It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You just aint fit enough!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I agree,if your mind can't fathom the task then the body won't either.
Excercise is an essential tool.
The better the body feels then the better the thinking you can do.
Its an energy thing.
Survival stories are about mental toughness...but your body needs to be as tough as your mind to pull it off.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The sad fact of the matter is that the British population is so unfit if you can run a mile you are in the fittest 10%. A question that needs to be asked is what are you training for? When sitX hits, what are your plans? If it is a 100m dash to your bunker why do you need to be able to hike 50Ks a day. Surely you make a plan and then train specifically to fulfil that goal, (factoring in plans B,C and so on)?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Fitness among survivalists is a damn good idea, but I believe stamina is of equal importance. The guy who can run a five minute mile is fine, but the guy who can walk for 18 hours non stop with a heavy ruck on his back is more useful to the S community. Its not the sprinter who survives its the endurance walker who refuse to give up.

If god had wanted us to be super fit atheletes he would not have invented Land Rovers, mind you landy owners get fit pushing them cos they are so bloody unreliable ( NR ducks behind sofa)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnconnor
The sad fact of the matter is that the British population is so unfit if you can run a mile you are in the fittest 10%. A question that needs to be asked is what are you training for? When sitX hits, what are your plans? If it is a 100m dash to your bunker why do you need to be able to hike 50Ks a day. Surely you make a plan and then train specifically to fulfil that goal, (factoring in plans B,C and so on)?

Nope, you train for every eventuality because your 'plan' will more than likely become useless due to the unpredictability of SitX.

[edit on 28/2/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
OP certainly a good point concerning the fitness level of most of us. I enjoy Man vs Wild. In one episode Bear Grylls climbs these hanging vines basically using his arms about 100 ft.. Shoot there aren't .001 % of people who could do that. Especially those over 30.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Not long returned from a 8 mile walk with a 55lb (25kilo) pack.

Terrain: Streets, flat.
Time taken: 2hours 25minutes

Some points for your consideration:

i) If you plan on doing a lot of walking make sure your legs won't chaff. Maybe tight-fitting cycling shorts. If anyone has better ideas please tell me, I'm sore!

ii) Decent boots. After my last reccy I decided to try another pair of boots out. Steel toe cap, so not ideal, but worn with a good pair of socks. No. Very sore feet. If this was a real sitX i'm dead. Am I going to have to suck it up and get a pair of decent boots or do I just need to wear more socks?

iii) Even though my feet gave out before my thighs before my shoulders I can't help think that 55lbs might be too heavy. Granted, this is my first time out with a near-full pack and more walks will sort that fitness level out, however. I might have to rethink a few things.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Concrete Tabing / endurance marching isn't nice on your feet.
I wear army boots with steel toe caps but they are comfortable.
Try and intersperce it with softerground as well.
8 miles is a good benchmark, well done.
I can remember the CFTs (8 milers) back in the day, after finishing them we'd all have to do a days work as well! :O Never did like that part

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I work out 4 times a week cardio and weights. 25% for vanity 25% for survival 25% because I just enjoy it and it relieves stress and 25% for health although all of that could change on any given day depending on what I'm thinking about or how the day went. lol I could definatly run for quite a while if I had to or carry a pack or hike a long distance. I'm certainly strong enough to fight or lift something heavy and I think my body could take a beating and still keep going.

You know what they say... the best workout is the one that you'll actually do on a regular basis.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
Is there a good reason to be hiking/backpacking once the x hits the fan? Where would you be going? On a mass exedus to a nearbye city? With hundreds of thousdands of other people? Where you increase your chance of being picked up by MP's or Militia or killed just because your in the way? Or to stay in your home where (hopefully) you have stored enough food and essentials to last you thoughout a crisis.

This probably is the best advice for most who aren't used to physical labor. If you survive the trek to a wilderness area that's only half the battle. You're going to have to cut, haul and split lots of wood. You'll run out of small stuff quick. Without a chainsaw you need lots of muscle. Look for areas with stands of dead trees nearby green wood is harder to cut and will need to dry over time. If you have to haul water from a source that can get pretty heavy too.

That's just fuel and water. I'm in the country already we've got all the tools and the know how. I'm sure many here would do great but if you have any doubts why put yourself at risk.

Great topic something worth considering.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
I have read, and agree with, the information that when the # hits the fan it is best to stay at your home instead of wandering the wilderness with a backpack.

There are several reasons to support this.

Is there a good reason to be hiking/backpacking once the x hits the fan? Where would you be going? On a mass exedus to a nearbye city? With hundreds of thousdands of other people? Where you increase your chance of being picked up by MP's or Militia or killed just because your in the way? Or to stay in your home where (hopefully) you have stored enough food and essentials to last you thoughout a crisis.

What can the woods provide you that the cities cant? Protection from the military, from martial law, from mass looting and rioting? Perhaps- but if it comes to that- do you really want to struggle to survive like the first american settlers did in the middle of nowhere with little or no modern food or shelter?

I am mentally prepared to stay in my house. If I need to leave my home- id rather be shot and killed than endure the trauma of relocating to whatever god forsake location anyone with a gun bigger than mine has in store for me.

Have to agree...

Unfortunately, I have no other option, haveing lost my leg above the knee several years ago. I cannot hike with my prostetic. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise though, for I am in the exact same position as you, with the same defenses.

The rest of my family is in no condition for wilderness suvival neither. So I'm just doing my best to stockpile canned goods, and water. Also working on a garden, as soon as it warms up just a touch. Have a decent sized backyard, with nothing back there anymore. Lot's of space for a good sized garden.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Nola213]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join