It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You just aint fit enough!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hello all,

As normal I like to spark a good old debate regarding survival, I started thinking today. Now we all talk about hiking a good 30K when SitX kicks in, plus the fact that we're probably carrying 20-40Kg of gear with; well this made me think are we actually fit enough?

Physically could our bodies perform the demands we would strive to put on them in SitX and does anyone actually train in the gym or whatever to prepare for when the need arise's to bug out?

Fitness is in my oppinion equally as important as equipment and knowledge, whats everyones oppinon on this?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Are we just talking about physical fitness here?

or mental fitness as well?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Mentally yes my husband and I are prepared. Physically? We are working on it. We actually started a month ago due to a conversation we had as to how funny it would be to see us carrying our Bobs and possibly at times the kids if we had to leave our home. Then we got serious. Once it starts getting warmer we will start hiking with the kids to help get them used to walking on odd turf should the need arrive.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
My GF is another story. But I planned for that too.

As for myself, I've been a martial artist for 20 of my almost 25 years of life. I am physically and mentally fit and have seen what amount to war zones in my day. I have been under fire and have had to make quick decisions in the process. I also know what it's like to live in 3rd world countries, I was born in one.

I'm teaching my girl-friend everything I know about martial arts and how to handle firearms. How to kill silently, how to cover her tracks, and how to stay alive in low resource conditions. But alas I am not the rule I am the exception. As far as mental fitness is concerned. Both of us know the score. Although i'd say that in a sitX scenario I'd be a crutch for her for some time.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by projectvxn]

[edit on 25-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I am not sure whether 'we' actually need to be in peak physical fitness to be honest in these kinds of scenarios. Obviously it would help to be so, but I dont think its an absolute neccessity.

It is very surprising what punishment the human body and mind can endure when it is under severe stress and strain. As the drill instructors always say ''Its mind over matter''. Danger and andrenaline are great motivators.

For most average 'Joe's', achieving military type fitness levels are beyond them unless you are already an extreme/outdoors sports person.

Another thing to consider ...... families. It is no good being an olympic athlete when having a couple of 'young-uns' and the missus in tow behind you ....... you are only as fast as the slowest person in your group.

Personally, I would say, being healthy (medically speaking) is more of a priority than being athletically fit.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I agree with this to an extent. If you're going to bailout I guarantee there will be obstacles. The best thing to do is find the road less traveled and don't go out of your way to for a conflict. if you can't avoid conflict, kill quietly. If you can't do that. Kill loudly and pray.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
Are we just talking about physical fitness here?

or mental fitness as well?

I'm talking physical fitness, mental strength is a feature that most of the posters appear to have on the survival forums, but would they make it physically?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
I am not sure whether 'we' actually need to be in peak physical fitness to be honest in these kinds of scenarios. Obviously it would help to be so, but I dont think its an absolute neccessity.

It is very surprising what punishment the human body and mind can endure when it is under severe stress and strain. As the drill instructors always say ''Its mind over matter''. Danger and andrenaline are great motivators.

For most average 'Joe's', achieving military type fitness levels are beyond them unless you are already an extreme/outdoors sports person.

Another thing to consider ...... families. It is no good being an olympic athlete when having a couple of 'young-uns' and the missus in tow behind you ....... you are only as fast as the slowest person in your group.

Personally, I would say, being healthy (medically speaking) is more of a priority than being athletically fit.

I agree 100%, but from your post it sounds like your ex-military. I'm sure you could push yourself harder than most average folk because of this, you don't need to be military fit to survive... although the fitter you are the more its going to help.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Excellent question. I have talked about this in another thread. You need to actually train with your BOB on, to actually get an idea of what it would be like. Walk,hike,jog, or treadmill. Don't for one second think that your mental toughness will get you anywhere.

Most average Americans have the mental toughness of a worm. If you aren't in any physical shape now, you obviously are mentally weak already for allowing your current condition. Now add the stress of a horrific sit x and a family and the essentials you need....you're screwed.

Our military trains daily just to be able to actually let the repetition of training kick in, which will override the fear of death being put into you. Their training is the only thing to save them. Any documentary you watch, the soldier tells how at first he was scared to death then his training kicked in.

there are some people who are an exception to the rule, but most people aren't prepared. So if you want to be I suggest,above all, getting off your cans and work on your cardio and do some push ups, pull ups and focus on your core (stomach and back) because if you can't handle your own weight, then you yourself are just another bag for someone in your family to carry.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I don't disagree with the possibility of SitX but I don't understand the need to hike 30k a day? Did I misread that?

Elaborate

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I am very physically fit.
I have done alot of sports and still do.I am a bit of a freak as I am the guy who never gets sore.
I did 170 kms last summer while drinking beer in 32 degree weather and wasn't hungover or sore.85km 1 way and 85 km back in under 24 hrs...theres my fun.
I drank a bit too much beer this winter tho.

Forgot to add that we did that on bikes with 40 lbs on our back.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Nah,I am not fit for a 30K trek. Once, yes, I could go with the best, but years and mind set have changed that. I do not worry about sitx as I will be staying put.

Someone has to stay behind to ensure that those in pursuit are hindered, however little that may be. And to cover tracks, supply dis-info, and generally be a pain in the rear.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrytyes

Nah,I am not fit for a 30K trek. Once, yes, I could go with the best, but years and mind set have changed that. I do not worry about sitx as I will be staying put.

Someone has to stay behind to ensure that those in pursuit are hindered, however little that may be. And to cover tracks, supply dis-info, and generally be a pain in the rear.

Great answer. I might have to stay to help you just for being so down to earth and at terms of where you are at life. Gotta love wisdom.

& a S

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Don't neglect the fast-twitch muscles. Having endurance is great but you also need to be capable of short-term rapid movement. Get some sprint/hill training in your regime.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I have read, and agree with, the information that when the # hits the fan it is best to stay at your home instead of wandering the wilderness with a backpack.

There are several reasons to support this.

Is there a good reason to be hiking/backpacking once the x hits the fan? Where would you be going? On a mass exedus to a nearbye city? With hundreds of thousdands of other people? Where you increase your chance of being picked up by MP's or Militia or killed just because your in the way? Or to stay in your home where (hopefully) you have stored enough food and essentials to last you thoughout a crisis.

What can the woods provide you that the cities cant? Protection from the military, from martial law, from mass looting and rioting? Perhaps- but if it comes to that- do you really want to struggle to survive like the first american settlers did in the middle of nowhere with little or no modern food or shelter?

I am mentally prepared to stay in my house. If I need to leave my home- id rather be shot and killed than endure the trauma of relocating to whatever god forsake location anyone with a gun bigger than mine has in store for me.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

At least you have a gun.I have to stay fit so I can run to the hills.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You're absolutely right.

One of the common themes that I see in these posts is people that have their guns and their BOBs and they think they are ready.

If you've got a true sitX and everone hits the road, the roads are going to be jammed.

How are people really expecting to get out of the cities. If you're carrying all your gear, you've got a big load. Guns, ammo, and food are heavy.

That's why I'm staying put. I'm not running for the hills because it just becomes too impractical for me. To last anything more than a week or two will take planning and a good stash of supplies.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

That's why I'm staying put.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Good plan.

Knowing your ground makes it easier to hold your ground. Heading off into the wilderness is an option for those who know how to survive there and it takes a lot more than planning, it takes practice.

Toting a heavy load of gear into unfamiliar territory will make you fair game to those who ARE familiar with it but are perhaps on the hunt for more supplies.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

I will do my best to keep 'em off'n your tail, should you decide to go. Depending on your location, I could probably point you in the right direction...

However, I'll take my chances here, in Tucson. If nothing else, I can throw rocks at the helios chasing after ya.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Planning is absolutely essential.
Whats everybody waiting for???
If its time to leave then get the hell out of the city and know where you are going,have aplan and be in shape.
(points finger)
Stay in school and don't do drugs!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join