It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing unveils upgraded F-15 Silent Eagle with fifth-generation features

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Boeing today unveiled a new F-15 prototype aimed at the international market with such "fifth-generation" add-ons as radar absorbent coatings, internal weapons carriage and integrated digital avionics, plus featuring a distinctive V-tail.

Improving the fourth generation fighter’s profile on air-to-air radar is Boeing’s key goal for the F-15SE, which the company plans to offer to five foreign countries with an estimated market for 190 orders.

whilst not directly going after the F-35 market - the `air to air` stealth feature set can quite quickly be increased to air to ground feature set i feel.

edit:

more pictures

www.flightglobal.com...

[edit on 17/3/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If the USAF cannot get more F-22's, and if the F-35 buy is fixed, or even reduced, then they might as well order new F-15's to replace the outdated airframes and capability.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Erm, didn't the USAF just decide to phase out the f-15?

US_Air_Force_to_Ground_Entire_F_15_Fleet

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
If the USAF cannot get more F-22's, and if the F-35 buy is fixed, or even reduced, then they might as well order new F-15's to replace the outdated airframes and capability.

At $100m an airframe, the F-15SE is not that much cheaper than an F-22, so I don't see that happening.

The F-35 is, supposedly, in a different market.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

I know, it's a dream, but I'm willing to grasp at straws trying to prevent the camel's back from falling through. Still, you're right, with politicians who think anything not relevant to Afghanistan is crap, it's hard to picture an adequately equipped USAF.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well that is a neat looking machine right there!

Slanted tail-fins, internal weapon bay's and propably full glass cockpit from F-22 equals some hard core plane!

Got some questions though:

1: Are the specs upgraded? (longer range, higher speed etc...)

2: Does it have TVC? (if yes: 2D or 3D?)

3: How likely is it gonna be bought by other nations?

for the rest: Potential SU-27/30 killer/rapist.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I know, it's a dream, but I'm willing to grasp at straws trying to prevent the camel's back from falling through. Still, you're right, with politicians who think anything not relevant to Afghanistan is crap, it's hard to picture an adequately equipped USAF.

Well, the problem is is that with the combined might of the US and UK forces, with the backing of several other NATO nations, Afghanistan has still to be pacified.

We are learning today what the Soviets learnt in the 1980s - Afghanistan is not a peaceful country, especially when there are people there who don't like you being there.

Thats why Afghanistan is the prime expenditure, get the job done at all cost!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
At 100million/plane, doesn't it make sense to buy 100 1 Million dollar drones instead. Seems to me you would get more bang for your buck that way. Also, when are they going to get off this airframe? The f-22 out performs our pilots abilities as it stands. It's time to release some of that black tech about now.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

We are not willing to commit all essential forces in order to get Afghanistan under control. I know that's an oversimplified version of things, however, it is one of the main reasons for the lawlessness.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

We are not willing to commit all essential forces in order to get Afghanistan under control. I know that's an oversimplified version of things, however, it is one of the main reasons for the lawlessness.

I think its deeper than that - you *cant* commit whats needed, because the readiness of your military is mainly on paper and not in reality.

The UK is in the same boat - we cant commit any more than we already have, because our troops already serve multiple 6 month tours, sometimes back to back, and we are rapidly losing experienced troops because of it as they dont want to spent 18 months to 2 years away from their family in quick succession.

The equipment is in a state of disarray and overuse, and the funding isnt there to rectify it.

Its not good.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

I don't get it. What do military expenditures have to do with the lawlessness of the Justice Department? Not to mention their local minions.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Check out the head-on picture from the link in the article, you could almost call it an F-18

Originally posted by James R. Hawkwood
1: Are the specs upgraded? (longer range, higher speed etc...)

Improving the fourth generation fighter’s profile on air-to-air radar is Boeing’s key goal for the F-15SE

Sounds like this biggest difference will be in the aerodynamics, caused by the internally-carried weaponry cleaning off the wings. Though I doubt it's a huge difference since missiles and whatnot are designed to be reasonably aerodynamic anyway and the mass is still there. As well, could be marginally better roll rates as missile mass is located closer to the longitudinal axis of the plane. Hard to say just how much, though.

2: Does it have TVC? (if yes: 2D or 3D?)

No. That'd be a huge modification on the F-15's entire ass structure for 2D, and I don't think Americans have any mass-production designs for any 3D TVC at this time. I'm still doubtful about asynchronous 2D on future American aircraft as well.

3: How likely is it gonna be bought by other nations?

IMO I suspect that it faces slim chances. It has stiff competition from the F-35, and it seems that the F-15SE's only real advantage is the long list of people waiting for their F-35's to come off the line. Countries who don't feel like waiting for the F-35 might jump ship for the F-15SE, but I don't see very many doing that. If it really comes down to someone wanting to dump the F-35 for other alternatives they would probably look to Europe or even Russia.

for the rest: Potential SU-27/30 killer/rapist.

That may be selling newer Flankers short. If anything, Su-30 (MK plus variants) and Su-35BM are probably going to be competing for the same market space as the F-15SE. Except that Su-30's are already available, and the Su-35BM will still probably come out first for production. Could put some pressure on Boeing if they can't produce a significantly superior product.

Another factor that will reflect on the F-15SE is the rise of 5th generation jets. When the F-15SE finally gets introduced into services around the world (assuming purchase and use) it will be doing so basically in the shadow of 5th generation jets such as the F-35 and the F-22. As well it will face stiff competition as PAK-FA, FGFA, ATD-X, and KFX enter into their own respective services. With the flow of 5th generation technology within those countries (and quite possibly others if the American taboo of selling 5th generation technology doesn't stick elsewhere) the F-15SE will likely become outclassed. And, by the sounds of some of these projects, that time may not be too far away.

Just my thoughts.
Pr0

PS.

To be fair, Boeing acknowledges the F-15SE’s stealth improvements do not help against ground-based radar systems, which are critical for waging offensive strikes against opponents armed with surface to air missile systems.

Interesting choice for a company whose best customer's business is stomping on countries with nothing but land-based air defenses.

Now I'm really done.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Boeing has made no secret in the past that its targeting the F-35. Its offering the F/A-18 Hornet at really reduced prices and if they can get the unit cost down on this one, it too has a chance to put a dent in the JSF sales.

Also the retrofit angle may serve to have operators of the F-15E delay JSF purchases if they can do the upgrade. If its in kit form so it can be done locally it will be gravy IMHO

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Your article is from 2007. They grounded them to do longeron inspections after one broke apart during ACM training.

They need to do SOMETHING about the fighter fleet. The USAF has ignored the national defense mission for the Middle East problem. We're facing the grounding of as many as 14-16 of the 18 bases that are responsible for the air defense mission in the United States by 2015.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Its all irrelevant from what I hear, you throw some magnets on some Varks and you have a world beater

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Looks nice. Put the F110-132 on it, with LOAN and I wonder if it will supercruise, with or without the CFT's removed. If USAF cannot get the full 361 F-22s' maybe this could be a substitute - well I hope so, I love the Eagle.

[edit on 18/3/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yeah, but if we were really serious we'd put magnets, cloaking devices, and passive radar on them, and we'd REALLY be a world beater.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON, March 17 (Reuters) - Boeing Co (BA.N) unveiled on Tuesday a new multi-role design of its F-15 combat aircraft that would vie for international orders against Lockheed Martin Corp's (LMT.N) F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

and

Paul Lewis, a Boeing spokesman, said the projected price was roughly $100 million per copy, including pilot training, spares and support equipment.

By contrast, the F-35 is expected to cost in the upper $60 million range in adjusted 2014 dollars, when full production is due to start, Lockheed Martin spokesman Chris Geisel said in a Feb. 26 emailed statement.

well 2 things - the MSM are saying its competition for the F-35 , no surprise there but the $100 million looks like the `fight` package , with everything neded to take it to war - the F-35 figure , as quoted by lockmart has allways been a fresh from the factory without engine price.

and i`ve allways said the real world price of the F-35 far higher and way above the rest when you make an apples to apples comparision and factor in everything to fight the plane - which lockmart do not want you to do.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Yeah they should make more F-15's.
They are excellent machines.
Raptor, since looking at the Typhoon

Really, they should make some better F-15's.
Typhoon kicks everything's butt.
It lacks on stealth but how you gonna chase it doing loop the loops

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

It lacks on stealth but how you gonna chase it doing loop the loops

With an R-77.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join