It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat kids should be removed from home; Fat parents not allowed children

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I've got one point. When or if TSHTF, and people start starving, how many more weeks could a fat man live than a non fat man. The extra pounds are stored calories. A portable pantry on your thighs so to speak.

There is nothing wrong with being fat. Unless you can not walk.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I will answer you!
A fat man will die quicker than the person with normal weight...
Th last will have a good chance to survive actually
))
A fat man has amassed tonns of toxins and when you starve, all these toxins will start getting out and you will die very very quickly - from your own poison!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Cuhail, I can agree with what your saying, but then who qualifies this licensing program?...Having lived in Chicagoland for 10yrs or so before we moved to NZ and then Colorado...there is no way I would trust Illinois DCFS to be the arbitrator of "good parenting" or any state sponsored child welfare institution...

Not sure what drives these agencies, but child welfare in most cases seems to be the furthest thing from what they are trying to accomplish.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Russi

I hate to look at it that way. I mean, everyone dies. The fat, the thin, the healthy, the less-than-healthy.

I'm happy with my few extra pounds. If I could only move them to different places.

Cuhail

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

And THAT, my friend, is far more "Orwellian" than the problem that they are tasked to overcome.
Strange, isn't it.

YOU definitely understand what I'm saying. Being a former Chicagoan, you know how Illinois Hypocracy works!

Cuhail

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I don't even know where to start....

Eating healthy is too expensive? Bull. Veggies are cheaper than doritoes. A weeks worth or high protein low fat chicken costs about as much as a meal for 3 at mcdonalds. It's not price, its that peple are too lazy to actuall raise a garden or cook their own meals.

It's a right to have a child? What about my right to live in a world where the poverties passed on by an irresponsible, narcisistic population dont infringe on my life?

Obesity not intentionally passed down? I cant even tough that one, it is so foolish. Passing down life habits is absolutely intentionally done. But once again, people are too foolish to consider long term affects.

What I find appalling more than anything else in this thread is the amount of people that are actually ADVOCATING the abuse of children through malnutrition, purely because "it is there right". Funny thing is, right are supposed to not infringe on the rights of others. Isn't passing down these habits infringing on the rights of a child, and therefore, wouldn't the child's rights supersede the self-centered idea that you have a right to destroy a child?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Not all people who are overweight can be classified as a lazy person or a gluttonous consumer for pleasure. Like anything in life there are countless reasons as to why people might be a certain way. It could be depression, medical reasons, a hatred of themselves, a crutch for stressful situations or just heavier by nature.
Instead of just automatically judging them as unfit people why not try to think about what they might be dealing with in their life that got them to the point they are at. Not all people who are overweight started out like that as a kid. I've known people who were average weight up until their late 20's before they started putting on extra weight. So if they had kids in their 20's but in their 30's they put on a lot of weight for whatever reason it is a justifiable thing to remove the kid??
I would like to take some "skinny" person who thinks anyone overweight is just lazy and drop an extra 100 lbs on them and see how long they last doing their daily schedule of chores and work before they collapse on the floor.
There are way to many factors for anyone to step in and make rules for who can or cannot raise a child. Nobodies life is perfect and life is chaotic by nature, always changing for good or bad. If you think you can take a snapshot of another persons life and make a correct judgment of their ability to be a parent then you need to go apply for a job as some deity cause obviously you have been given greater power than anyone else on earth.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Not all people who are overweight are obese either. I am speaking in terms of obesity as a health issue, not weight as a matter of judgement. I am speaking of morbid obesity, not someone whose a bit chubby/hefty.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
as far as i can tell there is only one reason that a child is obese, it's because their parents are feeding them too much of the wrong thing and not encouraging exercise. it's as simple as that. there is nothing else to it.

lot's of kids might get a little chubby by nature, it happens, but let's not pretend that there is anything in nature that will make a child obese if they are fed a decent diet and allowed to exercise.

parents can be as fat as they like, they are adults, but forcing your child to be obese is just plain wrong.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
as far as i can tell there is only one reason that a child is obese, it's because their parents are feeding them too much of the wrong thing and not encouraging exercise. it's as simple as that. there is nothing else to it.

lot's of kids might get a little chubby by nature, it happens, but let's not pretend that there is anything in nature that will make a child obese if they are fed a decent diet and allowed to exercise.

parents can be as fat as they like, they are adults, but forcing your child to be obese is just plain wrong.

Thankfully, someone logical decides to show up

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I for one am fed up with people believing i am overweight because i eat to much.

I am on the corticosteroid prednisone for sarcoidosis and neurosarcoidosis.
the most common side affect of prednisone is weight gain.
I also have fibromyalgia caused by sarcoidosis.

I eat less then 100 gm carbs a day and can just barely control weight gain.

Don't give me the BS that i need more exercise because i am just one step from needing a wheelchair because of the pain of the neurosarcoidosis and fibro and any more exercise just puts me down in bed because of the pain.

And one last thing i don't need to hear is all the quack treatments that people come up with.

Watch some idiot will post one here.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Aside from this suggestion comepletely infringing on both the parents and childrens rights, I have to say it is none of our business what people do to themselves or teach their children.

If people want to eat their lives away thats their choice albeit a poorly made choice. We have no right to tell them how to live their lives.

Governments have tried the whole "do this or die" approach and they've failed miserably. People like choice they can make, not one that are made for them.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

What is your view of an obese kid? Proportion of say a 10 year old boy?

I was a chunky little kid at age 10 and ate beef n veggies every night. Played in all sports too. Still was chunky tho. By the age of 15 or so, I lost all of it and graduated weighing 165 lbs at 6'1". Hell, I think at 10 I weighed 140 or so....kids grow out of it sometimes! If the warmongers took me away from my parents when I was 10, I would have become a holy terror and probably got a lot "fatter".

At 37, I am now 210 lbs and like my bluebell......Am I obese? Wanna take my daughter away? She likes bluebell too and lots of it (with oreos, peanuts, marshmellows, etc, inside of it).

I would love to see someone try to take her away from me........

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There is not one solution to obesity. It is quite complicated. It is not just calories in calories out.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. People have eating disorders for different reasons. I always tell people dieting is 90% mental. You have to figure out why you are overeating.

A lot is emotional, a lot is tired, some is medical.
You crave sugar when you are tired, which is why people eat sweets late at night. And Americans are horribly sleep deprived. We have the highest instance of sleep disorders.

One issue I call is the clean plate syndrome. Where parents forced children to go beyond their recongition of being full and finish their plates. Then they lose all ability to recongize what they need to eat and when.

So you over eat, because you were forced to learn to eat beyond that full feeling. The mechanism is over ridden.

As for misinformation, there are many parents who think they are doing the right thing.
A lot of food portrays itself as healthy when it isn't. Mac n cheese. Made of real dairy! No nutritional value.

A lot of food parades itself as healthy when it isn't.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Angrylightbulb
I would like to take some "skinny" person who thinks anyone overweight is just lazy and drop an extra 100 lbs on them and see how long they last doing their daily schedule of chores and work before they collapse on the floor.

I'm a very lean 6'2 guy, and I've been weight training and learning the basics of kickboxing lately.

When I strap on ankle and chest weights and get going, I always almost instantly start thinking about how incredibly hard it must be for obese people to get around. It would definitely create a downward spiral for me, after a short time with the extra weight my couch sounds greatly more appealing.

I can also somewhat relate to the social prejudice and assumptions, I have been picked on for being thin most of my life. I've had people ask me if I have an eating disorder, drug habit, terminal illness etc relating to my weight. I've been commanded loudly to "eat a $#% sandwich" in public multiple times.
And I'm not even that thin, more like height-weight proportionate! I think there is a natural tendency toward discouraging and belittling competing attributes, so it's kind of absurd to expect social attitudes to change in any way that isn't self gratifying. It's FAR more productive and sane to stick to changing things about ourselves we don't like.

All that said, consuming the quantities of calories required to become obese could NEVER be cheaper than healthy food. That is one of the most pathetic arguments for obesity ever, maybe the most pathetic.
All the statistics available show that this problem has NOTHING to do with the price of healthy food. I don't make much money, so I'm forced to eat cheaper, healthier foods. So I'm stuck with being thin and height weight proportionate, I just couldn't possibly afford the amount of calories required to maintain obesity. See, it's so absurd that THE OPPOSITE is actually true!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadbang
The OP sounds alot like some college kids that sat behind us in a resturant a month or so ago...

let me preface this with, my wife and I are 46 & 43 respectively and have 8 kids (yours, mine and ours)..

So a booth full of our bright future were sitting behind us at a resturant and we overheard part of a discussion regarding overpopulation etc...and one of the brain trust said "people should have a license to breed" and then the philosophical blather commenced on how this would be nutted out.

After about 10mins of listening to this, I spun around in our booth and point blank asked them and which one of you mental giants will be the decider of who breeds? and added that they should crack a history book, the idea has been tried to overwhelming failure...ever heard of China and their one child policy?

Unfortunately this must be where their preofessor concluded session for the day, as not a one of like I said, our bright future had any answer for me.

OP your idea, your thought, your prejudice is ridiculus...

I love hearing stories like this!

I think the OP stated there was a bit of irony involved in the post, yet she failed to make that clear until several people responded with answers that probably weren't what she was looking for.

If you're going to make a thread like that on ATS make sure your intentions are CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Anywho, as has been stated before, I agree if the kid is over 200 lbs and not even hit puberty, then that is something that should be checked out, but until then, if the kid wants cake let him have cake, if mom wants ice cream let her have ice cream dammit!

I know for one, my dad who owns his own business, works 7 days a week till God only knows when, used to get up at 4 in the morning to go ride his bike, he'd try to work out as much as possible with his schedule... then he had a heart attack.

No one has the right to tell anyone what to do and what not to do, and just because someone chooses not to do something doesn't mean they should persecuted, or like in the OP's case, have their children taken away from them and/or be banned from having children in the first place.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
While I understand the point being made, it's obvious there are levels of fascism even among the ranks of the "ATS" crowd/seekers of truth. All it takes is the particular subject to come up in some way (real life, online, news article, etc.) and the fuse gets lit. In the end, it damages the search for truth more than it forwards an agenda for a better world.

(Then again, I am new here, so this may be the OP's M.O.)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sadisticwoman

Oh you think this counts as child abuse do you? If you really think that this is, I beg the differ. Let's just say, I've seen firsthand what REAL child abuse is, and this doesn't even come close. Get a life.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
My husband works out like crazy. Every single night for a couple of hours, and that is the least he's done in his life. When he was younger he used to do a lot more. He has high cholesteral and high blood pressure. He eats very healthy.

I on the other hand could stand to lose a few pounds, but I have no medical problems whatsoever. I do exercise, but not excessively.

I think it's a matter of your genes on whether or not you are healthy. Don't think every overweight person you see is plagued with medical problems. It simply isn't true.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
"If you do not excersize, if you do not eat veggies, you are unfit to have children."

so lack of exercise and vegetable consumption automatically leads to obesity?

*looks at scale* hmmmm only 150 lbs. Your logic seems a little flawed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join