/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

How Naked the CORRUPTION in this RULING!!

Just goes to show - let me print the money and it matters not who makes the laws!!!

GOOGLE is just as F'ing Guilty as Pirate Bay - Period!

PERIOD!!!!!!!!!

If one is safe from persecution then ALL ARE!!!

What a m-f'in Travesty of Justice!!!!!

I sure hope the People of Sweeden stand up and CONDEMN this CRIMINAL DECISION!!!

I have used TPB for plenty of legitimate, legal searches for LEGAL files - and will continue to! - All this does is jail four POLITICAL PRISONERS for the sake of CORPORATE GREED!!!!

This is UTTER MADNESSS!!!

If they can do THIS they CAN and WILL destroy FREEDOM on the INTERNET!!

WE ARE NOT IMMUNE!!!

[edit on 17-4-2009 by TruthMagnet]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

People who download piracy websites are not terrorists nor are those who go on 4chan.... or maybe I cannot detect humour. Anyway, they should sue MediaDefender for trying to use illegal methods to take them down. Who the hell was the genious who decided to use DOS attacks!? LMFAO NOOBS.

Humor is indeed detected in this quadrant, /b/rother. The thread I took those screenshots from also had MPAA's dox posted.

I never heard anything about a dos attack, but I did see this:

*Anonymous, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to download that torrent. While it's downloading go out and buy a big spindle of DVDs. Burn the whole thing to each and every one of them, write on the front what it is, and that it comes courtesy of Anonymous and The Pirate Bay.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Are these the same Pirates taking over US Navy ships?
jk...

This is bad news. But guys... it's not gonna stop the anything. Torrents will live forever!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I wouldn't be so mad about this if the money was actually going to the people who owned the copyright.

But the money is probably going to the greedy people in the RIAA, and the MPAA, or whatever multimillion dollar organization that decided to press lawsuits this time.

I don't see how uploading/downloading free music or movies is any worse than selling/buying old dvds/cds on ebay or something. And when people upload stuff they are not making a profit or anything, but when you resell it you actually do make a profit.

So much hypocrisy

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Others have said this but i wanted to just clarify it.

Piratebay gives links to films, music, tv shows etc.

Google also gives links to the EXACT same information. I rarely capitalise my words but i wanted to emphasis here. Google also link to the EXACT same stuff piratebay does.

So how exactly is it that one company can provide links to all of this illegal stuff but another website cannot and ends up in court, losing and being fined and jailed?

The hypocrisy is astounding and it shows that the entire process was corrupted. The piratebay made a far better case, their experts were better and they completely destroyed the opposition, i think that is why so many people are shocked.

For all those who disagree i ask you to explain the above scenario, why is it google can link the stuff but PB can't?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
is there anything we can do to help them? can we e-mail someone over it Sweden? sign a partition? anything?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nick_napalm
I wouldn't be so mad about this if the money was actually going to the people who owned the copyright.

But the money is probably going to the greedy people in the RIAA, and the MPAA, or whatever multimillion dollar organization that decided to press lawsuits this time.

The thing that confuses me is where exactly that 3 million is going to come from, since The Pirate Bay was free, and therefore can't possibly have that much money anyway.

And anyway, like a multinational will notice an extra 3 mil all of a sudden, they'll spend it in microseconds.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
The thing that confuses me is where exactly that 3 million is going to come from, since The Pirate Bay was free, and therefore can't possibly have that much money anyway.

And anyway, like a multinational will notice an extra 3 mil all of a sudden, they'll spend it in microseconds.

Yeah that gets me also. The PB actually made a loss in it's first 3 years i believe and from then on only made slightly more than it cost to run the website. The idea that they made millions off of this is absolutely ridiculous. The PB founders embody the hacker spirit and the hacker spirit is not one often connected with profit.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Wow, that sucks big time.

I somehow hoped they would've won.

Well, f**k the RIAA and all their nonsensical crap.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
It's so strange, that they've gone to jail for sharing things. I was always taught sharing was a good thing, but there you go.

What planet do you people live on?

You have absolutely NO right to decide that you're going to share out someone elses property, and I say good riddance that they've been found guilty & sent down.

I personally have penned 2 books, and although you probably think it's a walk in the park to write a book, I can assure you it isn't - months of research, months putting it together, and then marketing it.

It is my livlihood, and what do I find? Some reprehensible little scrote somewhere has decided that's he's going to share my work with other people for free - what the Hell gives him the right to do that?

If you download copyrighted material from torrents then you are a THIEF - PERIOD!

It has nothing to do woth "sharing" or "the internet being free," what it has everything to do with is scumbag freeloaders who don't want to pay for someone elses hard work, financial outlay, time, and effort.

I hope they get the ISPs to log anyone who uses a torrent and fine them all.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lozenge

Torrents will live forever!!
Remember supernova? I worked for comcast and it turned out that site was actually ran off of the personal webspace they give thier customers. That got shut down, and 10 more popped up, its gonna keep going, power to the seeders!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

Are there any E-Book versions of your books? (Starts up Utorrent......)

I can only speak for myself when I say that I go to more movies (now that I can try before I buy so to speak), buy more computer games, and buy more music. Take for example the supposed "leak" of the new X-Men movie, had I not seen that version, there's no way I would have drug myself to a theater to watch it, but now, ya can bet I'll be there on May 1rst. Free advertising is good, M'kay?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

You have absolutely NO right to decide that you're going to share out someone elses property, and I say good riddance that they've been found guilty & sent down.

But they didn't share someone elses property. THEY have no right for double standards, and unlawful jailment. Just visited Pirate Bay - still up - I made a random search; result - "SEARCH ENGINE OVERLOADED".

LMAO.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yes, there are ebook versions of my books, which is what is on the torrent sites. Some of them show downloads of a few thousand times, which at £9.99 = a lot of money that I've been robbed of.

This used to be my income.

If you all feel it's okay to help yourselves to the fruits of someone elses labours, then how would you feel if you go pick up your pay check at the end of the month only to be told that your bosses decided to share it out amongst themselves.

I bet you wouldn't think sharing was so great then, would you?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I urge you, implore you to please read this, which breaks down the legalese of record labels contracts to musicians. It shows just how one-sided the copyright/royalties are towards the fat cats; this is why torrents should exist, to empower and free musicians from the shackles of corporate greed

My solution:

Allow musicians/content creators to upload their music to a central repository and let them decide how much they want to charge. Each upload is given a tracker code, similar to what Google do with their Analytic's software. Now if someone wants to embed a video using their music (or whatever), the tracker lets them know exactly who is using their music and they will get get monies accordingly.

This will work purely because the market then decides how much to pay and from where. If the artist charges too much, then no-one will use their content, so a sliding scale will ensue and the content delivery will evolve to benefit everyone. This a killer solution purely because it negates any need for a middle man who rapes and pillages over 90% of the original musicians profit.

I also find it suspicious the way Time Warner have withdrew their capped download proposal and YouTube announcing movie content in the last few days, just before TPB were convicted.

p.s. the decision was leaked 1hour in court by a reporter, before the judge made the announcement.

p.p.s. "The judge also stated that the usage of BitTorrent at The Pirate Bay is illegal". TPB doesn't use BT, they are just a search engine for linked files. Whether the user uses BitTorrent or uTorrent is irrelevant, so it just shows that the judge had no grasp of the technology involved and made a nonsensical, sweeping statement/judgement.

This is just the first round; upon appeal, the technology will be scrutinised further and they will be found not guilty, otherwise yes, every blog using videos without permission, every search engine will be liable, etc and the repercussions are too severe to allow a criminal prosecution to stand. However, this will take years to appeal, so business as usual.

Just please, please don't buy any music at inflated prices from their corrupt distribution channels. That is the only way to fight this decision. Hit 'em where it hurts...their pockets

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

But they didn't share someone elses property. THEY have no right for double standards, and unlawful jailment. Just visited Pirate Bay - still up - I made a random search; result - "SEARCH ENGINE OVERLOADED".

YES THEY DID - the films, muusic, books, and everything else do not belong to them. It is theft.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join