It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 358
<< 355  356  357    359  360  361 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

BIAD IS old... too old at times and if I catch the litlle b*&$!?"*£rd that sneaks
into my bedroom and dyes my hair grey, I'll kick their ass!
That's if my dodgy-knee allows

Vikings were something of a specialty in the days of my wild and reckless youth.
As a matter of fact, in one of my posts I mentioned how a "the spirits will not be
denied" when neno was fighting against sleep to avoid another dream
confrontation with Dead Margot.

You need to speak to an ATSer called Raud.
His father carves the Rune stones that decorate his land and Raud is an
'out-doorsy' guy like yer'self.

I haven't spoken to him in a 'BIAD's age' but I think he's still around.

edit on 27-5-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

This is everything that came in the pack.

Which ones were you saying I should make sure and get?

Thanks

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I don't see it there - it's the "Photoshop Bridge". I had to go shuffling through files and paper and more than one dust bunny to find my copy, and evidently it doesn't come with the package download. Search for "Photoshop bridge" at Daz and see if it's still available in the freebies - it might not be.

To make matters more confusing mine is in a folder with the "3D Bridge" Which I DO see listed there, and I don't know what their relation is. Confusion abounds!

ETA: I found it here. It says $199.00 there, but if you go here you'll see that it's a free download right now.

The page has caveats: It won't work in 64 bit Photoshop if that's what you have. It works with CS4 and higher. It requires Photoshop 7 or higher.

It appears that you already have it, listed in that screencap as "DS4_3DBridge_1,0.11.47_Win...". There are 2 files, one is probably for 64 bit DS4 and the other for 32 bit. Both probably only work with 32 bit Photoshop. If you have a 32 bit operating system, you're in luck, but if you have a 64 bit OS, you'll need to check to see which sort of Photoshop you have installed to see if you'll waste your time installing this plugin.

The "GoZ" plugin is to bridge Daz with ZBrush, If you don't have ZBrush (I don't) don't worry with installing it.

The first page I linked to above gives more particulars on this plugin as far as what you can do with it, but it looks like you've got the right one.

edit on 2012/5/27 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Lovely video and music...a fine overture. Aww...how heroic of them.

It took me back to Scotland, too....my maternal grandfather was a bairn of the McLaren clan...my mother got very much into the story of it all. I was finally able to go there in 2000, for a honeymoon trip (the only good thing that came from that disaster of a marriage). We flew into Manchester, then hopped a train heading north. We stopped in Penrith, in the English Lakes District, and met a lovely couple who were running a B&B.

We stayed with them, and even had a champagne breakfast with them on their private terrace before we headed onward. We went up to Fort William, then to Glenfinnan (partly Highlander fan-tour, and also heritage visit: McLaren is a name on the Monument there as Jacobite supporters), and on to Mallaig.

I'll never forget sitting on top of a moor there, looking out over the sea, nearly midnight and the sky was twilit in lavender and pink mists, with a view of the islands. We took the ferry the next morning to Armadale on the Isle of Skye (I think it was -- can't find my pics at the moment)....that was as far north as we got. From there we made our way to Stirling, via Doune (the castle from which cows were once flung at King Arthur and his "K-niggits" by some French blokes)....

but the highlands are enchanting. Mom and I both subscribe to Scottish Life (mag)..and in the last issue there is an article about North Uist, with a picture of an ancient croft on the beach, isolated and serene...she felt an overwhelming sense of "that's it! That's where I lived!"...interesting. She always has longed to go there, to be there, to live there...I share that genetic memory or whatever it is.

Anyway, I, too am in love with things Scot, and appreciate the video and the music. Soul-stirring.

Congratulations on the crew's survival, and here's to Skinny and Squibbs!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Glenfinnan is REAL?

Next thing you know, you'll be trying to convince us the brand of scotch he ordered in the bar is a real one, too!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I too love Scotland and it isn't too-far from my home!
A long time ago, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I spent a week up there among the
moorland and the peat-darkened lochs.
(Oh here-we-go, with the atmospheric words!)

Staying overnight in a B&B near Inverness, I was sitting on the bed in
this narrow-dim room and as I read my newly-acquired book on The Beastie
In The Loch, I could hear a baby crying far-off in another room.

My girlfriend -30 years ago... gosh how it flies!, my girlfriend busied herself with
unpacking and rearranging contents of the luggage and we chatted about where
we were going to eat that evening.

Then a door creaked open somewhere and slow-methodical footsteps could be
heard walking along a corridor somewhere in the old mansion that now made
money by taking in strangers.
The baby continued to cry and the footseps kept coming... closer, closer and then
a door creaked again.
Suddenly the baby's cries stopped, no sounds except my 'arm-candy' muttering
about why I hadn't packed enough socks.
A door creeeaaaked open again and the steady footfalls were heard once more,
but no sound from the youngster.

The next morning at breakfast, I scanned the room in a 'Who-Done-it' Detective way
and saw that there was no family with a baby and no high-chair waiting anywhere.
BIAD urged me to whip my pipe and deerstalker hat -out, but I realised if I was to
continue a relationship with the girl in front of me, BIAD's wishes would have to ignored.

We drove away from Inverness and slowly made our way to the Eastern side of Scotland
and it's gorgeous coastlines.
The case of the crying baby was never solved and I never got to show my magnifying-glass
to anyone.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Glenfinnan is REAL?

It is!! A charming place, too. The peat-bog we walked (sloshed) through was another unforgettable memory...
and the train going there goes over an aquaduct that would blow any engineer's mind.www.virtualscotland.co.uk...
now, as for the scotch...you mean the one Adam ordered in the Swamp? Or one that the Highlander drank??

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

*squeals* OOoooohh...goose-flesh time!
Very cool. Ghosts are awesome phenoms, eh?

sorry about the magnifying glass. Your gal did eventually get to see it, though, right?
Now I have a mental image of you and BIAD together at the keyboard...you with your Holmes props, and him with...well, himself. No props required.

Has anyone got any ideas for Cecilia's landing? I'm stuck on how Dag could have been alerted to the Deson Fighter's dilemma. The only idea I had was somehow the tumbler's radar spotted the damaged fighter...or Margo in the Starwolf hails them after hearing a distress call...??

Also was thinking about whatever 'hit' the Fighter. A shot from the planet? A passing ship? Maybe Wild has some kind of fancy mirror/beam contraption she sends out occasionally to signal passing ships. Or there is a planet wide network of loners or small groups that communicate using such signals (kinda like smoke signals, but spotlight beams).

Also, maybe there is a valuable resource on K-IV...like, Moissanite...a gem that comes from meteors, and is just as hard and brilliant as diamonds.

Mineral moissanite was discovered by Henri Moissan while examining rock samples from a meteor crater located in Canyon Diablo, Arizona, in 1893. At first, he mistakenly identified the crystals as diamonds, but in 1904 he identified the crystals as silicon carbide.[5][6] The mineral form of silicon carbide was named moissanite in honor of Moissan later on in his life. The discovery in the Canyon Diablo meteorite and other places was challenged for a long time as carborundum contamination from human abrasive tools.[7]

Geological occurrence

Until the 1950s no other source, apart from meteorites, had been encountered. Later moissanite was found as inclusion in kimberlite from a diamond mine in Yakutia in 1959, and in the Green River Formation in Wyoming in 1958.[8] The existence of moissanite in nature was questioned even in 1986 by Charles Milton, an American geologist.[9]

Moissanite, in its natural form, is very rare. It has only been discovered in a small variety of places from upper mantle rock to meteorites. Discoveries have shown that moissanite occurs naturally as inclusions in diamonds, xenoliths, and ultramafic rocks such as kimberlite and lamproite.[7] They have also been identified in carbonaceous chondrite meteorites as presolar grains.[10]
en.wikipedia.org...
heh. Yep, I own a 2-carat rock of it...wedding band. No blood diamonds for me!

but her mission was to get Sslar to the surface, and she's been excited about the new old Ship that's in R&D right now...
I was musing that Cecilia might land nearer the city where Wild is, she spots it, then goes out to investigate, and they tell her where they're headed...she is suspicious but somehow they get her to help.

Heck, she might even be one of the House colonists...sent to K-IV as a "mission" for their witchy sisterhood.....and therefore connected to Mucklebones and Dag through that affiliation.

I'm wondering, too, if Wild saw the Fighter explode (through those fancy goggles that I thought BIAD would like)...

anyway, they meet up with her, some drama ensues with explanations and discussion...and then they all climb aboard this train,
which is the only safe way into the swamp and to Neno's location (does it have a name yet?) The tracks may have been compromised, however....*yikes*

edit on 27-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
...and if not some kind of reflective beam signal....perhaps they use carrier pigeons, or falcons, or bats, or...fireflies?

and btw....WHY ARE THERE FIREFLIES IN MY YARD IN MAY??
and crickets singing at night?
and a neighborhood lady selling fresh home-grown PEACHES already from her driveway make-shift fruit/veg stand...
???????????
It's rather unnerving to think that the climate this year is so far off-kilter...the whole ecosystem is changed.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
another idea for use on Khalamzadar-IV's isolated cities...
bat and pigeon bombs!

Top Secret WWII Bat and Bird Bomber Program

using 'very large numbers of bats, each carrying a small incendiary time bomb. The bats would be released at night from airplanes, preferably at high altitudes and the incendiaries would be timed to ignite after the bats had descended to low altitudes and taken shelter for the day. Since bats often roost in buildings, they could be released over settled areas with a good expectation that a large percentage would be roosting in buildings or other inflammable installations…when the incendiary material was ignited.'

Griffin summarized his memo by saying that, although 'this proposal seems bizarre and visionary at first glance…extensive experience with experimental biology convinces the writer that if executed competently it would have every chance of success.' He recommended an investigation 'with all possible speed, accuracy and efficiency' by the U.S. Army Air Forces. Bomb development was passed on to the Army Chemical Warfare Service.

Adams and a team of naturalists were immediately authorized to find bats for experimentation.

this bit about the pigeons:

Other experiments followed to test the birds' psychological fitness for battle. Target pistols were fired only a few inches from a bird's head. The pigeons didn't miss a peck, didn't even look up. Other extremely loud noises were introduced. Again, the pigeons stayed at their task. Skinner also put the pigeons in a pressure chamber, setting the altitude at 10,000 feet. They were also whirled around in a centrifuge, put on pure oxygen and exposed to bright flashes, simulating shell bursts. High vibrations were also introduced, and the birds were subjected to massive G forces without harmful effects.

Following the success of those experiments, pigeons were placed in three, five and seven tandem positions in a missile to see whether, if one or more birds became obstinate or lazy, the majority could override any incorrect signals and keep the missile on course. The final test was to see whether a male pigeon placed alongside a female would abandon his task or vice versa. Once more, the birds' dedication to the mission was paramount. They pecked away at the target; hunger overcame any other desires. Skinner also learned that pigeons were seemingly fearless when feeding on hemp seed. They worked faster when it was used in place of the standard grain

Psychological fitness tests? REallY?!! I wonder how they fared when their missiles exploded? No biggie?

These ideas make me literally NAUSEATED....and ANGRY....
but, they might be of use in developing the planet's history and legacy of the inhabitants.

Fortunately, however:

Although bats and pigeons were never used to bomb enemy targets, the test results show that they could have.
Whew.

It is interesting to speculate what the results might have been if they had actually gone to war.

Yes, it is. Hence, I here present it for speculation related to "steampunk" style cities on Khalamzadar-IV.

In fact, maybe they were what hit the Fighter? Who knows. Ghaa. I feel like I'm off the leash here...neno....?? Thoughts? Am I getting too far out there, and derailing your planetary excursion idea? I can move it off to another planet if so...
but I'm kinda liking it, wherever it actually is. Not necessarily on K-IV at all....just tossing out ideas.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I just realised I rushed it!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hey team...
I'm working up the Dag exit....please be patient with me. Silo's not the only one weeping!!

Putting it together....brain fuse explosion....gonna be as dramatic as I can possibly make it. I'll leave it to you all to let me know how I did....but please give me a few days to get the scene together. I'll be happy to post it here first for approval...
music video included.

just wanted to heads-up everybody.

Memorial Day weekend here in the US....remembering our dearly departed....an emotional one for me since my dad passed, not to mention all the other losses in my life. Nevertheless, an all-by-myself dance party with ale and music does tend to loosen the muse's lips.

Thanks to all of you for being here for my various catharsisses...catharsism? Catharsum? No. Catharsi, gotta be. One catharsis won't do....
Anyway, uh, thanks for this thread and you companions here, and ATS, for a place to unload it!
Virtual group hug...
And here's to Team Yydryl, and one of my most beloved pastimes. It's an honor to be here.

Wait! Wait, I got it: CATHARSES! YYessssss.....*high fives everyone*

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I'll leave it to you all to let me know how I did....but please give me a few days to get the scene together.

I'll get another clean hanky ready! Good luck and... I hope she can get word to Adam before hand - might as well make it a real weeeeepy one! LOL!

peace

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Glenfinnan is REAL?

It is!! A charming place, too. The peat-bog we walked (sloshed) through was another unforgettable memory...

The only peat bog I've ever cruised was in Ohio. It was "springy" - the "ground" seemed to move in waves with each step. Thoroughly disconcerting.

now, as for the scotch...you mean the one Adam ordered in the Swamp? Or one that the Highlander drank??

No, the one McCloud ordered in the bar - "Glamorangie" or something like that. I don't know much about scotch - I tended towards bourbon, rum, and "white liquor" back when I was a drinking man.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

sorry about the magnifying glass. Your gal did eventually get to see it, though, right?

Mine got to see MY magnifying glass. I had to draw the line when she asked for a pair of tweezers, too. I dunno WHAT that gal was up to!

Also was thinking about whatever 'hit' the Fighter. A shot from the planet? A passing ship? Maybe Wild has some kind of fancy mirror/beam contraption she sends out occasionally to signal passing ships. Or there is a planet wide network of loners or small groups that communicate using such signals (kinda like smoke signals, but spotlight beams

OR... an orbital cannon....

nasty bit of kit, that! if there's one around, it'll have to be... ummm.... "deactivated", deactivation with extreme prejudice would be best...

Also, maybe there is a valuable resource on K-IV...like, Moissanite...a gem that comes from meteors, and is just as hard and brilliant as diamonds.

Could be anything there - it's a whole solar system.

anyway, they meet up with her, some drama ensues with explanations and discussion...and then they all climb aboard this train,
which is the only safe way into the swamp and to Neno's location (does it have a name yet?) The tracks may have been compromised, however....*yikes*

Nope, no name yet - I still can't read Alien! Ask Tibbs - I'm hoping he can read it, since the control labels on that star ship will have to be deciphered, too. It'd be a real ugly thong to hit the "down" button when you meant to hit the "launch" button!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

...and if not some kind of reflective beam signal....perhaps they use carrier pigeons, or falcons, or bats, or...fireflies?

and btw....WHY ARE THERE FIREFLIES IN MY YARD IN MAY??
and crickets singing at night?
and a neighborhood lady selling fresh home-grown PEACHES already from her driveway make-shift fruit/veg stand...
???????????
It's rather unnerving to think that the climate this year is so far off-kilter...the whole ecosystem is changed.

There are bioluminescent life forms there. They look like an odd cross between a dragon fly and an earth worm and a lightning bug. Floppy critters they are, like a worm with dragonfly wings and a tail light.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Psychological fitness tests? REallY?!! I wonder how they fared when their missiles exploded? No biggie?

Was that BF Skinner doing all those wonky experiments?

In fact, maybe they were what hit the Fighter? Who knows. Ghaa. I feel like I'm off the leash here...neno....?? Thoughts? Am I getting too far out there, and derailing your planetary excursion idea? I can move it off to another planet if so...
but I'm kinda liking it, wherever it actually is. Not necessarily on K-IV at all....just tossing out ideas.

Pigeons, bats, and similar organisms need air to fly... well, and there's that little detail about breathing... so they aren't likely to ascend into space and bomb the fighter. There are no pigeons or bats on KZ-4. Those are Earth creatures. There are likely, however other things that fill a similar ecological niche.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

I just realised I rushed it!

I like it! The figure in the scene is just about the right size for comparison, too. As long as Nessie doesn't live in that loch, we may be in business!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

They still call it "Decoration Day" up in them thar hills. it was originally initiated to commemorate Confederate dead after the Civil War. Don't tell the yankees, though - they'd outlaw the holiday, and then all the government workers would have to work that day!

I think I get holiday pay for working into tomorrow. then, after a nap, the "Hatfield and McCoy" 3 night extravaganza you mentioned kicks off on the History Channel at 9 PM.

I may be off the net for a bit shortly. Having disagreements with my ISP. I agreed to 20 buck a month to add in the mobile setup, with "unlimited" internet access, and they're charging me 40 a month instead, which they're pushing up to around 120 a month (just for the mibile thingamabob!), claiming it's for "downloads" on the mobile gizmo. I don't know about you, but that sounds a lot like a limit to me on "unlimited" service, so I told them to jam the whole package if they can't separate the mobile gizzy from the house 'net and take the blasted thing back.

I ain't paying for something I never agreed to pay for.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I agreed to 20 buck a month to add in the mobile setup, with "unlimited" internet access, and they're charging me 40 a month instead, which they're pushing up to around 120 a month (just for the mibile thingamabob!), claiming it's for "downloads" on the mobile gizmo. I don't know about you, but that sounds a lot like a limit to me on "unlimited" service, so I told them to jam the whole package if they can't separate the mobile gizzy from the house 'net and take the blasted thing back.

I ain't paying for something I never agreed to pay for.

YES!!
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!!

Gonna turn on the Hatfields and McCoys now....very grisly gruesome stuff, judging from the preview.

new topics

top topics

<< 355  356  357    359  360  361 >>

join