It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 359
<< 356  357  358    360  361  362 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Also was thinking about whatever 'hit' the Fighter. A shot from the planet?

I understood it was a 'beam' of 'something' from the planet that for whatever reason only effects mechanical/metal things.

I don't know if it will work into the storyline or not but this bean seems to want to save life - end mechanics.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hmmm. Save life and destroy mechanics...

I have to tell you, I'm stumped with how to work Dag dying into the rescue. I've considered every angle I can think of. Such as:

* while Cecilia's on her way down, Dag notices something outside. But she's not a pilot, I've already established that she doesn't know how to fly the thing, she only uploaded the auto-pilot program. She can't do anything about it but warn them verbally. She tries to hot-wire the radio and is electrocuted when the Fighter's radio system melts. This prevents Cecilia from getting infected, but kills Dag.

* There are ejector seats on the Cecilia. She'd be dead before her chair was all the way out of the Tumbler, and everyone else would be compromised.

* Margot appears to her from the ethereal world and tells her "this is your first test" , part of her initiation...that her fellows are all going to die and she has to endure it...so she bails on Margot, even with Mucklbones telling her she must be strong...and tries to stop it? And then she is present with us only as Margot is...in dreams or visions. Dead but not gone. I could live with that one. Walking both sides.....like some of our other strange guests. Teams up with Margot, or with Pandora...to meddle from beyond.
That could work. ^^

* They'd already landed when the Fighter got hit, and heard over Cecilia's freq that there is danger (a la beams), and they happen to be near the source, and Wild. Dag sees the beams fired, and runs to stop it, but gets shot herself. Now we have dead Dag, guilty Wild, hurt Sslar, and Ben, Brittle and Muckles nowhere near neno. Could work, I guess.

* Margo in the Starwolf got through to them, either accidentally or deliberately (which is why neno left her on the Starwolf -- to stay tuned in to such possibilities)..and they know what's going on. Dag drops everyone else off and takes Cecilia back up.

* she TRIES to take Cecilia...and to stop her, one of the others, maybe even Margo, have to kill her themselves. Wow. I'm not writing that, no way.

* one of the Fenris gets her while she's recklessly running around trying to get someone to help her save the Fighter gang. Maybe she ran to Akron after Margo told her where they seemed to have landed. I think it's fairly near where neno and the guys are.

* Mr Jordan is somehow involved, and to stop her from interfering with his master plan and Tibbs' task, he kills her.

* Sslar kills her, trying to prevent her from flipping out and doing something completely stupid.

I could write up any of those, but to be honest, it doesn't feel right. If Wild kills her, then Wild is beholden to the rest of them, and also for destroying the Fighter and Skinny and Squibbs, but that's not really how I wanted our new gal to make her entrance, so I feel it would be compromising her from the get-go. I'll keep it in mind, though.

It seems, then, it needs to be a purely accidental death, a very high-stakes calculated risk that Dag takes, and loses.
Perhaps we should move on...and I'll watch for inspiration to pull it together in a flashback sequence. She can be already dead when we learn what happened...obviously if she died in the attempt and we are now celebrating in the Swamp, she already is.....
or,
she didn't do anything. They saved themselves: Adam and Newman figured out what to do, and Skinny and Squibbs sacrificed themselves, they are the heroes. There's no real reason to have Dag dead, too...and she really was looking forward to being on the planet. I had outlined her next moves and was working up ideas.

It seems it would just be unnecessary gratuitous violence to kill her off. Unless she'd be more handy in the ethereal realm, I'd kind of like to keep her around. Or not. I don't know.

It feels contrived to me, and I'm having doubts about it being anything of quality that's not just sappy melodrama.

Can I say "no, I've thought it over, and I don't want to kill her off just yet using the Fighter's meltdown....but I'll continue to consider it as a possibility as we move forward."...? If that's acceptable, then that is what I would like to do.

edit on 28-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Still musing....after reading over what I just posted, I'd rather keep Dag around as a villain than whack her as a heroine. She'd be fun to write as a bad guy....maybe flipped out over Adam, or something. But she's really kind of busy right now, what with delivering Sslar, about to learn her 'powers' as an initiate in the Sisterhood, learning that Brittle is the one she's supposed to protect (as is neno for Margot, and Tibbs for Mucklebones), and also about to meet up with Wild, the new character.

Plus, she wants to learn to fly.

I was excited about all those things. Perfectly cool with her losing her mind or having a major psychotic break and turning antagonist -- or with her walking both worlds.....but it's just not time yet. I'm not done with her. Can't she stay a while longer? Or would I be disappointing all of y'all....?

For now, I'm going out to whack some brush that is creating a blind spot exiting our driveway -- a real-life death-trap...
but I'll keep thinking about it (like I have a choice, heh!). Oh, and I have to eat something, too. Another inconvenient and immediate need...

Ta

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

* They'd already landed when the Fighter got hit, and heard over Cecilia's freq that there is danger (a la beams), and they happen to be near the source, and Wild. Dag sees the beams fired, and runs to stop it, but gets shot herself. Now we have dead Dag, guilty Wild, hurt Sslar, and Ben, Brittle and Muckles nowhere near neno. Could work, I guess.

Leaning toward going with this one ^^...and the most logical and heroic. None of the in-flight ideas work for me.

Wild has killed their friend and also destroyed the Fighter and Droids...so she is now a POW...sorta...kinda.....
who WILL take them to their friends. And we'll go from there?

Perhaps Dag can reappear from time to time in Brittle's head/dreams only...and once in a while with Margot and even Gert doing totally unrelated things. In a distant time and place and dimension....even another thread altogether.
Would that be acceptable?

(wow...and I thought Gert was the one due for a hazing...turns out the joke's on me!
)

....back to bush-whacking.... Dag is distracting me!

brain cramping.

Cheers all!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

There's really that many ways to die? What as dangerous universe we live it!

There's no real reason to have Dag dead, too...and she really was looking forward to being on the planet. I had outlined her next moves and was working up ideas.

It seems it would just be unnecessary gratuitous violence to kill her off. Unless she'd be more handy in the ethereal realm, I'd kind of like to keep her around. Or not. I don't know.

It feels contrived to me, and I'm having doubts about it being anything of quality that's not just sappy melodrama.

Can I say "no, I've thought it over, and I don't want to kill her off just yet using the Fighter's meltdown....but I'll continue to consider it as a possibility as we move forward."...? If that's acceptable, then that is what I would like to do.

That's a definite possibility. park the character on Khalamzadar as The First Intentional Settler or some such. that way she can rest up, and come into the story as needed later. I'd recommend a more northerly clime as being more comfortable (and potentially less likely to try to eat her), but that would be up to you. Grasslands, open country, farm land, that sort of thing. neno has land he can sell her on the cheap, and for the right price might even throw in a bridge, and the ruined city it sits in!

ETA: I accidentally discovered an arcane and undocumented feature in Terragen that will allow me to edit the textures surfacing the models with a great deal more ease. I'll try and rig up a neno image in a bit to see if it works, but there are possibilities now... Oddly, almost ALL of the features of Terragen are "undocumented", since, like Daz, the documentation is abysmal. It seeme to be geared towards ... explorers and clumsy folks like me who just accidentally stumble across useful stuff in it!

edit on 2012/5/28 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Failure, doom, destruction, fire, sparks, and smoke... lots of smoke...

I got neno all dolled out for rendering in Terragen, but found that the figure was too complex for the software to handle in combination with this computer. It crashed... LOTS.

The biggest it would render are the following examples. Anything larger woud crash and burn.

I tried neno in the forest at the edge of the city first:

Kinda, well, dark and blobby.

Then I took away the trees to reduce the complexity of the scene, but it still wouldn't go any larger without crashing and setting my laptop on fire:

The surfaces are right, the lighting is right, but the detail is abysmal. Back to the drawing board. My butt will NEVER be kicked, by man nor machine, so long as I'm still breathing...

ETA: Worked with the model, eliminated some superfluous thingies on it, reduced file size by half, trying to make the new, improved, streamlined version work...

edit on 2012/5/29 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

park the character on Khalamzadar as The First Intentional Settler or some such. that way she can rest up, and come into the story as needed later. I'd recommend a more northerly clime as being more comfortable (and potentially less likely to try to eat her), but that would be up to you. Grasslands, open country, farm land, that sort of thing. neno has land he can sell her on the cheap, and for the right price might even throw in a bridge, and the ruined city it sits in!

Hmmm. Yes, that could work....I'm concerned that she left without permission, and that she tricked/distracted Adam to do it. Feels bad. Wrong. I can't see her being accepted back with open arms...too many infractions.
And she's not even really a 'crew member' with an official title, is she? More like a hanger-on....involved but not employed.

The more I think back on how she met Adam to begin with, and how she's turned out, the more I wonder what to do with her now. Maybe she has to stay...I can imagine her and neno discussing what should be done, and realizing she has no choice.

I'm pretty lost right now in terms of the whole thing. .... perhaps it's best, in order to keep the story moving, for us to skip ahead to Sslar being back in shape and with neno. You had mentioned her recovery, any new ideas on that front?

I wrote up a draft yesterday that places Cecilia up in that northern city, far from neno & co., which was the result of Dag seeing the Fighter get hit by beams coming from the surface and changing the destination coordinates to go and find the source of the beams. They had reached Margo on the Starwolf and let her know they would be delayed, but have Sslar with them. Was it ever established that neno knows Sslar is on her way?

As far as I knew, only Silo was aware of the mission to get Sslar to him (and of course those in Cecilia now)...Muckles wanted to go after Tibbs...she doesn't even know Sslar is in the cargo hold. (She might, but she might not, as she was in the cockpit when Dag and Brittle arrived, Ben stayed below with Sslar...so actually only the 3 of them know what they've done.)

Has anyone on the ship discovered Sslar is a hologram yet? They went on their disastrous joy ride before anyone mentioned the discovery. I've no idea if Adam has found it out...seems they were on a lunch break, he brought the sandwiches -- possibly without noticing Sslar wasn't...well, wasn't. The settings on the training module were changed from where he left them as the twins took their leave.

Perhaps it would work for the Ship-side people to have a meeting and determine how they are going to deal with the infraction. Dag is persona non grata now, or something like that. She chose to acknowledge Sslar's wishes and go along with Silo's request to help, but there would certainly be consequences of doing such a thing if she were not able to cover it up. Perhaps she's going to have to suffer the worst possible of those consequences.

Bother. Now I'm regretting that she did these things. Seems she's gotta go.

Ack. I want to start building on this Wild character, too.

Not sure how she'd fit in with the group; that's why I suggested she be ether obligated to, or be welcomed. I don't want her to be a villain; more of a neutral party with her own backstory, and however she meets up with them may have nothing at all to do with the Fighter's demise.

*sigh* I have to go out and do hand-to-root combat with poison ivy that looks mutated -- leaves as wide as Catalpas!
I'm exquisitely allergic to it, too.....and no poison will be used; it's at the base of my lilac and deep inside the out-of-control brush that has overtaken the entire corner. I'll check back in later.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I can imagine her and neno discussing what should be done, and realizing she has no choice.

That can be made to work. There's a ranch or farm or something waiting for her up north - all she has to do is carve away all the parts of the planet in that location that don't look like a ranch!

I'm pretty lost right now in terms of the whole thing. .... perhaps it's best, in order to keep the story moving, for us to skip ahead to Sslar being back in shape and with neno. You had mentioned her recovery, any new ideas on that front?

No new ideas, I'll just make it happen when the time comes. That time is not yet here - Carburetor is busy getting an ass-kicking as only BIAD can kick it!

Was it ever established that neno knows Sslar is on her way?

No. So far neno hasn't got a clue that she's on her way. Sslar could notify him telepathically, but even then she has no frame of reference to tell him where on the planet she is.

As far as I knew, only Silo was aware of the mission to get Sslar to him (and of course those in Cecilia now)...Muckles wanted to go after Tibbs...she doesn't even know Sslar is in the cargo hold. (She might, but she might not, as she was in the cockpit when Dag and Brittle arrived, Ben stayed below with Sslar...so actually only the 3 of them know what they've done.)

I count 5, unless I'm miscounting. Silo knows, Dag, Ben, Brittle, and of course Sslar, all know.

Ack. I want to start building on this Wild character, too.

Not sure how she'd fit in with the group; that's why I suggested she be ether obligated to, or be welcomed. I don't want her to be a villain; more of a neutral party with her own backstory, and however she meets up with them may have nothing at all to do with the Fighter's demise.

You can always build the character without any interaction with the crew at all. She's bound to have a back-story that can be developed, and we can throw them together into the mixer any old time.

*sigh* I have to go out and do hand-to-root combat with poison ivy that looks mutated -- leaves as wide as Catalpas!
I'm exquisitely allergic to it, too.....and no poison will be used; it's at the base of my lilac and deep inside the out-of-control brush that has overtaken the entire corner. I'll check back in later.

That's all we need - mutant poison ivy, mutated by the "global climate change". It doesn't affect me (genetic thing - I reckon I must be some kind of mutant, too. My dad and his mother were the same way), but I can see how it could be a problem. If I were you, I'd cut the stems and let the leaves die, grub 'em out later.

With welding gloves.

And possibly a space suit. And decontamination chamber.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

*sigh* I have to go out and do hand-to-root combat with poison ivy that looks mutated --
leaves as wide as Catalpas!
I'm exquisitely allergic to it, too.....and no poison will be used; it's at the base of my
lilac and deep inside the out-of-control brush that has overtaken the entire corner.
I'll check back in later.

This isn't the episode where Neno and BIAD bid for Poison Ivy's arm in an evening's
entertainment, is it? Too many Batman movies, maybe...?
I tried to out-bid him once and to see his 'Neno-Express' credit card appear from
under his hat -is quite a sight.

Never leave The Yydryl without it.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Perhaps it would work for the Ship-side people to have a meeting and determine how they are going to deal with the infraction.

Never been done before and I doubt it will start now. Ship is a family or sorts and always has been. It's not military and it isn't 'You do this and you're bad and you'll get sentenced to keelhauling' - etc.

First time I can ever remember Ship 'meting out' anything in the form of a 'reprimand' is only recently as 'sentencing' Moriah to a stringent flying lesson regime and Security 'helper'. (Some punishment huh, lol)... There just isn't that kind of militarist rule on the Yydryl - anything but. No reason to start now with Dag.

Dag is persona non grata now, or something like that. She chose to acknowledge Sslar's wishes and go along with Silo's request to help, but there would certainly be consequences of doing such a thing if she were not able to cover it up. Perhaps she's going to have to suffer the worst possible of those consequences.

This wouldn't make her an outcast to the Yydryl - this would make her a heroine of sorts. She helped Sslar. It was kept quiet at Sslar's insistence - not Silo's - Silo was just relaying the message.

Bother. Now I'm regretting that she did these things. Seems she's gotta go.

Again - this has done nothing but good - put her in Sslar's debt in a way and I've no doubt Neno would thank her also.

IF - she lives. Your choice and I hope this helps!

peace

edit on 29-5-2012 by silo13 because: bbc

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Uggh. Three hours routing out the poison ivy. Nearly gave me a stroke. Had to get to it first...which meant lots of bush-whacking and very careful treading....but I think I got all the foliage, at least. I can watch for baby invaders now. It is unbelievable how "July" everything looks, not even June yet.....

Have read all of your posts....husband roaring into the driveway now....
see yall tomorra!!

Thanks for the encouragement, btw!

Episode two of "Hatfields and McCoys,,,,,
yikes.
edit on 29-5-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Episode two of "Hatfields and McCoys,,,,,
yikes.

Those events took place just a very few miles to the north east of where MacAllisterburg was sited in the Space Opera. Some of the McCoys lived within spitting distance of "MacAllisterburg".

Kinda gives a new perspective on "The Badlands", don't it?

I'm trying to find out where they filmed that. It sure as shooting LOOKS like it was on-site!

The Phillips's were a pretty rough bunch in the real world, too (i.e. the bounty hunter, "Frank Phillips"). I dated one of the Phillips girls. Yessir, they were and are as rough and bold as the story shows.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I'm surprised at what I found about 'Hatfields & McCoys'
Location...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

That doesn't surprise me. There are places in Romania that look EXACTLY like my home turf, and there are other films that have been shot there to simulate the Appalachians. As a matter of fact, Romania has a booming business in the film industry for that very reason.

The main thing that gave it away that it might NOT be home was the pines. There are pines there, but not THAT many pines. Cedars are far more prevalent, especially right around my home territory.

Otherwise, the terrain is precise. That area has steep hills and ridges. When you get to the top of one and look out at the landscape, it looks like all the ridges are about the same height. They were all cut by water out of what was originally a plateau, so it makes sense that they would all rise to the same height, and the water-cut is the reason for the steep sides. There is a joke around there that you have to lay flat on your back at high noon to see the sun!

Where I lived was exactly on the border between two terrain types - the rugged plateau cut type to the west, and the more traditional "ridge and valley" type to the east. Of the two, the ridge-and-valley terrain is the easiest to traverse. There's not as much "up and down" travel. in the plateau, you have to either follow the water courses, or the ridges, or wear yourself out climbing and descending. You can walk 10 miles and only make 5 miles progress, because the other 5 was vertical.

I had to watch the first episode 3 times before I realized that Tom Berenger was playing the part of Jim Vance. Now THAT is a makeup job!

Timber has become a big business there again in the past 15 years or so, since the coal mines mostly closed. back in the days the movie is portraying, timber was big business, and Coal was not, too. I've seen a photo pf my great, great grand dad standing on a chestnut log timbered out of there that was as far through as he was tall - about 6 feet in diameter. Another of his jobs was "Justice of the Peace", and peace was sometimes hard to find...
He was also at times a school teacher - I've got some of his certificates to teach from the 1880's up through the early 1900's. You did what you had to to make a living, and I come from a long line of "jacks of all trades", interspersed with the occasional horse-thief and wilderness explorer and "long-hunter".

I've actually been considering writing a book about one of them in particular, a fictionalized account of his life and times, since this far removed it becomes hard to separate fact from legend. He's the one I mentioned before that had too many wives. His name was Adam O'Brien.

One other thing that bugs me about the film, and it's just a little thing - they keep referring to the border as "the river". natives there call it "the crick" or "Tug Fork", not "Tug River", because it's a fork of Big Sandy Creek, which was one of the war paths from the Ohio towns into the pioneer settlements during the Indian Wars. It was also the avenue of approach for at least one Yankee incursion into southwest Virginia during the Civil War. "The Sandy Passes" and "The War Passes" are synonymous.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Heh, yeah, History Channel has been proven (by me as a viewer) to be not all that 'historically accurate'. I tried to watch their series about America, and noticed many biased points of view that were not in sync with what I've learned about history.

Your personal history, though, is incredibly rich in this stuff! I'd love to read your fictionalized account....

I wrote a novel based on my own genealogy studies, going back to the English side in the early 17th century. I couldn't find anything about the woman who was one of my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandmothers (to the 13th, I believe)....so I made it up! I know that they came to New England, and eventually wound up in Rhode Island with the 'weirdos' that got kicked out of Massachusetts....
using accurate dating and origin (Clerkenwell north of London, and Saffron Walden in Essex), I wrote the story of how they met, what they were like (the guy was a bit of a rogue; the girl a country innocent).

Used the novel as a vehicle to purge the absolute worst relationship of my life...which had ended not long before, and was incredibly difficult. The scene I wrote where the bad guy gets his due is the one I was going to use for Ben taking Brittle into the holo-theater for a recap of how my hero treated the villain after the latter had nearly raped the heroine. What an a-hole!

Anyhoo, the last few days have been busy, haven't written on the story at all. My mower crapped out with a flat and off-the-wheel blow-out...it was the cheapest riding mower available; can't get a replacement wheel and tire, because the manufacturer is (of course) not making it anymore. So I placed an ad on craigslist, and a guy came to get it today.

Yesterday I was chatting with husband....told him I'd sold the (dead) mower...he said, "so, what. Are we gonna get a couple of sheep to graze the yard?" And I looked at him with an "aha!" face, and it morphed into getting a miniature horse (I can't have the full-sized ones anymore, and was broken-hearted when I had to sell them winter before last)....

I figure it's a GREAT idea .... eco-sound...green mower ---- grass is mowed, no gasoline or fumes, no mowing (which I despise), and I have a horse again!!

Husband thought I was kidding until this morning I sent him some data about how little space they take up, and how small they are, and how inexpensive (compared to a riding mower)....manure for the garden, mowed grass, horse for me to love on, and an animal for our shepherd to 'herd.'

I love it.

Where I live, it's a sort of "do whatever you want as long as the neighbors don't complain" area....you can call the city, and you'll get a variety of answers as to whether or not it's permissable. First call: yes, it's a pet. Second call: interminable phone menu. Third call: an Officer "V" who said: no, you have to have 5 acres.

I'm thinking of going with the first answer. It's worked for me before.....
heh.

Oops, here's Pops roaring in again! ttyl, all!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Your personal history, though, is incredibly rich in this stuff! I'd love to read your fictionalized account....

It's just an accident of birth - not like I had anything to do with any of it, really. The older I get, the more I am convinced that those who actually make history, or witness it, are just either in the right place at the wrong time, the wrong place at the right time, or any of the permutations in between. Stuff just happens, and if any particular person is there to see it or is involved, it's usually just chance, he leaves his report of the event for historians, and moves on and out. my own personal history, relatives, and whatnot are just an accident of fate.

I have enough of the history and legends of Adam O'Brien and another ancestor from about the same time period to use as punctuation marks and sign posts - just enough to create an outline and general map, but all of the rest would have to be imagined and filled in via educated guesswork and logical deduction, thus making it "historical fiction".

Yesterday I was chatting with husband....told him I'd sold the (dead) mower...he said, "so, what. Are we gonna get a couple of sheep to graze the yard?" And I looked at him with an "aha!" face, and it morphed into getting a miniature horse (I can't have the full-sized ones anymore, and was broken-hearted when I had to sell them winter before last)....

I once made a joke to my second wife about getting a couple of goats to "mow" the 3 acres of yard we had. She took me serious and had a fit, and I never heard the end of that one until she died!

I'm thinking of going with the first answer. It's worked for me before.....
heh.

that's the way to go - and cite the first answer, ignoring the rest, if they take exception to it!

It's gotten pretty quiet in the Opera. I've been off discussing religion again, against my better judgement, but it hasn't turned out so contentiously this time. I've been checking in from time to time, but haven't seen so much as a bush rustling in the Opera!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Hello, team Yydryl!

Yes, neno, you're right....seems we've got an intermission going. I apologize for my part in it; I've been distracted, and still fighting the block....but it's not forgotten. I'm one of those writers who can be accused of sitting and doing nothing but staring into space. That's how it looks to others anyway. Between the ears, it's anything but "nothin'."

In fact, as Pops was leaving this morning he kissed my cheek and embellished his 'scenario' of Dag's death a little more...we have discussed options over beers while on the patio in the afternoons. Really surprised me that it was the first thing on his mind! He's a creative guy, to be sure, but not a regular reader of mine (that would be you lot exclusively). I don't think he's read any of the Opera itself, but I keep him posted from time to time on what bizarre circumstances we have going, and the LOLs have to be explained (not because he asks, but because I can't not share it with him!

In any case, it's better than listening to me talk about employment stress and drama...he urged me to quit my last two jobs, which I initially loved -- the work itself wasn't the problem -- but the politics got horrible enough that I was a depressed mess. He tells me I'm much more fun now, and he can see that I'm relaxed and happy and healthier; my mother and kids agree. So, it's all good.

He came home yesterday with all sorts of suggestions about how to tweak the property to accommodate the new mower -- !! [Whose name shall be called "Mower")

Now, back to Dag and Wild.....got to focus....got to focus.....more coffee...focus...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Okay, I've been reviewing the timeline here....
Dag and the guys orchestrated the Sslar disappearance at lunch time. Adam sent the twins to lunch while he had his talk with Dag.

He then appeared at the Fighter with sandwiches...so, it was a lunch-time joy-ride-turned-deadly. Cecilia was already off ship and on her way to KZ-4. How long would the descent take?

How long did they joyfully ride in the Fighter before being hit? Had they finished their sandwiches? Was it two or three hours later?

Here is the tentative "meanwhile back on the Cecilia" scene I wrote. We can use it or dump it....
I won't post it to the Opera until you all give me a
or a
....and I'm hopeful we can together get this thing sewn up!

It was Dag who noticed the beam come slashing out of the distant horizon of the hazy upper atmosphere of Khalamzadar-IV and past them. It was barely discernable, but glowed a ghastly green-yellow with a metallic tint, and so rapid that if she'd blinked, she'd have missed it.

"What was that?" she said, alarmed.

Mucklebones, who had been attempting to doze the flight away, sat bolt upright in her chair. "What were what?" she croaked. She looked over at Dag

"There! There was another one! They're some kind of beams…really pale, like strands of metallic yellow—" she was cut off by an explosion, above and behind Cecilia, that lit the darkness and caused Cecilia's lights to dim. "What the—" She twisted the dial on Cecilia's radio, but all she got was crackling static as she searched the frequencies. "Tumbler to Ship?" she said, keying the mike. "Tumbler to Ship? Do you copy?" No response.

Another beam flashed. She activated the periscope and out of Cecilia's dome popped a small camera on a fiber-optic cable. It swiveled like an ant's antenna while Dag peered into the viewer, and then she saw a second impact. It appeared to be a Fighter. She zoomed in, and saw the Yydryl insignia on its wing. "Oh my," she gasped.

"What? What is it?" asked Mucklebones.

"I don't know, but it's firing at one of the Yydryl's vessels. It looks like a Deson Fighter," said Dag. "And it's been hit." Frantic, she spun the frequency dial again. "Tumbler three to Starwolf," she hailed. "Starwolf, do you read?"

Margo picked up the mike and spoke, "Starwolf," she said. "Go ahead, Tumbler Three. You have Margo here, nenothtu is off board at the moment. Are you ready for our coordinates?"

Dag sighed slightly, glad to have someone respond. "Not yet," she said, "although we do have cargo for your mission. An assault is underway on a nearby vessel, one that appears to be part of the Yydryl fleet. We have no on-board ammunition or weapons, nor can I raise the Yydryl. Are you aware of a Mayday having been sent?"

"Negative," said Margo. "We know the Akron has landed, and nenothtu is en route toward it with Tibbs and BIAD. I can't do much from here. Stand by, I'll see if I can raise the Yydryl."

Dag watched with horror as another beam came slashing out of the haze. This one missed the Fighter. Her heart was pounding in her ribs, her pulse deafening in her ears. She clicked the button on the panel labelled coordinate search, and aimed the scope at where the beam had sliced through the atmosphere. She clicked the button for set and felt Cecilia shift slightly, banking left and heading straight for the spot.

Margo's voice came back on the radio. "No contact," she said. "What do we do?"

"We go find out who is shooting at our vessel," said Dag. "Our arrival at yours will be delayed. Hail me if you learn more. Our destination coordinates are now set for the source of the assault. Over." She hung the mike up. "Now where is that cloaking device switch?" she muttered.

Mucklebones sat with her arms crossed and huffed a big breath out. "Ye think this is a good idea?"

Dag looked at her, and Muckles noted the fear she saw there. "We stole Sslar, and I tricked Adam to do it, I don't know who's on that Fighter, but if it's him, I'm going to do something to try to stop it from being destroyed. At least we know neno's group is safe for now."

"Hmmph," said Muckles.

Cecilia had just broken through the haze and now they could see the planet's surface. "Watch for one of those beams," Dag said. And then, almost directly below them, she saw a tremendous flash and another beam sliced through the air, narrowly missing them. Mucklebones gasped.

Dag checked the console again to ensure 'cloak' was still activated, but it had been a narrow miss. They were on the ground then, in the midst of a ruined city that was obviously not as abandoned as it looked. Dag strapped on her side arm. "Stay here," she said to Mucklebones, and looked at Brittle. "You, too. Stay put. As the only crew member on this vessel, I'll go."

"Suits me," said Muckles. Brittle just grew paler.

Dag descended to the cargo hold.

"We there?" asked Ben. Sslar was now alert.

"Not exactly," said Dag. "But we've landed. I'm going to investigate who is shooting at the Yydryl fleet, and I plan to stop them."

"Whoa," said Ben. "D'ya think we should just send for help?"

"The beams coming from this place have already disabled the Fighter up there," she said. "I'm at least going to introduce myself and find out who is doing the shooting, and why."

"I'll come with ye," said Ben. "If'n it's zombies, ya know…" he trailed off, and grabbed the rifle from its rack. He looked at Sslar and patted her head. "We'll get ye back to neno, girl."

Sslar's tail twitched. She was feeling better, but not up to a walkabout just yet.

edit on 31-5-2012 by wildtimes because: count bypass

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

That bush did rustle and it was BIAD getting caught-short.

I did scold him as I post his latest episode on the thread and also
warned him to check there isn't a highway behind him when he...
well, you know.

Damn Motorway cameras!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Dear BIAD,

OMG! I laughed
x 4, I made an "OH" face
and a wow face
and a fear face (don't know the code), and at the end, an "Oh my lord!" face. (Is there one? Like, hand to mouth in horror?) Wow.

Have a bad day, bud??

Loved it. Fighting is really hard for me to write.....I can imagine it fine, but getting the words, music, and tempo right....you are a master.
Love,
Grasshopper

new topics

top topics

<< 356  357  358    360  361  362 >>

join