It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You just aint fit enough!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Wotan- just seen your signature.

Every Morning I THANK God I wake up an Englishman

Try walking on tip-toe, that way you can let him lie-in while you get ready for work

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I know I am not fit enough to hike it straight out non stop all day.

I cna walk for many miles without my pack, with it, not so much.

Add in the heat of summer, and then damn few can do it.

I plan to hike n' hide as I go if I have to hike it out.

If it is hotter than blue blazes then I will walk it out at night.

I think my primary back roads route will be clear, and if it is not
then my secondary route has a good shot at being clear for me
to drive out.

If both are log jammed then I will walk as far as I can, and then
hide in the brush along my route and rest up for a bit.

I have a full head to toe camo bug proof suit for this.

Also I tend to think a lot of ppl will try to stick around and defend
their pile of 2x4's and gypsum wrapped in paper.

In some situations that may work out just fine, in others not so much.

I just look at things like the LA wildfires and the LA riots and
decided that it was not something I wanted to stick around
through and hope for the best.

Good Luck to you all !

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
What can the woods provide you that the cities cant? Protection from the military, from martial law, from mass looting and rioting? Perhaps- but if it comes to that- do you really want to struggle to survive like the first american settlers did in the middle of nowhere with little or no modern food or shelter?

In most situations staying at home is fine, but some "possible" ones
make the cities not an option.

If something happens to trigger race riots and ppl start burning bldgs
and it turns into a wildfire like what happened in California then
staying in the city is not such a good idea.

If there is a bio or chem attack, then staying in your designated
plastic covered taped safe room is prolly best til it is all clear.

If civil war breaks out and martial law is put in effect and they
are rounding up ppl that own guns, or for whatever reason
staying home is not a good idea.

I am not a 100% rural bugout person, but I'd say I lean to rural
bugout because I am ex-military, and I am Native American.

If it comes to life or death, and you decided to stay and die vs.
going "camping" I am gonna bet you will regret it.

The forest can be a good home for those who know how to live
in it, and take care of themselves.

Check out the Mike Oehler underground home method.

Watch the movie defiance, it is based on a true story of ppl that
hid in the woods and survived the holocaust in europe.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Wel, right this second i might only be capable of making 10 miles in 2 hours at 6-7000' elevation in the dark over the mountainous terrain that surrounds me before i run out of breath.

But i've also got bruised ribs and lung right now and it hurts to breathe.

When i'm not injured a 20 mile night hike takes 5 hours if i take my time. In daylight i can trail run the same 20 miles in half the time. I've done it with my bag loaded with more weight than i'd reasonably carry for a week's worth of self sufficiency. I can make about 30-40 miles a day if i want, and i'd push myself hard for anything over 50.

I've done 30+ miles through the desert with no gear, just t-shirt, shorts, and boots in the middle of summer. I had no problem finding food, water, or shelter and had fun doing it.

I'm not too worried about my bag though, i can do without it, and it's mostly a luxury timesaver. I can navigate, find water, find or build shelter, make fire and find food without my bag, it's just a bit easier to set up a tent than it is to build a wickiup or lean-to.

It's important to consider that a 20 mile walk varies greatly in difficulty depending on elevation, surface, and weather. At sea level 20 miles across soft ground would be nothing, but consider 20 miles at 7000' across uneven unstable rocks. Now add a headwind, sun overhead, and low humidity. Or how about walking 20 miles in the snow? At night, in the rain, or hail. That same distance can either be a stroll in the park or a death march.

I'm actually quite fond of a good death march though, and do so when i get the opportunity. I've got a couple of friends who also are into death march, and we do some gnarly group hikes. For us it's training, we'd be able to move through the roughest stuff around here with skill and confidence.

I'm not most people though, i'm an adrenaline addict and somewhat masochistic, pain is vivid and intense, and is a pleasure to experience for the experience itself. You'll never know heaven till you've been through hell, and what don't kill you only makes you stronger.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'll admit that I'm nowhere fit enough to slog over 20km on foot with a full pack...that's where the MTB comes in handy

Thinking about it, an ideal solution would be a bike trailer. Even if you have to ditch the bike, the trailer could still be hauled on foot like a rickshaw.

Or for something more immediate that would double as a shelter of sorts would be to pile your gear into a wheelie-bin and roll that along behind you

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm 100% sure I'm fit enough... The army does that to you I guess.
I can't stress that enough, please all ATS'ers get fit! Remember its survival of the fittest (mentally and physically...).
Start with a 4km with no gear then 4km with gear after you get that down, proceed with an 8km and so on. Just remember to make it a mental challenge, don't take no for an answer and always push yourself to the limit.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have been known as the Walking Dude, real-ropey finances necessitates alternatives modes of transport. Having said that, the mass transit system has made me lazy.

When I next get a free window I will be going for a fully-laden walk, I've been out once with the kit but only for a couple of hours, just to guage to weight.

I am not fit; not physically fit; I doubt I am 100% mentally fit too. I am also not going to start heading for the gym every night (something I consider a complete waste anyway). I'll slowly build up, if I can get out the city and get me a bike again I'll certainly resume cycling.

Bottom line, no I "just aint fit enough" but that's a limitation that's been a factor for nearly forty years. If I'm not prepared for that by now I'm doomed.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
I am not sure whether 'we' actually need to be in peak physical fitness to be honest in these kinds of scenarios. Obviously it would help to be so, but I dont think its an absolute neccessity.

Another thing to consider ...... families. It is no good being an olympic athlete when having a couple of 'young-uns' and the missus in tow behind you ....... you are only as fast as the slowest person in your group.

Personally, I would say, being healthy (medically speaking) is more of a priority than being athletically fit.

Too true Wotan
"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I suppose I am fortunate enough in a way, to live on a smallish Island. No-where is really that far to walk/hike. There are no cities, only towns, villages and hamlets and is very rural, with lots of wooded areas and countryside. The population of the whole Island is only about 120,000 and 50% of that is over 60 years old.

I could drive to the highest point on the Island within 40 minutes. The Island is criss-crossed with footpaths/trails/cyclepaths as well as tarmac roads and it is easy to get 'off-road' if one should need to. I have maps of and have walked most of these footpaths over the years.

I am not fit by any means, just average I suppose. I walk approximately 5 miles a day in my job. I do go for small hikes with some of my gear when I have time for it, but have never done a practice 'bug-out'. To me, bugging out is a last resort and would really only come into play if there was an environmental situation X in progress.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I even considered islands in the large lakes in my area as a good
place to hide as that is one hell of a moat, lol.

Your place sounds like you have a lot of wise and experienced
old timers who know how to live off the land.

Not all for sure, but I bet quite a few.

I think you have a great place to make it thru any SitX except
maybe Cumbre Vieja, thou that will mostly be a problem for
ppl near the US east coast.

Good Luck !

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
I have been known as the Walking Dude, real-ropey finances necessitates alternatives modes of transport. Having said that, the mass transit system has made me lazy.

I'm in the same boat man...

At least having to ride public transport gives you an opportunity to hone other skills that would be useful in urban survival such as...

tuning in to the crowd-collective mentality: invaluable if an emergency were to break out and cause a stampede

predator spotting: mugging/dipping by predatory theives is far easier done in a crowd...if you can spot them you can avoid them

Its also an ideal way to practice tai-chi skills and move like water quickly through a crowd

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
I don't disagree with the possibility of SitX but I don't understand the need to hike 30k a day? Did I misread that?

Elaborate

Peace

It's for the extreme case scenario of outpacing (military?) pursuers (on foot) and getting to supply areas before your own BOBs supplies run out.
Its only for certain SHTFs and TEOTWAWKIs though

Break-glass in case of...
Desertskies, you are the counter-striking survivalist against the NWO death squads my friend.
If we could clone you and have you in a box ready to spring out in TSHTF we'd have nothing to worry about, you'd be a fast moving scout to beat the band man.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I am not sure whether 'we' actually need to be in peak physical fitness to be honest in these kinds of scenarios. Obviously it would help to be so, but I dont think its an absolute neccessity.

If you don't think it's a necessity to be physically fit - then prepare to be left behind.
Or caught.

I can't stress enough the need for physical fitness.
It should be on the top of your priorities list.
Top.
What goods a well thought out BOB, escape plan, etc - if you can't run a mile without falling down puking?

Sure, the adrenalin will kick in and help your bod and mind - but for a very limited amount of time - and when that *rush* runs out - you're through rushing - for good in some cases.

peace

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread440502
If you don't think it's a necessity to be physically fit - then prepare to be left behind. Or caught.

Shouldn't that be something to factor into a bug-out...if a party member becomes too injured/ill to continue but insists on being left behind to cover your trail?

What would the best strategy be in that case?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Shouldn't that be something to factor into a bug-out...if a party member becomes too injured/ill to continue but insists on being left behind to cover your trail?
What would the best strategy be in that case?

Well that's something to consider.
Hmmm, now you got me thinking, lol.

peace

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I don't look like I'm physically fit but I am. I am 5' 7" and weigh 250 pounds.
I am taking the "I'm going to need that fat when everything gets bad route to survival." I might look fat but I am able to walk for eight hours straight with 50 pounds of equipment on my back.

Mentally I am the most prepared out of my whole family. I have a natural talent for learning fast, making good decisions and taking in bad sights. I am a hunter and forager. Have studied 10s upon 10s of survival guides and techniques.

I believe I am prepared in both those fields. Now in gear... Still need afew things.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

An excellent question, one that has moved me to post.

Personally, i am an extremely fit bloke. Soldier, red cross and mine clearance ( I am now a luthier and very happy) and have kept myself just under peak fitness for years, building to peak when situations (marathons and tri's) required.

When I joined the army, i was fit. Others in my training party were not. However, when it came to TAB, Yomp, whatever you want to call it, I just could not carry weight. The 'unfit' blokes could.

Being fit and being load carrying fit, are two different things. Like most things in life, both skills can be attained with practice if you don't already have them. Practice.

I would urge everyone to try carrying their BOB etc, to the place they have planned in case of SitX. With family. Exactly how you have planned it.

You won't have adrenalin / epinephrine on your side, but after 10 minutes you will know if your boots fit. Feet first.

Eight years ago I walked to Portugal with my dog, from Amsterdam. I had a Berghaus Cyclops 100 + 20 litre bergan with me. Filled with everything my training told me I should have. 58 Kg total, including dog food. No campsites, no hotels*

63 days later, I arrived in Lagos, South Portugal, with my Dog, and roughly carrying 15 kg excluding dog food. I dumped the majority of crap betwixt Lille, N.France and San Sebastion, NW Spain.

I met my wife in Portugal and the whole walk was magical, but that's another tale.

My boots were great, by bergan was/is great. My dog was/is 5h1th0t and my fitness was a natural high. But guess what? My mind got me through it.

When my 'fit' legs were lead and my 'strong' back was broke, my noggin' got me to a good biv down place. My spirit dragged me the extra mile to some beautiful places I otherwise would never have seen. And my dog NEVER tired, which was of course uplifting.

Train your body and train your mind, because after all, you use them everyday. Someday you might actually need them.

I didn't mean to preach to the choir, but genuinely felt I could share some ken.

Peace be with you, dear people. Sam.

*Apart from one. She was gorgeous, kind and clever. It was Paris and she was very, very, French. We were young, romantic and well versed in the classics. This only happens once in a life and we were worth it
mmm.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
A good question that most don't consider.

I would say I am far from military fit, but in very good condition.

I do the eliptical and weights frequently, and as recently as Tuesday I hiked about 3 miles pushing 80+ lbs of kids and strollers.

TEOTWAWKI is about the furthest of my reasons for wanting to stay fit, though.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I am sorry, but I do not agree with you. Being a physically fit being in your teens and twentys is fine, as is if you are in the military, but for most people who are older and have full-time commitments, physical fitness to peak levels is a rare thing.

As long as you are not a sentinent couch potato, but have an average fitness level - for your age and medical condition if any, then for most situations you will be fine.

You also have to take into consideration the situation X scenario that you are expecting to have to escape from. Not everyone thinks that the Government/NWO or some other boogie man is out to get them.

As i have stated before, its no good being an olympic athlete when you have your family in tow behind you.

Anyway, WHY RUN, when you can walk?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
You also have to take into consideration the situation X scenario that you are expecting

The physical aspect of 'fitness' is overrated...whilst someone may have the muscle to trek 40-60Km a day, its sheer mental fitness that will keep you walking rather than just sitting down and giving up.

Take some of the amazing survival tales, such as Juliana Koepke, a 17yo lass who survived a plane wreck in the jungle and walked out alive...without mental fitness and an 'I'll not bloody quit' mentality she'd have never made it

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join