It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Human being has caused the most deaths?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Number one killer- Crack(or heroin)
no statistical facts, just the word on the street! Drugs are bad mmkay!
Although...The Chief saves lives. It did Mine.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOpsAgent9

It's kind of funny, in a way. Hitler was known for killing Jews and that's why everyone hates Hitler, yet Trotsky and Stalin who killed even more people than Hitler, were Jewish. LOL. (Bronstein is a Jewish name, and Stalin's birth name was Jughashvili until he changed it to Stalin. Stalin is Russian for "Steel". It's unknown if Stalin was Jewish or not, but all 3 of his wives that he had were Jewish and he also had a love-affair with a jewish woman).

[edit on 1-3-2009 by BlackOpsAgent9]

I'm afraid you're just quoting the standard anti-Jewish claptrap that floats around on the Net and in conspiracy hate literature.

A number of Soviet leaders had Jewish wives. Jews were active as professionals, politically and intellectually in the Communist era.

Trotsky was very much out of the loop by the time Stalin was starving the Ukraine where Jews also died. Probably the only idealist of the bunch trying to create a Marxist equitable distribution of wealth. He was assassinated in Mexico.

Stalin being Jewish - not even a possibility. Name changes from typical Slavic to iconic was also common. A brute and a tyrant unprecedented.

Mike F

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
My response to the Pope accusers.

What about welfare proponents? How many people have died that would not have even been born if not for a welfare check?

Add welfare proponents to the list!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Drugs deaths arn't near as high as people think. In 2003 under 30,000 people died from illegal drugs in the US.

Source: Hoyert, Donna L., PhD, Heron, Melonie P., PhD, Murphy, Sherry L., BS, Kung, Hsiang-Ching, PhD; Division of Vital Statistics, "Deaths: Final Data for 2003," National Vital Statistics Reports, Vol. 54, No. 13 (Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, April 19, 2006), p. 10.

Tobacco on the other hand kills around 400,000 a year in the US.

Source: Mokdad, Ali H., PhD, James S. Marks, MD, MPH, Donna F. Stroup, PhD, MSc, Julie L. Gerberding, MD, MPH, "Actual Causes of Death in the United States, 2000," Journal of the American Medical Association, March 10, 2004, Vol. 291, No. 10, pp. 1238, 1241.

Neither of them can be attributed to one single person though.

Kim Jong Ill on the other hand bears much of the responsibility for the deaths of around 3 million North Koreans due to famine.

[edit on 1/3/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Saddam, just joking.

I think Saddam was really really really really really overrated. Infact the Bush Admin said terror, genocide, war, fear, killing with the name Saddam consistingly for a few months to gear and fear the people for another war.

Heck, you would think that Saddam wiped half of Asia, the way the American government painted him.

But hey I was right Saddam the biggest slaughter of humans, was a joke

The Bush admin were LIEING right

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

You said, "Pope John Paul II,
any other pope in last 30 yrs

Why, his policy on contraception thus leading to over population in countries, Thus being unable to feed themselves. Thus DEATH

Total = unknown but 10's of thousands die every day. "

OK, I have to call BS on this one. I will admit that poverty and hunger are major world problems but you cannot lay this one on the Catholic Church and the Pope.

The countries around the world where the issues of poverty and starvation are the most severe are not dominated by Catholics. They are in fact Buddist, Hindu, and Muslem. The Pope's position on contraception has nothing to do with starvation in India and Pakistan for example.

Unless of course your point is that kids going to private Catholic schools in the US and Europe are dying by the thousands per day?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have taken a look at the majority of this thread.

This kind of debate is meaningless in the complete absense of morality or a separation between acts of ommission and commission.

I am no fan of Bill Clinton, but he is not responsible for Rawanda, any more than Kofi Annan is responsible. They stood by and did nothing that is true, that is not the same as chopping up people with a machete. Let's blame the people with the machete.

The same goes for both of the Bush Presidencies. Yes, we went to war to stop Saddam Hussein. However nobody killed more Iraqis than Saddam, millions of them, also add to Saddam's list a million Iranians.

Still Saddam does not compare to the Holy Trinity of genocidal killers, Mao, Stalin, and Hitler. Together they were responsible for over 100 million deaths.

By the way, General Paul Tibits and Major General Charles Sweeney died not long ago. They and their crews killed more than 120,000 people when they dropped the first atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagisaki. These were deliberate acts and they flipped the switches. Yet, their actions saved the lives of millions of American servicemen and millions more Japanese. So, as I said these kinds of discussions are meaningless without context.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

Oh, I left one out. Emperor Hirohito died 20 years ago. His actions killed millions of Chinese, Japanese, Americans, Australians, Brits, and other Europeans.

Sure, I know that history says it was all Tojo's fault but Hirohito was the Emperor of Japan and the Divine One. He put Tojo in place and had the authority to remove him at any time.

He killed millions.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
My vote? Rachel Carson.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Death.....the 'Grim Reaper'.....he has MY vote....oh, this is about 'Human' beings????

Well, we can rule out the Bubonic Plague, cancer...etc, etc, etc.....

Oh, wait a minute....! Since we Humans procreate, and make more Humans....and those Humans ultimately die, then we're ALL responsible!!!

Well, that was a bit flippant....my top three remain: Jesus, Mao and Stalin.

(I thought about Genghis Kahn, but don't know enough about him...too long ago....)

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I think you're going to have to explain your Jesus vote. Jesus didn't kill anyone as far as I can tell.

I know you mean his followers but see my post about acts of ommission and commission. Jesus did neither.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Well....lunar.....Mao and Stalin and Hitler didn't directly kill anyone, either.

If I read the top, to see what this is about, it says "Which Human being has caused the most deaths?"

'Caused'....that's the key word, there.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Yep, and again I ask who did Jesus kill? Nobody.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

lm.....please, once more.....'caused', that's the word in this, admittedly, completely subjective mental exercise.

There is no correct answer here....it is about examining, and learning and possibly enlightenment along the way.

I realized that putting 'jesus' out there, it would ruffle some feathers....but sometimes, it's good to get debates raging....as long as they are civil.

Doesn't mean minds will be changed....but issues will be aired, and that's healthy.

Perhaps the teachings of 'muhammed' have 'caused' (there's that word again) more deaths than the teachings of 'jesus'....point is, NO ONE has a count!!!!

AGAIN, neither of these individuals INTENDED that people die, in their names.....so, to be perfectly clear, the responsibility is not to be laid at the feet of these men!!!!! I no way infer that.

Of course, I see the problem.....Hitler, Mao, Stalin 'ordered' people to be killed. Those three (just to mention three) are pure evil. There are others.

I, perhaps, took the title of this thread too literally....but, it is 'caused'.....whether intentionally or unintenionally, is not specified in the title.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but a dispassionate look at this question was my goal.....

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I know this is about the last 30 years but when you are talking about people who personally killed a large number of people,not just ordering their deaths but actually killing them.
This guy come to mind. It is really strange that they actually know who he was.[url=www.independent.co.uk...[/url ]]"Hein Severloh is reputed to be the German soldier who killed and wounded the most enemy troops in a single day during the whole of the 2nd World War.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

All I asked was for you to support your claim.

Jesus killed nobody, at least according to the Bible accounts. It is reported that he beat some money changers with cords, so he was capable of violence. However, he never advocated violence. I know that it is popular to claim that "more people have been killed in the name of religion than for any other cause."

Unfortunately that argument does not hold up. Wars are fought for economic reasons, regardless of what excuses the politicians give. Jesus had nothing to do with economics or politics.

As for Mohammed, you are wrong on that count as well. The Koran very clearly states that Mohammed wiped out a whole caravan of Christians because they would not convert. He then helped himself to their animals, wives, and belongings. There are also many passages in the Koran that proclaim that it's alright to kill Jews and Christians, of course there are also passages that say that it's not right to do so. So, Mohammed is a draw at best.

I find it interesting that you didn't include Moses, Buddha, or Krishna.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

Wow! That guy was a one man war!

I am surprized that he survived D-Day, because in the movie, "The Longest Day", I saw that American soldiers shot German's as they tried to surrender.

I know that Hollywood wouldn't lie to me!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

lunar (and calcoast).....please, please, I implore you both.....READ the title of the thread!!!!

lunar....I am not familiar with Buddha or Krishna.....and I thought Moses was Christian??? ANYway......

calcoast....READ the title!!!

AGAIN!! If I offended anyone's personal god figure, I am sorry, it was not directed at that god figure!!!

This happened to be a very open-ended question, per the title.

MAYBE a Pharoah from ancient Egypt caused more deaths!!! They were, likely, "Human beings"....verifiable records from that long ago are hard to come by.....so, I narrowed the focus to the last 2000+ years, since we have pretty good, if somewhat shaky at first, records.....but, again....it is a THOUGHT EXPERIMENT!!!!

Allow me, please, to step back again.....and examine the title....and, now, I left it out before, examine the Forum that this thread is in....

It is in the 'War on Terrorism' Forum. It is titled "Which Human being has caused the most deaths?"

Jesus was NOT a 'terrorist'....Muhammed was NOT a 'terrorist'....again, neither Hitler, Mao or Stalin....(well, THOSE three, debatable....) but point is, it is NOT about who 'ordered' deaths, it is about who, even if unintentionally, 'caused' deaths.

THAT is my point in this exercise, it is a discussion NOT to assign blame, in no way, shape or form. It is an exercise to examine the Human condition....what makes us tick?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Yeah, I got your point.

Since the OP asks for verifiable deaths. I simply asked you to explain how Jesus has caused any deaths. So far you have completely dodged the question.

As I said, I know that it is popular to blame religion for every ill that currently afflicts humanity but there is no evidence for that claim.

I had a very specific point about Moses, Buddha, and Krishna.

The Bible very clearly points out that Moses killed an overseer before he was banished from Egypt.

Buddha is reported to have murdered a man before he sought enlightenment.

Krishna is a warrior god and he kills many foes in the Mahabarata.

I realize that you probably didn't know that.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Well, so far lm....you've pointed out, that according to myth, Moses and Buddha each killed one man....Krishna, who knows?

I will try again....it is NOT about the actions of the man, it is about the causality.....not his fault, it's what 'followers' have done, in 'their' names.

There, truly, is NO WAY to ascertain the answer posed by the OP.

It is a question, in my opinion, meant to shake us to the core, to examine our beliefs and assumptions, to pummel the tree and cause the coconuts to fall.

IN that vein, I am attempting to continue.

I imagine the OP sitting back, and reading....maybe I'VE read more into it that the OP intended.....but, I still see it as quite profound......

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join