It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being queer is a sexual disorder

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HulaAnglers

Male River Dolphins have been known to insert their penis into the blow-hole, on the to of a friend`s head,

Lmfao sorry i can't stop laughing lmfao

Oh have mercy lol

You made me cry lol
opp's sorry mate i accidentally put my penis in your nose...
It's ok mate happens all the time lol

Btw how do they know it's his friend it might be his enemy....are we dr.dolittle now?
lol

Lmfao

Last time i will post on this subject but that description of that video is killing me lol
aapnews.aappublications.org...
Homosexuality is a 'treatable' gender-role disorder

To consider homosexuality an abnormal condition should not to be correlated with bigotry or homophobia, any more than considering alcoholism as abnormal would be tantamount to being "alcoholophobic."

ABove is a major pediatrician magazine.
[edit on 30-3-2009 by TheAmused]

[edit on 30-3-2009 by TheAmused]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I have to laugh sort of when people say...anyone who constantly dwells on how society views them have a mental problem.

You sort of misquoted me there, the way you typed that wasn't what I was getting at.

But it's a fact. A stable and healthy mind doesn't give a rat's ass what other people think.

Lets see, when do most people find out they're gay....I know! when they're about 12 or even earlier for some. A kid at that age depends on others by nature, and they are not supposed to care what others think? A person that doesn't give a rat's ass about society might also be diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder, so watch out!

I know this because, a couple of decades ago, I used to constantly worry about how I was perceived by others, and I used to drink myself into a "comfort zone" where I no longer cared. That is a mental disorder. Finally, I sought the advice of a psychologist, who showed me — or, rather, helped me to rediscover — that a balanced and independent mind does not need a crutch. Subsequently, I gave up drinking, released my fear, and returned to the world of the living.

I agree that anxiety is a big problem, in kids though its a different story because society has a greater influence than when they're adaults.

So, living at the mercy of other people's opinion of you definitely is a mental disorder. It's a fearful, self-perpetuating obsession, but it can be broken.

I agree.

Doesn't matter what you blame for your problem — whether it's social injustice or political oppression or just mean old homophobes — the fact is that it's your problem, nobody else's, and it's up to you to release your fear and get rid of that useless baggage.

I'm not blaming anyone but there are external influences that come into play, no denying it. Look at PTSD from soldiers that come back from Iraq, they might have been susceptible through genetics but the environment is what triggered it.

What if a black person way back when when slavery was around, lynchings and everything, "constantly dwelled" on societial views about blacks and was distressed by it, is that a mental problem or a real concern? Both I'd say. And that IS other peoples' problem, not just the single person.

In this country, we end up taking care of those in need, and that isn't changing any time soon. So we end up sharing everyone's problems because we are connected. A person will get help, but at what cost to the others. No person is an island as they say, our actions affect other people.

I'm not speaking on my personal anything, so don't think I was talking about myself. Ultimately its the individual that is in pain and wishes to get better, but in the case of general mental illness, it requires the work of others to help out as can be seen in your case.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Sigh. You sound like a broken record.

Psychology is NOT an accurate science...

If you read up more on Psychosexual disorders and more specific homosexuality, you’ll find:

II Disorders of Sexual Preference (Paraphilias) and Homosexuality
This category of disorders is strongly influenced by prevailing social and cultural attitudes, since it concerns whether particular types of sexual behaviour are accepted as “normal” by society. Consider, for instance, how masturbation was openly condemned in Victorian England, or how homosexuality is still readily considered deviant in many segments of Asian society and we realize the controversy surrounding this subject. However, sexual behaviours would certainly be considered problematic if harm is caused to another person, e.g. forcible sexual intercourse with a child. Distress may also be experienced by individuals who harbour moral conflicts, feel rejected by others or have relationship difficulties as a result of their sexual preferences.
Homosexuality, though not considered to be a psychosexual disorder per se, is discussed in this section, because patients present quite commonly with distress directly relating to their homosexual orientation and lifestyle.
The cause of homosexuality is still hotly debated. Both biological and psychosocial factors probably play a role. There is no clear evidence to clearly establish a genetic or hormonal basis. Others have pointed to homosexuals having a poor relationship with the parent of the same sex during childhood, who may have been weak and ineffectual or cold and distant.
Source

Three things are clear.
1. Social and cultural influences play a big role in defining so-called mental disorders.
2. Homosexuality in broad is not considered a psychological disorder.
3. Even psychologists admit that they don’t know whether it’s psychological, genetic or both.

If the eggheads can’t be sure of this, how can you possibly be correct with your armchair psychoanalysis?

Oh. Are we still playing the denial game?
TheAmused, you’re an apple. And you’re overly-invested in the whole gay issue.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
A couple observations ---
1. The gays I've seen and known are always and I do mean always predatory way beyond that heterosexuals are. That's a bit of a stereotype but it's my experience. I have never met an "open" gay who is not openly predatory. Of course lots of heterosexuals today feel they are "liberated, smart, enlightened" by being sexually open. Ignorance knows no bounds.

That is indeed a massive generalization.

And I'd like to know how you decide what "predatory" means.

Do you mean that such gay men actively seek sex more than straight men? Because if so, I can tell you now ALL men, gay, bi or straight are exactly the same. You think straight men go to clubs every Friday and Saturday night just to have a boogie on the dance floor?

What about "dogging" (might just be a UK phenomena, if so look it up). That's a heterosexual sport too, although gay men have their "cruising" too.

Men are men. Gay men are no more predatory than straight, and if your perception tells you otherwise I believe your perception is mistaken.

Originally posted by ReelView
2. The higher relationship of real love is friendship. It is not sex. Sex is a low class beastly function that lowers the consciousness. Marriage (heterosexual) is not a declaration of sex. It is a recognition of the struggle with sex and the goal of moderation in pursuit of a family. A homosexual by definition is stating they have placed love and friendship on a lower pedestal in order to selfishly pursue sex. Yes, today the brainwashing is everywhere and the struggle for singles to pursue abstinence in favor or love and friendship is very hard. And we are let to believe by the 2 bit video advertisements that all singles in their teens and twenties are wild. Perhaps many or most are but that is the power of brainwashing.

You're completely wrong.

The men I have slept with are my friends before anything else.
The sexual relationship between two men is, more often than not, based on friendship and mutual respect, or love in the case of a relationship.

When two men combine fleetingly in a sexual encounter (JUST AS MILLIONS OF STRAIGHT MEN AND WOMEN DO EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR!) it is done with respect and appreciation, camaraderie, if you will.

Really, trying to paint men who sleep with men as a lower class of citizen based on the completely false ideas you propose is a really cheap shot, and quite a weak one that any sensible person will see straight through.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I wanted share my experiences. I believe that I am a guy with homosexual tendencies brought on by mental defect and improper socialization. I have bipolar disorder, along with social phobia. This means that I have an extreme fear of social situations and violent mood swings.

The sexuality portion begins back in school. I never socialized with peers after class. In school I only associated with boys. I was always far more comfortable around guys than girls. As I got older I was pressured into going out with girls. I had probably two “girlfriends” that I would only hang out with at school. Beyond that time I did not see them. The idea of being intimate with a women never seemed feasible or worth it. It was only after I graduated from high school did I start finding myself attracted to men. A certain guy I know (who is a strict Christian lol) is one of the few people that I could be intimate with. The attraction to women isn't comparable to that of men.

Now what does all this have to do with the topic at hand. I believe that SOME people who identify themselves as homosexual have a mental defect or disorder. The homosexuality can be a side effect to some other previously known psychological problem like bipolar or social anxiety. With a disorder if the person is not socialized in the correct manner they can become a homosexual.

Two things need to be stressed on this issue. It is just as possible, if not more so, that there are those who are born homosexual. Homosexuality is apparent in nature, so it isn't a stretch to see it in humans. Second HOMOSEXUALITY HARMS NO ONE! There is no need to describe homosexuality as a disorder because there is no need to treat it. Any attempt to force treatment on a homosexual should be met with the highest form of resistance possible.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
i have noticed that some old and proven false ideas against homosexuality had raised their ugly heads.. and i have seen some baiting.
there have been a few that say that they have a right to believe that its a disroder, and that homosexuality will never be accepted by some.. true enough.. in a sense.. but what these people fail to understand is that homosexuality had been around as long as straights.. and that the arguments they are using are propaganda tools spread by religous zealots
to further their agenda.. which tends to be we see things this way and all else are going to hell. and we are gonna throw major hissy fits if we dont get our way. no matter who gets hurt.. most of the religous reich just dont care if their diatribe leads to cases like matthew sheppard, i find this kind of ignorance, and lack of responsibility, and superiority complex. to be disgusting.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
if you put 50 homosexual men on an island for 100 years what do you think would happen when they go back to check on them? or 50 women for that matter? its pretty simple. everything has duality. balance must be had in order to continue. that was the way it was meant and intended.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NettleTea

i still dont think is was a disorder. it was just latent. as due to the pressure to date girls by u'r friends and family.. and sociaity in general.. and it is easy to call it a disorder.. but the reallity is that its not.. and dont let people push that idea on you based on 60 year old phycological books that have been discredited papers based on a religous dogma that is highly debateable

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisHere

that would be accurate for that island.. how ever lets expand on that..
wouldnt it be sensible that if that is the case duality and balance call for gays to try to ease massive overpopulation..

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
There's all sorts of biological evidence for sexual orientation.

The brain nucleus is larger in men than women. It is also smaller in gay men than straight men. There are indications (ie various body part measurements) that lesbians on average, are exposed to more fetal testosterone than straight women.

Twin studies found that sexual orientation is heritable in both sexes. And in some cases there was chromosomal evidence. Two seperate studies have revealed that 67% of gay brothers in a new saturated sample shared a marker on the X chromosome at Xq28.

Another study shows a corolation between how many older brothers a man has, and a likelyhood to be homosexual. It's estimated that one out of seven gay men is so due to the influence of fratenal brother birth order.

There's also some indication that the mother's genetic makeup has some effect too.

Clearly, I'm not going into detail here, and there are environment considerations as well, but I don't want to sidetrack the thread, only point out that to say that there's no biological evidence, is wrong. That there is no 'gay gene' doesn't negate the miles of research done that does prove that there are biological indicators.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

biology is more than genetics..

do you have links to this info.. good info though.. it just leaves a bit to imagination

[edit on 30-3-2009 by scorand]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I must agree with your point that Homosexuality hurts nobody and there is NO need to call it a disorder, as disorders are usually un-wanted things which cause problems in the world.

Homosexuality does not cause any problems. It is only when bigotted ignorant people attempt to stop gay people from living the lives they have the right to live, do we end up havin a problem.

However, you say that you blame your homosexual tendencies on your disorder. I beg to differ. You stated that you were never fullly attracted to women, if that is the case then you must have always had some inclination of being gay.

Attraction is a chemical reaction in the brain, certain scents, molecules, touches etc, provide a cocktail of different amino acids and peptides that swirl around creating your fellings. Those cannot be helped, and yes granted they can be affected by a mental disorder such as being Bipolar, however, I think that in most cases you simply cannot choose who you are attracted to, regardless of whether you like it or not.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...

www.sciencemag.org...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.sciencemag.org...

repositories.cdlib.org...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Etc...

I suggest looking over this wiki entry for a summary of some of the works:

en.wikipedia.org...

and this article in particular is interesting (and includes the full text):

www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Playing "devil's advocate" here, though maybe it's "god's advocate?"

Perhaps there is some validity. It seems that homosexuality became more prominent in 'successful' times. Greeks, Romans, etc. have had stories of homosexuality during times of extreme prosperity. Perhaps it is all about enviroment.

"Sex with the opposite sex is so boring, it's gotten old, I need a new high."

My truthful opinion(looking from both sides):

I think that there are those who see beauty in things that are not the norm. I also think that there are those who join a group simply because it is what they are used to, or because they are 'talked into' it. I also see a lot of stereotyping based on how a person acts. If a woman is just a little TOO dominant/submissive, or a man is a little TOO submissive/dominant, then the label shall be applied regardless of their sexual activities.

There are very "queer"(I would say gay) people, and there are very "straight" people, and then there are all of those who are in between. That is what both sides fight for, trying to recruit at younger and younger ages.

I say please.. PLEASE, just let people do whatever they feel is right. They will either hang themselves, or prosper depending on their own destiny.

I wish that "LIVE AND LET LIVE" policy worked, but it never will because of all the hearts and minds out there that both sides all want to RECRUIT.

Straight recruiting tools have been seen many times: any word for being gay.

Gay recruiting tools: homophobe, religious fanatic, and others that I'm sure people here at ATS are smart enough to figure out.

I've known many straight and gay people, they are constantly trying to out-do one another. I've found that most of the people who "**** anything they possibly can" are those in the middle, or those who are confused.

Also, in my experience, homosexuality isn't as rare as it used to be. If religious sects really want to decrease it they should just shut up, and start making more children's programming, because they are losing.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I am glad we agree that being gay hurts no one.

I probably should have clarified more on the other point. I used to have the physical attraction to women and not men. At that time in my life though I never got personal with anyone, man or women. Now that I am older and in a different environment (college instead of high school) I am finding what used to turn me on (meaning women) no longer does. I honestly think that certain mental instabilities coupled with lack luster socialization experiences have shifted my sexual orientation. I am not expecting you to believe it on blind faith though.

Anyway about it I think that people should just be cool to each other.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonking76
Also, in my experience, homosexuality isn't as rare as it used to be. If religious sects really want to decrease it they should just shut up, and start making more children's programming, because they are losing.

THERE ARE a lot of gay, cross-dressing and sexually confused cartoons out there!
That would be a good idea.
The only cartoons about morality or growing up right are kind of dumb on TBN or something.
Whatever happened to snoopy!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonking76

I am sorry I must disagree with your statements.

There is no ammount of words that could describe how much we are NOT trying to recruit anybody for anything. That goes for Gays and Straights alike.

People make it out to be such a huge thing. STOP SENSATIONALIZING something so rudementry, something so simple to understand. There is no huge conflict, there is no recruiting for the war effort.

It's very simple, this is how things go. We gays say

"Hey we would like some rights please."

The religious say:

"No, we'd rather you didn't"

We in return:

"But what possibly reason could you have?"

Them in return:

"God told us so"

You see the vicious cycle here? It really doesn't matter if being gay comes down to genetics and biology, I actually wish it were determined to be a gene or a hereditary condition. Because that way, the religious people wouln't tell us it's a choice, and that it's not natural. There would be evidence, pure fact.

Well then again, they do usually ignore science anyway. But the blame isn't all on there part either. We have done our fair share of cheap shots over the years in an attempt to gain momentum and support. The parades and the harassing and protesting of religious events and political events.

If I am to speak honestly about this however, I must ask...

What difference does it make if Gays are to marry or adopt children or live in your country free of prejudice and discrimination? How can a gay person negatively affect a straight person's life during the run of their day?

Is it really just fear of the unknown? Or fear of finding out and actually enjoying it?

I am truly at a loss to see why this would matter to people at all, why it would be such a big debacle over who gets to love who, it simply seems ridiculous to me.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

No I agree with you. Your case is one of few that I have encountered where the chemical imbalance in your brain caused by your Bipolar disorder, is also messing with your the attraction side of the brain.

Aslong as you are not becoming depressed over this, because quite frankly girls are a headache

No but on a serious note, I've been where you've been and although I decided ultimately to stay with men, I use to be attracted to women and know what kind of struggle that is.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
reply to post by

In fact, there is strong evidence that homosexuality is used in nature to control populations - there is a species of gull that goes homosexual when populations reach a certain level.

Given the sometimes extremely crowded conditions of our inner cities, I might expect to see an increase of homosexuality in our species.

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Amaterasu]

Thats very interesting , i`ve often wondered on an "evolutionary level ", why something (genetic/behavioural or other) that decreases the possibility to pass on ones genes ...... persists .

Do you have any link to the animal study you mentioned ?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You say being gay hurt's no one right?

www.cnn.com...

It shows 53 percent of the estimated 56,000 cases of new HIV infection in 2006 were among gay and bisexual men,

www.cdc.gov...

In the United States, HIV infection and AIDS have had a tremendous effect on men who have sex with men (MSM). MSM accounted for 71% of all HIV infections among male adults and adolescents in 2005 (based on data from 33 states with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting), even though only about 5% to 7% of male adults and adolescents in the United States identify themselves as MSM [1, 2].

Now i know 71% of those MsM do not only have sex with men.
Bisexual ect...
They in turn spread the HIV virus to strait people. they got the hiv from MSM.
so to say they have hurt no one is absurd.

I personally know 3 women who are strait.
Who's husband's have cheated on them with gay men for loving.

They have never cheated or waved from there heterosexuality.

But now have hiv from SMS husbands that cheat.

So DO NOT say being gay does not hurt anyone your dead wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join