It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
36% of the present-day population define themselves as Unionist, 24% as Nationalist and 40% define themselves as neither. According to a 2007 opinion poll, 66% express long term preference of the maintenance of Northern Ireland's membership of the United Kingdom (either directly ruled or with devolved government), while 23% express a preference for membership of a united Ireland. This discrepancy can be explained by the overwhelming preference among Protestants to remain a part of the UK (89%), while Catholic preferences are spread across a number of solutions to the constitutional question including remaining a part of the UK (39%), a united Ireland (47%), Northern Ireland becoming an independent state (6%), and those who "don't know" (7%). Official voting figures, which reflect views on the "national question" along with issues of candidate, geography, personal loyalty and historic voting patterns, show 54% of Northern Ireland voters vote for Pro-Unionist parties, 42% vote for Pro-Nationalist parties and 4% vote "other". Opinion polls consistently show that the election results are not necessarily an indication of the electorate's stance regarding the constitutional status of Northern Ireland.
Originally posted by Hawkwind.
You almost come across as a fanatic, Count66, your 'devil's advocate' persona does not wash.
The British army and loyalists also carried out actions as despicable as eniskillen
Originally posted by count66
reply to post by Mintwithahole.
The orangemen who were part of the 26 counties - a significant number I might add at first did not want to be part of the Republic.
Once they got used to the idea they liked it and in fact if you ask the any of the orange lodges south of the border whether the would prefer a return to the union they would say no.
I know this for a fact from a good friend of mine who is a pro united Ireland orange man from the south.
Its unionists like you across the water who better get used to the disintegration of the union.
Scotland within the next 20 years will be independent again. Then the North will be united with the south of Ireland. That will only leave England and Wales.