It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandman441

Originally posted by spinkyboo
reply to post by sandman441

Do you wear masks when you start getting this kind of ash in the area?

Your supposed to.

I think it would be a good idea.
-
Since you are just seeing the ash on the car - because it has landed - so to speak -
there will still be constant movement of the particulates in the air.
Protect yourself.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Also high wind adv in effect tonight.. Anchorage the dust bowl once again.. Severe weather moving both from the S and the SW.. Some rain would be nice :-)..

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
We get those wind warnings about once a month it seems.

I can't see any ash here at home yet. I called my Wife and she has some on her windshield downtown. She says it has a strong sulfur smell and there is just a tiny bit on the window.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Another eruption.. This should be a fun night

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Yea the smell is definetly there - got to love sulfuric acid in the mornin..

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Just noticed that. Looks like Redoubt is no where near done yet. I hope it has a break soon. I have an employee I need to get up here from Fargo to get out of that disaster ironically

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

That's right, there is some flooding going on eh? I know the travel thing is going to stick for a bit. I spoke to an airport 'person' friend today and they said day flights are still getting in and out ok but not under these current conditions hu.. Eeek.. Would you call the folks who have the oil an tell em to move it away from the Drift like right now!? :-)

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen

Sorry, no contacts in that industry. Lets hope the levees hold.

The airport is shut down and they won't know for a bit when it will open again.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Well darn Blaine - you dont know anyone? Me either unfortunatly - otherwise Id be callin em..Yea, I hope they hold alright cause there is NO excuse at this point.. We need all them fish to keep the Anchorage bears fat hehe otherwise just sitting ducks.. Heard they are awake early and a guy already got put up a tree..

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen

I saw that last week about the bears. Maybe the volcano got them up and active. I have the answer about cats behavior. They continue to sleep all of the time and don't actually care.

I'm finally getting the odor here. I live near Abott Road near 72nd.

I can't get over the irony that I'm calling someone in Fargo to tell them I can't fly them in tonight because of the Volcano.

I've got a big box of masks, goggles and air filters so bring on the ash

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Well, that has got to stink - your employee really wants to get away from the mess but you cant bring em to another mess :-) I kind of like that hehe sort of the wave of the future I think! Welcome to the big ol mess.. I cant ever judge where the ash is going to go by trejectory models and the current puff prediction is really funky, at the moment, so not sure if the morning will work.. See which way the wind blows I guess..

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by akjen

Well I guess we got off lucky for to long. We have a good dusting here now. I guess I'll go duct tape around the garage doors. Have a good night.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by akjen

I can't get over the irony that I'm calling someone in Fargo to tell them I can't fly them in tonight because of the Volcano.

Yea - what are the chances??!
Poor employee - must be feeling rather weird about now.
Wear those goggles and masks!

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

If you can get them into Fairbanks, they could take the train to ANC...
just a thought...
Or into Juneau/Ketchikan, then take the ferry to Whittier.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by Elostone]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Some interesting activity visible at REF station (and webicorder) began at 23:53 AKDT in the form of very frequent small earthquakes (about 30 per 10 minutes), perhaps precursor to another eruption. A similar activity, but smaller in intensity, occurred just before the small eruption of 19:22 AKDT.
Unfortunately my connection with IRIS servers is down, so I can't make audio samples or spectrum views yet.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Yea, whoa that is interesting! Too bad I have to get some shut eye cause I'd like to see the result..

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I forgot to add a link to the webicorder: REF webicorder
Discrete earthquake frequency rose to about 7/minute. They're small though.

AVO's latest observation update speaks briefly about this:

2009-03-29 00:23:34
Repeating earthquakes started at 23:52 AKDT and are continuing at this time.

Ash fall has decreased in the Anchorage area, and will likely continue into the late evening hours as the cloud passes over the area. An ashfall advisory remains in effect until 1 am Sunday 3/29. Seismicity at the volcano has declined, but remains above background.

For updated ash fall advisories, refer to the National Weather Service Redoubt Coordination web page

[edit on 2009/3/29 by Shirakawa]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Now am I confused? or do repeating earthquakes usually indicate plate motion along fault lines? Not sure I like that idea.. Also there is some funky at Iliamna.. Avalanches I'm thinking but....

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Some good webcam stuff today but for some reason the buttons to insert the link are gone?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5e32ab2246f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
has any picture been posted or any reputable reports as to what is going on in the crater been seen by anyone .. is a dome being constructed, or just pure venting so far ???

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join