It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness and Free Speech

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
reply to post by blupblup

I didn't run away from the last thread. In fact, I have the last post in that thread.

As far as the "happy holidays" thing goes. Here's a story from the state I live in: Happy Holidays

Sorry but using YOUR logic she should have been fired.
She has rules and regulations to follow in her JOB.
It's her job so she has to do as she's told....

Sorry that's your own logic...

And YES it was proven but you need to READ the proof in order to understand it, not carry on blindly repeating yourself.

Anyway, i can see this going the same way, so I'll run away myself and leave you to your latest HATE thread......

Enjoy

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Yes, she should have lost her job because she refused to do something that was part of the rules of her job. That's not the point. The point is that there shouldn't BE a rule saying that she MUST say "Happy Holidays".

You didn't prove anything. Statistics can be twisted in the favor of any outcome. You say that I'm running away from these conversations, when you're the one that keeps doing that. Why did you even post if you didn't want to discuss the issue?

This is not a hate thread, it is a freedom thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

We do have free speech, we can currently say all of those things whenever we want. My point is that legislating that people MUST be politically correct at all times would be a breech of that free speech. There are no derogatory words. A word is nothing more than a sound.

I hate all the political correctness as much as you, TasteTheMagick, but I have to disagree with your claim that words have no power.

We have in our society children that are called names like retard, stupid, worthless....etc, all their lives. And guess what? They become what they have been "conditioned" to believe about themselves.

Not all children are degraded in such hurtful fashion. Nor do all children of verbal and emotional abuse wind up emotionally scarred---but the prisons and reformatories are testament to humans with eroded self-esteem.

Words in and of themselves hold no power--correct. The power of words comes into play when we intend to praise of punish another person.

Also, would you stand up in a darkened theater to yell "FIRE" and call that safe and sane? We do have speech....but sometimes there are serious consequences to expressing your rights...

You have a good post for the times we're all in TOGETHER.

S&F

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You never absolutely proved anything. It is subjective, you can't be hurt by a sound.

Uhh.... that's why military's have audio/sound weapons that can disable and induce sickness in enemies?

Words not hurting is bad enough.... but SOUNDS now....Seriously???
You gotta be joking?

I have to leave.... it's just too funny!!!

[edit on 1/2/09 by blupblup]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deenamarie53

I hate all the political correctness as much as you, TasteTheMagick, but I have to disagree with your claim that words have no power.

Unfortunately, that's herm entire argument.... and it's ridiculous.
words cannot hurt you.....

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

When you find someone who can speak at the same sound frequency that these weapons are using, then MAYBE you'll have a point.

I said that a word is just a simple sound. That's not going to hurt you.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

No, as my quote proves....you said sound can't hurt you.
As i said...why not read up on the subject, check out some psychology articles... you clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about??

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Weeelllll, don't drag me into your 'lil tiff there blupblup. That reminds me of ganging-up with someone else at their expense. Like the office story above

Anyways, I think the PC topic went a tad astray.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

It's already been said more than once that words are only hurtful to those to blind to remember that sounds can't hurt you.

You do not take into consideration that people are different. I have been hurt by words a few times in my life. To me it is simply not true that words are only "sounds". On the contrary, words can be very, very powerful.

And take for instance a child who is verbally abused by a parent. (Sadly, this is everyday life for many children.) A little child being told by a mother or father that he/she is unwanted, useless, a burden... Do you think that the words are just "sounds" to that child? That they can not harm?

I am sorry, but if you really believe that, I think you must know very little about how the human psyche works.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by deenamarie53

not dragging you into anything or "ganging up"
... just using your quote to point out a fundamental flaw in the argument.. words cannot hurt?
possibly, with the exception of the GFL thread here, the single most ridiculous thing I have read on ATS.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I know what I'm talking about, I've taken psychology classes. This is still my opinion and dictating what opinions other people can have is wrong. You haven't proven anything, you're taking what I'm saying out of context.

This is about Political Correctness and it's effect on free speech. Clearly, when political correctness is this rampant, people become so weak minded as to think words could actually hurt them. Legislating anything that would limit free speech in a way that would force everyone to speak politically correct would turn us into a fascist country indeed.

"Correctness" can be twisted into anything. It could easily be argued that "mentally challenged" is more offensive than "retarded". That would just be one person's opinion against another. That's the way it should be. Everyone should be able to say whatever they want.

With legislation you make the public weaker minded than they are even now and you allow some opinions to be classified as "better" than others. You could even prosecute people for having a difference of opinion. This is fascism.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I'm not taking what you've said out of context, merely showing how ridiculous it is.

You repeatedly said...words cannot hurt, words do not hurt and every variation of.

even advising people who were hurt by words, just about every single person on the planet (with the exception of your good self of course) to "grow up".

Sorry if that seems a little difficult for you....

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

It's already been said more than once that words are only hurtful to those to blind to remember that sounds can't hurt you.

I can see how much you like that saying, but you do understand that that's just a sentence - we can all write sentences - it proves nothing - it solves nothing

it doesn't make me go away

Again: The fuss is about the fact that everyone has the right to voice their opinion. Restricting that is a step towards Marxism.

no need to play the Marxism card - it doesn't answer my question either

and I've already said - I have no arguments with you about our right to express our opinion

and I have no desire to let our right to free speech disappear - I'll stand up for that right with or without your help

so - you say words have no meaning - they cannot hurt

why should we protect our right to use them - if they have no meaning - if they have no power?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

It's always a good thing to try and bring some clarity of thought to what we see as erroneous logic.

I just think that bright posters, like yourself
(hehehe, I read around) could help rather than hinder.

That's what I wuz thinkin'.

oops---my wurds were s'pose to have been made to blupblup.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by deenamarie53]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Excuse me, but you're still wrong. If anyone says any amount of words to me, I don't care. They are just words. Whoever said those words has the right to express that opinion. It really doesn't effect me.

Spiramirabilis:
We should protect our right to use whatever words we like because if you take that right away you make criminals out of people that shouldn't be criminals and or oppress the freedom of the people. This is about freedom.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

so - you say words have no meaning - they cannot hurt

why should we protect our right to use them - if they have no meaning - if they have no power?

EXCELLENT point.

Wish I would have thought of that.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by deenamarie53

It's always a good thing to try and bring some clarity of thought to what we see as erroneous logic.

I just think that bright posters, like yourself
(hehehe, I read around) could help rather than hinder.

That's what I wuz thinkin'.

oops---my wurds were s'pose to have been made to blupblup.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by deenamarie53]

I would love to help, and thanks for the compliment
, but i see this as an exercise in futility, :bnghd: it is pointless to argue/debate with someone who's fundamental (quite boring now in fact) argument is that words do not hurt, cannot hurt and have no effect on people?

I mean seriously.... you tell me how i can help and what i can/should do to move this forward or get something done?

I'm all ears my friend.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I'm not wrong.... READ peoples posts... i said with the exception of YOU!!!!
everyone on the planet has been and is hurt by words.... where in my post am i wrong....

calm down... take a deep breath, and get back to me

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

You know, if you're so bored, you can leave. You still haven't proven anything about how words can hurt people. All you do is criticize my way of thinking. It's not so much that I care, you can think whatever you like. Your opinion is different from mine and I really couldn't care less.

But it's a little immature of you to come around posting and then complain about the very posting that you're doing. No one put a gun to your head and made you post here. It's also immature of you to take everything out of context and make these little jokes.

But hey. Those are your opinions and these are mine right?

Let's turn this around. Let's say that your opinions are under fire. What if there was a law saying that your words were hurtful to others. Obviously you don't think that they are, but some law does.

What would your opinion be then?

What if you could be punished for expressing your own opinion of wanting to be politically correct?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Ummm, words as "food for thought". And....

Rome wasn't built in a day, eh.

We're just laying it out....as others who would use words without regard to being politically correct or not. Realizing the power they do hold, whether others realize it or not....or yet presently.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join