It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG - What is this? - Dirty Energy Light Bulbs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Not good. I'm quite concerned about the mercury content, how many people read the box (i do, but many don't). You have to be extremely careful if you break one - read up on that bit:

Jumping jesus, I never read the box my house is full of them I've got boxes of them, they're giving them away free in the uK.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
There was a story on these bulbs last week on one of the current affairs shows (Today Tonight or A Current Affair) in Sydney.

Apparently these energy saving bulbs contain mercury

They showed how a fine white powder spills out when the globes are broken and they suggested that it is a good idea to glove up, wear safety specs and face mask and old clothes or a coat when changing them and particularly if one is cleaning up after a breakage.

They also talked about the various reactions to these by some people.

The story also contained an interview with a man (I think he was a scientist??) who has been stockpiling incandescent globes...he had hundreds of them so that he can still use them when they are no longer available. That may be the way to go.

I have a walk in pantry and linen closet so I am only using two in my home at present...that stockpiling idea sounds good to me

Thank you OP for the vid...

take care all
res

edit for grammatical errors

[edit on 25-1-2009 by resistancia]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Totally weak. I got one, don't sit so close to it. It is the same as a flourecent bulb, #ing bull# theory.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Kind of ironic I broke one yesterday. Cleaned it up.

So far however, I have no sprouted an extra pair of arms, nor broken out in a nasty rash or anything like that.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Further to my previous post:

They were giving these away free about two years when I was working in the city. Every so often, over a period of about one year, they would have a stand setup outside the subways and suburban stations and people would line up for them.

Seems this was a global initiative...

I got a few boxes of them and an energy saving shower head as well.

They are also expensive to buy. Expensive poison.

take care all
res

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
From the look of it, I wouldn't really call them "dirty" bulbs. They are similar to the bulbs people purposely lay on to get tans after all. They produce excessive UV rays. I'll continue to use them myself, but I will be getting the ones with covers I think.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
98% of the bulbs in my home are of the CFL variety. I employ LED's in my recessed lighting. I have had zero problems. My energy bills have been reduced dramatically and they run cooler in the summertime reducing the load on the AC unit. Everything has advantages and disavantages, but imo CFL offers more benefit than downside.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
All flourescent lamps contain mercury. Always have. If you notice the newer lamps have green colored end caps (where they attach to the sockets.) These are new (within the last couple years) environmentally "friendly" lamps. They contain less mercury than the older versions but at our electrical company we have to pay a company to dispose of them all the same because of the toxic matter inside. If you break one, use a damp cloth to clean the powder that comes out. Keeps it from going airborn.

Regards

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I replaced all the bulbs in my home with these. For some reason the color given off the GE type that is kinda a light yellow glow gives me the most severe migraines. As far as their replacement longevity nearly 1/3 of mine have burned out in less than 6 months. My dad whom used a cheap incandescent on his back porch laughed at me because I've replaced my CFL bulb twice on our back lot facing theirs and his has burned for nearly two years.

The sun bulb type works very well in a custom lid on my aquarium though as the plants grow better than standard aquatic equipment.

[edit on 25/1/2009 by toochaos4u]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I have those light bulbs (not exactly the curly ones, but those compact fluorescent) in my home for some 3 or 4 years now, and on my workplace for 5 years, and I do not know of any side effect.

Also, I never heard anyone complaining about them here in Portugal.

But I think that the white LEDs will be much better.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
DAMNIT MAN if this is true then i have to change all the lightbulbs around my house...GREAT.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Why am I not surprised about this story? I AM surprised, however concerning those people who have their apathy switch turned on. Some just don't care how toxic something is that goes into their household. These bulbs display the following properties:

1. contain mercury ( this is enough for me to not have them in my house)
2. emit UV light ( some like to tan, but this can also cause skin cancer)
3. emit RF radiation ( i think we are inundated with enough RF and we shouldn't be exposed to anymore e.g. wifi, cell phones, bluetooth, AM/FM/TV, etc ask some poeple who live near power lines.)

Why aren't these people commenting on camera? So that their hogwash can't come and bite them in the posterior later. This also means that they are aware of the issue and have been hoping that no one will look behind the curtain so that they can make as much money as they can before the whole thing is exposed. If they make enough, it can still show a profit after the lawsuits are paid off.

Sickening. Even though we have the technology (LED) to make this a non-issue, iut still comes down to the dollar.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Eco-bulbs 'a danger' to visually impaired

Worrying to say the least...

I find it strange that they have to OUTLAW the old bulbs (ESPECIALLY since it's the SUN that's causing the global weather changes).

[edit on 25-1-2009 by Jinni]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This can be used to pick all movement in d house from sattelite, radiation level is excelent.

Probably is better then ususal picking of cell phone radiation in closed rooms/bulding to reach/scan movement of personal in distorsion of singnal... it wasnt perfect since range needed is 30 m near house to watch movement

So it is better for monitoring of whole city buldings (inside)... from sattelite if we install small simple strong radiation tool inside every home.

Invent some application... for military, police and antiterrotrist units.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
What should be noted in that test video, is that the lady never moved the meter away from the bulb, always held it within 3 inches distance.

Obviously at that very close range, your going to detect the accelerated level of the RF energy. DUH!!!

Now put the detector at 1 meter distance from it, which is average distance between someone and one of these bulbs when in use.

You will get a very significant drop in that measurement.

If they are going to publish tests like this, then they need to do this in a real world setting and not declare foul when doing tests in the manner that would imply that people stick their heads right up to a freaking bulb for hours at a time.

More fear mongering and propeganda by the manufacturers of tungsten bulbs and the energy companies so that they can convince people to put those energy hungry tungsten bulbs back into use and jack up that electric bill while at the same time jack up the costs per Kw hour so you end up paying more...no different than what the big oil industry did to gas prices, priced gouged everyone for years, now the electric companies want in on that game too, and this is how they are going to start their little devious plan...put fear into the people about a freaking light bulb!!

Wake up people. Your about to be dupped..once again!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Not surprising with ats nothings shocking anymore

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

Im In Sydney also.
The government has been sending people out to homes with boxes of them and will change all your light bulbs for free, they have been doing this for some some time now. I had some one come to my house a few months ago and i said no, because nealry all my lights in my house are downlights, which i am glad about now.
also ( i will try and find a source somewhere) i heard on the radio a couple months ago that all tradtioanl lights bulbs are already not alowed to be sold in the Australian Market, stores are only alowed to sell their existing stock.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

"It'll be illegal to sell a product that doesn't meet [an energy efficiency] standard, so that will happen by 2009 [or] 2010," Turnbull told ABC radio in Australia. "So by that stage, you simply won't be able to buy incandescent light bulbs because they won't meet the energy standard."

Source

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Regarding CFL bulbs- they only last longer if the light is not turned on and off frequently. If they are turned on and off many times during the day, they will burn out quicker than a regular bulb.

So much for saving money.

Personally, I hate the color of the light that comes out of them.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

The sodium bulbs do not produce light over the entire spectrum. Yellow light is ok for parking lots but not for household light.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join