It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than $83 million spent on Prop 8

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

More than $83 million spent on Prop 8

www.msnbc.msn.com

SAN FRANCISCO - Donors spent more than $83 million to support or oppose the ballot initiative that abolished same-sex marriage in California, according to campaign filings released Monday.

The new filings cover the weeks immediately before and after the Nov. 4 election. They show that elected officials, businesses, churches and individuals poured more than $28 million into the campaigns during the contest's closing days.

The final tallies show that opponents of Proposition 8 raised $43.3 million in 2008 and had a little more than $730,000 left on hand at year's end. The measure's sponsors raised $39.9 million and had $983,000 left over.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
So think about it, 83 million dollars to stop two consenting adults who love each other from getting married. Think about all that money these so called "christian" churches could have used to stop poverty and help depressed people around the world. But NO! Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs so we can't let it happen, EVER! (Sarcasm)

Saying this as a straight female, it still bothers me because people are entitled to have equal rights, regardless of sex, race, age, gender, religion, etc. Civil unions are just another way of saying, separate but equal. I though we were supposed to be over that forty years ago?

Allison

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm truly disgusted with california and they're religious groups at the moment for prop "H8te" as i like to call it.

This is ridiculous i can't believe they spent 90 mil just to keep me and my husband from getting married. Thank god i live in Canada where we recognize people's right to love whome ever they choose, without penalty.

It's funny, i wish Christians would start acting Christ like and stop being Christian-Ish. Seems they're causing more trouble in the name of they're god than good.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Amazing amount of money, indeed. S & F for you OP.

Here is little video (by Lewis Black, not for kids though, lewd language AHEAD, boohoo, lol, do not click on it if opposed to the bad words) which explains how silly we Americans are on this issue...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Seems they're causing more trouble in the name of they're god than good.

~Keeper

Yeah I have always found that quite ironic. Especially I have heard many of some fundamentalist types say that "god is love"

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It worked, so apparently it was money well-spent.

One minority wants to impose their will on a majority?

Whine, whine.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

Thanks for the vid! Really funny but so true, which is extremely sad.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
God is only love so long as it fits they're ideals of what's right or wrong. The whole concept of loving everyone no matter what goes straight out the window when you're something that's even remotely different from they're very messed up points of view.

Now that being said i have met some very level headed, extremely well mannered and sociable Christians who are by all means great. They have their faith and don't push on others, and don't condemn others based on they're personal decisions.

We should move the don't ask don't tell policy from sexual orientation to religion, save ourselves a world of trouble.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper

Who wants to impose whose will on who? All these people want is to get married! To love! That doesn't have to be anyones buisness but the consenting couple themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

It worked, so apparently it was money well-spent.

Whine, whine.

Im sorry dooper but if we didn't ,then blacks wouln't be able to marry or vote.

Your idea of minorities vs majority is flawed. It's not about us wanting something you don't have, it's wanting something all of you take for granted everyday.

We just wanna have the chance to be as miserable as the rest of you.

Why would it bother straight people if we got married? Were not talking anything away, were not imposing anything on you, we want our GOVERNMENT to aknowledge us....we could care less about straight people and they're religious complexes and false ideas of marriage.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Amazing. Think of all the children that could be put through school with that, or fed when they are hungry. Think how many single mothers and children could be supported or illegitimate pregnancies prevented (with contraception not abortion.) How many people could have had their utilities paid for when ends coudln't be met. How many uninsured could have had their medical bills paid for.

Stopping the gays is just so much m ore important, I guess.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Whine, whine.

Nice try, but in this case its simply the majority imposing its will on the minority. Gay marriage doesn't affect anyone but gay couples, so they should be allowed to get married and enjoy all the rights straight people do.

In 20 years people will look back on this proposition like we look back on segregation. It's all just bigoted nonsense.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Gays want to do the nasty, fine. You don't need to ruin the concept of marriage for that.

While there seem to be a number of outspoken folks for gay marriage, there are a lot against it.

Gay marriage?

For what?

To legitimize an aberrant behavior.

That's it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Gays want to do the nasty, fine. You don't need to ruin the concept of marriage for that.

While there seem to be a number of outspoken folks for gay marriage, there are a lot against it.

Gay marriage?

For what?

I'm guessing you've never been in love with anyone?

[edit on 2-2-2009 by drwizardphd]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Who are you to judge what kind of behaviour is good or bad? Who made you god?

And what this about ruining the concept of marriage? I think las Vegas and reality TV ruined it for you people a long time ago.

There is NOTHING scared about marriage anymore, no more than your television and your microwave.

I would get off the high horse dooper, not to be rude, but you seem to think you're the better judge of wrong and right.

How can people tell me that they're opinion, they're *faith* is better than my own? Nobody can do that, but God, and since he doesn't show up to let us know what he thinks very often, i'm gonna trust myself.

All of this gay hate stems from bigotry and homophobia. The world changes, and so must you, religion included.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Gay marriage?

For what?

To legitimize an aberrant behavior.

That's it.

How does that ruin the concept of marriage? It's expanding it to include everyone! And what makes it nasty? Oh, I know. Preconcieved notions that have been taught to one since they had been born. Personally, I don't find anything nasty about homosexual people. Lesbians don't even scare me!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The point is: Where do we draw the line? I hope there won't be proposition in the way future that goes in favor of inter-species marriage (i.e. bestiality). But that's far-fetched.

Basically, its a civil rights issue. The gays do have the right to get 'married'.

But again what goes on between the sheets is not 'natural' by design, seriously. I cannot emphasize that enough!

The love, however, between people is there and I could see how happy any couple appear together regardless of their same sex situation.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Well, once this gay marriage thing gets through, there's nothing to stop a bestiality thing.

Let's see.

Oh.

Then pedophilia is something these cranks can work on.

After all, no judgments!

Tolerance!

And for the record? I think it's an aberration. I think it's abominable. And my opinion is just as good as anyone's.

Right?

Respect and tolerance, and all that?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

So think about it, 83 million dollars to stop two consenting adults who love each other from getting married.

Please read the article you posted. The entire $83 million did not go to support the bill. Your article (and cited text) breaks it down by opposition and support.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

True but still look at the big picture here. People in this country are spending millions over their views on marriage while people around the world and including this country are starving. I guess having a culture war is better than having a war on poverty or hunger.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join