It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird flu confirmed on Canada turkey farm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Bird flu confirmed on Canada turkey farm

www.alertnet.org

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Jan 24 (Reuters) - Tests have confirmed an outbreak of bird flu at a turkey farm near Vancouver, but it appeared to be a less virulent strain and posed little risk to humans, officials said on Saturday.

Tests on sickened birds showed they had H5 avian influenza, but it will be another day or more before the exact strain of the virus is known and its pathogenicity, the agency said

"Nobody has been infected by the virus," said Elizabeth Brodkin, medical officer of the Fraser Health Authority.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbc.ca
news.xinhuanet.com
www.newsdaily.com

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is the third time that Bird Flu has been found in Canada, the first time back in 2004. In the 2004 outbreak, they had to kill17 million birds.

An area of 3miles and the farms in cased therein are under quarantine.

This stuff scares the hell out of me. I don't worry that much about war or famine but killer diseases such as Avian Flu or Ebola scares me.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yup i agree friend, i live on the East Coast and we've had a few scares lately with some milk products and a couple of chickens here and there.

I dont' understand tho, it's funny how the West seems to inherit all these problems on a much larger scale then the rest of Canada.

Remember the Mad Cow Disease thing a few years back. I know it was over-exagerated but still.

Either way the scientists who examined the strain did say it was very weak and didn't have much potential to jump to humans.

That being said, we do have China right now with Avian Flu deaths on the rise.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Agreed it is scary, I live in Vancouver and this is the third time Bird Flu has been confirmed out in Abbotsford.

Abbotsford is also w ell known for having had as recently as 2007 a huge die off of ducks, as well as Montana, Oregon and Washington state and even idaho if I remember correctly. (note* it wasn't Bird Flu but rather a bizarre form of algae which caused the death of literally hundreds of thousands of waterfowl over a three-four year course).

This is scary! Considering the prolific numbers of crows this year (due to last years garbage strike) there are millions of crows with very large territories that could spread avian flu.

In abbotsford they anticipate the destruction of 60K+ Turkeys and other farms are being tested as well. There are many Poultry farms out in that area

Hopefully it's an isolated case.

[edit on 1/25/2009 by justgeneric]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Sars was mostly east coast. I just saw on the news they're killing tens of thousands of birds. I wonder how the insurance works on that. Anyways, I'd just like to say that this type of thing doesn't scare me at all, because i'm not sure being aware of it increases my chances of getting it.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Wasn't SARS in Ontario mostly, there was that one guy in Toronto who got quarantined, it was a big thing. I don't remember there being any cases on this end, but i could be mistaken i was in Mexico for most of that time.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Ya SARS was mostly Toronto but most people west of Ontario call that the East.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Does anybody know the total number of people have died as a result of bird flu?

I believe the numbers are low.

I imagine the poultry industry has to be heavily concerned because it could hurt them financially if their birds get infected.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Oh yeah, i forgot that they don't know there are 4 other provinces after Quebec haha.

but on a serious note anybody seen the other thread with the deaths of birds in NJ? Any relation? Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Oh yeah for sure it was Ontario....anything east of ontario is considered "eastern" i guess. My guess is it's all based around the time zones, which are learned on the cbc via puck-drop times....I remember at the time I was definately not in mexico lol!!
Yeah I dunno about things like this. Is someone working me up into a fuss for a small reason to further the machine, or is this some sleeping giant, this bird flu? "big fuss over nothing" has taken on a whole new meaning for me when it's on the news. Anyways, bc, take care! be home soon.....

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

No your right heyo. Sars was only in Toronto. My sister is a nurse and she had to wear masks all the time. Old folks homes were sealed. No visitors. I'm on the East Coast , we had nothing down here. Of course out west when they say east coast they mean Ontario and maybe Quebec. Nothing east of Quebec.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
We may be a forgotten province, but i LOVE NB all the same haha.

I don't think we've had much of any scares in relation to these things on the east coast. Alteast not any to warrant news coverage.

Then again the news sources in Moncton aren't the best either.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

From one of the articles linked in the OP.

According to the World Health Organization, 252 people have died from the H5N1 strain of the bird flu since 2003.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Well at least we have the Transcript. Pretty pathetic when you think about it . One newspaper. Irving owned.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

Somehow i knew you were from Moncton as well hahaha

yeah The transcript is pretty weak, but still, it's better than CNN or MSNBC in reality.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Back to the subject folks.

If you want to talk about our province, start a thread, I'll gladly join you in it.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Sorry mod, things are going really strange around the world lately. You have dead pelicans in California,dead bats in Mass and area, now dead birds in New Jersey. Now this in Canada. Really odd.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Remember the Mad Cow Disease thing a few years back. I know it was over-exagerated but still.

There's a lot more to the Mad Cow Disease, that stuff is all over the place.
new info is saying it could take up to 30 years to show up, it's in wild life all over. Killed a hole group of weasels in U.S., they had feed on something infected.
That's a whole nother cover up, Mad Cow.

And the Brits dug up some of those infected with Spanish flu, I'm sure they have live strain of the real thing.

[edit on 25-1-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Not too surprising that birds seem to be a visual clue for us earthbound dummies that something is seriously wrong.

Birds have a naturally high body temperature and are a great place for virus and bacteria as well as parasites to thrive. Their systems are very sensitive to atmospheric and environmental changes, even very slight changes can have drastic effects on bird populations.

They live in very close quarters as well so virus' and parasites are easily transferred and multiply through a flock.

Kind of scary for me here in Vancouver as chicken is really the only meat I eat these days aside from fish. Looks like going Veggy again might be a safer option...oh wait...even THAT isn't safe anymore...salmonella, botulism and Ecoli have been found in soil in the past few years....and on the veggies and fruits grown in them...

*sigh* maybe stop eating for a few months???? Might do my butt a world of good given what gravity and bad diet have done to it lately hahahahaha

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

Yea I didn't think about that the Bats could have Bird flu, they have wings. If not bird flu perhaps Mad Cow from sumcking the blood out of Sick cows.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join