It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H.R. 1388 - "Required Service" and "Mandatory Volunteer"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
mandatory "anything" is a big no-no, no matter how you slice it.

if we had gone through some super mega-disaster where we had to pull society together and rebuild infrastructure, i could see working together for a greater cause, but again being forced to do so is not what we're all about.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Please take the time to write your congressmen/women and email your friends about this.

This is dangerous!!!!

[edit on 3/17/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Let me see, " Anything mandatory is dangerous". That would include seat belts, air bags, safety rails, pasteurized milk, expiration dates on food and medicine, electrical codes, stop signs, turn signals, school zone speed limits, zoning laws, motorcycle and bicycle helmets, bike reflectors, drivers licences, blade guards on circular saws, shatter proof auto glass, warning labels on poisonous materials, power tools, ladders, chain saws, car jacks, rear view mirrors, hair dryers, heating pads, cigarette packs, appliances, plastic bags, toys, garage doors, aerosol cans, auto gas caps, jet skis, and so many other things that the list of things that are mandatory could go on for longer than I want to think about..... All of this danger makes me wonder why any of us are still alive.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
So, not only will they take a confiscatory amount of the fruits of your labors, but they will also force your labor.

Just imagine the "useful" projects we could "volunteer" for. Teaching carbon reduction classes. Building free housing for illegal aliens. Delivering food to "poor" people who are too fat to work. We could do so much good!!!

At that point, I am ready to take up arms against my oppressor.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Can you please re-phrase your reply, Stella? I can't decipher what you are trying to say. No disrespect intended - I want to understand.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by shrike071]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

I just got an E-mail by congress org that I am a member off, to voice my opinion to my congress representative about this bill.

And I told them exactly what I feel about this shady program.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
Let me see, " Anything mandatory is dangerous". That would include seat belts, air bags, safety rails, pasteurized milk,..............

Anything that requires my mandatory-servitude to a Government, person or entity that I do not support is dangerous.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is it people... Thi si the only bill they need to pass to seal the deal.

Everyone FLAG this thread so it gets more attention.

We shoul have five or six threads on this bill, and we need to have a plan on how we are going to stop it.

If this bill becomes law... Say goodbye to the country as we know it.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by shrike071

Agreed, our governing bodies are supposed to be BY the people FOR the people, and this is a crystal clear indicator that it has ceased to be that at all. Nothing should be mandatory in this country, with exception of taxes here and there that keep our national and state governments afloat and provide us with safe infrastructures and things of that nature. We pay taxes for a reason, the government is supposed to be there to implement policies that are in the best interest of and supported by the people, NOT policies that make things easier for the government to control us.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here's how I see it, community service is what you get for commiting a minor crime, unless you are volunteering your services to the community, for instance Meals on Wheels or something.

Big difference between mandatory and volunteer.

Can ya'll save me a bed too???

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by opal13

Yep i got your back, i'll probably be in there early so i'll even bring a couple extra pillows for my friends here

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Sounds good. Maybe if we just check in early, we can pick the comfiest of cots, move them around to one side and just have a little ATS corner.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by opal13

Unless they blow our freakin' brains out first

We're probably all on a list just for voicing these kinds of concerns.
I'm glad that I have no plans to travel abroad in the recent future, as i'll probably find myself being sent to some effin' camp.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by mpriebe81]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Hey don't you worry, I'll volunteer to come around and bring you your gruel and biscuits and whatever right wing anti Obama literature I can scrounge up to keep you informed...... It's what Marines do,volunteer to serve the country. A lot of people are just along for the ride.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

Lol, hey thanks buddy!!!
I can't wait for that gruel, I hear they have little chunks of banana and strawberry if you're REAL good and do your homework for the day!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It's a bit early to tell how it will come out.

I imagine that rather than making it mandatory across the board, they'll identify publically benefited demographics who could easily have it enforced on them and likely have the time to comply if pressured sufficiently, and tie it to some kind of aid they get.

It'll probably translate into minimal community service hours- I'm guessing 2-5 a week) required for highschool students, students on federal student aid, people on long term assistance, and maybe even partially disabled veterans and retirees receiving social security (considering the insurance thing...), and of course they'll slip prison labor throught he back door too.

The thing they may or may not be willing to accept is that they'll never get anywhere with it- the minute they do something productive they will get sued by whoever used to get paid to do that work. They'll be lucky if they even manage to paint over gang tagging in some cities. You could certainly argue that it's almost certain to either be vastly scaled down for reasons of cost and still be an embarrassment, or else get canceled outright after the study- but that assumes both that they won't find a way to make it work and won't notice the risks.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

Why, thank you. It's appreciated!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
"VOLUNTARY".....

Is a real bad word in some parts of the world. I remember when i was little in Cuba and what the word voluntary meant. They (the government) would round up people and take them to cut sugar cane in the heat and powerful sun for days at a time. Should you not PARTICIPATE, they would find you and the penalty was anything from execution to hard time at the local prison.

I know, my father had to volunteer.

This is the single word that signifies: COMMUNISM. I have to add that another KEY word you should all look out for, and i think its already been thrown around, is the word BRIGADES.

God help us.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I see it possibly happening the same as you do. I read a book about modern Japanese culture and every one than can work has a job. There are no automatic elevators but elevator operators. There are people with a broom and a dustpan to keep a section of side walk clean and give people directions. there were other jobs of that sort but it was awhile back since I read the book.... They don't have welfare or inner city ghettos and every one has a purpose and a place to go to on work days.... I think that this will be mandatory for people at risk of becoming dependent on welfare programs, criminal activity, or possibly chronic psychiatric cases..... There are people that want to serve their country and mankind that could volunteer that would be capable of overseeing and supervising the ones that will require that kind of attention. A program like this could do a lot of good if it is done correctly..... The neo cons would rather see Obama fail than do something positive even if the failure drastically hurts the country, I am afraid.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Here is the thing you are forgetting.

If everybody has "community service" on their resume it becomes the "norm" Everybody is going to have the same contacts, which means the contacts pick and choose who they want to succeed.

In other words. What exactly is anybody getting out of this when everybody has it on their resume. Not to mention if you are lucky you will have to "volunteer" to collect your SS check when you get to that point.

Not so peachy is it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join