It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska - Mt Redoubt Volcano could erupt within days

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I called it first! Not in any psychic way ...

Maybe you can ask for points on your space junk/satellite thread ... If only you'd talked about their potential risk of a collision

[edit on 23-3-2009 by violet]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Actually I think AVO and every other informed person called it.. Very little chance this puppy would NOT go off :-) considering the history of this amazing mountain.. Redoubt will, more than likely, go off again soon..or..quiet down and call it an eruption. Time will tell..

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02ba65d63356.jpg[/atsimg]

The best image so far. Its getting toward sunset, so must be the last for today.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

It really is very beautiful isn't it?
Nature.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Beautiful picture.
Have you had a chance to see it in person?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Latest updates:

2009-03-23 19:59:03

A new explosive eruption has just occured at Redoubt starting at 0741 PM AKDT. Radar indicate a cloud height of at least 60,000 feet above sea level. We will put out more information as it becomes available

Video feeds:
Raw footage of ash fall in Susitna Valley
link

More from AVO

2009-03-23 20:29:11

A sixth explosive eruption occurred at 7:41PM AKDT. The National Weather Service has posted a new ashfall advisory: pafc.arh.noaa.gov...

Mudflows are occurring in the Drift River valley and pyroclastic flows were observed in the AVO hut webcam descending the north flank of the volcano.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ANCHORAGE AK
823 PM AKDT MON MAR 23 2009

AKZ145-241300-
/X.NEW.PAFC.AF.Y.0004.090324T0423Z-090324T1300Z/
SUSITNA VALLEY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...TALKEETNA...WILLOW...CANTWELL
823 PM AKDT MON MAR 23 2009

...ASHFALL ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM AKDT TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ANCHORAGE HAS ISSUED AN ASHFALL
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 AM AKDT TUESDAY.

REDOUBT VOLCANO...ON THE WEST SIDE OF COOK INLET...ERUPTED AGAIN
THIS EVENING AT 0741 PM AKDT TO A HEIGHT OF 60,000 FT. MODELS
INDICATE LOW LEVEL LIGHT ASHFALL WILL TRAVEL INTO THE SUSITNA
VALLEY THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN ASHFALL ADVISORY MEANS THAT ASH WILL BE DEPOSITED IN THE
ADVISORY AREA. PEOPLE IN AREAS OF ASHFALL SHOULD SEAL WINDOWS AND
DOORS. PROTECT ELECTRONICS AND COVER AIR INTAKES AND OPEN WATER
SUPPLIES. MINIMIZE DRIVING. LISTEN TO YOUR RADIO STATION FOR
FURTHER INFORMATION.

NWS

[edit on 23-3-2009 by violet]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Whoa, just fabulous! Talkin to folks SW now...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Short two frames animation I made:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/86bebdbfaf1eb252.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Well that sure brings it to life.. Thanks - although I have a feeling the worst is yet to come :-)..

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
A few photos of the ashfall around Redoubt volcano have been posted in the official AVO media gallery:

Link

[edit on 2009/3/24 by Shirakawa]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I and my car visited N. OR when Mt. St. Helens blew and the ash in air filters becomes a real problem, hope the folks in AL have a few air filters around. I wonder if electric cars would be better in an ash storm although not being so heavy they may not be so great on snowy roads.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I made a video with sound from NCT and DFR seismic stations of the sixth eruption/explosion of Redoubt Volcano:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Hmm... in the last few dozen minutes the trace spectrum of the closest stations to the summit of the volcano (I'm speaking mainly of REF though) has changed to something which looks like rock cracking at a high frequency rate. This could mean that pressure is building up inside the volcano again and that a new explosion may occur soon.

Of course, it's just my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

lol touche.

But, I called it in a timeline. EAsy to say it is gonna go off. It is a volcanoe after all. But much harder to predict in a timeline.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I have a silly question. Please dont poke fun..

but when they say ash rises 60k feet. Is that from sea level or from the top of the volcanoe? or is there an option C?

Nevermind, found the answer, it is sea level.

How high is the summit?

[edit on 24-3-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Awesome sound and vid, you created!!

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Ash plume heights are ASL - above sea level.
It's also specified on official reports.

EDIT
As a sidenote, REF is getting bumpier as time passes:

Spectrum view of the last few dozen minutes:

[edit on 2009/3/24 by Shirakawa]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Latest status report by AVO

REDOUBT VOLCANO (CAVW #1103-03-)
60°29'7" N 152°44'38" W, Summit Elevation 10197 ft (3108 m)
Current Aviation Color Code: RED
Current Volcano Alert Level: WARNING

Redoubt remains at Aviation Color Code RED and Alert Level WARNING. Seismic activity at the volcano is currently relatively low, and no activity is observed in partly cloudy web camera images. Pilot reports and satellite images indicate that a steam plume is currently rising to at least 20,000 ft asl and drifting at least 40 miles to the northwest. We have no indication that the volcano is currently emitting ash, though explosive activity could resume with little or no warning.

The last explosive event occurred last night (March 23) at 7:41 pm (AKDT) and lasted for roughly seventeen minutes. The top of the ash cloud was estimated to have reached at least 50,000 ft above sea level based on National Weather Service radar. Winds in the vicinity of the volcano carried the ash cloud primarily to the west and north. Pyroclastic flows were visible traveling down the volcano's north flank in web camera images. Last night's explosive event was the sixth thus far since explosive activity began Sunday, March 22 at 10:38 PM AKDT.

Yesterday, AVO staff visited the area around Redoubt by helicopter to assess conditions and repair equipment damaged by Sunday night's eruptions. They fixed the telemetry link at AVO's observation hut, which is once again transmitting images from the web camera and data from a GPS and two seismic instruments. Clouds obscured the summit, but observers reported very large lahar and flood deposits in the Drift River Valley that likely occurred during and/or following the first five explosions. These flows, which contained ice, water, mud, and other debris, inundated the Drift River Valley and traveled more than 35 km, reaching Cook Inlet. In the middle to upper Drift River Valley, high-water marks reached 6-8 meters above the valley floor. At the AVO hut (roughly 7 miles NNW of the summit), a 6-cm thick fall deposit was observed.

A gas-measurement flight is currently en route to the volcano.

AVO remains staffed 24 hours per day will issue further information as it becomes available.

For up-to-date Ashfall Advisories and wind trajectories, please refer to the National Weather Service website: pafc.arh.noaa.gov...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

No, I am about 3.5 hours drive from the best vantage point. That photo was from the hut camera on the AVO site. I've seen it often before though. The views from the Kenai Penninsula are some of the most spectacular on Earth. The best views are down by Homer.

If I get a good clear day on a day off, I'll probably slip down that way with a long lens and see what I can get.

Here is a crop from one I took of Augustine with a steam plume after it erupted a couple of years ago. The Ocean is completely covered with clouds and I'm above them on a point just outside Homer. This is part of the original which is Augustine floating in a sea of clouds during a spectacular sunset. The Internet truly does not do dynamic photo's justice though.

Right click and click "view image" to see it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22944a655400.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 3/24/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

I know and I was only kidding with my reply.
I missed last weeks postings and haven't read back on them ...

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join