It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Threatens War Against Japan Over Missile

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Thing is though, if NK goes to war, China will follow and drag the rest of us with them.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

thats not sadistic thats a logical solution to quickly finishing a war.. it's not like a yank going "LET ME PRESS THE RED BUTTON! YEE-HAW!" or a commie scum from 1945 raping 3 million civilians.. an EMP into known launch pads and military defences=no aerial losses thus the air force reigns supreme as all military equipment is fried..however the 50 mile radios is the problem..but electrics,property can be rebuilt and repaired.. humans cannot be 100% when having sustained heavy damage.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
If there were ever a case to made for foreign occupation, this is it.

NK is just stirring the pot a little more than they did the last time.

Lets say they are not launching a satellite, but are actually developing a long range delivery system for a nuclear payload, as is suspected in many circles.

I ask then, what are they going to do with it? It's not like they'll be able to whip out the worlds largest nuclear arsenal and simultaneously obliterate all of their perceived enemies. I also ask, what are you going to accomplish by developing a missile that can reach Alaska? Do they think they can earn some "street credit" by nuking a few eskimos in Nome and not end up having their country turned into a crater by a far superior force? Do they think we're to preoccupied in Iraq to push a few buttons? They're rattling sabers at forces who could remove all evidence that they ever existed with a single submarine.

No. They're not that stupid. Which is why this situation merits serious consideration, and knee jerk reactions must be avoided at all costs. Even the mighty lion doesn't dare confront the elephant without a devious plan and a lot of backup.

So now, what's the plan, and who's the backup?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Woah, if NK decides to wage war against Japan, Japan will ask us for aid. China being the sheisty mofo's they are, they'll piggy back on NK's war just to lure out the US.

Weird thing is, I had a dream I was fighting against the North Koreans last night. F me in the A if that's a sign.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
I personally think NK's leader is a lunatic who just wants his childish desires, or like the 3 year old who cannot have a toy, he'll pitch one til he's spanked. I have read enough articles on him that I seriously threw up in my mouth a little after reading about his antics.

I think, for the sake of the people who have to live under his .... *cough* rule he needs to be eliminated completely. Him, his cronies, and anyone who supports him. And then annex the country back to SK.

But- this is just MY mouth flapping.

Sorry friend, you must understand that every NKorean is brainwashed since childhood to stand against the Americans. Remember how fanatic the Japs were in WWII ? How costly it was to take island after island ? It will be the same thing with NK, they have good weapons and good soldiers, unlike some Middle Eastern countries that we know, but starvation will eventually make them break. In case the UN decides to take action, it's gonna be our tax money at work for them to be indoctrinated in our capitalist system. Think it will work?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

I hope your dream was bull# !!!!!!

You can remember some details of it ???

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
While I speculate on what might happen I think I'll just sit back and watch this unfold.

If WW3 happens.... I have something to worry about besides the economy.
If nothing... Someone shove a tree up a certain totalitarian's buttocks to make his lips stop flapping.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
In a war situ I would predict that North Korean tactics would attempt to draw the enemy onto them by using guerilla tactics, kidnapping of Japanese citizens like they have done so dis-honorably in the past.

The biggest danger they possess is that they have chem and bio weapons and a leadership that is fast becomming very unstable.

HUMAN TRIALS NORTH KOREA'S biological and chemical weapons have never been deployed against outside enemies. According to defectors, however, they have been used inside the country on human test subjects. The victims: political prisoners.

......Up to 30 percent of the country's missile and artillery stocks is capable of delivering such chemicals, according to the Nuclear Threat Initiative, an organization that monitors nuclear, biological and chemical weapons proliferation.

www.popularmechanics.com...

[edit on 31-3-2009 by freeradical]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
LOL!!!!!

I'm sure Japan is shaking in their boots! If NK wants to commit suicide then that might explain a rationale to threaten Japan.

China is too busy making money to care about the fate of NK! They will be on their own if they choose this course. IMHO of course.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

Then again, if I have come to know one thing about ATSers, it's that they pay VERY close attention to world events...

And that's why this is now my favorite site on the web.

As for North Korea rattling their sabre again, let them. They have no real ability to attack Japan, and if they did, Japan would call for world aid via the UN and it would be 1950's Korea all over again.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
OK,

clearly it's treaty time......no, let me explain.

I mean who has treaties (defense) in the area.

Specifically, "I believe" The US (others?) has a defense treaty with Japan.
I refer to the basic, if Japan is attacked, the US is required to come to their aid/attack their enemies.

Does China have a defense treaty with N.K??? Does anyone... really?

Would it be the excuse for China to slap around Japan for WW2???

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

You know South Korea couldn’t move back 30 miles because that would be giving up their capital to a regime that has probably the worst human rights record of any government, anywhere in the world.
In addition why would either side move back when they both have one kilometre each of land mined “no man’s land” that divides them?

North Korea has almost no contact with the outside world because that’s a ways it’s government likes to stop people from either protesting or “defecting” i.e. leaving North Korea. In fact any North Korea who leaves without the governments approval is regarded by the state as a traitor. In order to prevent it many “defectors” have been publicly executed as a warning to others.
[more/]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I can't see the motivation really behind this for NK. I'm no means an expert on this so I wonder what their intentions are. Surely a war or conflict of some sort wouldn't be in anyone's best interest...or would it somehow?
I don't get NK to be honest, Iran seems a lot more predictable.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
North Korea army total number of active personnel: 1,190,000
Japan: 238,000

Plus, North Korea have almost 8 million in reserve
The highest troop to citizen ratio!

While Japan's annual military spending is higher at $50 billion to NK's $6 billion. North Korea's weaponry is infact obsolete when compared to its adversaries. However, Japan lacks any overseas ability such as an invasion, it is trained as a defense force and lacks any long range missile capability. With North Korea having these working long range missiles, they have the upper hand if only a slight one. Neither country has the capability of invading the other.

Japan has had discussions with Australia for a united military force similar to NATO, enter the Asian union
So If NK were to put pressure on Japan, they will be quick to change their rules of engagement and article 9 which has come under so much debate and scrutiny.

In this economic situation, perhaps this appears to be an advantage or even a constructed event to catapult the allied Asian countries into war and creat a union.

The issue is china, with a $2 billion investment in NK and a shaky relationship, who knows which side it will take? Beijing is also the primary source of food and aid to NK so the way China handles this is almost the decider.

That's a scenario if worse comes to worse. Whether NK sees this as an opportunity to attack an already weakened US or just to receive more aid, more money for their military is speculative.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
With Obama in office, North Korea could very well launch it. They'll take their chances with him...

Not a chance in hell did they ever think about launching one while war mongering Bush and his cronies were in office.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by doorbell412]

[edit on 31-3-2009 by doorbell412]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

The Korean war, at its peak, was North Korean communists, Chinese (and perhaps Soviet backing) vs. South Korean capitalists and the UN. The war never officially ended- a stalemate was reached at the 38th parallel. Both sides dug in there, creating a demilitarized zone between North and South, and the country was divided.

South Korea is a successful, highly modern society, and is a valuable member of the international community. North Korea is a pariah- living mostly on aid from China and South Korea. The N. Korean government doesn't have many friends in the world, certainly nobody willing to go to the mat with the United States over them. Ironically, the one nation they can threaten militarily, South Korea, is their number one source of aid, IIRC. North Korea is under heavy international sanctions, and they have no exports to speak of. Their food production is limited by the government to keep the society functioning at near starvation levels. There is nothing wrong with the North Korean people, except perhaps 50 years or so of brainwashing. The North Korean people are the real victims here- they live under the most repressive conditions imaginable.

If North Korea starts a war in the region, several things will happen- first, and worst, Seoul would be wiped out- flattened. The damage to the region would be catastrophic. Imagine what would happen to Europe if Paris or London were nuked- and you start to get the picture. I've spent a lot of time in Seoul, I have family there. It is one of the nicest, friendliest, cleanest and most fun cities in the world. The people there are awesome. If it were to be annihilated, it would be a tragedy beyond imagining- it would be Holocaust bad.

Once the North wiped out Seoul, and crushed the 20,000 or so US troops in the region, they would press south and raid. Taegu would be the next major city to be wiped out- another wonderful place, my wife's home town. About that point, the North Korean soldiers would probably start to look around and realize that they've been lied to their entire lives. And Pyongyang would have been devastated by American airstrikes by then. The North Korean Regime would be destroyed- if not outright in the American air or nuclear counterstrike, then shortly thereafter by the North Korean people themselves. Seoul would be a smoking hole by the time North Koreans saw it, but once they got a look at what the rest of the South looks like, they'd put the pieces back together. Take a North Korean to Lotte World, and show them an Iphone, and their head will explode.

If war hits, Korea would be unified, but it would be a mess- the economy would collapse, they'd be set back to the 1950s. And there would be untold civil strife and anger over the loss of life and devastation. Notice I didn't mention Japan? That's because Japan wouldn't have to do anything. Beyond ballistic missiles, North Korea presents no threat to them whatsoever. They simply have no way to project power across the Sea of Japan. Besides which, the Japanese have the US in their corner. We have a defense agreement with them, as we do with Taiwan, which says we have their backs. If Japan is attacked, we are automatically at war. Similarly, if South Korea attacks, we are at war, the same goes for Taiwan. The UN is on the side of the South Koreans as well, so besides the US, Kim Jong Il has to worry about them as well. I believe that if North Korea starts a fight, China will step away, and let the rest of the world deal with the mess. They would be sorely tempted to have a go at Taiwan.

Japan would probably go after a few of the Korean islands which are in dispute, and take them. I'm not sure if the US would let them get away with that, but I suspect we would.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Pardon me, but The United States Navy is the ultimate deterrent in the area with their Los Angeles and Ohio class nuclear-powered submarines. No one, that includes China, has any desire to engage these subs, if they knew where they were.

The 46 Los Angeles class fast attack submarines main armaments consist of a minimum of 25 Tomahawk Cruise missiles per sub. 31 subs of this class have an additional 12 vertical launch tubes for launching Tomahawks.

Also in the area may be the Ohio class SSBN/SSGN NP subs of which 18 were put into service. 4 Ohio class SSGN (guided missile) submarines were modified and carry a maximum of 154 Tomahawk Cruise missiles, each.

If that is not enough, each of the 14 Ohio SSBN's (Tridents) have a compliment of 24 Trident II (D5) SLBMs. Each SLBM (Sea Launched Ballistic Missile) warhead consists of 8 MIRV's, with a nominal yield of 50 kilotons, each. JUST ONE Ohio class SLBM sub can independently target 192 different locations, 50 kilotons each. (Hiroshima 12-15 KT).

Flight time to North Korea is in minutes.

I'd guess there are at least a minimum of 3 or 4 of these bad boys in the area which will keep the lid on the situation.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MattMulder

Good point, most of the NK population is brainwashed and their leader is a nutjob. I have serious doubts that at this point China would fully back this idiot.

China may "support him" publicly but I don't think they'd risk mutually assured destruction by messing with Japan or the USA at this point. Maybe in 10-20 years they might be willing to risk it but I don't think that the Chinese are at the point where they'd be comfortable confronting the USA military. The commies have stolen enough of our technology to drastically improve but I think we could still take 'em. But the end result would be millions if not billions dead - not something we should be looking forward to.

Next time you're shopping and have to make a decision maybe it should be to try and boycott items that say, "Made in China."

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
post removed by author.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by dkman222]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think it would be absolutely great if Japan shoots NKs missle down. Many will die, but at least a new Korea will be born. No south and no north, just Korea.

I believe this is a new beginning for the Korean people. So please Japan, shoot it down and let there be war!

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Gouki]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join