It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police race to stop Real IRA bomb plot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Police race to stop Real IRA bomb plot

www.guardian.co.uk

Security forces on both sides of the Irish border were hunting last night for a dissident republican bomb, after intelligence reports the Real IRA has smuggled a large device into Northern Ireland from the south, the Guardian has learned.

The alert began on Monday before Continuity IRA killed PC Stephen Carroll. He will be buried tomorrow after requiem mass in his home town of Banbridge, County Down.

As border security tightened with extra checkpoints and patrols, sources in Dublin and Belfast said "intelligence traffic" indicated a plot to explode a bomb in the north, and the device had been transported across the border by car.

"The red light went up on Monday and there is a panic on that the next thing to happen is a bomb somewhere in the north," one veteran security officer said yesterday. "The problem is that no one either in the PSNI [Police Service of Northern Ireland] or the Garda appears to have specific intelligence where it is destined for." The security forces believe the device is similar in size to the 300lb car bomb that dissidents left abandoned in Castlewellan, County Down last month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Two die in 'barbaric' Army attack
Mass Protests On Streets Of Northern Ireland
Policeman shot dead in N.Ireland

[edit on 12/3/09 by Ste2652]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Following on from the murder of two soldiers and a police officer (see related threads) over the past few days, the British and Irish authorities believe that the Real IRA have smuggled a large amount of explosives into Northern Ireland as part of a terrorist campaign.

The people of Northern Ireland (both Catholic and Protestant) have made their views clear; they do not want to go back to the violence of previous decades. These people have no support... let's hope the police get to them before anyone gets injured or killed.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Let's all hope this calms down, let's all hope for all the trouble in this world, someone somewhere has a conscience...

Peace

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It's 'great' that these terrorists get called "dissidents" isn't it? Whilst the government broadens the definition of what constitutes being a 'criminal', what it takes to become a terrorist seemingly becomes more and more difficult.

As someone who was in Manchester City Centre in 1996 (on Market Street) when the IRA detonated a bomb there, I have no qualms in calling these people terrorist #s. Cowardly terrorist #s.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I just had a horrible thought.

What if it isn't meant for NI, what if it's England?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Well, it's equally bad wherever it's meant to be exploded. I can imagine that security for traffic coming out of Ireland is pretty intense at the moment.

On a personal level, I think that it's unlikely that Manchester will be hit again as it seems that people connected to the IRA invested in a lot of property around Manchester.

Link

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

It went across the border into Northern Ireland.

If this bomb was due for England, the device would have been constructed on the main land by an active cell. Security forces have confessed the fear is for Northern Ireland.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Well, it's equally bad wherever it's meant to be exploded. I can imagine that security for traffic coming out of Ireland is pretty intense at the moment.

Of course, my quote didn't intend to value one human life over another, i just worded it wrongly i suppose. Just worries me, because i live in England.

Peace

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

They were as cowardly as the British Army firing at unarmed civilians in the North and colluding in the Bombings in the south.

One mans terrorist is another's freedom fighter.

Just because a government states that their violence is legal and the other mans violence is not doesn't make the so called legit violence any easier for the people on the receiving side.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hell yeah IRA! I know they are some bamofo's, but i am full blooded irish, and i have some cousins still in the IRA, and past uncles who where also in the IRA. The reason i love the IRA is because they don't give empty threats, they do what they say, and mean what they do. Something the world should adapt. Instead we have everyone screaming in every direction, and it never happens. Well, here is the wolf.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnitedSatesofFreemasons
Hell yeah IRA! I know they are some bamofo's, but i am full blooded irish, and i have some cousins still in the IRA, and past uncles who where also in the IRA. The reason i love the IRA is because they don't give empty threats, they do what they say, and mean what they do. Something the world should adapt. Instead we have everyone screaming in every direction, and it never happens. Well, here is the wolf.

What kind of backward thinking idiot are you? You 'love' the I.R.A? I suppose it's idiots like you who donate money to their ''cause'' am I right?

And also, why is it that when the cowardly scumbag I.R.A kill innocent people someone says ''well the British army are just as bad'' as if it somehow justifies what the cowardly scumbag I.R.A does?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

Tell that to the dead children who died in the Arndale blast in manchester.

Real big wolf eh?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

What a mug you are. Keep your uniformed opinions to yourself. The 'Real' IRA's only aim is too kill and force violence back onto the Northern Irish people who don't want it. Notice as calm settled over the country it prospered massively. The IRA know this is counterproductive to their outdated notions of being a part of a united Ireland. NI is part of the UK and always will be.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

I'll tell you why - cause until you call the British Army's action along with their loyalist UDA minions cowardly scumbags cowardly terrorists especially when they are an occupational force you have no right to call the IRA cowardly terrorists.

If you see a stone call it a stone no matter what its hue - don't see one stone as a diamond.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

Yes but the British army has not killed a NI citizen in many a year. It is Northern Irish killing Northern Irish as in the case of the policemen. And the killinf of the British soldier is clearly intended as a provaction in trying to force the British soldiers back onto the streets, which WILL lead to the deaths of Northern Irish citizens. Nice one RIRA, very responsible.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

There is no such thing as Northern Ireland and never will be.

Ireland will be free - you watch!!

They said the same about the 26 counties and we are now free - within my lifetime the other 6 will return home free of the invaders forever.

Tiocfaidh ar la

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

So is that a 'free' Ireland at any cost your looking for?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

What are the british soliders after ten years of peace still doing in the land of Ireland - you ask the IRA to lay down arms promising British army withdrawal as laid out in the good friday agreement - 10 years later they are still there.

What is that but provocation - why is the actions of the British Government never questioned??

No one should ever die - that is not what anyone wants - but the British army remaining in the North is not what the IRA signed peace treaties for.

They are stationed in Afghanistan, Iraq and the North of Ireland when it was peaceful???

Draw your own conclusions from that strategy.

The IRA were not active for 10 years and they were still there - they should have left the northern enclave of the Irish republic to self govern itself - no need for forces there - now it has caused blood shed to return.

An inevitable consequence of not following the terms of the treaty.

They need to withdraw now - let the north to self rule with the PSNI to patrol the streets.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

All freedom comes at a cost - Britains freedom came from the cost of the napolenic wars, the first world war, the second etc

Why is Irelands freedom any different - the 26 counties were won by force.

This is not what is first choice but you try peace with the british and they break the terms

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

As i understand it the troops in NI are not operational troops but based there as they are all over the U.K. You have a constitutional assembly which is a step in the right direction for your own governance. But when you have radicals like you do on both sides it is important that British troops can intervene if really needed.

I don't know if you realize it, but there is a large proportion of your society who whish to remain an part of the Union. If a united Ireland was forced upon them a civil war seems very likely. Is that an acceptable cost?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join