It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Unbelievers...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
A simple question:

When you were a child, did you believe in God?

I mean before you learned anything about religion or the bible, did you believe in God, at least as the creator of the world?

If yes, explain in which way.

If no, explain why not?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I believed in Santa Clause and the tooth fairy

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Once again, another condescending post that assumes all "unbeleivers" are incapable of beleif in a higher power just because they do not follow the Bible...

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Excuse me? Where did I say Unbelievers are incapable of believing in a Higher Power? If I thought that, I'd throw my Bible out the window.

I asked a very simple question, seems like you're the one with the assumptions about Christians.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by B.A.C.]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Environment determines your belief or disbelief.

Even as a very young child I can remember the preachers on the radio, my granny singing hymns, prayers around the dinner table, pictures of Christ on the wall, Statues of Rebecca at the well on the mantel. Sunday school and church even as an infant, Prayer meetings etc.

So yeah, as a child I believed in God; how could I not.

Now, I'm not so sure. A little evidence would be nice. And the Bible isn't it.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I never actualy believed in god ever, and the irony about it is that it was catholic school that made me not believe!

When i was in catholic school, we had to do the useual, pray in every lesson, go to church on every thursday, and have brain-washing essemblys and school plays.

The reason it made me not believe it was because i kept asking questions that they could'nt answer.

I have to say, when i first went there, i did not believe nor dissbelieve in god. But the turning point was in my second year (when i was 5/6). I distinctivly remember asking the question "If there is a heaven for people who dont sin, and a hell for those who do, and god forgives all sins, how is there a hell??" Then they explaned that he only forgives those who repent, and in my mind that just didnt make sence. Whats stopping someone repenting on there death bed?? Even hitler could of done it!!

Since that day at school, the rest of my catholic school life i just picked out every contredition in the book and went about my way in proving the whole thing to my teachers. The majority of my school life was in the headmasters office arguing about christianity.

So yea, i never believed.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by B.A.C.
When you were a child, did you believe in God?

No while I didn't become an Atheist until around my late teens I didn't believe in god as a kid .

I mean before you learned anything about religion or the bible, did you believe in God, at least as the creator of the world?

Well I still don't know anything about the Bible .

If no, explain why not?

None of my family who knew growing up as a kid were religious and I had no natural inclination towards believing in god or religion .

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well it depends what age you mean by child.

The mind doesn't form at too early an age so it would be hard to cocieve thoughts of God too early.

as for me, I would say before I was 10 nobody ever tuaght me about God. I knew about him from my father after I was ten but didn't know who Jesus was until I was 20.

So I basically was Godless until about 20 years old and decided on my own with help of his grace to learn about him.

so i would say that not every christian grows up with God their whole life, some convert like I did from a Godless childhood.

peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Even as a very young child I can remember the preachers on the radio, my granny singing hymns, prayers around the dinner table, pictures of Christ on the wall, Statues of Rebecca at the well on the mantel. Sunday school and church even as an infant, Prayer meetings etc.

Unfortunate that you don't believe in the Bible. I assume from your description you were raised catholic? Maybe that contributed to it. Try forgetting everything you ever learned about God and Christ, grab a KJV Bible, and read it without any preconceived religious notions.

But, Faith is very important, first you must believe before Christ will be revealed.

M'r:8:12: And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by B.A.C.

Unfortunate that you don't believe in the Bible.

No. Unfortunate is the number of starving children in the world, or the fate of the many people killed in the Victoria Bushfires.

My point is there are far more pressing matters in the world than a book.

Why do you think it is unfortunate to not know the Bible? Why do you think it is that important for us?

To 'save' us?

Perhaps some of us are happy with our lives the way they are and don't want to read another ancient fiction novel.

And some Christians wonder why they get 'attacked' by Atheists so much... because you all know how to get us off side by jamming beliefs down out throats.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Unfortunate that you don't believe in the Bible. I assume from your description you were raised catholic? Maybe that contributed to it. Try forgetting everything you ever learned about God and Christ, grab a KJV Bible, and read it without any preconceived religious notions.

Are you nutz? How is it possible for me to not have any preconceived religious
notions and forget everything I learned about Christ and God, when I was raised by a bunch of holier than thou, Southern Baptist,
zealots that displayed toxic hate, hypocrisy everyday I lived with them.
The Baptist I lived with thought that Lutherans were spawn of the Devil.

I want nothing to do with organized religion, the Bible or anyone proselytizing "my way is the only way"

Would you want me quoting the Koran to you?? See what I mean?

It appears to me that Christians are their own worst enemy.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by B.A.C.

No and no

The reason being was, that I was bought up without religion, although I was given a choice.

And

As a child I had much better things to do like spend time with my family and play sport etc

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Are you nutz? How is it possible for me to not have any preconceived religious
notions and forget everything I learned about Christ and God, when I was raised by a bunch of holier than thou, Southern Baptist,
zealots that displayed toxic hate, hypocrisy everyday I lived with them.
The Baptist I lived with thought that Lutherans were spawn of the Devil.

I want nothing to do with organized religion, the Bible or anyone proselytizing "my way is the only way"

Would you want me quoting the Koran to you?? See what I mean?

It appears to me that Christians are their own worst enemy.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by whaaa]

I think you missed my point. I'm also against organized religion, zealots, holier than thou, or thinking anyone is the spawn of the devil.

"My way is the only way" is also not what I believe. I think you come to belief "Your way" not "My way".

You said the Bible isn't the answer, for you that may be true. I was just saying that if you read it at face value, without the zealotism, holier than thou, hatred that you were brought up in, you may find new meaning.

Sure if someone wants to quote the Koran to me they can, or any other book for that matter. It doesn't offend me in any way, I'm firm in my belief so why would I be offended?

God Bless

[edit on 1-3-2009 by B.A.C.]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
reply to post by B.A.C.

Unfortunate that you don't believe in the Bible.

No. Unfortunate is the number of starving children in the world, or the fate of the many people killed in the Victoria Bushfires.

My point is there are far more pressing matters in the world than a book.

Why do you think it is unfortunate to not know the Bible? Why do you think it is that important for us?

To 'save' us?

Perhaps some of us are happy with our lives the way they are and don't want to read another ancient fiction novel.

And some Christians wonder why they get 'attacked' by Atheists so much... because you all know how to get us off side by jamming beliefs down out throats.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by fooffstarr]

Where did I jam ANY belief down your throat? I consider it unfortunate that you don't believe, maybe in the same way you consider unfortunate that I do.

Also, I didn't ridicule your beliefs in any way did I? But you called what I believe fiction.

God Bless

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I was raised with God and religion and the Bible. I had a personal relationship with Him from very early on.

Fortunately, I have God and don't need the rest. It is very easy to see why people leave God behind with the bad example religion sets.

Why the KJV? It is found to be one of the worst formulated versions of the Bible. Why not a Modern English? No Bible is based on any original writings anyway, so why not read one that is easier to read?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Where did I jam ANY belief down your throat? I consider it unfortunate that you don't believe, maybe in the same way you consider unfortunate that I do.

God Bless

Unfortunate? Cant pick a more patronising word there mate. Souns like you pitty us for not believeing.

We dont pitty people for their belifes.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
I was raised with God and religion and the Bible. I had a personal relationship with Him from very early on.

Fortunately, I have God and don't need the rest. It is very easy to see why people leave God behind with the bad example religion sets.

Why the KJV? It is found to be one of the worst formulated versions of the Bible. Why not a Modern English? No Bible is based on any original writings anyway, so why not read one that is easier to read?

I find the KJV easy to read. If you wanna start a thread about the pros and cons of the KJV do so, I'll debate with you.

God Bless

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks

God Bless

Unfortunate? Cant pick a more patronising word there mate. Souns like you pitty us for not believeing.

We dont pitty people for their belifes.

Step back and think about my beliefs for a moment. If I believe someone will go to hell for not believing, and I'm supposed to love them, wouldn't I find that unfortunate?

I don't pity people for their beliefs, is it bad that I worry about someone?

I'm showing love, nothing patronizing about concern for your fellow man.

God bless

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by B.A.C.

I find the KJV easy to read. If you wanna start a thread about the pros and cons of the KJV do so, I'll debate with you.

Not necessary, there are books written on it. You can debate all you want, but none of it is based on any actual original manuscripts, and the edition that Erasmus wrote which led to the KJV was based on some of the worst copies around that were available to him.

But each to his own. It has romantic value, I suppose.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I know this may sound realy pessamistic, but you cant love me, or worry about me.

To put it down to simple fact:

1. You dont know anything about me (aka, anything to do with my identity. Name, hair colour, sex, etc)

2. It is impossible to love the whole entire human race as inderviduals. You at least need to know how many there are first to make such a claime, otherwise you love the human race as a whole, therfore yo udont love me, you love what i am apart of.

3. How can you worry about me?? If you worried about everyone on the earth you would be doing nothing else but worry. You dont truly worry about me, and i would be freaked out if you did.

To sum it all up. You can not possibly love and worry about every indervidual in existance. You use the word "love" for the stregnth the word has, however the strength has gone for it being over-used so oftern. Love is one (is not The) strongest word of compasion in the english language, and you say you have that compasion about someone who you know nothing of?? Its not biologicaly/mentaly possible.

The sad fact is that the people who use your argument (im sorry for you going to hell, and i worry because i love you, as i love every human) are useualy the christians who say all that to prove to their ego's that they are a good christian and will get a garanteed place in heaven.
Which means you are using christianity for your own selfish ego instead of what the message actualy is, to share and help people you care and love for, instead of just yourself. And when it states that, it doesnt mean help all humanity, you think jesus would put that much pressure on people?! If he was the messiah, he would know that would never work, and it would cause too much dissagrement and rage that it will infact to the opposite in the end and cause seperation of humanity instead of a unity.

end of rant.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join