It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY cartoon appears to link Obama to dead chimp

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hell Howard Cosell just called me and even he said it was racist.

I tell my kids Monkey see Monkey do. Monkey gets in trouble too.

Should I stop doing that for fear of being called a racist?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
As a lifetime resident of New York's Long Island, a major area of distribution for the NY Post, let me just say that in my experience the Post is THE trashiest New York metro area daily. It's about a half step away from being a tabloid. No, I don't work for some other paper, or have some fierce political affiliation that makes me feel this way.
What I'm saying is: know your sources before you start giving a sh*t about what they say.

Personally I find the cartoon tasteless and ignorant, but I would expect nothing less from the Post.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
"If you have any poo, now is the time to throw it!"

What goes around comes around. I would like to thank those who posted pictures of President Bush being depicted as a Chimp.

I have said many times that no matter what your political affiliation, the Presidency should not be denigrated. The damage cannot be reversed.

LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Clinton, and yes Bush, all did damage to the Presidency. That damage is long lasting and will take generations to overcome.

For eight years, the Left threw everything they could at President Bush, Congress, and the Country in general. Now that they are on top, they want to call a truce and declare that the Presidency, Congress, and the Nation should not be political targets. Oops! The damage is done folks.

The Democrats may not like it, but President Obama is going to be compared to President Bush for his entire administration. If he excels, that comparison will work in his favor. If he stumbles, being compared to a Chimp will be the least of his worries.

Those who live in straw houses, should not throw poo.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Oh my god. It's a friggin' CARTOON. Since when are political cartoons expected to be the bastion of intellectual humour and good taste? A cartoon signals the crossing of the line of decency of political satire/coverage? Have you watched television in the past 10 years? Seriously, Some of you guys need to come over for a bong sesh, man. Take the edge off.

Boo hooo. A politician should NEVER be compared to a monkey, and ESPECIALLY never be depicted as being shot. Not the people who toss around our livelihoods and lives like they're playing a game of Risk...

Sure the cartoon is in poor taste, so what? It was a cheap laugh, you guys have never told a dirty joke, or never laughed at "a priest, rabbi...." jokes, etc? I guess this cartoon will distract everyone from the real cheap laugh...the one the ptb are having while they are tacking more and more crap onto this bill, giving more money to corporate failures and their buddies, etc etc...all the while people are busy lamenting over poor president Obama who hasn't been given a chance and one chimp who got shot.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by Alxandro

And, posting both of those was necessary....why?

They are both offensive, and we should all be able to rise above BS like that.

:shk:

actually, it was necessary. its amazing how people's perception of the insult will change given the subject and their feelings for it. Its obvious through this thread, but also in real life.

but like anything, its only funny until they start lampooning something you take seriously. then its obviously crap and hateful.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is the stupidest thing ever. Remember Barry Sanders? He was once asked why he didn't celebrate when he score a touchdown. His response: "I act like I'm supposed to be there." It's time for a specific segment of our population to take a page from Sanders' book. We have a black guy in the white house. He was put there by white people. ACT LIKE YOU BELONG THERE.

Furthermore, since when does a President write a bill? You would figure Sharpton would know the difference between those who WROTE the bill and HE who signs it.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So far I haven't seen anyone make the point that Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter were often drawn with chimp like facial features in the New York Times, Washington Post, etc.

Jimmy Carter was also depicted with a whip in his hand. This was a subtle way to call him a Cracker. As in Georgia Cracker, which is a racial slur here in Georgia. In fact calling a white guy a Cracker is equal to calling a black guy a Nigger. That is under Georgia Law and both terms are considered hate speach (rightly so) and are "fighting words". Which means that if you call someone one of these names and they punch you in the nose, the law says that you provoked the attack.

OK, so Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and George Bush have been drawn as chimps or apes of some kind or other. Now comes Barrack Obama and it's suddenly noticed that depicting the POTUS as a chimp is a "racial slur"? Give me a break!

I have said this before, but can't we expect our President to be an adult and to be strong enough to withstand some name calling? Those who held the office before, have endured this and worse. I

f Obama is not able to withstand some satire in the US press, how is he going to react to the world press? I have no doubt that newspapers in South America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East will do much more than depict Obama as a chimp.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think everyone immediately jumping to the conclusion that this is racist is probably the one who should be looking in the mirror asking themselves why their mind jumped right to racism. The president didn't write the bill so assuming it's Obama is already a folly. It's a metaphor and I would expect readers of the times and readers of any political cartoon to know that political cartoons are meant to inspire thought and one of those ways is through metaphor. This metaphor being a buncha chimps in a room with a typewriter.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Everyone is totally missing the boat. The cartoon has nothing to do with Obama. Why do you think it does? Because it's a monkey? Obama didn't write that bill. It's more along the lines of "It's so dumb, an ape could have written it." Or possibly "If you put enough chimps in a room, one of them is bound to type a decent stimulus bill." TS jumped the gun. Total and complete ignorance. It seems as though people want to find prejudice in every possible statement against Obama.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Wow, so you guys really don't see the racism in the cartoon. Believe me they have the right to print what ever they want I have no say and I won't shed a tear but you guys won't even admit that they are hinting at racism. Have any of you ever played an xbox before? If you have then i'm sure you've heard the amount of racism used by "young" people. Maybe its because I have felt racism face to face why I feel I can tell the difference. And please don't call me sensitive for simply pointing things out. Did I call for a ban on the paper or anything? I simply stated my opinions on the subject. Many black people do play the race card and alot of the time it is warrented*.

Are you all saying that racism does not still exist in America? Or that it doesn't exist in the media? Or what about in the heads of white people everywhere? Just because it's gone underground does not mean it doesn't exist.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by skoalman88
This is the stupidest thing ever. Remember Barry Sanders? He was once asked why he didn't celebrate when he score a touchdown. His response: "I act like I'm supposed to be there." It's time for a specific segment of our population to take a page from Sanders' book. We have a black guy in the white house. He was put there by white people. ACT LIKE YOU BELONG THERE.

Furthermore, since when does a President write a bill? You would figure Sharpton would know the difference between those who WROTE the bill and HE who signs it.

Actually He was put there by American people. People in the media know "It's not what you say, It's how you say it" You don't think they realize that the toon could be perceived in different ways? And what exactly do you mean by "ACT LIKE YOU BELONG THERE" What does my criticism of a newspaper have to do with Obama being president? Why would you make pointless comments and put them in capitol letters. Who are you "yelling" at? Are you trying to scold black people?

ps:Why don't you look up the statistics of black votes this election vs.
other elections.

edit: While I may be new to posting here I've been an on and off lurker for some years now. I never thought I'd see the day when ats members were defending the media. Thats just weird.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by ScRuFFy63]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by mental modulator
Barack the magic negro

Referring to Barack Obama, "The Magic Negro" was a title coined by a liberal columnist writing for the Los Angeles Times, one of the biggest Left-wing news outlets in the country. You have a problem with it, take it up with the liberal flakes in LA.

Originally posted by mental modulator
A regional party of corrupt, big spending racists...

You're talking about Southern Democrats, right? Historically, the Democrat Party defended slavery, gave rise to the KKK, fought desegregation and opposed black Civil Rights for over a hundred years, right up to the late 1960s. The Republican Party, on the other hand, emancipated the slaves and proposed every important piece of Civil Rights legislation in American history.

Got education?

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/19/2009 by Doc Velocity]

As far as BARRACK t m n - it seems fitting that FOX was the only outlet to defend the song....

YA and that piece of history fails to point out the fact that the electoral map was forever changed. Where the racist constituency was then being represented by the GOP...
As the GOP became the party to attempt a vote down on MLK day.

If you guys still think you are the party of Lincoln and Republic, I would suggest finding new leaders and candidates...

But like I said, you keep trying to press your shoulders firmly to your butt cheeks,
cause you guys already look like a bowl full of pretzels.

Good luck in 10 -12 and beyond

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScRuFFy63
edit: While I may be new to posting here I've been an on and off lurker for some years now. I never thought I'd see the day when ats members were defending the media. Thats just weird.

You're just upset because the majority disagree with you on this subject. Get over it. I recall EVERYBODY chiming in that it's RIDICULOUS to be overly sensitive to political cartoons back when the muslims were rioting and wanted to kill the artist who depicted their beloved prophet. Get over it.

Do you WANT racism to continue? I think so.

Perhaps it's upsetting to some that they've lost their grounds to complain nonstop and obsess over skin color, and they are desperately trying to cling to whatever "racism" they think they can find and cry about. Maybe Al Sharpton can get a real job now.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
you know, i just got screamed at at lunch by a black coworker because i expressed the opinion when this matter came up that the cartoon was not racist...literally screamed at that i don't have the right to an opinion until i've walked a mile in her shoes. i guess she meant her black shoes. so let me think...hmmm...she's an umpteenth generation American. i'm first. she grew up middle class. i grew up poor. well hey i could go on but i didn't say a word and held my toungye and now i'll just say here (thanks for letting me vent)...please spare me. racism or perceived racism is going to exist in this country as long as some people keep giving it power and drawing attention that comes with corresponding hate along to it. whoever said act like you belong here? i so agree.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by merryxmas
The president didn't write the bill so assuming it's Obama is already a folly. It's a metaphor and I would expect readers of the times and readers of any political cartoon to know that political cartoons are meant to inspire thought and one of those ways is through metaphor. This metaphor being a buncha chimps in a room with a typewriter.

This cartoon was published in the New York Post, so we should assume that was the target audience.

The New York Post has all along been referring to "Obama's Stimulus Package", as has much of the media. Obama is the name that is associated in the minds of most people with the stimulus package, regardless of whether or not he wrote it.

A little way back, I linked to a New York Post headline saying "Senate Passes Obama Stimulus Package" – that's the association that has been made in the particular media outlet involved.

Assuming it's Obama is natural given the context.

EDIT: to add that the people who are going on and on about how this isn't racist are completely ignoring the point that *the POTUS is being compared to a chimp who went crazy and had to be put down*

It's not only offensive on racial grounds – it is offensive because suggesting that the president should be shot is not appropriate for any news media, cartoon or no.

[edit on 2/19/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ScRuFFy63

I don't think that being exposed to racism makes you or anyone else more insightfull into the issue. We are all exposed to racism, everyday. At least those of us who venture outside our own house and interact with the general public.

You are a minority and therefore you are exposed to racism. I am a white guy and therefore you would say that racism does not affect me. I would tell you that you are wrong.

When I first moved to Atlanta, 20 years ago, I applied for a job with the city. They used a merit system and so, the person who had the most qualifications for a job, must be offered the job. I had some typing skills and so I applied for a job as a key punch operator. I scored the highest points on the key punch test, in fact I blew the others away, since I could type at 60 words per minute.

I got called to come down to the jobs office and when I got there a youngish white woman in her 20's closed the door and said, "Mr. Lunarminer, you scored the highest score on our test and you have the most qualifications for the job. So, I am required by law to offer you a chance to accept this position. I would encourage you to turn this position down, since you do not fit the demographic data that we are looking for."

I said, "Let me get this straight, you have to offer me the job, but you are warning me that if I accept it, I would be let go for even the most minor infraction because I am not a minority, or a woman?"

She said, "I didn't say that, but that is about the size of it."

I said, "You did in fact say exactly that. However, I will decline the job for the reason that I don't choose to work in a hosile environment."

She then had me sign a document stating that I had "voluntarily declined" the job.

That's one example, I could give you dozens.

Here is another one. I go to school full time and I ride mass transit. I was standing on the train stop last night. A woman comes down the stairs, yelling, "Only in black America...." She repeats this several times, and goes on describing her frustration at having to pay an extra 1.75 because her transit card didn't have the correct amount on it...etc. She is standing there 3 feet from me yelling all of this into thin air. There are dozens of people on the stop, I am the only white guy. She continues to do this for about 3 minutes and getting more and more agitated. Going on and on and repeating, "Only in black America..." When it becomes obvious that I am the target of her outrage, I quietly moved down the train stop about 30 yards. Then she shuts up. Not another peep is heard from her. Her train comes and she gets on. This entire display was intended to make me feel uncomfortable with her predicament because somehow it was my fault because I have white skin. If that is not racially motivated agrivation, I don't know what would qualify.

These things happen, on a daily basis, and most of the time eveyone just ignores it and goes on. Just as I did last night.

So, to say that somehow a minority is more sensitive to racism because they are faced with it but those of us in the majority don't know what it is like. I say, BS we all see it, we all experience it, and to some degree we all participate in it to some degree.

Before someone says, "You don't know what it's like to stand out in a crowd because of your skin color." I would point out that I have traveled to over 20 different countries, I have been to Japan, India, Mexico, and other countries where I did not speak the language, where my racial differences were obvious, and where I have stood out. I made most of these trips on business, and spent a considerable amount of time in some of these. It is really not much different than my experience on the train stop.

Anyway my point is that we need to be sensitive to racial issues, but we don't need to be hypersensitive to them. Not every insult comes our way out of racial motivations, not every slight is because of our skin color, not every political cartoon is a racial slight.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

EDIT: to add that the people who are going on and on about how this isn't racist are completely ignoring the point that *the POTUS is being compared to a chimp who went crazy and had to be put down*

It's not only offensive on racial grounds – it is offensive because suggesting that the president should be shot is not appropriate for any news media, cartoon or no.

No. YOU and a few others are making that distinction. That is NOT what I see, and I will call them as I see them. I'm the last person to defend the right, most of the time I can't disagree more with them, but in this case, it is VERY clearly NOT racist. It was a CARTOON linking 2 VERY prominent news stories together, if it said "now we'll have to find somebody else to TOUT or SELL the stimulus bill" I would have to say I agree, but it clearly says WRITE, and that indicates that the bill is NOT INTELLIGENT and could have been written by apes. Jesus tapdancing Christ.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by 27jd]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
You're just upset because the majority disagree with you on this subject. Get over it. I recall EVERYBODY chiming in that it's RIDICULOUS to be overly sensitive to political cartoons back when the muslims were rioting and wanted to kill the artist who depicted their beloved prophet. Get over it.

Do you WANT racism to continue? I think so.

Perhaps it's upsetting to some that they've lost their grounds to complain nonstop and obsess over skin color, and they are desperately trying to cling to whatever "racism" they think they can find and cry about. Maybe Al Sharpton can get a real job now.

Well I'm not actually upset. How would you even know if I was upset. As I said before I'm not going to shed a tear on the subject, just simply state my opinion. i'm not being overly sensitive there are waaay more posts defending so i'm just making sure everybody sees the other side of the discussion.

Now all of a sudden I want racism to continue. So you're saying that whether it is or isn't racism, my calling it racism is continuing racism. Thats some crazy logic you got. So lets play devils advocate for a sec. Say it's a fact that the toon is racist. Should I say anything about it then?

Now you're saying some "people" have lost their grounds to complain so they cling to whats left of racism. Are you getting all of this based on my posts. You would be highly ignorant if that was so. Honestly poverty is one thing but when people look down on you before they know you based on your skin color it's arguably the worst feeling in the world.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

i immediately saw the ape as a symbol for at least congress if not the entire government. i think only people looking REALLY hard see the president there.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd[/i

No. YOU and a few others are making that distinction. That is NOT what I see, and I will call them as I see them. I'm the last person to defend the right, most of the time I can't disagree more with them, but in this case, it is VERY clearly NOT racist. It was a CARTOON linking 2 VERY prominent news stories together, if it said "now we'll have to find somebody else to TOUT or SELL the stimulus bill" I would have to say I agree, but it clearly says WRITE, and that indicates that the bill is NOT INTELLIGENT and could have been written by apes. Jesus tapdancing Christ.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by 27jd]

Take a deep breath, it'll be okay.

Are you a regular New York Post reader?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join