It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 357
<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
More questions for you three MacGyver's.

Even though the Deson Fighter is a fighter and not a transport vehicle I would assume there's still a couple of 'space suits' for repair - you know - the ones with the long umbilical like tube that supplies live support etc.

So, if there's two suits aboard the fighter and we need to get... Pip, 7 Girls, Adam, Newman and Silo off? Shouldn't there be some way they can wear the suit - go out into space - and get onto another vehicle? Rinse and repeat?

Or, is the elephant in the living-room as simple as the Deson Fighter returns to Ship, hovers above the flight deck, everyone jumps out and then the fighter flies off and into oblivion?

That might be a pretty simple solution but it would take quite the pilot to 'hover' a fighter in place?

That or WildTimes is going to come up with a great idea using Dag - I'm waiting to hear on that one!

Happy Saturday.
edit on 26-5-2012 by silo13 because: deleted one nub idea

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Here are a few to play with:

One from ground - level, as it would be seen walking up on it rather than flying over it:

and one of the Scout Ship:

ETA: My computer is steam-powered, with a coal-fired boiler, in true Steampunk fashion. The smoke from the stacks fills my office up something fierce, and frequently makes my eyes water!

edit on 2012/5/26 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You're going to need a jet pack or 7, or what NASA calls an "MMU". Jumping off a ship in space is a BAD idea - you just float away into the universe, because there's no gravity to pull you down to the ship. You need personal jets..

Does that fighter have an auto-pilot to fly itself off into the black? Remember - the pilot droid melted!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Does that fighter have an auto-pilot to fly itself off into the black? Remember - the pilot droid melted!

Moriah's going to step in any second and put her very limited training to use - at this point as long as they're flying away from the planet and towards the Yydryl that should give us a few moments.

Thanks for the heads up on the 'no jet pack no party'. I'll check the storage compartment and hope they are jet packs and not just space suits.

*Ideas Forming*

Thank you!
edit on 26-5-2012 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Perhaps there's a docking line of some kind, like when a boat is held in a slip...maybe the fighter has an organic "tether" that stretches out a ways, and if they can snag a corner of Yydryl's wingtip, or perhaps they have a huge magnetic anchor of obsidian that can clamp to Yydryl's hull...

If Moriah can get them just close enough....
then they can use the two space suits without jet-packs and tow themselves in, hand over hand..first one to make it over then rigs up a proper pulley, like second story clothes-lines between buildings...and can either return the one space suit or get others from inside Yydryl...

how they would get inside her is the problem....and how long they have before doom arrives. Gotta have that blinking count-down red digital timer, ya know...or it just ain't suspense!!

but as long as they're all off the Fighter by the time it melts...they can still be towed in.

Course, there's always Gert, who is between jobs right now, and is being penalized for her infractions on Earth...perhaps the Supreme One will task her with the Fighter's passengers' salvation...she is supposed to do Dag's bidding from now on. But also was stripped of her sorcery powers. I'm not even sure what she's going to look like...might be a sylph of a Pleiadean child, for all I know...or a John Coffey linebacker from hell...

Hmm.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I have a confession to make, I have actually been in this situation during a Black-Ops
project aboard the Space Shuttle.
I'm trusting you lot not to say anything... so here goes.

The way out is difficult, but it can be done. Take in a deep-breath, remind yourself not
to look at each other or you'll burst out laughing and ruin it all.
(Puffed-out cheeks tend to make folk giggle) -see NASA pamphlet.

Suck in a breath, open the door and start paddling. I used my laptop as an oar and though
I took alot of flack from my superior, I was the first to make it to the Space Station.
You can have your eyes open... it's not like being in a swimming pool, but you will find it
chilly out there.

So that's how you can do it and my Uncle Uri Gergarin... Yuri Gurgaren... the soviet-guy
He swore by it.
Meds-Time.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The image where the viewer is looking up is the one I'd like to use.
It indicates size.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I like the one that looks like a duck. Quack. Quack quack.

Those Fenris/Fenrir things? Blows my mind how much of this ancient lore you two know about....fascinating.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

*Looks around in no particular direction whistling and muttering - 'glad she said it first'*

Beyond the teasing? One thing I really enjoy is the soooo clean cut on the 3-D that program offers. I've really got to knuckle down and learn it come fall.

Oh, and the duck? Just a trick of the light...

Happy almost Sunday All.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

The image where the viewer is looking up is the one I'd like to use.
It indicates size.

have at it! By now you should know that as soon as i post an image in this thread it's fair game and community property - do with it as you will!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Those Fenris/Fenrir things? Blows my mind how much of this ancient lore you two know about....fascinating.

I can't speak for BIAD, but I'm OLD. Very, very OLD. Much older than I look, and THAT is plenty old enough already. Vikings were something of a specialty in the days of my wild and reckless youth. As a matter of fact, in one of my posts I mentioned how a "the spirits will not be denied" when neno was fighting against sleep to avoid another dream confrontation with Dead Margot. That is another ancient Norse belief - that a sudden and irresistible mid-day weariness and sleepiness (and be honest, who HASN'T experienced that at one time or another?) is an indication that the spirits want to have a word with you - and intend to do so as you sleep.

There are a lot of ancient beliefs like that which seem to have been lost, misplaced or warped out of recognition these days. They, in turn, go back to even earlier days, to a common proto-teutonic core that spread out with the teutonic peoples as they overtook Europe, and were changed slightly (but not unrecognizably so) to suit the individual cultures as they developed. The beliefs themselves are far older than the rifts that produced individual cultures, By the way, I'm including "Celts" in the "Teutonic peoples and cultures", because they are but another branch of the Germanic peoples that split off earlier than most, arising in the area of the Danube - in the Transylvania neighborhood, believe it or not!

Cernunnos and Goibnu/Goban, Epona, Ogmos, ALL of the Celtic and Teutonic pantheon - including Odin, Fenris, the Ulfhednar, ALL of them started out as real people, living, breathing men and women just like you or I, who lived not far from the banks of the Danube.

Fenris is a special case, since he is not obviously human, appearing to be a mad wolf instead. The origin of Fenris/Fenrir is the same as the origin of the belief in werewolves. The very first "werewolf" was a supposed shapeshifter long ago. His name has been transmitted over the ages in one form or another, and he is now only remembered in arcane tomes on Celtic mythology as a shapeshifter god, not very often connected in modern times with werewolves specifically, He is remembered as a "myth", a "god", or an "urban legend" depending on where he is remembered and by whom, but he IS remembered, and was once a mere human being, just like you or I.

He loved, he cried, he fought, he hunted, he bled, he felt pain, and he smelled spring mornings in the alpine meadows of the Carpathians, but after 5000 or 6000 years, no one remembers those things... only his name (or variants) is recalled, and his memory relegated to the realms of "mythology".

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

The Duck boat is a "scout ship" or "shuttle" or something of that nature, depending on who is talking. It's a 4-seater with no cooking or sleeping accommodations. It's strictly for day trips and the like... but it IS armed! it rides around in the big docking bay of the larger ship until needed. I've also been poking around the internet, and found that ship carries wheeled vehicles, too. In the view at the rear of the star ship, there is a big door to the right of the image. Behind that door are some awe inspiring "rovers".

Here is a link to an image by Winchell Chung of one of them disembarking

That vehicle was originally seen in a 1977 film called "Damnation Alley" based on a book by the late Roger Zelazny. I've always loved that thing, with it's "never run flat" tire design - it carries a spare above the two ground wheels - get a flat, just rotate the spare into place and keep going. I don't know what model Mr Chung used. but I found one that is pretty darn close (but not exact) as a Google Sketchup file. It's called a "Landmaster", but is amphibious, and can go through water - even DEEP water like oceans - too. It goes like a boat, with the tri-tire axles performing as paddles.

I think Chung introduced the model for the scout ship, too. It was in the original plastic model, but I've not seen many of the digital models that included it. The one I'm using, made by Paul Lloyd, modified by Atrahasis, and further modified, refined, added to, and perfected by Winchell Chung, DOES include it, with a relatively detailed cabin interior. Entry is through the bottom of the cockpit at the rear of the cockpit. You go through the hatch into an airlock, which cycles to then open into the cockpit cabin. there are 4 seats - one to the right, one to the left, and two forward, each with it's own console for whatever is done at that station.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

*Looks around in no particular direction whistling and muttering - 'glad she said it first'*

Beyond the teasing? One thing I really enjoy is the soooo clean cut on the 3-D that program offers. I've really got to knuckle down and learn it come fall.

Oh, and the duck? Just a trick of the light...

Happy almost Sunday All.

It's maddening trying to get used to it, and learn all the nuances - which I haven't done yet to anything even approaching competence levels. The biggest problem I've had was the less than user-friendly directory structure. I think that structure was designed by rabid, chained apes in a darkened basement dungeon. As soon as I figured out the structure for Daz 3, out comes Daz 4 with an entirely new - but no more comprehensible - directory structure.

I got the professional version of Daz 4, loaded for bear, when they were giving it away for free. I have a LOT to learn, and a lot to RE-LEARN now. It's actually a lot easier for me to import objects that are NOT Daz objects than it is to work with Daz stuff, The downside is that the external objects are not "rigged" for posing. There is supposed to be some way to rig them, but I'm not finding it... Anyhow, the only part of the Star Ship that really stands in need of "posing" is the hangar bay doors - either open or closed. The rest is pretty static.

By "clean cut", I presume you mean the outlines to merge it into other pictures. That png output option really shines for that, as long as you can get the lighting directions matched fairly closely. The other best option, and one that matches the lighting up precisely, is to set everything up in Daz, then export it as an obj file, then import that obj file into whatever software (ex. - Terragen) you are using to make the scene. I would have preferred that method for the Starwolf and neno pictures on landscaped backgrounds, but ran into problems with the texturing in Terragen. The system for re-applying textures that didn't import leaves a LOT to be desired. It took me around 12 hours to get the textures on all the plants fixed and saved for Terragen, and anything with very many textures leaves teeny tiny targets to try to hit to bring up the texturing dialog.

There has to be a better way. If they would include the texturing dialog option in the "object" pane on the left of the program, it would be vastly easier and more usable. As it stands, the only way to get to it is in a maddening pane on the right that is supposed to enhance the "versatility" of the program, but which is in reality as useless as boobs on a crowbar for anything of any complexity at all. The more complex the scene, the tinier the targets get, until you reach a point where you have to hit a single screen pixel to get anything done, and have the GUESS which pixel it is at that, because the labels are too tiny to read.

ARRRGH! Fighting through challenges is the only thing that keeps me going!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This ATS thread has a lot of bearing on the Space Opera at the moment, and the exploration of the abandoned cities on Khalamzadar 4.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I got the professional version of Daz 4, loaded for bear, when they were giving it away for free. I have a LOT to learn, and a lot to RE-LEARN now. It's actually a lot easier for me to import objects that are NOT Daz objects than it is to work with Daz stuff, The downside is that the external objects are not "rigged" for posing.

Yes, I remember, and you were kind enough to post all the info here like a gift and I was a complete turd and never took the time to load it all up. I admit I was having computer probs at the time as you might (or not, lol) remember, but still I'm still a big stinker over that.

Remember - if you want something done in PS I'd be more than happy to help if I can. As I'm sure you know we learn every time we do - so I always appreciate the challenges.

Happy Sunday

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I got bored this evening, and decided to see if I could stare down Photoshop, or if it would stare ME down once again. I installed the Lunar Cell plugin into Photoshop, since I already knew how to use it in Paint Shop. I had just a wee bit of trouble relating to the color depth of the image (Lunar Cell only works up to 16 bit, and I had it set at 32 bit), but once I got that figured out, it produced this:

I didn't tinker with the settings - I just wanted to see if the plugin would work. it was made for PS, but works in Paint Shop too.

That is with version 1.80 of the plugin, which is up to v 1.91 now.

It ain't much, but I finally got Photoshop to do SOMETHING!

Yee-haw!

ETA: The professional version of Daz Studio 4 is STILL available for free here. I don't know for how long, but the free offer will likely expire within the next couple of days - probably midnight Monday. I don't see the other softwares they were offering for free before, but they may still be there too if I kick around the site for a few minutes.

If you register and download it, make sure you don't forget to get the key to it in your download area! it reverts from the pro version to the free version (Pro is the highest of 3 levels, free is the lowest) without that key.

edit on 2012/5/27 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
HERE is the link to the free softwares still available. It comprises Daz Studio 4 Professional, Hexagon 2.5, and Bryce 7. Cararra 8 appears to be off the free list now, but the other three are still on it for the time being.

If you'll recall, Bryce was the software that Deson used in creating his fantastic ship designs. I believe he used version 5.5 or 6 to create the Deson Fighter. I tried to tinker with the free version, and couldn't make heads or tails of it. I've downloaded this one, but haven't installed it. I may do that one day soon to see if I can figure out how to export the Deson files to something I can use in other programs - he gave me several of the models, in the Bryce format. I think I have the fighter and a couple of others (Civ2 star ship and space station as i recall) laying around on one of my hard drives.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Sobbing like a baby and it's not even 0800, lol.

So I pulled a Hitchcock and left the details of the rescue to the imagination. I'll fill in more later but for now - it's done.

Enjoy.

peace

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Downloading Daz now and the plug in.

Daz is huge huh!

I've got Bryce here somewhere - or on my old machine. I have to admit I didn't have much luck with it either - but - to each his own.

Good job with the PS - looks awesome.

I'll make sure and get the download key too - thank you for reminding me!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Yeah, I think the Daz download is something over 450 megabytes - but, since it's the Pro version, there are things available in it that are locked out in the free version.

The Bryce I had before was the free version, and the one being offered right now is the Pro version. It looks like it could be impressive for landscapes... IF you can figure out how to use it. I'll stick with Terragen for landscapes, since I already know how to cuss at the computer just right when things go just wrong with it. If I install Bryce, it will probably be specifically to try and convert the Deson models. Downloading ALL the Bryce stuff is a huge undertaking - the program is only about 253 MB, but the added stuff, like the content file, brings the total up to nearly a gigabyte. Just the content is almost 700 megabytes in two files, one being 670 MB.

The Hexagon sounds interesting, but I've never used it. From the description, it sounds like it works along similar lines to Sculptris, but perhaps with finer control. I might be persuaded to tinker with it, just to see if I can make it do anything worthwhile. The Hexagon download is just a tad over 77 MB, which comes as a relief after downloading the other two! It might be something to look at for producing non-human organics (like Chumley) for use in Daz.

If you get a chance, grab the Photoshop bridge. It's supposed to be able to send your stuff from Daz directly into Photoshop. I can't say how it works, since I've only recently gotten anything at all done with Photoshop.

ETA: One other thing - once you have the pro versions, there is loads of stuff all across the internet to use in the which is also free. Daz itself offers different free stuff every so often, as does Renderosity and a couple of other websites that deal only in content, rather than programs.

new topics

top topics

<< 354  355  356    358  359  360 >>

join