It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY cartoon appears to link Obama to dead chimp

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
How many of you actually heard the CNN man on there reading off what a Minister whom was Black had written about how the Negr0s which is what he used as a word came from chimps. It also stated that they were so much smarter then other monkeys and animals that they were the only ones that could speak to Adama and eve and in fact taught them to speak. Yet I dont see anyone posting that, I guess it means that the Blacks are far more intelligent then any other race? Due to the fact that they came down from Monkeys and the rest of us didnt. Yet this was a good thing on CNN. I have to say that there are 2 parts to every story but we all saw it from work and were very upset that some Black Minister that knows Obama real well would even state that.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
No doubt this is a mistake, wandering into a thread like this.

The only thing I want to point out is to the people who are arguing about what the chimp was supposed to represent: keep in mind the target audience and the context of the cartoon, which was the New York Post.

If we did a sampling of headlines about the stimulus package from the NYPost, what percent do you think would include the words "Obama Stimulus Package"?

One Example

Whether or not he personally had anything to do with planning or writing the bill, he is who the Post has directly linked to the stimulus plan. The cartoon occurs in that context, not in the context of a bunch of politically-astute ATSers who immediately start to wonder just who exactly did pen the plan.

To think that the cartoonist (who does after all draw cartoons for the Post for a living) was not aware that the link made in the minds of readers would be to President Obama, is disingenuous.

Whether the cartoon is offensive, or racist, or anything else, I'm not going to say. I think the Post generally is both offensive and racist, so what does one cartoon matter

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
the implicit communication that Obama be shot or "put down" for the stimulus bill. ... coupled with the latent racism .

1 - The paper shouldn't have, even in political cartoon jest, coupled the POTUS with being shot. That's VERY wrong.

2 - It wasn't racist. Bush has been called a chimp - even by some people here - for 8+ years.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

2 - It wasn't racist. Bush has been called a chimp - even by some people here - for 8+ years.

Yes, but they have convinced themselves its only wrong if you're black, because some guy a hundred years ago compared black people to monkeys. To compare white people to monkeys is just fine....

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
interesting and suprised......the "artist" should have had a sign around the chimps neck labeling who they thought he was.........i.e congress or whatever there intent was........this hitting the paper seems extremely strange or and editor was asleep at the wheel?

perhaps this is just part of the social process of dividing and conquering the u.s...distracting us thru a possible escalation of race wars........doing something anything to channel people's anger away from the gov't /wall street and onto eachother.........think about it

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Being black myself I ask you all how can you not see the blatant racism. Referring to a black man as a chimp isn't racist? oh thats right they didn't exactly say it was obama. Maybe they didn't say it was him so it could be interpreted in different ways. Of course thats all crap. And when you compare bush to a chimp it has nothing to do with the color of his skin it's intelligence level. Which I assume we all believe Obama is a tad bit more intelligent than bush so it is obviously an attack on the color of his skin. To call this anything other than racism is absurd.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63
Being black myself I ask you all how can you not see the blatant racism. Referring to a black man as a chimp isn't racist? oh thats right they didn't exactly say it was obama. Maybe they didn't say it was him so it could be interpreted in different ways. Of course thats all crap. And when you compare bush to a chimp it has nothing to do with the color of his skin it's intelligence level. Which I assume we all believe Obama is a tad bit more intelligent than bush so it is obviously an attack on the color of his skin. To call this anything other than racism is absurd.

Why isn't it racism when people compare Bush to a monkey? Weren't Blacks compared to chimps based on their perceived intelligence? When they compare his facial features to that of a monkey, is it not the same thing?

Isn't that a racist double standard? Arent you just trying to justify YOUR brand of racism?

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Kyūzō]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
what a lot of noise about basically nothing. "so easy a chimp could do it" is not a racial statement. bush was called a chimp for years because of the faces he made. people need to get over themselves about this. seriously. we have bigger problems than some cartoon in some rag that some perceive to have some racial overtones. this country is becoming more and more of a pathetic joke.

and what's more of a joke is how easily the MSM can so many around by the noses, not only telling them what to talk about it but even what to say. but pardon me if i no longer find this even remotely amusing.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The chimp would be congress and the racist are too blind to even think about it

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yay. just desserts taste the sweetest

link   
Yay. just desserts taste the sweetest

link   
The way I see it is, the stimulus will be a monkey on all our backs for a very long time.
Personally I think they should have put lipstick on the chimp.

Considering that there are 3 species of Ape that may somehow be evolutionarilly tied to the 3 races of Man, I think a more accurate depiction would have been to use a Gorilla in the cartoon.
Then, the claims of racism would have merit.

What I see here is nothing but hypocrisy, seems I remember not too very long ago we had another President always being depicted as a Chimp.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Alxandro]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I had avoided participating in this thread because of principle.

1 - I was among those who saw the cartoon and DID NOT perceive it as a spurious racial reference. In fact, I didn't even consider the possibility that President Obama was somehow a subject of the parody.

2 - I DID however, find it to be a jab at all those legislators who spent all their time 'adding' crap to the bill.

3 - I suspect that this cartoon presented an opportunity for those who saw racial 'relaxation' as contrary to their fundamental message.

4 - One's perception of the cartoon comes from within. If you see 'race' issues everywhere; how can you stand to exist in this world at all?

5 - Occasionally, one should practice the art of accepting that one's own sensitivities do not necessarily rule the world around you.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63
how can you not see the blatant racism. Referring to a black man as a chimp isn't racist?

Oh please.
Hypersensitivity. The last POTUS was called a chimp. This POTUS just had a political cartoon equating him with a chimp. It's a POTUS thing. Not a black thing.

Newsflash - not everyone is obsessed with skin color.

when you compare bush to a chimp it has nothing to do with the color of his skin it's intelligence level.

Ditto Obama. He's a bildeberger tool. Nothing more.

To call this anything other than racism is absurd.

Actually, to assume that it is racism is absurd.

The only thing out of place was having a POTUS in a political cartoon with a gun and the implication that someone should do the same thing to the POTUS that was done to the chimp. That was over the line.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You're exactly right, we should be looking at this as they are comparing a SPECIES against another its got nothing to do with colour..

If people would just drop that issue then it wouldn't be such a bloody problem! Millions of people are way past the issues of race its narrow minded idiots who still think the colour of your skin matters and that outdated stupidly coined terms from way back when are still relevant today..

MOVE WITH THE TIMES!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This cartoon is not racist. It is portraying the author of the stimulus bill as being no more intelligent than pan troglodyte, our cousin the chimp. Black, white, red, or yellow, we all share common genetics with CHIMPS!

Get over it people, blacks are descended from chimps, whites are descended from chimps, we are all GREAT APES!

OOOOOHOOOOHAHHHHAHHHH! GIVE ME A BANANA!

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I think that the association of government officials with a chimp, is a grave insult..... to all chimps worldwide.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, everyone's fair game and if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

And, posting both of those was necessary....why?

They are both offensive, and we should all be able to rise above BS like that.

:shk:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

If he only posted the Obama one, people would've called him racist.

And I'll be rising above this bs, as soon as those in power start doing that to.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join