It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio church protests gay marriage ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Ohio church protests gay marriage ban

www.djournal.com

Clergy at a church are protesting Ohio's ban on gay marriage by refusing to sign state marriage licenses for heterosexual couples.
The Rev. John Tamilio III, head pastor at Pilgrim Congregational United Church of Christ, said the move is a civil-rights protest. Ministers won't sign the licenses until gay unions are legal in Ohio.
Ohio voters approved a gay marriage ban in 2004.

Heterosexual couples exchanging wedding vows at Pilgrim Congregational will need an additional civil ce
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
WHAT?!?!?! What is all of this about, a church protesting gay marriage ban. I mean seriously, since when were the religious-types concerned about the rest of our 'civil rights'???

This is totally confusing, I am getting mixed signals from religion in general.

I wonder if every other church in the country will declare war against this church leader for supporting civil rights for EVERYONE???

Nevermind, they are not the only one.
Seriously, are we going to see a clash between religious people who are FOR civil rights for everyone, vs. religious people AGAINST civil rights?

The church says at least five other UCC congregations three in the Minneapolis area, one in Oregon and one in North Carolina have undertaken similar marriage protests.

www.djournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-1-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
Seriously, are we going to see a clash between religious people who are FOR civil rights for everyone, vs. religious people AGAINST civil rights?

I certainly hope so! It's about time ALL people realize we have to obey the law of the land and grant Constitutional rights of equality to EVERYONE.

I think this is great. My brain twisted a little when I read it but I think it's fantastic!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Definitely going to agree with you on this one BH. I hope that religious-types are coming to their senses and realize we are all the same. All enduring the same battles... and all are equal.

I hope this gets attention. It just boggles the mind, after seeing so many arguments on here about why gays are not entitled to the same rights.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I am really just surprised nobody has any thoughts on this one, considering all of the hatred that is usually thrown at people who are different.

This is like, totally opposite. Everyon agrees this is a good thing?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Hey neighbor.

I agree with you on this, it is a good thing, but a CHURCH protesting civil rights... to the right to gay marriage...WHAT

I think it is a good thing anyway.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

I think this is a good thing as well.

Will the rest turn? Not in my lifetime.

Some actually blame gay people for the failings of the world which is absolutely ridiculous.

But then again, I don't know why it's so important to have the piece of paper anyway. I'm not married, although I call my woman 'wife'. It's not a big deal. I don't need a church to show togetherness or whatever you want to call it.

Doesn't matter to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hey neighbor!! And David.

Well, props to the church leader for putting out a message of tolerance, in a world full of hatred. He had to have known he would get some slack for taking such a position...
Seems unpopular, with all the other religious vs. gay threads about.

Times are getting really weird, in a hurry. It's like, we've suddenly been thrown into a different dimension, how quick the world is changing.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Times are getting really weird, in a hurry. It's like, we've suddenly been thrown into a different dimension, how quick the world is changing.

You mean one where the Arizona Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl? Never thought I'd see that in any dimension.

All kidding aside, I thought this was interesting:

I hope that religious-types are coming to their senses and realize we are all the same.

I won't hold my breath but maybe it is happening. Religion is such a mind-funk that most, at least most I have ever known, are so brainwashed they really have no clue about the real world. They go to church and meet with other brainwashed people who tell them they are right, there's no difference of opinion. They can't see the other side because they are just too brainwashed to see it.

I remember when I stopped going to church. Sunday school teacher was railing against rock-n-roll, about Satan and all that. I was wearing a Kansas shirt, a band with openly Christian members.

Dude was brainwashed or just plain stupid, take your pick.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
you must be kidding to think this is a good thing.............it's a publicity stunt from a church..........

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The United Church is the most progressive of the mainstream Churches, and the most radical and have honored gay unions for quite some time I'm actually fairly glad my children's great-grandfather was a united Church minister. Good for them to take this stand, they have integrity! All people must be treated equally, irregardless of their age, sex, racial origins, sexual orientation, and health. And all people deserve substantive equality, equalizing of resources.

top topics

join