It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay co-founders lost

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

What books have you written? Unless your Stephen King or Dan Brown no one would give a toss about downloading your books me thinks

How does you writing a book over a matter of months (is that all? including research time?) compare to making a movie, writing a music album or programming the next big console title?

I am assuming that you are not a bestseller, now unless I am totally wrong, what makes you think that you can stand side by side with the big boys?

Trust me, the big boys don't care about you too much, if at all.

[edit on 17/4/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
Just please, please don't buy any music at inflated prices from their corrupt distribution channels. That is the only way to fight this decision. Hit 'em where it hurts...their pockets

What on Earth are you talking about?

What other noble stand have you made for the rights of musicians other than to steal their material?

You seem to be making some nonsensical stance about "evil record companies" and that you're some kind of white knight standing up for their rights.

What utter tosh!

No matter what a poor deal they might have, it's still infinitely better than the artist getting ZERO because you don't want to pay.

And that is what your infantile arguments boil down to - it's all about you not being able to get free stuff that you're bothered about, not anyones rights, or evil corporations.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

What books have you written? Unless your Stephen King or Dan Brown no one would give a toss about downloading your books me thinks

How does you writing a book over a matter of months (is that all? including research time?) compare to making a movie, writing a music album or programming the next big console title?

I am assuming that you are not a bestseller, now unless I am totally wrong, what makes you think that you can stand side by side with the big boys?

Trust me, the big boys don't care about you too much, if at all.

I'm well aware of where I stand in the pecking order thank you very much, but over 3 years my books earned me around $250K and I was in the top 30 books on Amazon UK with one of the books I published in print.

The number of downloads show how many people wanted to download the books, and it equates to £10's of Thousands, so forgive me of not taking any of you scummy freeloaders seriously when you give your various idiotic explanation for why stealing is right.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

Originally posted by C0bzz

You have absolutely NO right to decide that you're going to share out someone elses property, and I say good riddance that they've been found guilty & sent down.

But they didn't share someone elses property. THEY have no right for double standards, and unlawful jailment. Just visited Pirate Bay - still up - I made a random search; result - "SEARCH ENGINE OVERLOADED".

[edit on 17/4/2009 by C0bzz]

YES THEY DID - the films, muusic, books, and everything else do not belong to them. It is theft.

They did in the same way any search engine like Google does, or any filesharing programme like Emule, Limewire, does, or any video website such as Youtube or Google video. What does fining the creators of TPB do? Nothing. The website is still up, overloaded with search engine requests.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

What books?

You could be anyone saying anything to try and get a point across.

U2U me your details - I will not share what I find - a) it would violate t&cs and b) im a stand up guy

I am actually quite intrigued

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Google & You tube do not tend to have entire albums or films on them, and where they have they are usually quickly removed - but in any case just because Google might do it doesn't make it right either.

You can't take other peoples work, it isn't right, and although you might try to excuse it, it is inexcusable.

This represents peoples livlihoods - how would you like it if someone took yours?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm not going to tell you what they are because I like my privacy, and it doesn't matter even if I were just saying it to get a point across, the point is completely valid.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Power_Semi wrote:

If you download copyrighted material from torrents then you are a THIEF - PERIOD!

How can you steal copyright. A thief denies the original item from the owner; copyright is a COPY. Surely proliferation of works is good marketing!!

Some of them show downloads of a few thousand times, which at £9.99 = a lot of money that I've been robbed of.

How can you state something so silly. How can you you prove that each download is a lost sale? If 1-10% of these downloaders then became a fan of your works, then you are increasing your market penetration.

For your reference, i am creating software for musicians and guess what, it will be free so i can cross-sell other stuff. It's the new business model of the internet, so i suggest you take your Draconian mentality and crawl back into your cave, you troll.

You cannot equate digital content to tangible goods, so there is no theft.

Regarding your books, you make money from selling a physical book (i presume). I wouldn't want to read a lengthy eBook on my TFT monitor, instead, if i liked your works by downloading a torrent, i would buy your book so i can read it at an airport waiting room, for example.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

No worries

For the record I do not download stuff - I have witnessed the quality of the movies and it is terrible. I like my music on disc with all the artwork as a complete package. I like my books in my hand and not on a screen or some crappy ebook reader or, god forbid, a whole book printed out on A4!!!

I can fully understand why people steal though. It is because they can not afford to pay for the actual product. Yeah, you could argue - go out and get a proper job but then the argument comes back that what they being asked to pay is too much.

And that is probably at the crux of this debate:

How much should we be paying for movies, music and books et al.

Is it right that actors demand $40m per movie?

Do we still need the middleman?

You were selling your books for £10 - the chances are that I have never even heard of you. Why is your ebook more expensive than that of a bestselling author's paperback?

Through your own hardwork you earned $250k from work that took you a matter of months. Is that not enough for you? Did you not factor in piracy losses when doing your business plan for your authoring? Or is it just a hobby? A sideline and you already have another job that you are paid for?

Your business I am sure but piracy is their business and I have no doubt that they will visciously protect their assumed rights as you will yours.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Google video and Youtube both have entire albums scattered all through them; these are uploaded by users, not Youtube or Google Video themselves. Search engines such as Google merely provide links to data that the internet has generated. Does it make sense to sue, jail, the owners of Google and Youtube because of what user generated ecosystems creates while furthermore letting the website remain and the stealing continue? If someone searched something illegal with google, and surprise, something illegal comes up, do you then jail google without any changes? This is EXACTLY what's happening. If anyone wants to prevent piracy then jailing a couple of people that didn't even share anything doesn't make any sense.

Let's not forget that one of the reasons to jail these guys was...

"These guys weren't making a principled stand, they were out to line their own pockets. There was nothing meritorious about their behaviour, it was reprehensible.

Which is a freaken JOKE. I guess the people they are working for are for a moral stand.

Pirate Bay is a TRACKER, not a host; it distributes ZERO copy-writes files. Unlike Youtube and Google Video, of course.

Also, ALL of the music I like was found using videos uploaded to websites such as Youtube and to deny people that would result in artists not getting any publication at all. To claim that all downloads are lost profits is blasphemy and untrue. Many artists encourage file sharing of their work so they get more publication...Century media and Alex Jones come to mind. I uploaded part of a documentary to ATS media, wonder if the owners of ATS will get jailed for it? But of course that won't happen, it doesn't make any sense and is a double standard.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Talking of the piracy of movies how many movies have been placed just on this web site. Have any one bothered to pay the publishers of those films or get permission from them to post links to them. and for the book writer have you watched any of them if so pay up sucker or go to jail for a year and pay 3 million in fines.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

What planet do you people live on?

You have absolutely NO right to decide that you're going to share out someone elses property, and I say good riddance that they've been found guilty & sent down.

I would again pu tto you the fact that google also links this stuff. Are you also calling for the prosecution of the people involved in google along with fines? Because if you support this PB decision you need to support prosecution of google also, along with yahoo, and ask.com

If you cannot support the prosecution of these people then you should be silent. If you do support their prosecution then i would suggest you look behind the scenes at the powers that enabled this decision whilst glossing over the google issue.

EDIT

I would also say that if you cannot address this obvious hypocrisy then you should remain silent for the rest of this thread.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Google & You tube do not tend to have entire albums or films on them, and where they have they are usually quickly removed - but in any case just because Google might do it doesn't make it right either.

You can't take other peoples work, it isn't right, and although you might try to excuse it, it is inexcusable.

This represents peoples livlihoods - how would you like it if someone took yours?

What the hell are you talking about???

look up any album or movie and it's probably on youtube or google video. (well maybe not movie but I have watched quite a few movies on there.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You made $250,000 over three years and you are complaining about a thousand or so downloads? I would take a complaint more seriously from someone who was struggling a bit more. If they were unable to sustain a living because of what was happening it might make more sense.

And like others have said, if somebody that downloaded your book was unable to download your book, that doesn't mean they would buy it. I haven't seen any evidence which has shown a loss in sales in any market due to pirating.

All of these writers, artists, movie execs, etc. which complain about pirating could learn a thing or two from the software industry. Open source is the way it is headed (developed for free, and distributed for free). Tons of people work hard and give their work away for free. Does that mean there is no money to be made? No...it actually creates opportunities.

I think when people don't embrace freedom of sharing (ie. Metallica in Napster days) they suffer more-so. People don't like those who prevent distribution of any type of art form.

People who embrace it have free advertising. Word of mouth has just extended to P2P sharing, and enables people to become more well know. If someone tells people that they've read your book, even if they illegally downloaded it, that is more people that know your name. Having your name in people's minds is what is important, and what can generate greater revenue.

Edited to add: Look at PC games, they can still make millions. And while somebody might go to a theater to watch a movie on a big screen, or buy a book to read it on paper, there is no benefit to buying PC games versus downloading them. Yet, they still make as much as before pirating was so big. So what is the deal? Where is all the loss in sales?

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Nickmare]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Oh noez! How dare they impede our RIGHT to STEAL copyrighted material?!

So I guess if enough people commit a crime then it's ok. Is that what you people are saying? At what point did you decide that it's fine to steal media material online and that somehow it is your right to do so? Is shoplifting fine too?

I guess you think you're "stickin' it to the man" but actually you're stickin' it to one of the few American industries still alive.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaznational
Oh noez! How dare they impede our RIGHT to STEAL copyrighted material?!

So I guess if enough people commit a crime then it's ok. Is that what you people are saying? At what point did you decide that it's fine to steal media material online and that somehow it is your right to do so? Is shoplifting fine too?

I guess you think you're "stickin' it to the man" but actually you're stickin' it to one of the few American industries still alive.

They didn't impede peoples beliefs that they can steal - they raided the servers a while ago and didn't find anything to do that. So they went after the creators who neither share or upload anything. The Pirate Bay is still up, as is this website, google, google video, youtube, and practically every website in existance. Let's not use double standards here.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
All this means is people are just going to be more creative, piracy is a fact of life, just like off somalia, sure it hurts indipendant artists who have not yet made a name for themselves, but in reality all it takes to be famous now a days is a major record label behind you. they will higher good sound engineers and producers you just have to make sure you can write songs that don't suck. and in the case of most recently released hip-hop songs (lil john I'm looking at you) you don't even need that you just need good instrumentation. I find it saddening that there are such great bands out there for example:

Ronald Jenkees:
www.youtube.com...

hes got such damn catchy music, and yet without a major record company he won't get any radio play time.

Judgment Day
www.youtube.com...

A unique mix of a cello, a violin, distortion pedels, and a drumkit manages to fuse classical music and heavy metal.

The common theme between them is that they share their music for free. Ronald Jenkees and Judgment day to charge for the CD's but when its going to help the artist directly and not some sort of middle man you feel good about your contribution you are directly making thier lives better. Then, the record companies end up trying ot make the CD's as cheaply as possible so the result is lower quality music, and crap like that loudness wars (where CD's are mixed as loudly as possible for no reason other than to sound loud) If I could listen to the bands music for free I would feel more comfortable with buying their crappy overpriced memorabilia.

In conclusion I would like to go back to my original point, Piracy is a fact of life in the music industry and until you make music free its going to happen. Even the venerable iTunes is not immune to piracy as we saw with the hacking of the gift certificate code. Pirate Bay will live on, Demonoid will live on, and thousands of other websites will as well. Oink.cd is an exception because it will no doubtly be shut down after this pirate bay ruling, unless they appeal to a higher court

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spaznational

Most of the movies now are being filmed in other countries so the actors and film companies can avoid us taxes. Is that the same us companies you say are the thriving us companies. The same type of companies and people who have this same country Switzerland hiding there money in secret accounts so they don't have to pay taxes on it.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

What planet do you people live on?

I personally have penned 2 books, and although you probably think it's a walk in the park to write a book, I can assure you it isn't - months of research, months putting it together, and then marketing it.

It is my livlihood, and what do I find? Some reprehensible little scrote somewhere has decided that's he's going to share my work with other people for free - what the Hell gives him the right to do that?

Soooo... I think it can be safe to assume that you share Sarah Palin's hard line stance against libraries as well?

And you must be REALLY steamed at their little "overdue book" financial scam...

Regardless of The Pirate Bay's philosophical position, one must admit that Google (and many search engines) are culpable of the EXACT same behavior and potential abuse.

That is why I think the world must view these four as Political Prisoners - because they are being persecuted for their Belief's and NOT their actions!

Otherwise Google, et al.. would be co-defendents in this slippery slope show-trial.

And, imho, if intellectual property was no longer protected people would STILL financially support good, original, works in all areas.

If that wouldn't generate enough revenue for you then I doubt the world will really miss your literary greatness - it's a sacrfice many of us are willing to make to ADVANCE THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE!!!

Goodbye... and Good Riddance!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Oh man, this is terrible.

These guys who actually did no harm to anyone will spend one year in jail and be forced to pay MILLIONS for what? Because they developed a free file-sharing site where contributors are the only ones responsible for the stuff they put in.

Looks like this will put a major pressure on the heads of TPB for allowing electronic surveillance by the government, if they allow the site to stay online.

How infuriating. On the other hand there's thousands of hackers and geeks out there who might end up striking very hard at the RIAA and its corporate parasites, which would be worth oceans of applaud.

Still, although governments and big corporations can get a hold on a few individuals who participated into what they call "piracy", this simply cannot stop, or even severely damage the whole movement, because it is like a hydra; when they cut one of its heads, others heads will grow elsewhere. Remember Napster? The truth is that WWW has quickly become a beast that turned against its masters, and the only way for them to protect the entertainment industry from it would be to bring it down.

[edit on 17/4/09 by Echtelion]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join