It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness and Free Speech

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

We should protect our right to use whatever words we like because if you take that right away you make criminals out of people that shouldn't be criminals and or oppress the freedom of the people. This is about freedom.

but how can words affect our freedom if they don't mean anything?

let me know when you get tired - I can do this all day

:-)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by deenamarie53

sometimes it happens

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I didn't say that WORDS could effect freedom, I said that restricting the use of words and other opinions effects freedom. If I can not state my opinion because that could make me a criminal, that law takes away my freedom.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

TasteThe Majick....Didn't you want free discussion? One not censored by your own personal viewpoints. Otherwise this becomes circituitous with no other outcome than having everyone agree with your personal opinion.

Do you see any merit in stating...."You may have a point there"?

That's not relenquishing your opinion---it's merely giving due consideration to a thought that you haven't considered.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
reply to post by blupblup

But it's a little immature of you to come around posting and then complain about the very posting that you're doing. No one put a gun to your head and made you post here.

What are you talking about?
Where have i complained about the posting I AM DOING?
Seriously....you are not being very clear?

Let's turn this around. Let's say that your opinions are under fire. What if there was a law saying that your words were hurtful to others. Obviously you don't think that they are, but some law does.

What would your opinion be then?

as i pointed out in the other thread... which i would urge everyone to read... I am not a BIGOT!!
I don't go round spouting racist and offensive rubbish so i have no worries... your argument falls at the first hurdle unfortunately..

So as you flipped this (your words) I'm guessing you want to be able to say retard and racist rubbish and whatever else?

What is your point?
What are you trying to say?

Pleas, please don't come with the words don't hurt... NOBODY agrees with that...
Let's get some closure and try and wrap this up, cos it's a little boring and simple to keep saying your "words don't hurt... and sticks and stones" rubbish...

[edit on 1/2/09 by blupblup]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I just said a couple posts ago that I don't really care what anyone elses opinions are. I do want an open discussion. But shady questions that only get re-asked when answered directly is not open conversation. Say it how you like. I don't care.

I'll still state my own opinion on the matter. That shouldn't bother you.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I would like an answer to the question I posted. In case you missed it, here it is again:

And take for instance a child who is verbally abused by a parent. (Sadly, this is everyday life for many children.) A little child being told by a mother or father that he/she is unwanted, useless, a burden... Do you think that the words are just "sounds" to that child? That they can not harm?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

I would like an answer to the question I posted. In case you missed it, here it is again:

And take for instance a child who is verbally abused by a parent. (Sadly, this is everyday life for many children.) A little child being told by a mother or father that he/she is unwanted, useless, a burden... Do you think that the words are just "sounds" to that child? That they can not harm?

I've been waiting with bated breath for the answer to this question as well.

Shall we have it?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Words only hurt those to ignorant to realize that words can't hurt you!
I have had people confront me and question my mothers virtue by way of my parentage.Those are just words...They left no scar or bruise.

By the way, in your situation, this child would not have been taught that words can't hurt you and so, would fall under the category of being to ignorant to realize that words can't hurt them.

No one else should be punished and restricted for other people's ignorance.

EDIT: Yes, I missed that question.

[edit on 2/1/09 by TasteTheMagick]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I didn't say that WORDS could effect freedom, I said that restricting the use of words and other opinions effects freedom. If I can not state my opinion because that could make me a criminal, that law takes away my freedom.

and I thought I was stubborn :-)

reread what you just said

I've already said - I agree - if you are not free to state your opinion - you have lost your freedom

we agree - again

what is it we use to state are opinion?

what are those things...right on the tip of my tongue

is it words?

OK - now I'm just being snotty

I said I could do this all day - but that wasn't true - have to go now

but - I'll come back - because I'm still interested in your answer

if words have no power - why do we fight to defend our right to use them?

and just so you see how this applies to your OP - by determining what words mean - and whether or not we can say or not say something - we've already established that they have meaning - and they have power

so - what is political correctness then?

toodles

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Just so we're all aware of the OP's stance on how insignificant words are...
here are some replies from the other thread.
I could fill a thread with this but three will suffice.

Sorry for the mixup. But you SHOULD be able to say ANYTHING. People don't need to be "protected" from words. They're not hurtful. So what if I call someone a few names? It really DOESN'T hurt anyone. People that find words to be hurtful need to grow up.

Can you explain to me how words could be more hurtful than physical attacks? I almost wish you were joking because that is the funniest sentence I have ever read in my life.

Oh someone called me a nasty four letter word...
how will I ever move on?

I've been bullied...the words don't matter. It's a silly thing when adults are complaining about words. They're not harmful.

I don't get it because you're not making any sense. A word is meaningless. If you're going to take it personally, allow it to stick in your mind and be a big baby just because a stranger said something to you. By all means go ahead.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I just said a couple posts ago that I don't really care what anyone elses opinions are. I do want an open discussion. But shady questions that only get re-asked when answered directly is not open conversation. Say it how you like. I don't care.

I'll still state my own opinion on the matter. That shouldn't bother you.

What shady questions???

Your opinions don't "bother" me (probably anyone else here for that matter) BUT we did take an interest in your opinion enough to respond.

After posting a cool topic...and then saying "I don't care what ya'll think " just smacks of "pouty".

If you're ears are closed then there's no discussion to be had.

It's all moot, IMHO.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You are now contradicting yourself. You hardly makes sense at all. Apparently a child can be hurt, but that is only because that child hasn't been taught that words can not hurt.

So you are admitting that words actually CAN hurt?
Good. Now you are getting it.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I can agree with you, but those opinions can't HURT other people. I keep answering you and you keep going around in circles, even though I'm pretty sure that we agree here so I don't understand how we could be arguing really.

Now to everyone else: I don't believe anyone answered my question.

Let's turn this around. Let's say that your opinions are under fire. What if there was a law saying that your words were hurtful to others?

Obviously you don't think that they are, but some law does.

What would your opinion be then?

What if you could be punished for expressing your own opinion of wanting to be politically correct?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I answered that...but as usual you choose to ignore or dodge questions..

So as you flipped this (your words) I'm guessing you want to be able to say retard and racist rubbish and whatever else?

What is your point?
What are you trying to say?

Pleas, please don't come with the words don't hurt... NOBODY agrees with that...
Let's get some closure and try and wrap this up, cos it's a little boring and simple to keep saying your "words don't hurt... and sticks and stones" rubbish...

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I will try to answer you question:

I would try to communicate my opinion with non-offensive words. If you open a dictionary, you will find that there are many, many words to chose from. You might want to try it sometimes.

(Right now I am communicating my opinion with non-offensive words, by the way. I am not writing what I actually think of this thread and your arguments. You see, that would REALLY be offensive.)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I keep answering you and you keep going around in circles, even though I'm pretty sure that we agree here so I don't understand how we could be arguing really.

we agree on one very important point

we do not agree on another

I'm not going around in circles - I'm repeating the same question over and over

that's just as annoying - I know

just wondering what your answer will be

now - I really do have to go

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Actually, there are a lot of people that agree with my saying that "words don't hurt". If you read the beginning of the thread, clearly, there are people that agree with me. Currently, I can say whatever words I want. But legislating that I can't is a breech of my freedom.

I really don't care if you disagree with me.

Maintaining that words hurt is pure ignorance. Aren't we supposed to be denying that here?

Oh wait, that's right. That's my opinion. The one I'm free to have just like everyone else should be free to have.

Words are not offensive. Every person will differ in their opinion to what is and what is not an offensive thing to say. This comment is directed at both you and the other poster who answered my question.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

We're just going to have to agree to disagree then, which I'm fine with in all senses. At least we had a conversation that wasn't about the war. I wouldn't really say that you're being annoying...a tad frustrating maybe...but again, it's all based in opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join