It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Octuplets' mother wants Oprah to turn her into a $2m TV star

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
This is a truly sad and blatantly obvious attempt at extorting money from a gullible American public by using those that are most vulnerable as a pawn in the game. Not unlike the Dionne quintuplets of Canada in the Great Depression. IMHO, this woman is nothing but a self-serving narcissist who needs professional help. Her doctors should be joining her.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I posted this on another thread which pretty much shows how IO feel about this. I have compassion for women who struggle to have kids, but being a scammer is quite a different thing.

"Well it seems she really can afford it, the bidding war on the story is currently at $3 million. AND afterwards she is working on her own reality show as a "child care expert".

Which way to the nearest fertility clinic - I am having 14 embryos implanted. I don't even care whose. I mean with my own show and $3 million dollars I don't even need to speak to the kids when we're not on camera, I can get nannies.

Wait wait I have this all worked out. I wouldn't want to lose my figure by having so many babies myself, those tretchmarks would be awful, and I wouldn't want people to say I risked endangering any of the precious babies, that would be bad for my reality show, so what I will do is:

1) Take fertility pills, then go to a clinic have the necessary 20 or what embryos created;
2) Go to India and have two implanted into 10 Indian surrogate mothers on the same day - much cheaper than doing it in the States - also called outsourcing;
3) When the babies are born collect them all and pose for the cameras because I am so incredibly fertile and the world will love me and my children!!

Yeah ME!!!"

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Please pardon me if I'm restating something that has been discussed prior...the thread has become fast moving enough I probably did, but did anyone catch this part?

www.orlandosentinel.com...

In 2008, Angela Suleman filed for bankruptcy, claiming nearly $1 million in liabilities mostly due to a bad housing investment, her bankruptcy attorney said. Suleman said Friday that she had withdrawn the filing and paid her debts.

I've decided I'm just not playing this game right. I go to work 5 days a week for at least 8 hours a day and there's no way in hell if anytime last year I faced an unpayable $1 million debt, I would be sitting here a few months later with that debt paid.

Apparently the way I should be playing it is: disabled, in school, living with my mom and dad...because it sure seems to be paying the jack to this woman. There's something mighty mighty fishy about this deal. Let's get straight, the response is not "maybe she has money of her own"...no, she filed bankruptcy last year. That means she made $1,000,000 since that time.

o_O

[edit on 2-1-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong.. but isn't having octuplets simply a coincidence?? I don't see why people are treating her as if having 8 babies at once was her choice.

The truth is she had 8 babies at once.. by chance.. and she is going to need help. Or, would it be better if she just had 8 abortions?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
Please correct me if I am wrong.. but isn't having octuplets simply a coincidence?? I don't see why people are treating her as if having 8 babies at once was her choice.

The truth is she had 8 babies at once.. by chance.. and she is going to need help. Or, would it be better if she just had 8 abortions?

It would be pretty stupid to pay to have doctors insert multiple fertilized embryos and then abort them, wouldn't it?

Your question doesn't even make sense concerning this situation. She didn't get knocked up...she went and paid to get impregnated and requested multiple embryos to make sure she got it right.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Your question doesn't even make sense concerning this situation. She didn't get knocked up...she went and paid to get impregnated and requested multiple embryos to make sure she got it right.

Wow, I must be out of touch.. thats how people have babies these days??

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Hi Hikix, here are basic facts:

1) The woman has no husband - none of her children were created through physical intimacy between her and ANY man
2) The woman has six children through the same process already, one who is autistic already, and all six under the age of 7.
3) She chose to have all of the embryos implanted at the same time
4) She is on welfare
5) She lives with her parents
6) She tried to declare bancruptcy last year
7) She appears to have done this in order to get a TV show

Do you need more reasons why we aren't applauding her fertility. In short she isn't actually fertile, just able to carry babies to term. So her claim to being fabulously fertile is even fallacious.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Okay let me throw another spanner into the mix here (to mix metaphors). This woman worked at a fertility clinic and is obviously a scammer, are all these embryos that she had implanted actually hers? Remember it is very unusual that any medical facility would freeze 13 embryos from one person. So I say DNA test these babies and there might even be a bigger story out there.

Okay okay I do like a good conspiracy!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Wow, now I'm even more uninterested in this woman then I was before I didn't read anything about her. Maybe everyone else should adopt my attitude.. because if noone is interested in her, she won't be getting any attention.. or money!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The truth is she had 8 babies at once.. by chance..

The truth is she had 8 babies at once .. by choice.

She went to a fertility dr. and had all 8 implanted. She wanted multiple births even knowing that the large number would mean that there was a good chance that some would die.

Originally posted by justgeneric
Christ even Brangelina haven't collected that many kids ..

YET.

I'm glad you used that term - collecting - because that's what they are doing. They can afford it of course, but it's still 'collecting'. Jolie said she wants a dozen kids from different countries PLUS their own birth children. And this last time around they did the fertility doctor route and specified that they wanted twins.

These aren't hockey cards, or Wedgwood pieces...these are people.

You are right. And yet there are some people who get bit by the baby-collecting bug. There is a psychological term for a 'pathological need to adopt' - but I can't remember it right now. Some can afford it. Some can't. But in either case I do wonder how much attention the children will get from the parents.

Remember Mia Farrow

Farrow has 13 living children, including three fathered by Previn and three adopted during their marriage, one fathered by Allen and two adopted during their long relationship, and several more children Farrow adopted through UNICEF as a sole parent. In addition, a 14th child died of heart failure, and a 15th was adopted as a crack-addicted baby, and died in infancy.

For the most part only a psychologist with direct access to these people with large families can determine if it's a pathological need to have/adopt children, a fulfilment of religious requirement, or if it's a well balanced decision on the part of the parents. However, looking at this single parent woman with no income and 14 kids - all under the age of 8 - I'm thinking something is probably of balance with her thought process.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
So I say DNA test these babies and there might even be a bigger story out there.

Oh my. I hadn't thought of that. You could definately be on to something. I hope they inventory the 'stock'. Some people may be missing their popsickle-kids.

Good point Mynaeris.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
wow wow wow ( thrice indeed !!! )

What exactly is happening here ?

A female is breeding and isn't it her right to do so ?

As for the help she is going to get ; well , octuplets have an inherent value which the single kids , on their own , do not have .

Tax payers are obligated to care or help care for these kids ; it's written in the very acts and statues which governs USA .

Feminisation of Rationale' , muslim style .

With her 14 kids & degree ; she is set for life .

Her story alone would be worth millions and of course the curse of having to bring these kids up , under the scrutinty of media lights , is another thing for her to ponder about .

Regardless , these are American Kids and they will be famous world wide in due course .

Who says Yankee hates Islam ?

Goly Gosh

Social Engineering thru witches & bitches , who would've thought of that !!! .

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
TRANSFER NOT IMPLANT.

If doctors knew how to implant embryos they could solve a lot more infertility cases. The press changes the words of physicians all the time. Implantation occurs after transfer when the embryo attaches to the uterine wall (hopefully).

Language is important. Do not give the pro-lifers more ammunition due to misuse of language.

Anyway, no reputable reproductive endocrinologist would transfer 8 embryos into a woman with her medical / reproductive history. Something is seriously amiss.

I agree that it is possible some of them are stolen, but in someone so young it is entirely possible to have 13 or more embryos frozen from a stimulated IVF cycle. I've heard as many as 30 plus on some of the infertility boards. (Older women rarely get more than 10 to 15 to freeze, if any from a casual look at the self-reported internet information.)

For a conspiracy theory:

Nadya was part of an egg-sharing cycle that got a very large amount of eggs that fertilized. She got half or less. Another couple paid for the procedure.

Assuming the other couple had success they may have decided to allow the frozen embryos to be destroyed. Nadya found out and stole those to have them transferred into her uterus. This assumes an inside job with the former co-worker who is the supposed sperm donor at the clinic.

We have no idea who did this or where it was done. None of this smells right.

This woman should be under police investigation for child endangerment. No sane person transfers 8 embryos.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mlowsley

I like your conspiracy theory too. I think before Oprah puts her big fat foot into YET ANOTHER controversy she may want to wait and see how this plays out, but like the recent book scandals she will probably pay the woman for ratings, spawning a generation of baby breeders.

Soon there will be competitons to see who can "transfer" the most embryos, or who can be the oldest woman who can have eight embryos "transferred", or who could host the greatest varieties of embryos.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Since the medical community is condemning this as fertility treatments gone horribly wrong, I doubt there is going to be a competition! She endangered all of her children with this action. Honestly, I have no sympathy for her and have trouble believing reports that she is a "good mother."

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The woman really does have all the psychological earmarks of a "collector" personality.

Did she do any of this with ill intent toward the children...probably not.

there was a lady here who collected cats, dogs and rodents. Lived in a one bedroom apartment and it was bursting with pets, none of whom were getting proper care or attention. She didn't have the time, income or any sense of consequence to having so many animals.

She was a drain on everyone who knew her...time money and attention came from outward sources, yet the lady felt it was ALL her doing that saved these animals from a terrible fate.

In the end her illness as a collector was proven when many animals were finally taken from her care and most had to be put down due to their poor health and medical issues.

She said she was a doing a good thing for them and honestly believed it. She never understood why she was in trouble and seemingly never understood that she actually condemned many of the animals to death due to her lack of ACTUAL ability to care for them all.

She had many degrees and years and years of experience in animal care, yet she never, even when the animals were dying right in front of her, saw that she was actually doing them harm. She has been banned from having animals, but insisted that she would not stop her attempts to "help".

This woman with all the babies is really no different and I'm comfortable using the comparison to animals as I doubt she has a "normal" connection with her children. Her children are a vehicle for her and her convoluted thinking. She's obviously given no thought to their welfare (of the original six and her newly born octups). In her mind no other is more capable than herself.

She's the curator of her own personal collection.

There should be a HUGE investigation into this including a full psych on this woman. I agree that the way in which invitro is done it is unlikely they are all from the same donor and she may have stolen them.

I'm sure there's more to the story, and in a way I hope it stays on the back shelf and that the woman never get's the publicity she's looking for.

As for Oprah...you'd think her lawyers would be advising her to avoid this like the plague...but ratings are ratings right...if not Oprah some other show will use this woman as their vehicle.

Money is a funny thing too...14 children X 400,000 to raise them to age 18. Uhmmmmmm she'd need a few million per YEAR to sustain a family that large, hire enough epople to care for the babies, have three vehicles on the road at any given time, and a few million in reserve each year to cover additional unforseen expense for those 14 kids...dymetapp is what 8 bucks a bottle X 14...diapers, formula, gripe water, wet wipes.... so let's say an odd 5 million a year for the first 5 years. After that things get even MORE expensive...there is no way a family of three adults (two of whom are older and likely won't live to see the babies graduate) to even adequately care for 14 kids.

How is she going to raise 5 million per year???? how would she raise even a low estimate of 3 million per year??? Even if she remained on welfare they do have a cap...and it's sure as heck isn't going to be party time at her house on welfare day.

The fact remains: most prepared COUPLES cannot truly afford to have one single child - yet this single woman is 100% certain she can manage 14. The reality is that these babies like her previous 6 aren't raised solely by her. her family takes on a lot of the burden and now she's expecting society to take on the burden of keeping her collection healthy.

Dividing her time between all of those babies alone is impossible...she's a child expert and you'd think she'd know that...they will suffer as will her first 6 kids. For all of her experience and supposed knowledge she must know how important time and energy is to children...it is selfish and incredibly unfair for her to expect 14 kids to accommodate her schedule - it's supposed to be the other way round.

Look at the actual numbers and see how absolutely ludicrous this is.

I think she should be deemed mentally incompetent and or negligent. Child endangerment at the least.

We all have a right to breed. The reason most do however is not so that they can be famous.Most have babies because of selfish reasons...to pass on teachings, family name, to fulfill a human destiny of sorts...however MOST have the knowledge that even one child is a HUGE responsibility.

I question the mentality of a woman who feels so above the average human that she truly believes bringing 14 kids into the world is perfectly fine and doable. What planet is she living on??? one is barely manageable for a 2 income household on average...how is she above that?

The kids will suffer...even if she has millions. It's just too much for one small family of adults to manage.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
My question is why are the media not following up on Mrs Babybreeders disability claim? From the article below that I read this woman injured herself while working as a psychiatrist's technician to the extent that she could no longer work? and THEN started having babies once she was on disability (she must have been getting money from somewhere). My questions then are:

1) How does a 26 yr old get so disabled that she can no longer work in a psychiatrists office? and
2) With this chronic disability she now starts her career as babymaker and has 14 kids? I realize that being disabled doesn't prevent a successful pregnancy, but I would think carrying eight babies at a time would be a serious problem?

In closing has journalistic investigation died?

"Friends and family said Suleman worked as a psychiatric technician until she was injured on the job several years ago. Then she began having children and enrolled in college, earning a bachelor's degree in child and adolescent development and returning to pursue a master's in counseling before dropping out last year."

babymama

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
How the hell was she able to pay the physician for the IVF when she is UNEMPLOYED?? Anyone?!! This is beyond absurd! And the doctor should be shot for fertilizing her, not to mention with numerous embryos.

I really wish this sick person would be jailed, but that would just cost us more money. Just sick that this even transpired and no one stopped her and she must be living off the system

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Seems I got my answer to the above questions. At least we can say this woman had a plan and carried it through.

"Suleman's mother told CBS News Nadya paid for in vitro fertilization with money from a legal settlement after a work accident. "

I am speculating she never really got hurt, and if she did that it was minor and won with an ambulance chaser as her BFF

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This woman's behavior is simply the by product of an overdose of "reality TV" in our society. The reality is simple, the reality shows are a product of producers, directors, editors and even writers.

The purpose is to entertain and sell ad space. Some people see this Hollywood creation as "real" and just eat it up. This woman is clearly no exception. She is in fact delusional. She won't get a dime and she'll cry foul. It is a pathetic story and her 14 kids will have to live with her disappointment for the rest of their lives.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join