It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Threatens War Against Japan Over Missile

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Agreed and that's something many people forget. Numbers mean jack if they can't go anywhere due to logistical or transport issues or if they don't even have enough weapons.

The Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force is the 3rd largest navy in the world after the US Navy and the British Royal Navy. Japan has top of the line equipment and well trained personnel operating them. Japan could send North Korea back into the caveman times without even breaking a sweat.

And that is why I said in my previous post that North Korea has absolutely zero intention of actually going to war. Japan's threats won't stop NK from actually going forward with the launch. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if NK wants Japan to shoot the rocket down. Look at it this way... with reports of Iranian scientists on the ground at the launch site and a history of past weapons sales, if my theory of this launch being a big product demonstation is correct, then a Japanese shoot-down definitely wouldn't hurt the situation in the least... and very well could help, as the Koreans would save face if the rocket failed to stay on course or failed to deliver the range that was promised.

Here is the scenario as it will play out:

* Missile launched
* Missle splashes down with mixed reports (US & Japan say 'equipment failure' and NK saying 'shoot down')
* NK ups rhetoric and moves some troops around and towards the border
* SK goes on full alert
* China calls for diplomatic talks
* The US agrees
* Concessions are reached and NK is given some oil and other gifts to 'dismantle their ICBM program'
* Crisis averted... everyone wins (Obama looks solid in international politics, China looks like a great peacemaker, Japan proves their manhood, NK gets their goodies)
* Quietly, Iran, Venizula, Pakistan, etc. buy up some groovy new NK technology and hire a few rocket scientists

Rinse and repeat the next time NK has some new goods for the marketplace.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Agreed. I just did a little research on the North Korean Navy vs. the Japanese Defense Force. If the North Koreans want to have a go at the Japanese, it would be a slaughter. The Japanese have a more than 4:1 tonnage advantage vs. N. Korea. The best offensive ships the North Koreans have are short range missile patrol boats. The Japanese have multiple state-of-the-art Aegis missile destroyers. Those things are no joke- the North Koreans can't touch them.

Assume the entire Japanese naval defense force were on holiday, and decided to give the North Koreans a pass. The entire capacity of the North Korean amphibious fleet:

3000 troops
32 light tanks
150 amphibious hovercraft

To invade a country of 127 million? Good luck with that. They'd never make it past the beach.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The ballistic trajectory will show very clearly and very early into the flight if the splashdown is going to be in or near Japan.

The US Navy will only shoot the thing down if the missiles actual trajectory fits those parameters, I would expect that land based PAC-3 versions of the Patriot missile are standing by as a backup.

Bottom line - the N.Koreans will be very careful not to have a trajectory profile that comes near to Japan, and the Americans will not fire on it unless they are certain that it will impact Japanese territory.

Nothing spectacular will happen, sorry, no war.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by moonwilson

Yeah because NK will attack Japan using it's boats... come on. NK would launch their missiles, hundreds of them at Japan. They could place a nuke on one of them... but we're not even sure that NK have nukes and warheads is even less likely.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Very interesting thread, i do think larphillips has got the right idea though
As for the other missiles that NK has i was under the impression they were all pointed at the south... maybe alot over 10k i have read that are all on standby 24/7

why would they aim these the other way i doubt they would even reach and the statements regarding japans ability to react are right, they have some very expensive kit they are fully trained to use should anyone start.

Will be very interesting to see what happens if it does kick off as i know there are alot of american troops there as well and there not going to be put in any situation without big gund ready to assist..

lets hope they get what they want as they normaly do by throwing the toys out the pram!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Right...

In reply to the nuke comment, let's go ahead and nuke an entire country, full of people that already mostly depise their little leader just to 'be done with it' (so to speak).

I'd love to respect your opinion on this matter but comments/thoughts like that are completely anti-human.

I actually almost understand where the guy (kim) is coming from. It's just like the Iranians in my mind, I kinda understand where they are coming from to rebel against the US.
However his track record is horrible (just like Iran vs. Israel and the comments about the holocaust), he doesn't care about his people and that very fact is enough for me to support anything that would remove him (with the exception of the above acclaimed nuclear strike).

Moral is you can't punish people for what their leaders do. There's a reason collective punishment is always a no-go, it's even in the Geneva Articles. NK does this so they have a rebellious tool to get what they want -- or specifically to get what they need. There's respect in that but they are going about it in a complete wrong fashion. Sometimes you just gotta suck in the pride and roll with the flow to meet your needs.

I still think they should call NK's bluff since its always the same rhetoric. I doubt war would be an answer to, even in the times we face the Art of Warfare in that region has a complete different respect and meaning than most of us are used to here.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
North Korea is like that asshole that lives on the end of your block. Everyones had to deal with that guy. They have skinny kids but a nice car, they love to try and intimidate the neighborhood but look like a moron when they do it, and they are loud and proud gun owners that never bother to learn to use them. I think that while North Korea would lose ( And by a wide margin at that ) a war with Japan, that would hardly stop them from trying.

Thankfully China seems to be as tired of dealing with North Korea as the rest of the world, so I don't think we'll see a replay of the Korean War here.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Um, I don't think North Korea has many missiles that can actually hit Japan. They have a few Scuds I guess, but they hardly have hundreds of long range missiles. It's over 400km from North Korea to Japan. And the missiles they do have can't carry the primitive type of nuclear weapon they are likely to posess.

That's why North Korea threatening war against anyone except South Korea is a joke. If they want to fight the Japanese, they have to hop in their little boats and cruise across the Sea of Japan first. Which would be a mistake.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Here is a recent artcile (from the 30th) with a picture of the launch pad. Though I can say, because I was just told, the picture is not current. Could be a week or more old.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Now that's just scary.... That looks like one of our mobile nuke launchers rather than a communications satellite launcher..

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
While i agree with the other statements that if japanese airspace integrity is compromised they should act ,but if anyone thinks japan can *open a can of whoopass* without thinking of the severe consequences that would entail..they need their heads checked in all honesty.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Now that certainly is a missile of some substance... i think japan has a very good reason to take that out should it come anywhere near there country...

This is really gonna cause some worry when that is launched... is there any more photos around of this?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaChOMaNuGGeT
Now that certainly is a missile of some substance... i think japan has a very good reason to take that out should it come anywhere near there country...

This is really gonna cause some worry when that is launched... is there any more photos around of this?

The CIA can only photoshop so fast... give 'em time.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
....., NUKE THE HELL OUT OF NK.

I'm sick of those bastards. Obliterate them, ANNIHILATE THEM.

. We're tired of NK BS and killing of it's people.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

So your tired of North Korea killing its own people.

Your Solution ....
"NUKE THE HELL OUT OF NK /Obliterate them, ANNIHILATE THEM"

Nice to see you thought that one through .

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well that's an interesting development. How exactly would NK go about attacking Japan?

I'm just curious as to how they would attempt an assault, without any of Japan's allies getting in on the action and leveling the place.

I figured they would always just retaliate against SK with their hefty number of artillery cannons pointed at Seoul.

Nevertheless this is a very scary situation, NK could possibly open the doors to very big conflict among nations. This could run far deeper than just NK, Japan and the US. There are alot of other countries with vested interest in those areas, and I don't think they will allow such a conflict to be localized.

Does Japan even have a way of shootind down that missile once it's in their territory? I figured the altitude would be too high at that point.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Does Japan even have a way of shootind down that missile once it's in their territory? I figured the altitude would be too high at that point.

~Keeper

I have read the Japanese have some very very hi-tech ships and missiles themselves so i dont think shooting it down would be an issue its what happens after that or if it even goes that way is the more worrying issue!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Japans *allies* much like S.Korea dont have all the time in the world to mobilize...and by the time they do...what? the country they planned on defending is a smoldering glass crater,good luck with that..seems pretty pointless and america and other nations know it.Like i have said before though,if this missile(assuming it is) gets shot down N.Korea will huff and puff but wont blow anything down in the end.Nobody even knows if lil kim is alive..could be his generals calling the shots for all we know.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This will be a non-event - just like all the other times. They detonated a nuke (supposedly) and nobody did a thing. This glorified bottle-rocket won't start WWIII. The whole story will fizzle out, much like the launch most likely, until NK do the same thing again in a few months. Yawn.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Details. I said that NK should be nuked if they started a war. If you know the whole situation there, you would know that if NK starts a war, they'll shoot everything they've got at Seoul, killing millions.

So what would you do against that? Sit by? Protest? While millions are dying? Or start bombing them? Bombing them with conventionnal weapons? Do you know how much time it would take to wipe out the thousands of artillery pieces in the mountains using conventionnal weapons while people are dying in Seoul?

The only way to stop the raining shells on Seoul immediately would be nukes. Better to kill the scum in NK than to let Seoul civilians be killed, sorry.

I do not advocate nuking NK if they don't do a thing.

Hopefully NOTHING will happen at all. Death of civilians is disgusting and we've seen it too much already in the 20th century and in the last 8 years.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
well we will soon find out, the date is set for 4-8 of april,

If they can shout there mouth off at Japan, Im guessing they have more stuff than we think "or better tech"... Now if Japan does shoot this thing down..and NK fire off a missile at Japan..

Lets face it here all sh#t will hit the fan, Its not like you can stop Japan defending its own airspace, think if israel and lebanon.. this can kick off anytime..

I just hope NK is saber rattling, but little kimmy may wanna go out with a bang and not a wimper, i mean what has he got to lose? the guys is on his way out..

lets see what happens

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join