It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My BOB

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
Thee only problem I see is doing your self up while what ever happens..I know some people cant take pressure,and would rather just sleep through a panic or possibly your last breaths..But what would you say if staying alive or getting dead was only 1 decision or action that you where too looped to make??
[edit on 21-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

No, that is a valid point, and one that people are not taking seriously. Personally for 3 years now I have been shutting my life down, to a point I have basically a room of stuff, living light.

Last year when my roommate got a place, I put everything into storage, and threw a piece of chipboard in the back of the truck, and got a nice sleeping bag, and I slept in my truck for over two months. It is the psychological process at first, but you know, I only went to my storage unit once, and that was to put stuff in.

I would just pull up into a neighborhood that was flat, sneak into the back. A van would nave been nicer cause one morning I did not check and crawled over the tailgate and a guy was there watering his lawn, it was awkward. I just like smiled and he looked, got in my tuck and left.

Which brings me to a funny story. I fractured my thumb, broke a piece off the socket in this case. I lived with it for a month, but it did not go away, and the doctor wanted to make sure I did not hurt the blood supply since there was little swelling. So I got to the hospital for a xray, and the next thing i know I got this big gigantic cast on. So I quipped to the EMT who was working on me, "You know, I am sleeping in my truck right now, and you know what is worse than crawling over the gate of your truck and someone being next to you watering his lawn?" He said what? "I said doing it with your cast on".

So at that point I decided to get a room, cause they wanted to do surgery and I thought that might no well in the back of my truck for recovery, and in the end I opted out of the curgery and am glad I did cause I have long term effects but some soreness, but I am glad I tried the process of living in the truck. It disconnected me from society in many way, including meditating under the stars which eventually let to my ET contacts.

And I think that this is the thing that people do not see. If this happens it is the sense of loss that is hard to deal with. Your diet has changed. You no longer are distracted by having a beer at the local bar, or the tea at your coffee shop, or watching TV, all the things you use to preoccupy yourself. You are there, alone with yourself.

And luckily that is not my problem, I am a loner, spend alot of time along, enjoy my life and everything I do, and will find wonders to occupy my mind no matter where I go. However if people allow themselves to hit a state of shock, this will be difficult.

And my myself I have a benefit, since I was young I spent many evenings and nights and hours deep in the woods alone, just me and my dog, or my buddies and I with a tent and a few cans of beans around a fire in the middle of winter. However right now I choose to live in a city, but I have that experience, along with things such as having my own garden, when my family did not even have one or the land and the other farmers game me some of there, and then helping to feed the family when I was 12. And then years as a cub and boyscout, etc., so hopefully all that stuff will kick in at some point.

However in a long answer, you touched on the biggest struggle people will have. Themselves, which is why on my list I will have something with me to learn.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I just wanted to mention, I am not just trying to do up a BOB on survival away from home for 2-3 days.

When I go, I might never be back. I am leaving everything behind and just going. That is why mine is heavier, and I want enough to be able to live a month at least.

I have my life structured currently, that I plan to walk away. Literally if a door opened and beings walked into my room and said, we need you in the future, no likely just saying, I get up and walk into the door. That is the way I am structuring my life. And if a person cannot do that, they they might have too much emotional attachment to survive in the first place.

I guess that sort of breaks the concept of a BOB, cause people think they might have a base to return to. I am thinking it is a one way trip, so I am thinking long term BOB.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider???? 911 never happened, 7/7 Never happened, the australian fire storms never happened, the mud slids and fire in CA never happened, a global reccession is not happening, the Oghalla aquifer is not getting over extracted. Perhaps a new partner is needed as well as new kit ?

Jeez I just checked and your a Shiela living in a place thas has had the worst droughts in living memory down south, record floods up north, over waterings elsewwhere causing salt to rise to the surface of the land killing ity, a plague of roos, a plague of mice, gangs of lebanese attacking anyone and everyone. Your bloke needs wacking with a stick.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

I lol'ed at the "gangs of lebanese attacking anyone and everyone"
It also seems my misses needs a wacking with a stick as she keeps telling me i am crazy for wanting to be prepared.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
surviving doesnt mean living bare bones either..In a sitx situation,your gonna have to be the jack of all trades,The doctor ,the mechanic,the dentist.So more more your willing to carry the better..Its really a personal choice I guess..Remember there is no goin back to the car and driving to your nice warm home after the hike and stay in the woods..

I think people seem to forget there are no more shoppin trips after you bug out for real..

[edit on 21-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by taffyapple
many survival exercise in all climates and have seen even the strongest of people break down after a few hours in the cold! just remember to eat as much as you can when you can and try to stay positve and

I agree, but don't you think that if you feel a lack, it affects your mental attitude? In the forces you have others with you right? Or a sense of a connection to something, someone will eventually care to retrieve you? That you are somehow important, and you will be missed, or that you are part of an action.

My thought is, the people who take one of these are facing uncertainty often times, with or without their kids. You know, in that most recent War Of The Worlds movie, I think it was the most effective movie I ever saw that made me feel that emotion, of isolation and worthlessness. I think that is the challenge, bring whatever you need to make you think you can survive, to keep your spirits up.

It is like these people who survive mostly on pranic energy. If they do not keep their spirits high, they lose their connection, etc. Mental and emotional stability can be very comforting.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by SoulOrb]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
I think people seem to forget there are no more shoppin trips after you bug out for real..

I WILL SECOND THAT!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by CherryDuck
I'm really new to all this so please don't laugh.... What is stix?

2nd line

Cherry

A disaster be in natural or man made, war, terror, flood storm drought, fire storm, ice storm, tsunami, shortage of four x, plague of roos, water shortage, eucaliptus wild fire, snow storm, fuel or food shortages, plagues , pestilance, etc ANYTHING that puts your family and its well being at risk.
NR

AKA - Situation X, or SitX

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by SoulOrb

With my supplies and knowledge i can survive in the woods indefinately. As far as the ground

Anuubis, when it comes to fire making, what is your favorite and quickest and lightest, of course not including a lighter. LOL

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by r3dman
I lol'ed at the "gangs of lebanese attacking anyone and everyone"

In the case of a pole shift or something major, I am worried about these domestic animals. I look around, and there are a hell of alot of big dogs around where I live.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
if any1 wants any help with a simple BOB that can last you a few weeks please get in touch! Stay + people!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

hi folks im new to ATS but from what i can tell from different threads that people are going a bit to mad on BOBs! Dont forget its about survival and not about comfort! i am ex british forces and have done many survival exercise in all climates and have seen even the strongest of people break down after a few hours in the cold! just remeber to eat as much as you can when you can and try to stay positve and you will come out ok! Northern Raider......lots of respect

BOBs are not solely designed for fit young men hiding out in the woods, they are not survival kits they are a sewlected list of items that individuals or families or groups should have ready if they have to flee their home etc.
A lot of confusion arises cos so many ex squaddies like us confuse SURVIVALISM with WILDERNESS SURVIVAL and BUSHCRAFT. the BOBs are the designation for a pack kept at home or work that can sustyain tyou for at least 72 hours but with extra rations for a few weeks.
Respects and Welcome
NR

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoulOrb
I just wanted to mention, I am not just trying to do up a BOB on survival away from home for 2-3 days.

When I go, I might never be back. I am leaving everything behind and just going. That is why mine is heavier, and I want enough to be able to live a month at least.

I. I am thinking it is a one way trip, so I am thinking long term BOB.

Erm sorry to be a bit of a git but a BOB is a short term kit, designed for 72 hours to a few weeks use. What you are building is called an INCH bag Inch = I'm Not Coming Home. Yes its sdimilar in many ways to a BOB but its more like a long distance expedition kit rather than a BOB.
Respects NR

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

reply to post by SoulOrb

With my supplies and knowledge i can survive in the woods indefinately. As far as the ground issue goes, make a bed of branches and leaves or pine needles. They make a good insulator and are soft enough to be comfortable. Just put your sleeping bag on them. Simply make a lean-to to protect from rain and snow and you'll be fine.

And Anuubis likes to rub two boy scouts togther to make a fire with

And don't forget that if you chop one up really small, they make great kindling.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

hi folks im new to ATS but from what i can tell from different threads that people are going a bit to mad on BOBs! Dont forget its about survival and not about comfort! i am ex british forces and have done many survival exercise in all climates and have seen even the strongest of people break down after a few hours in the cold! just remeber to eat as much as you can when you can and try to stay positve and you will come out ok! Northern Raider......lots of respect

I've been telling people that for ever. All the gear i have in my BOB fits in the pouches of my tactical vest and molle pack leaving my hands free for my weapons.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Sorry folks if my post seemed a bit wrong....guess its coz im new ha ha! yeah NR i totaly agree with what you are saying and i think my post come over a bit wrong to people! think its what im trying to say that we seem to be preparing for the worst which is a good thing and lots of respect to you all but we can only get prepared physicaly! menatly what ever we do we are not gona be prepared for this! im not ready and i know nobody else is! nobody for sure knows what is gona happen so its all we can do is stay positive and try and look out for each other!....as for being an ex squaddie im not gonna be running around the woods with a rambo knife ha ha.....its gona be about keeping my family safe....sorry about the waffle

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I have my life structured currently, that I plan to walk away. Literally if a door opened and beings walked into my room and said, we need you in the future, no likely just saying, I get up and walk into the door. That is the way I am structuring my life. And if a person cannot do that, they they might have too much emotional attachment to survive in the first place.

I guess that sort of breaks the concept of a BOB, cause people think they might have a base to return to. I am thinking it is a one way trip, so I am thinking long term BOB.

And this brings up another point. It could be just my experiences, but i've noticed people who lead very structured lives are usually the least prepared and the first to panic in a random situation. People who rely on structure can't usually handle random encounters of any type.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

reply to post by SoulOrb

With my supplies and knowledge i can survive in the woods indefinately. As far as the ground

Anuubis, when it comes to fire making, what is your favorite and quickest and lightest, of course not including a lighter. LOL

I have three magnesium blocks and a small magnifying glass. Plus i know a little trick to start fires with ice in the winter. As long as you have a decent amount of sunlight.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

reply to post by SoulOrb

I have three magnesium blocks and a small magnifying glass. Plus i know a little trick to start fires with ice in the winter. As long as you have a decent amount of sunlight.
Hey i wanna hear about this trick with ice! we all have our own little tips and tricks and we need to start sharing them dont ya think? the only tip i can give at the moment is 1 we have probaly heard lots of times before! DONT EAT YELLOW SNOW!

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Northern Raider

Sorry folks if my post seemed a bit wrong....guess its coz im new ha ha! yeah NR i totaly agree with what you are saying and i think my post come over a bit wrong to people! think its what im trying to say that we seem to be preparing for the worst which is a good thing and lots of respect to you all but we can only get prepared physicaly! menatly what ever we do we are not gona be prepared for this! im not ready and i know nobody else is! nobody for sure knows what is gona happen so its all we can do is stay positive and try and look out for each other!....as for being an ex squaddie im not gonna be running around the woods with a rambo knife ha ha.....its gona be about keeping my family safe....sorry about the waffle

No problems old chap, you will soon settle in like the rest of us nut cases on the forums, dont apologise either because your comments were accurate, I just expanded on em a bit
)
NR

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by taffyapple

Don't forget not to eat the brown snow either.

If you live or will be bugging out to a location near a lake or river just cut a piece of clean ice about six inches in diameter. Shave it down to about the same shape as a magnifying glass with your knife. Once you have the general shape rub it with your hands to heat it up and polish the surface. Once it's polished and smooth and you have the same shape as a magnifying glass it will focus sunlight just like the magnifying glass.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join