It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire's 10th Amendment Rally: 'Armed but Peaceful'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

New Hampshire's 10th Amendment Rally: 'Armed but Peaceful'

www.humanevents.com

In the state whose motto, “Live Free or Die,” often reads as an outdated symbol of colonial outrage toward British atrocities, free men and women rallied around the New Hampshire State House on March 4, in support of that state’s 10th Amendment resolution (HCR 6), calling for the federal government to recognize and remain within its Constitutional bounds.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Many of the free men and women who rallied in New Hampshire on March 4 did so with a pistol on their hip. That’s right: they were armed but peaceful. In support of the 10th Amendment they exercised their First Amendment right “peaceably to assemble” and “to petition the government for a redress of grievances.” And per the Second Amendment they exercised their right to keep and bear arms, which for free men, “shall not be infringed.” (You just can’t do these things in France.)

Free men are not like others. They ask not what their government can do for them but what they can do for themselves without government interference. They recognize the value of a central government when its powers are limited, but understand the danger when its powers are unchecked.

This second quote is classic! (bolded for emphasis)

www.humanevents.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-3-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

[edit on 17-3-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The bolded quote is indeed a classic and if we get out of this should be remembered.

I've been trying to advocate to my Political Science teachers that there should be a more effective way of states imposing a Check/Balance on the Federal level of government (I've even got it outlined in my head on how it would work) and be a regulator to keep it in line with the state's needs/wants. The Council of State Governors wouldn't be as active as Congress but would be a voice for them in Washington and should 2 states pick up an issue with the Federal Government convey that issue to all states for consideration. Then if 30 states vote (vote being the governor and/or 1/3 of their congressional delegation) that that policy is wrong then it would be stricken from the record. The balance is that the Federal government could overrule but only with a 3/4 agreement in both Chambers of Congress and at least 3 Supreme Court Judges signing off on the measure. This is only a rough draft of a fourth branch, but its only theoretical anyway

The government needs to go back to being from the bottom up as far as policy instead of the top down we have now.

All the more response I get for these is that I'm an idiot, from both my classmates and the teacher. When I ask them what ideas they have though to help fix the system they shut up pretty fast though.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Can't help but wonder what would have happened if the US Government had tried to take the guns off the people.
I wonder how far the Police or even the Army would have gone if told to do so by those scared of losing power?. ( if at all?)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
They'd likely either stop trying (and likely turn around and join them) when people start refusing to give up their guns and start using them on them or would isolate those areas with the highest concentrations of gun owners and starve them into submission.

Although I'm not sure how the Nazis did it in WWII it would probably be a good idea to look into how they did it, since that would be a way of trying to predict what would likely be done if such an order were to be given.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Pics from said rally

www.city-data.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Something tells me that the riot police will not be showing up to any armed protests. Night sticks, pepper spray and tear gas are no match for 9mm, .45 and .357. Looks like a sure fire way to ensure that demonstrations stay peaceful and do not get broken up.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Pics from said rally

www.city-data.com...

I like the sign saying "I plead the 10th!"
Not a very large crowd though.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I

I like the sign saying "I plead the 10th!"
Not a very large crowd though.

My favorite was "U.S. out of NH" as in "U.S. out of U.N."

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As far as I can tell from following this, the 10th Amendment Resolution,
(HCR-6) was killed, was it not ?

Or are they still protesting the defeat of the resolution ?

(Looks like a lot of people to me considering it's N.H., and cold, and snowy)

(Like the hat worn by that guy in the last pic !)

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SIEGE

It was defeated shortly after this rally though protests have been ongoing since its defeat. People are pretty pissed about it being defeated especially since the resolution was "non-binding" meaning should it have passed those opposed had absolutely nothing to worry about.

I dont expect many of those who voted it around to survive the next election cycle.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I have to respect how some are not afraid to stand up to big government.

The others, well I hope they do lose out in the next election.

(BTW . .I was in Laconia last July, for a class reunion. Still have a close
friend that lives there. It was beautiful. I miss it. )

Take care.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
New Hampshire and Vermont are really special states, traditional, local politic, still mean something in these two states. These people are very very independent and down to earth, no nonsense folks. The one time I've been invited to a New Hampshire town meeting I was astounded to actually see the local spending bill for that upcoming year. Not only was it east to understand, and justify, but everyone had a say in the process; remarkable.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by WestPoint23]

top topics

join