It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My BOB

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Ok, I need to go through all of the threads here on Bug Out Bags,and in particular what I wanted to do is create an actual list, with stock numbers. Since Walmart is all over North America, it would be nice to work on the most effective bag for the cheapest, with parts numbers.

Here are my thoughts so far without reading the other posts, and I will return here with actual things I buy. Any input is appreciated. The spelling is bad, I am on a bad connection, do not want to lose these thoughts, will clean up later.

The goal is to be no more than 25 lbs plus the weight of the bag, which is going to get a small feat considering the list.

Personal Protection:
One or two cans of Bear Mace. My thinking on this is that if there is a pole shift or energetic change, the animals might become a pretty big threat and domestic dogs might pack up. It does not take long for a group of Master free dogs to choose a new leader.

Zip bags:
Ziplock bags are light, and good for all kinds storage purposes, and lets you store wet cloths and stuff

Snare Wire:
Two rolls of snare wire, good for rabbits etc.

Hunting Knife:
Nothing too large, something small enough to put on belt without weighing a person down.

Map of Area:
A topographical map that shows streams and rivers, with elevation

Compass:
A quality compass, plastic ok, but pay a little more.

2 Plastic Tarp Type Drops Sheets:
At least large enough to make a quick lean to over a few branches for shelter, but light enough carry. A second one for forest floor.

Flint etc.:
One or two fire type making devices, such as a flint to hit off the knife, or some sort of device.

Plastic shell for for body pants:
This would be a most basic pair of plastic shell types of pants like people use for jogging and stuff, to cover your pants in the rain, with a plastic shell to carry.

One good quality sweater, and two tshirts:
The thought is when you are bugging out, you take off what you are wearing, throw on a T#, and put on the close nit sweater. Store the other tshirt in the pack. With the shell, tshirts and sweater you got a good combination for almost any type of weather or climate.

Hydrogen Peroxide:
Get a 1 litre bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and then two small 30ml bottles with metal caps and at least one dropper. This can be used to sterilize water, and you can ingest it in small quantities in the case of a biological attack, etc. There are many uses, it might not hurt to take the uses of the net and reduce to small font, plastisize, and put in the BOB

Water filter:
Some kind of basic portable water filter, since HP will be used to sterilize.

Ointment:
good sized tube of polysporin, or other type of antiseptic ointment.

Medication:
One or two months of the medication you are on, if you take blood pressure go to a clinic and double up on prescriptions or ask for samples. Store the samples so your doctor does not know.

Pain Killer:
A medium strength tylenol, and a few heavy codine ones if you can get them, something to knock you out. Basically if there was a pole shift happening, you try to make a temporary shelter, crawl into your bag, dose yourself, and hopefully knock yourself out until the worse is over.

Plastic gloves:
4-5 pair neoprine plastic gloves to handle diseased animals or other such stuff, basically to be used for very dangerous problems.

Bungee cords: A small selection of bungee cords

Tie Downs: a few of the smallest 25 foot tie downs, the wrachet type with a fastener.

Oral Rehydration Salts
Good for cholera.

300 feet of cord. The lightest I can think of is the 500 pound tested line that they use for pulling network cables and stuff through walls. It is very light and sturdy.

One 25' length of heavier rope
(might not hurt to brush up on My knots)

Fishing line, good enough test to be durable. Few lures like red devils, and a jig lure as well. Some hooks, and at least one small float.

A light light net might not be bad if there is enough room, to catch minnows to be used as bate.

Mosquito netting to wear as a head dress.

Bug spray

Small tube blocker

Swiss Army Knife, which has a spoon and fork, the larger ones with a number of instruments.

One gremel tool, to wear on belt with knife.

LCD flashlight, one of the ones that can be recharged by shaking is good. Lighter the better.

Small portable AM/FM radio, lighter the better, possibly with headphones to save the weight. Small selection of AAA batteries for radio.

One Liter Lucite water jug

Emergency flash becon, I saw these at Walmart for about $12 they can be seen in water and from miles away, handy in case you need to be found.

harmonica - Something to learn and keep your mind off the matters at hand, a penny flute or light recorder will do.

Small quantity of protein power, and rice, or couscous.

Leatherman Multi-tool - I see Canadian Tire has these half price as of this writing.

Small hatchet - Preferably with a fibreglass handle, these can be heavy to carry, but there is models for belt.

Small mess kit, good enough to cook some rice over fire etc.,

I can see right now, this is going to be a challenge weight wise, it will take creative packing and the right backpack.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by SoulOrb]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well from what I can see you took some time to plan your BOB out.

You might want to ditch the batteries for a wind up radio, some have flashlights built in. a couple of butane lighters come in a handy with a flint stone for fire.

As for hooks,some treble hooks or Snell hooks with a bug or worm hooked on work better with a bobber and you might want to grab a couple wire leaders as well just in case them fish got nasty teeth.

...and if you got lots of trees to play with get a fold up saw and add in as many blades as you can in the fold up position which will help you in many ways. Having a shovel works in mysterious ways to.

Always remember that potable water is the most important thing. So unless you find a good well to use your going to be boiling water eventually.

Oh any if you do find a wide open well unattended make sure you shine a light down it. Better if you find one that's just the pump kind. If it has a bucket,be leary of it.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Wow, so you already have all these things ready? I asked my partner the other night if we should prepare anything. But he doesn't believe any of this is going to happen...

Cherry

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
A knife sharpner perhaps. If you have to use your knife a decent amount you might need to sharpen it.
Just a thought, other than that you have me beat.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You have got way too much stuff. You don't need three quarters of those things. Too much weight. In sitX you will most likely need to be very mobile. Not very likely with all that gear.

CherryDuck even if you can't convince your partner of the inevitable then prepare anyways. Make a BOB for both of you. If you need to then just don't tell him.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm really new to all this so please don't laugh.... What is stix?

2nd line

Cherry

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherryDuck

2nd line

Cherry

Situation X. Any given catastophe that changes the world or our lives in a major way.

And we don't laugh at newbies, we inform them to help them learn.

Oh and welcome to ATS and the survival forum. If you have any questions just ask.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by Anuubis]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Wow, so you already have all these things ready? I asked my partner the other night if we should prepare anything. But he doesn't believe any of this is going to happen...

Cherry

Nope, this is my short list. The goal is to then shop and get the cheapest price and the brands so then people can plan on how much they need to spend. Hopefully not only a list of what to get, the where to get and how much.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
You have got way too much stuff. You don't need three quarters of those things. Too much weight. In sitX you will most likely need to be very mobile. Not very likely with all that gear.

How long do you plan on being out for. Things like a drop sheet can be a little heavy, but what else do you do to keep yourself away from the chill of the ground?

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Thanks so much anuubis. I've seen it in a few of the forums, and was wondering. I'm a bit of a skeptic at heart, specially considering the whole 2000 thing where electronics where supposed to stop working and all that. But i don't see any harm in having a survival kit in your house, you never know what might happen. I live in aus, and considering the bush fires and the floods, i'm seriously considering getting one together, if not for a global disaster, then for natural disasters that have been plaguing aus for the last year or so.

Cherry

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SoulOrb

With my supplies and knowledge i can survive in the woods indefinately. As far as the ground issue goes, make a bed of branches and leaves or pine needles. They make a good insulator and are soft enough to be comfortable. Just put your sleeping bag on them. Simply make a lean-to to protect from rain and snow and you'll be fine.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

Cherry. Welcome to the survival forums.

There are alot on here whom pride themselves on helping people new to survival.

Annubis, Northern Raider, myself, waterdoctor to name only a small few.

Sorry to hear about your partner. Survival and survial prepardness always isnt the cool thing to do. Do you spend your weekend drinking with your friends, or learning how to create rope from tree bark? Can be intimidating at times.

However, it is extremely important you teach yourself how to take care of yourself if nothing else is available. With all the past "could be bads" such at Y2K, martial law, NWO post 9-11. There are many more reasons to prepare yourself. Katrina, 9-11, a snowstorm that takes out our power, hurricane, floods, etc...

This forum is about a BOB, and its insane ammount of weight in it and a pile of things that could be created from the land itself, instead of purchased at one of the worst conglomerates on earth. So Ill leave my advice for you there. Best bet would be start a thread stating something like, Im new, this is what I know, what should I do and why? You will hit 100 replies like nothing.

OP. Way too much stuff. I carry alot myself. But this is crazy. I could see setting up caches or having all of this at a BOL, but how on earth would you carry this? Team of oxen?

As for the water filter. Buy a katadyne. Best their is. I love mine.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Thanks salchanra, will do. lol and yes, drinking with my mates is at the top of our weekend priorities.

Cherry

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Like Salchanra said (even though he spelled my name wrong
) there are a lot of us that will help and give advice. There are a few who are not too nice but not many.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
While some attest to your bafg being too heavy,most of your items takes up more apace then are heavy..I geuss it depends on the gear you will be storing humping it with..I have much more in mine,and am fine with the wieght,but I guess it helps that its alll in a molle pack with cdded compartments that I can pull off and ditch if need be..All of that would be hell in a single grip carry type of bag...

From a military stand point I agree with most of your selection and why..Including a small tarp,moisture sucks sleeping on the ground,and they have many uses than just a lean two or camp mat..

Thee only problem I see is doing your self up while what ever happens..I know some people cant take pressure,and would rather just sleep through a panic or possibly your last breaths..But what would you say if staying alive or getting dead was only 1 decision or action that you where too looped to make??
In a sit x you may feel the worse fear you have ever felt but a clear head is needed..Fear is only temporary,lifes not......

BTW,I dont think I'm mean..I just say how i feel

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Cherry

???? 911 never happened, 7/7 Never happened, the australian fire storms never happened, the mud slids and fire in CA never happened, a global reccession is not happening, the Oghalla aquifer is not getting over extracted. Perhaps a new partner is needed as well as new kit ?

Jeez I just checked and your a Shiela living in a place thas has had the worst droughts in living memory down south, record floods up north, over waterings elsewwhere causing salt to rise to the surface of the land killing ity, a plague of roos, a plague of mice, gangs of lebanese attacking anyone and everyone. Your bloke needs wacking with a stick.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

2nd line

Cherry

A disaster be in natural or man made, war, terror, flood storm drought, fire storm, ice storm, tsunami, shortage of four x, plague of roos, water shortage, eucaliptus wild fire, snow storm, fuel or food shortages, plagues , pestilance, etc ANYTHING that puts your family and its well being at risk.
NR

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by SoulOrb

With my supplies and knowledge i can survive in the woods indefinately. As far as the ground issue goes, make a bed of branches and leaves or pine needles. They make a good insulator and are soft enough to be comfortable. Just put your sleeping bag on them. Simply make a lean-to to protect from rain and snow and you'll be fine.

And Anuubis likes to rub two boy scouts togther to make a fire with

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

As for the water filter. Buy a katadyne. Best their is. I love mine.

Cool, yes it does seem like alot. A number of years ago I spend 9 weeks backpacking through europe and come to appreciate being light, however sometimes the little things like old pastic bags and elastics gave alot of benefit, and that is what I am trying to determine. The cheapest way to get going, and then a cheap list. I do know, that a little bit of snare wire for example can make a big difference.

I think with all the input here I hope to produce a nice list for people, and exactly what it will cost them idea, but even with the supplies, unless a person used a snare before it can be a worthless item unless they learn how to do it.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
hi folks im new to ATS but from what i can tell from different threads that people are going a bit to mad on BOBs! Dont forget its about survival and not about comfort! i am ex british forces and have done many survival exercise in all climates and have seen even the strongest of people break down after a few hours in the cold! just remeber to eat as much as you can when you can and try to stay positve and you will come out ok! Northern Raider......lots of respect

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join