It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 13, becomes father

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Boy, 13, becomes father

news.ninemsn.com.au

A thirteen-year-old British schoolboy has become a father.

Alfie Patten and his girlfriend Chantelle Steadman welcomed Maisie Roxanne to the world four days ago, The Sun newspaper reports.

The couple decided against having an abortion after discovering Steadman was 12 weeks pregnant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I soon as i read the title of this article I felt sick in my stomach. Then I could not believe the parents of these CHILDREN have let it all happen with a devil may care atitude.

Honestly, if you don't think the world is going to hell in a hand basket then you must be living under a rock. This is just pathetic.

I am so angry and sad on so many levels, at so many people, and at so many "authorities" over this...oh the shame of it all...

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
This happens alot here in the U.S just download some Jerry Springer videos and you'll see much worse going on as well.

On topic- the kids of the kids are doomed unless the kids parents get involved and stay involved. I haope the parents of the kids are not like "I't's bedtime" and the boy's like what? you can't talk to me like that I'm a man now!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
This happens alot here in the U.S just download some Jerry Springer videos and you'll see much worse going on as well.

I bet it happens more in the UK! lol, who knows. Any statistics on this somewhere?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I don't know why you're so angry. Just because it doesn't fit into our cultural values or mores.

I'm certain it happens in many "less civilized" or poorer societies on our planet, but we just don't hear about it.

Yes, in order to fit in our society their parents will have to raise this child, so they can continue their educations in order to become good tax paying workers and take care of themselves and their new family.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I'm sure there is just google it I'm at work so i'll not do it now. The topic of teens having kids is almost everywhere you could go, nothing to do about it but educate them on how kids will ruin their whole entire lives.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Well this story makes you proud to be British! (Note: Sarcasm)

Do some kids have no brains at all and equally the parents, who are said to be "backing" their decision, seriously all I can ask is why?

At least they'll be in the papers and all the celeb trash for a week, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Its pretty crazy, but the little baby is in the world now so lets give them our best wishes and hope for a bright future.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
If I had a child who was 13, and he got a girl pregnant...and told me he didn't want it aborted....

I would be angry that he was stupid enough not to use protection, and that is it. 13....urge after urge after urge....I wouldn;t be at all surprised that he gave in to those urges and had sex.

Not having an abortion, that would actually make me proud. Abortion is wrong for all but the most extreeme cases, and the fact that they didn't have an abortion is in my eyes a good thing. EVEN if the child ended up being taken away, it is better than it not being born at all.

So yes, there were mistakes...but I don't think the parents can be blamed for them.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I bet it happens more in the UK? That supposed to be some sort of a jab?

It happens all over the world, don't see trailer parks full of people with 13 kids in a family over here mate, or a woman with 14 kids whose just set up a website so you poor saps can pay for her kids...

[snip]

As far as the abortion comment goes, you're right it should only be used in extreme cases.. this is one of them, I've got the paper in front of me thats it shown in, the baby girl was conceived when the lad was 12.. In this country thats not old enough to get a paper round!
That kids quality of life is gonna be terrible if left to these 2 KIDS themselves. Let's hope the grandparents step in and show some responsibility instead of having another scrounging family who never get jobs.

The 13 year old is also quoted as saying "I don't know how much nappies are but I think it's a lot" lot of preparation and thought has obviously gone into looking after this poor baby..

[edit on 13-2-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

Edited to remove inflammatory comment. Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

[edit on 13-2-2009 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
What is the legal working age in the UK btw? Obviously the parents of both will be footing the bills for awhile till both the 15 yr old mother and 13 yr old father start working real jobs to pay for the care of that innocent baby.

Well best of luck to them!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Phoenix is right. Statistically speaking we have the worst rate of teenage pregnancy in the world.

Its a vicious cycle though; because what happens is:

a. teenager gets knocked up.

b. clearly she wasnt a bright spark to begin with, but to top it off she will be unable to get good grades from her education.

c. ends up with low career prospects in a dead end job, so chooses to take benefits instead.

d. the only option is to have further children to increase the benefits amount.

e. her children are incredibly more likely to be teenage mothers themselves

Those who chose to take the exact opposite path (ie taxpayers) are left with the bill. Honestly I can't see this situation becoming better any time soon. The government needs to eliminate welfare (which they can't do politically); hence there is no respite. Things will continue to go downhill.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by 44soulslayer]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I've worked since I was 16 but it was only part-time in a restaurant so it was cash in hand work. Its either 16 or 18.

Unfortunately soulslayer I think you might be right, the situation the kid had been brought into will more than likely mean them following the same path, surely instead of abolishing benefits (something that will NEVER happen) they should try and start some kind of program for at least low level qualifications for people in these circumstances. Spend the taxpayers money on something useful

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
she was 15 and he was 12...PIMP

20 bucks, (or 13.5 pounds) that she was a babysitter, watching his ass while the parents were down at the pub sippin some bubbly

Look, they can make it..but yea, they're quality of life is gonna suck compared to other people their age...but only for about 3 or 4 years...cause by then all their friends will be knocked up.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
We must be shoring up the numbers for the next world war.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The grandparents of this baby bear a significant responsibility for the lack of parenting that aided this happening.

They should and likely will share the joy (or burden, depending on how you see it) of raising this child.

There is no way in hell that a child of 13 or even 15 years old can comprehend the reality of the situation at hand. Everything our parents told us was true, you just don't come to an agreement until you are either a parent or a seassoned adult.

Kudos to the families for allowing the baby to live.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Funny how people are outraged at this story, but then they are the same people who see it acceptable, that children as young as 5, are being proposed to have sex education taught to them in future (here in the UK)!

Face it, the only reason 13 year olds (and younger) are haveing sex in the first place,is because they were taught as young as 10, they get fixated on the subject and eventually (with a little help from main stream tv and its fixation on sex) they will have sex as a result! At 13 years (and younger), they are hardely mature enough to realise, that unprotected sex has concequences, so to blame them is hardly fair!

If sex education is held off untill 16 years of age, there would be far, far fewer cases of this happening, at least if it did happen at 16, they are legally old enough and mature enough to take responsibility, also wise enough to see the value in protected sex!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by User4372

You cant blame the kids for this, I have a 10 year old and an 8 year old and I would hold myself fully responsible if this happened to one of my kids , the parents are totally to blame for this.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by rhondaandphil]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
why does a 15 year old girl want to have sex with a 12 year old boy? i think theres alot more to this than the media want to portray - and that the boy is the victim here and has been used by the older girl.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Saf85

How can you say sex education at an early age makes kids go out and have sex, what a ridiculous thing to say, kids go out doing things like that becos they havent been taught right from wrong by there parents and are left to roam the streets and do whatever they want.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join